Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Hall of Merit > Discussion
Hall of Merit
— A Look at Baseball's All-Time Best

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Yogi Berra

Eligible in 1969.

John (You Can Call Me Grandma) Murphy Posted: January 18, 2006 at 08:44 PM | 110 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Spivey Posted: January 28, 2006 at 04:13 AM (#1841236)
Also, I thought great teams generally undershoot their pythag record, not overshoot it. That's what Neyer and Epstein say in the Dynasties book, right?

I'm quite sure this is wrong. I own that book, and I think they said the opposite. Also, I ran through most of the teams listed in the 'All time great teams' thread in the Yankees blog - generally speaking they all outperformed their pythag prett damn well. The reason, I think, is simply because you need to have a lot of breaks to be an alltime great team (based on win%).

The "over .500" group had an actual win% of .571, and a pythag of .566.

The "under .500" group had an actual win% of .426, and a pythag of .432.

I stand corrected....

Well I don't think you stand *that* corrected. Your point is there, it just generally doesn't make much of a difference (mainly, because most of the teams that are above .500 tend to be like .501-.540, so it's not really going to be that big of an issue). I think once you start to look at all-time great teams (.650+) or maybe just great teams (.610+, or thereabouts) you'll see a larger effect.
   102. sunnyday2 Posted: January 28, 2006 at 05:07 AM (#1841285)
I think the hypothesis is diminishing returns. I have no idea if it is a true hypothesis or not.
   103. Spivey Posted: January 28, 2006 at 06:12 AM (#1841321)
I thought the hypothesis was more on the lines of a regression thing than anything else. If a team wins 65% of their games over a somewhat short sampling (a season), chances are they're great, but likely not that great. I could be mistaken, I've been wrong before. Once.
   104. sunnyday2 Posted: January 28, 2006 at 06:38 AM (#1841331)
I think the hypothesis is diminishing returns. I have no idea if it is a true hypothesis or not.
   105. KJOK Posted: January 28, 2006 at 07:10 AM (#1841355)
I thought the hypothesis was more on the lines of a regression thing than anything else. If a team wins 65% of their games over a somewhat short sampling (a season), chances are they're great, but likely not that great. I could be mistaken, I've been wrong before. Once.

I believe your correct here. Any .650 team is more likely to be a .550 team that got .100 'lucky' than a .750 team that got .100 'unlucky, etc.

Well I don't think you stand *that* corrected. Your point is there, it just generally doesn't make much of a difference (mainly, because most of the teams that are above .500 tend to be like .501-.540, so it's not really going to be that big of an issue). I think once you start to look at all-time great teams (.650+) or maybe just great teams (.610+, or thereabouts) you'll see a larger effect.

Yes, I didn't really construct the correct test, and now I do realize that what I was remembering was that REALLY GOOD or GREAT teams generally outperform their pythagorian win%.
   106. Joey Numbaz (Scruff) Posted: January 28, 2006 at 11:14 AM (#1841445)
Crap, I think I reversed the thinking, based on the 1998 Yankees. I know they said they were the opposite, so I must have mixed it up. I did hedge by saying, "I thought," and "right?". Thanks for clarifying it.
   107. Howie Menckel Posted: January 30, 2006 at 04:14 AM (#1843229)
Just watched a one-hour interview with Michael Kay on the Yankees' YES Network tonight.

Some highlights, you may know them already, or not:

- He had a 1942 tryout with the Cardinals, alongside a kid he grew up with in the same St Louis neighborhood named Joe Garagiola. They offered Joe G $500 and Yogi $200, but Yogi wanted 'Garagiola dollars.' So he turned it down.
- Yogi was on a 'rocket boat' 300 yards off Normandy Beach during D-Day. He talked about how it seemed like 'The 4th of July,' and how his boat shot down one of their own planes by accident.
- At some point Branch Rickey tried to get him for the Dodgers, but he went Yankees instead.
- Dickey was a huge influence; Yogi said he played everywhere BUT catcher before turning pro.
- He still gets fired up over that 1947 steal of home by Jackie Robinson. 'He's out,' Yogi said.
- He kept getting raises, so up to $19,000 in 1951. But he and Rizzuto still worked at a clothing store in Newark in the offseason.
- He loves the AFLAC duck, says you wouldn't believe how well-trained it is (I once had a mutual colleague tell a story where Yogi wanted the guy to know that the duck didn't REALLY always quack at that exact time). They showed a commercial from the 1950s with Yogi and a talking cat, for Puss and Boots cat food. Yogi said the voice of the cat was Whitey Ford!
- Yogi was the left fielder who watched Mazeroski's famous 1960 HR fly over the fence in Game 7 of the 1960 WS. Says he never thought it was going out, and that Mantle cried like a baby afterwards.
- Still married after 55 years to wife Carmen. Asked who he'd most want in a foxhole with him, he picked her.

I should mention that the last appearance I saw him at, he signed every autograph and posed for every photo that was requested. I've seen Rizzuto do the same several times.

I should note that I'm NOT a Yankees fan.

None of this relates to the HOM, but heck, it's not a controversial pick, so....

-
   108. karlmagnus Posted: January 30, 2006 at 04:30 AM (#1843247)
As a Red Sox fan I have to say he's by far my favorite Yankee, and even if he's #3 on my '69 ballot it's a STRONG 3!
   109. OCF Posted: January 30, 2006 at 06:52 AM (#1843448)
I finally ran Berra through my offensive system. The results put him ahead of Cochrane, Hartnett, and Dickey, peak and career. The best-hitting white catcher we've seen so far.
   110. jingoist Posted: January 30, 2006 at 09:20 AM (#1843570)
Howie;
You might not be a Yankee fan but after reading your report on Yogi's recent interview I'd be willing to bet you're a Yogi fan.
The again, who isn't.
He's perhaps the most self-effacing player ever.
To think, here's a true inner-circle HOF, soon-to-be HoMer, and he acts like he doesn't think he's any big deal.
And I just love the story about Yogi telling people that the duck doesn't always quack on cue; that's almost too precious.

If ESPN was smart they'd do a whole series of multi-program in-depth interviews with guys like Berra, Musial, Ford, etc; before it's too late and we don't have their thoughts and impressions for posterity.

I'll miss Yogi more than any other ex-ballplayer when he passes.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Backlasher
for his generous support.