Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Hall of Merit > Discussion
Hall of Merit
— A Look at Baseball's All-Time Best

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Thurman Munson

Eligible in 1985.

John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: September 03, 2006 at 11:54 PM | 124 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. fra paolo Posted: November 18, 2009 at 01:37 AM (#3390003)
You pretty much cherry picked

It was accidental. He had 1278 games at catcher, and a ten-and-a-half year career.
   102. Lassus Posted: November 18, 2009 at 02:05 AM (#3390015)
I've really enjoyed piecing together the vanished kevin's comments.

I have little to add here except I was the same age as Donelson when Thurman died, and if it hadn't been for Lennon a couple of years later, this would have definitely been THE JFK moment of my youth. I was at swim practice, and a kid we called "Shivers" came up and told me that Munson had died in a plane crash. I remember almost nothing of him playing, but I remember that like it was yesterday.
   103. sunnyday2 Posted: November 18, 2009 at 02:47 AM (#3390039)
I like Thurman though he's not on my ballot. He and Elston Howard are the borderline backlog catchers. But I like Howard better.
   104. Jay Z Posted: November 18, 2009 at 06:14 AM (#3390190)
One interesting thing about Munson. He was excellent at going from first to third. I recently ran through the Retrosheet data and did some baserunning queries. Munson was one of the best ever at going from first to third - really a surprise as a baserunner. Ted Simmons was a little below average, plus he got thrown out a ton, so not so good. Worst ever baserunner (1954-2007) by my measurements was Bob Boone.
   105. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: November 18, 2009 at 08:30 AM (#3390230)
B-R has done all that work for you. You're right, Munson was a very good base runner. I don't know why league averages aren't showing up right now, but they were around 45% on taking the extra base during Munson's era, so he was well above that. Of course, he did make a lot of outs on the bases as well, at or near the league lead many times.
   106. DL from MN Posted: November 19, 2009 at 04:47 PM (#3391092)
I have Wally Schang as a little better, Thurman is currently my top pure catcher in the HoVG.
   107. Bleed the Freak Posted: November 19, 2009 at 08:03 PM (#3391391)
I agree with DL, Munson is my top pure catcher. I have him as just outside my PHOM, and would have no problem with his election. I'd rather elect too many catchers than other positions. I see Gene Tenace as a smidge better, while Darrell Porter is a bit worse, and Elston Howard is worth considering. I don't see any other catchers noteworthy of consideration.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
TedBerg
for his generous support.