Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Hall of Merit > Discussion
Hall of Merit
— A Look at Baseball's All-Time Best

Tuesday, July 02, 2002

Seasonally Adjusted Win Shares for First Ballot (1906 induction) Canditates Update

I’ve received the spreadsheets back from the volunteers (David Jones, John Murphy and KJOK, thanks much!!).

I’ve been swamped and spent the last week at the SABR convention. All data should be posted by Monday morning next week, hopefully sooner.

What I’m planning to do is write up a summary of the data, I’m looking for suggestions on the format.

I see two options. The first is to create a separate thread for each position. The second is one long thread for everyone. I like the first option, but I can be persuaded otherwise.

In addition to the summary, I’ll set up links to the spreadsheets so people can do whatever they want with the data.

We’re getting close to an actual vote here . . . maybe by the end of the month?

I should have similar pitcher info by the end of the week of July 20. The only thing I need is some pitcher/defense split info from 1871-1900 (and some time/volunteers to use this to adjust some numbers, similar to the position player project). Charlie Saeger has been working on this, and I plan to drop him an email later today.

One other thing, I’m hoping to have a preliminary constitution up by the end of next week, so we can discuss it, modify it, and finalize how all of this will work.

Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: July 02, 2002 at 11:59 AM | 4 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Rob Wood Posted: July 02, 2002 at 06:27 PM (#509845)
Regarding whether we should have separate threads for each position, I could go either way. One thing that would argue for the combined thread approach is that many of the same methodological (or environmental) issues would come up repeatedly in the separate threads. Put another way, many of the "learnings" from the separate threads would presumably apply to the other threads as well.

I guess it could come down to whether we think the discussions will focus on specific players, per se, or on methodological/environmental issues.
   2. MattB Posted: July 02, 2002 at 07:12 PM (#509846)
It certainly wouldn't be too much more burdensome to have 10 threads instead of 9. The thread for each position would be helpful in clarifying the relative merits of the players at each position (like the previous Anson, Brouthers, Connor) discussion.

A separate global thread would be useful, though, for constructing a sensible ballot. If I conclude that Connor is the best first baseman, does that put him first on the ballot, fifth, ninth? Is my second first baseman better than my first second baseman?

A suggested structure for a monthly ballot:

First day of the month set up a thread for each position -- let people haggle about players for a while.

By the middle of the second week, set up a global thread. By then, consensuses (consensi?) have likely formed about the best available players at each position, and people can focus on structuring a ballot by looking at only the top two or three at each position.

Allow ballots to be submitted during the last two weeks of the month. (Allow at least two weeks because people take vacations). The global thread, or a separate Post Your Ballot thread would be a place for people to post their ballots when they submit them. People could either post their ballots early to try to sway voters, or wait until later when others have posted theirs in order to get the benefit of everyone else's opinions, and see which candidates could be most effected by your votes.
   3. Charles Saeger Posted: July 05, 2002 at 04:54 AM (#509847)
It's consensus, even in the plural, but instead of kon-SEN-sus, it's kon-SEN-soos.
   4. Charles Saeger Posted: July 05, 2002 at 04:56 AM (#509848)
Oops, that's kohn-SAYN-sus and kohn-SAYN-soos.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Marc Sully's not booin'. He's Youkin'.
for his generous support.