Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Hall of Merit > Discussion
Hall of Merit
— A Look at Baseball's All-Time Best

Monday, January 19, 2004

1918 Ballot

Voting is now open for 1918, where we’ll be electing one candidate.

We had some issues last year, so just a reiteration of the rules . . .

Voters must explain their ballot, at a minimum a sentence or two about the people they are voting for, preferably more.

You also have to explain why you didn’t vote for the returning top 10, this year that is:

Elmer Flick, Joe Kelley, Willie Keeler, Charlie Bennett, Jimmy Collins, Joe McGinnity, Bob Caruthers and Frank Grant. I suppose Sam Thompson and Rube Waddell are in the top 10 returnees, as well, though they didn’t finish in the top 10 last year.

Likewise, I think we should add another minor requirement/suggestion (I hate being the cop), if you are voting for someone who didn’t finish in the top 20 last year, it’s probably a good idea to give an in-depth (more than one sentence probably - unless it’s a helluva sentence :-) reason as to why. Convince us as to why we’re missing the boat!

John Murphy has written up the suggested amendment for requirements of new voters and for challenging a ballot, I’ll post it later today.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: January 19, 2004 at 04:34 PM | 106 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: January 27, 2004 at 06:16 PM (#521069)
Here is Rusty's explanations from last "year." Note: this is not his ballot.

3. Willie Keeler (2,-,-)

I'm surprised at the Wee Willie nay-sayers here. He is a sure thing HoMer.

4. Bob Caruthers (4,9,9)

He has jumped ahead of Kelley and Van Haltren for me (two players who are already in my personal HoM) after the discussion about him the last few weeks.

5. Joe Kelley (1,3,7)

Still a sure thing.

6. George Van Haltren (3,4,1)

Dropping, but I still think he belongs for sure.

Below here are guys I still support but are less automatic, in my eyes.

7. Elmer Flick (-,-,-)

I underrated him his first week.

8. Frank Grant (6,8,5)
   102. Marc Posted: January 27, 2004 at 07:10 PM (#521070)
I would add a "nod" for Rusty.
   103. Howie Menckel Posted: January 27, 2004 at 08:49 PM (#521071)
"Titus was a steady player for nine years with the Phillies, then hit a career-high .309 when traded to the Braves. Among his eccentricities were chewing toothpicks while batting and sporting a handlebar mustache long after they'd gone out of fashion."

also appeared in a 1909 magazine article in "Leslie's Illustrated Weekly" called "Marvelous Manipulators of the Bat."

A leg injury early in 1912 cost him his job when Gavvy Cravath took over, but he did last thru 1913 anyway.

He's the leadoff hitter on my All-Birthday team. We have Bobby Richardson batting second and Gary Gaetti fourth, but the rest of 'em are a mediocre lot at best.

None of which, alas, answers your question.
   104. Jeff M Posted: January 27, 2004 at 10:30 PM (#521072)
I didn't mean to rile you up Mark. My point was simply that "a nod" sounds a bit arbitrary, like "I'll throw him on the ballot for the heck of it." I also read your ballot to indicate it was as likely as not that you wouldn't vote for Williams again. Since it affects other players like Charley Bennett who are lower on (or off) your ballot, I wanted to guard against throw-ins.

Sorry if I offended you. Must be the lawyer in me. :)
   105. RMc's Burdensome Anonymity Posted: January 28, 2004 at 01:19 AM (#521075)
Upon further review, it appears I overreacted a tad. But...

It's not to be critical of 'creative voters'

Isn't it? By making the previous year's Top 10 sacrosanct (why not nine? or eleven?), you're enforcing groupthink. With forty-some voters (a number sure to increase), the occasional wild hair is not going to affect the results much, if at all. Don't be so afraid of your own voters. (For the record, I've been studying baseball questions for over twenty years...this ain't my first time at the sabermetric rodeo.)

<i>If I was less kind, I'd say, 'take that advice about getting over your respective self.'
   106. Jeff M Posted: January 28, 2004 at 03:08 AM (#521076)
Not a trial lawyer, I trust.

Thankfully no. :) Securities lawyer, but now a law professor. I take it you don't like trial lawyers? Oops, we may end up with a separate blog thread on that one. :) :) :)
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.