Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Gonfalon Cubs > Discussion
Gonfalon Cubs
— Cubs Baseball for Thinking Fans

Wednesday, March 27, 2019

2019 Season Predictions

I suck at these, but they’re always fun to revisit after the season to get an idea of my state of mind from Spring Training.

1. Bryant will finish top 3 in the MVP voting.  I’ve been saying for years he was going to put together a truly monster season, and he looked on his way last year before his shoulder injury.  I’m talking something .300+/.420/.600.
2. Rizzo’s 5 year OPS+ stops, and he rebounds to a 140ish OPS+ this year (IOW, staying healthy)
3. Baez will keep most of his gains from last year, will actually increase his BB% (40BB, not including IBB), but won’t be as lucky as last year so some might think he’s regressed.
4. Schwarber will hit .250 vs LHP.
5. Almora will start more games than Heyward.
6. Russell will not finish the year with the Cubs.
7. Contreras will be an All-Star again (and deservedly so).
8. Caratini will finish with a higher OPS than Heyward.
9. Zobrist will retire after the season.
10. Quintana will have his best season in a Cubs uniform this year.
11. Hendricks and Darvish will very clearly be the Cubs 2 best SPs. 
12. Montgomery+other SP not currently in rotation will start more games than Lester.
13. The closer at the end of the season is not currently on the Cubs 25 man roster (but might be in their system already)
14. Morrow will appear in more games than Cishek.
15. Last year the Cubs used 28 different pitchers; this year, they’ll use more.  EDIT: 28 includes 5 position players, so 23 pitchers.  I’ll change this to more than 23 pitchers pitching.
16. Happ will have more PAs than Zobrist.
17. The Cubs will add a starting position player before the trading deadline. 
18. As part of the deal for that new position player starter, the Cubs will deal someone that is currently on the 25 man roster.
19. Cubs will finish top 2 in the NL in runs.
20. Cubs will somehow finish in the top 5 in the NL in ERA.
21. Chatwood will not finish the year with the Cubs.
22. The Cubs will be in 3rd place at some point as late as June.
23. The Cubs win their division by 5+ games.
24. The Cubs make another deep playoff run.
25. Joe Maddon will not be the manager in 2020.

Let’s say 94 wins.  Add your win total predictions, plus any other bold ones to this thread.

Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: March 27, 2019 at 04:56 PM | 127 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Vegas Watch
for his generous support.