Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Hall of Merit > Discussion
Hall of Merit
— A Look at Baseball's All-Time Best

Monday, June 30, 2003

1904 Ballot

This should be the most interesting election yet, the first one that is truly wide-open.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: June 30, 2003 at 03:59 AM | 104 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. DanG Posted: July 07, 2003 at 03:17 AM (#514920)
The next five years newbies, as I have them:

***1905 (July 20)?elect 2
   102. KJOK Posted: July 07, 2003 at 03:28 AM (#514921)
1. Jack Glasscock, SS, Value similar to Luke Appling.
   103. John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: July 07, 2003 at 03:36 AM (#514922)
I have McKean and Stivetts outside the HoM. Forget about the rest.

The newbies for 1906 suck eggs.
   104. Devin has a deep burning passion for fuzzy socks Posted: July 07, 2003 at 04:00 AM (#514923)
As usual, the last-minute ballot comes flying over the transom. (BTW, I didn't realize until this week that the WARP numbers were available to non-subscribers, which changed a couple of things.)

1. Old Hoss Radbourn. (3) I still have him ahead of Galvin, with a higher peak. And a couple of points on 1884. First, if people don't want to regard the UA as a major league, how much could it have watered down the NL? Second, it was also Galvin's best season. Third, I think Hoss's pitching every stinking day for the second half of the season has an impact even beyond his wacky numbers, because it led his team to a pennant, and it almost certainly hurt his career by damaging his arm. In my opinion (which I'm sure is not shared by all), this is a different situation than the usual career-shortening injury, because it wasn't random chance, it was the player almost literally sacrificing his future career to win a pennant now, and Hoss should get "injury credit" that isn't normally available. So I still think his 1884 was better than Galvin's even though Pud's 3 WARP higher.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
aleskel
for his generous support.