Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Jim's Lab Notes > Discussion
Jim's Lab Notes
— Site News, Baseball Talk, and a Bunch of Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off-Topics, Politics, and the Redesign

FYI, in the redesign I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a new politics off-topic blog that I am setting up for the purpose. By default, members will not see these discussions in their Hot Topics until they opt-in to see them. In the interim I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a dedicated monthly thread (similar to the football, basketball, and soccer threads), which will be tagged as “politics”, marked as “OT:Politics” in the title, and which will include a disclaimer about the nature and tone of the discussion. I will also begin closing the off-topic political discussions in other threads.

In the redesign I also will be moving the sports-related off-topic threads to their own dedicated area. Like the off-topic political threads these threads will only appear in Hot Topics when members opt-in to see them. When this change takes place members will be able to submit news links to basketball, football, soccer, and golf (whichever sports that generate interest) articles, which will appear in their appropriate off-topic micro.

So, in the redesign people who wish to discuss these topics will be able to do so easily while people who wish to ignore such topics will be able to do so easily as well.

Donate to BaseballThinkFactory.org using PayPal.com

Jim Furtado Posted: May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | 1369 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 11 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > 
   1001. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 03, 2012 at 03:08 AM (#4146684)
Also, Jim i realized this thread isnt the first time I have told sbb off so if you gotta put me in dention go for it, just give me a cnance to really earn it.
   1002. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:13 AM (#4146691)
Now, now, no one needs to be put in dention. That's crazy talk.
   1003. Foghorn Leghorn Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:47 AM (#4146729)
but you know that some people give the Lounge a wide berth, so there's almost no chance they'll see it.
Every blog in the blogosphere links to something they read and comments on it. How does ANYONE consider that "talking behind someone's back"? Even stuff I have written.

Secondly, you have been in the Lounge. Everyone that says anything in there is well aware you could show up at any time. That's not "behind your back". It's in plain site for everyone that has commented here to see. That they don't go see is their business, but it isn't written in code.

Morty, I'm glad you know what people will say/do. You are clearly unfamiliar with USENET.
   1004. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:18 AM (#4146741)
I have been in Davey's house. I may have even pooped there.

I'm noticing that you didn't say anything about it being in the toilet.
   1005. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:10 AM (#4146755)
I turned Letterman down. Because, dude. So twenty years ago, Granpa.
   1006. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:14 AM (#4146757)
The Lounge is like the world's longest running exchange of rhyming slang. The Longthreads are like a tea party for people who couldn't get into Oxford's debate club. Dial is like a big talking rooster.
   1007. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:19 AM (#4146759)
When I talk behind someone's back I know I like to do so on the Internet.
   1008. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:32 AM (#4146765)
Dial is like a big talking rooster.

Like?
   1009. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:34 AM (#4146766)
The proper response is RDF.
   1010. DEF: hates freedom Posted: June 03, 2012 at 12:33 PM (#4146786)
Rob Deer Fanclub? What does that have to do with anything?
   1011. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 01:05 PM (#4146800)
TTO FTW.
   1012. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 03:33 PM (#4146915)
Wait! This dropped off of Hot Topics. Unacceptable.
   1013. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 03, 2012 at 03:34 PM (#4146916)
You must have forgotten to opt-in.
   1014. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 05:47 PM (#4146985)
So essentially, what we have is:

1. A group of people complained that they don't like the tone/insults/personal attacks of the politics threads.

2. Some of that group have nevertheless insulted and engaged in personal attacks in this very thread.

3. Some of that group go into the lounge where they insult and personally attack people who don't post in the lounge.

You can't make it up.

1015. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:00 PM (#4146992)
Ray, your error is at your first assumption. Jim's actions and decisions on the redesign have nothing whatsoever to do with the Lounge, anyone in the Lounge, or any complaints about the political threads from the Lounge. I know it's hard, but imagine if you will that BBTF is an iceberg, and the regular users in the comments on the "Mainland" and the Loungers put together make up the part of the iceberg that's above the waterline. The rest of the beast is below the surface.

The last few pages of this thread have been a circle-jerk of narcissism on everyone's part, where Loungers and Mainlanders talk about how the other guys are really the meanie poo poo heads. And don't get me wrong, it's been *awesome.* The most entertaining thread at this site since the old Primer days, really. But it literally hasn't had anything to do with Jim's redesign since, maybe, page 3.
   1016. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:04 PM (#4146996)
I didn't say it had anything to do with Jim's redesign.

I was commenting on the hilarity of it. Several people who have complained about tone and personal attacks in the politics threads have personally attacked people both here and in the lounge where the people they are attacking don't post.

1017. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:08 PM (#4146997)
There's only one way this will ever be settled sufficiently. Dodgeball.
   1018. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:12 PM (#4147001)
There's only one way this will ever be settled sufficiently. Dodgeball.

Make that nine ball or murder ball, but with all knives checked with Jim.
   1019. tshipman Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:14 PM (#4147003)
I was commenting on the hilarity of it. Several people who have complained about tone and personal attacks in the politics threads have personally attacked people both here and in the lounge where the people they are attacking don't post.

You forgot to include step 4 and 5:

4. Deny that any personal attacks/gossip ever occur in the Lounge.
5. Admit that they occur and then loudly justify them after the fact.
   1020. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:23 PM (#4147010)

Dodge a wrench, dodge a ball.
   1021. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4147013)
And clearly, I hold the knives.
   1022.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:49 PM (#4147018)
So essentially, what we have is:

1. A group of people complained that they don't like the tone/insults/personal attacks of the politics threads.

2. Some of that group have nevertheless insulted and engaged in personal attacks in this very thread.

3. Some of that group go into the lounge where they insult and personally attack people who don't post in the lounge.

You can't make it up.

Close.

1) A group of people complained that they want to continue ruining threads here and don't want to go to the lounge, which sucks

2) A few people in the lounge remarked that the lounge was getting slagged on the mainland.

3) A few paranoid nuts with delusions of grandeur went apeshit that people were "talking about them" on another section of the website that is freely available to be read by anyone.

4) McCoy lectured us all on rudeness.

5) Sam saved the thread.
   1023. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 03, 2012 at 06:58 PM (#4147021)
Sam can travel between the two worlds without effort. He's like a medium.
   1024. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:00 PM (#4147022)
All y'all are a bunch of ham and eggers.
   1025. Swedish Chef Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:09 PM (#4147028)
So the logorrheic brigade wants maximum visibility for their posts but can't handle other people talking about them somewhere else? Something doesn't compute.
   1026. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:15 PM (#4147032)
Can't handle?

Hell, it looks like the loungers can't even handle people talking to them.

As I said before, a whole bunch of people who claim we take things way too seriously seem to be taking this way too seriously.
   1027. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:25 PM (#4147036)
Beautiful. The weakshit attempts to both temporize their behavior while laying blame on the victims is simply classic.

5) Sam saved the thread.

I think there may be a Vietnam village analogy buried in that somewhere.

4. Deny that any personal attacks/gossip ever occur in the Lounge.
5. Admit that they occur and then loudly justify them after the fact.

And

6. All the while doubling down by chiding those attacked for not having the largeness of spirit to magnanimously forgive them as they are to forgive themselves.

Sweeet.

It just gets more hilariously rancid with every limp attempt to claim rights for themselves they'll not vouchsafe to others.

1028.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:26 PM (#4147038)
The "victims." Hysterical. Ahh Morty, never change my friend.
   1029. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:26 PM (#4147039)
Sam can travel between the two worlds without effort. He's like a medium.

Rainbow Bridge! RAINBOW BRIDGE!!

Wait. Do I get to tap Jennifer Love Hewitt?

MEDIUM! MEDIUM!!
   1030. rr Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:50 PM (#4147052)
Repoz's latest:

Heyman: Comedian Bill Maher now a part owner of New York Mets

Television host and political comedian Bill Maher is a new limited partner with the Mets, CBSSports.com has learned. Maher’s Mets involvement wasn’t known until now, but baseball is something he said he’s very serious about.
   1031. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 07:52 PM (#4147054)
People who question Repoz question the gods themselves. There is no 'poz but Repoz.
   1032. rr Posted: June 03, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4147065)
Post #2 in the Maher Thread:

As of today, the Mets are a better investment than the Obama SuperPAC.
   1033. PerroX Posted: June 03, 2012 at 08:54 PM (#4147094)
Yo' mama.
   1034. Paul D(uda) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4147111)
I just hope we can all get full spirit points in the dodgeball game.
   1035. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:39 PM (#4147119)
So the logorrheic brigade wants maximum visibility for their posts but can't handle other people talking about them somewhere else? Something doesn't compute.

Can't handle? I never complained about it. I just pointed out the hilarity of it.

----

I do love the semantic game being played by the loungers as to whether something was "behind someone's back." The fact is that people were being insulted and attacked in a forum in which they had little prayer of ever seeing it. It doesn't matter whether that qualifies as "behind someone's back." The point is that the people had little chance of seeing it.

And it may well have an impact. Ryan was going around in the lounge harshly calling Snapper an idiot. That has the potential of helping to create a cabal of people who don't really know what Snapper said but who (a) form the opinion that he's a blazing idiot and (b) thus interact with him on the mainland accordingly. And all the while Snapper had no clue that anything negative was even said about him, and therefore had no opportunity to defend himself.

That may not be "behind someone's back," but is a pretty lousy way to treat people, IMO. Certainly it's hilarious that some of the people engaging in this type of behavior had problems with the tone/insults/personal attacks of the political threads.
   1036. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:47 PM (#4147122)
SugareBear, I know the other kids have made fun of you. It wasn't very nice of them. They shouldn't do it. You can't control what other people think of you, though. You shouldn't take those bad things to heart. Instead, you have to appreciate yourself and know how special you are. Now, I can't make all those bad kids apologize to you. I just don't have the time. Instead, I suggest you show how much better you are than them by being the bigger person. So, take responsibility for whatever bad things you may have said or done yourself, apologize to anyone you may have hurt *and* if they don't treat you better don't play with them anymore.

The conclusion seems to be that attacking and personally insulting people in the lounge is fine, even though that violates the TOS.

Do lounge threads get closed? Do loungers get suspended for attacking/insulting others?
   1037. JC in DC Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:53 PM (#4147131)
Will you shut up? Have some people in the Lounge spoken badly in the Lounge about people on the mainland? Yes. Have those same people spoken badly about people in the Lounge? Yes. Would those same people speak badly here about people on the Mainland? Yes (and they may have in this thread). It's what they do. Have other people in the Lounge defended people here, or told those people to STFU? Yes. There's no single Lounge voice on this or anything else (except perhaps the greatness of Peter Gabriel). Grow up and move on.
   1038. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:54 PM (#4147132)

Dodge a wrench, dodge a ball.

Fair enough. You throw wrenches and murder balls, we'll throw these. Sounds good to me.
   1039. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:57 PM (#4147137)
Will you shut up? Have some people in the Lounge spoken badly in the Lounge about people on the mainland? Yes. Have those same people spoken badly about people in the Lounge? Yes. Would those same people speak badly here about people on the Mainland? Yes (and they may have in this thread). It's what they do. Have other people in the Lounge defended people here, or told those people to STFU? Yes. There's no single Lounge voice on this or anything else (except perhaps the greatness of Peter Gabriel). Grow up and move on.

Hey, JC, haven't you noticed by now that most of us mainlanders aren't taking this any more seriously than the Morlocks are?
   1040. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 09:59 PM (#4147140)
I too had not ever tried exploring the lounge before, or even had much of an awareness of what it was beyond having some vague sense that people were having discussions on another area of the site that I never visited (with the exception of whereever Jim and Dan were sending the political threads to to die - if that was indeed "the lounge" they were sending them to).

Though searching it just now does provide some eye openers. Like this post from Harvey from a couple years ago, which helps explain why I had no idea he held any antagonism towards me; I had never seen this comment of his before today:

Posted: 21 February 2010 10:20 PM [ Quote ] [ Report ] [ Ignore ] [ # 572 ]

Harveys Wallbangers

Between the posts of Ray DiPerna and Rich Rifkin the BBTF neighborhood is moving toward being described as a slum.

I feel for Jim as the two are not profane nor hostile. Just pernicious in the abject foolishness of their thoughts. It’s a tidal wive of nonsense that overwhelms the senses…......

1041. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:07 PM (#4147150)
Morlocks is funny
   1042. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:11 PM (#4147155)
Well, as long as Harvey's required to disclose the identity of his anonymous backers, I think we can live with his occasional bouts of Ross Perot mimicry. He once threatened to punch me out before I even had any idea who he was, and after that I half expected him to say that he was going to Klown Kollege no matter what. Hey, this is the internet.
   1043.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:13 PM (#4147156)
Ray, what on earth is your point?you have probably had coworkers that talk about you between themselves as well. Such is life. Stop being a crybaby.
   1044. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:17 PM (#4147162)
Harveys schtick is the curmudgeon. He has only ever insulted me in the Lounge - but I still consider him an internet friend.
   1045. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:21 PM (#4147164)
Well, I just wasted 15 minutes of my life scanning the lounge for comments about me. I barely scratched the surface -- it would take a lot longer to read them all, and I have no desire to do so. Suffice to say that these noble persons who are so, so bothered by the tone and insults of the political threads have spent years issuing personal attacks about me over there. The funny (scary?) part is that many of them are people I don't know and have never heard of. (Some of them, like Bernal, I have.)

And also Harveys has multiple posts about me, so clearly he's had some strange obsession with me that I'm just now becoming aware of. Again, it explains why I was in the dark about this earlier in this thread, not having previously seen what he was writing about me over there.

But luckily we have TOS for the site, for everyone to abide by lest they face the consequences!
   1046. PerroX Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:22 PM (#4147165)
Harvey's quite perceptive. Lighten up, Ray -- at least he's never offered to feed you to the hogs.
   1047. Good cripple hitter Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:26 PM (#4147170)
Though searching it just now does provide some eye openers. Like this post from Harvey from a couple years ago [...]

That was an eye opener, that such a Primey-worthy post has been ignored for so long. "Tidal wave of nonsense" is some fantastic imagery, and "pernicious in the abject foolishness of their thoughts" is borderline poetic when read in the voice of Orson Welles or the guy who did the voice of The Brain on Animaniacs. I feel like I've just discovered the park effects that make Jimmy Wynn out to be a marginal hall of famer. I should spend 15 minutes scanning the lounge to see what other good lines he's had, it'll be like scouting the new Negro Leagues database at baseball reference to see forgotten great seasons.
   1048. PerroX Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:30 PM (#4147172)
Harvey is a ####### treasure.
   1049. DA Baracus Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:30 PM (#4147174)
This would all be easier if Ray admitted he likes the attention.
   1050. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:33 PM (#4147175)
It's Taquitotown, Ray. It's Taquitotown.

I want a Taquito
   1051. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:34 PM (#4147176)
It would be a lot easier if everybody concerned admitted they liked the attention.
   1052. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:35 PM (#4147177)
Harvey is like the iceberg of hate. You only see about 5% of his hate on the mainsite and get the rest of it on the forums.
   1053. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:37 PM (#4147178)
Harveys schtick is the curmudgeon. He has only ever insulted me in the Lounge - but I still consider him an internet friend.

I don't know if we'd be blow buddies in real life, but he's sure one of the more original characters around here. I just hope he'll make a speedy recovery from his recent stroke.
   1054. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:40 PM (#4147179)
He better or someone will pay.
   1055. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:45 PM (#4147182)
Harvey's quite perceptive. Lighten up, Ray -- at least he's never offered to feed you to the hogs.

Well, look out for pig farmers ...

Brick Top: You're always gonna have problems lifting a body in one piece. Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together.
Sol: Would someone mind telling me, who are you?
Brick Top: And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig ####, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".
Vinny: Well, thank you for that. That's a great weight off me mind. Now, if you wouldn't mind telling me who the #### you are, apart from someone who feeds people to pigs of course?

1056. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:47 PM (#4147184)
Of course. But it's like I said early in these proceedings, the insight it gives you about people when they feel they are in a position to comment and judge with impunity is revealing and pretty thrilling. It's rare enough to amount have an aura about it. We are rarely aware that people have secret views about us--secret in that they keep it from the subject but share it with their in-group peers. That, combined with the reactions in wild justification when they are found out--well, it's priceless.

1057. Zipperholes Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:52 PM (#4147187)
Here's how you know whether you'd fit in in the Lounge. If someone says to you: “I just met you, and this is crazy” what words instantly come to your mind?
   1058. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:56 PM (#4147190)
Yeah, like I said, it's like the Springfield Retirement Castle over there, with Harveys as the nurse gatekeeper with the pump sawed-off shotgun.
   1059. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 03, 2012 at 10:59 PM (#4147191)
Here's how you know whether you'd fit in in the Lounge. If someone says to you: “I just met you, and this is crazy” what words instantly come to your mind?

Hinges, internal organs.
   1060. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:02 PM (#4147193)
1056 - Morty - this must be how players feel when they read game chatters.
   1061. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4147197)
Patsy Cline and Chef Danny Lee.
   1062.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4147209)
Morty, the fact that the posts are being read and even copy/pasted IN THIS THREAD proves that there IS NO and was no expectation of "immunity," "impunity" or "secrecy."

Why are you acting as if a 200,000 page document just got declassified? Jesus, ITS BEEN RIGHT THERE THE WHOLE TIME. Nobody has ever posted ANYTHING under the guise of thinking that their post is hidden away or never going to be read by so-and-so. Nobody has ever been under the impression that anything they say can't and won't be used against them. If anything, I would ASSUME that if I were to talk #### about someone (I don't think I had,) one of his buddies (if he has any,) will probably alert him to it and he'll read it. In fact, people are STILL saying things despite the fact that posters here have PROVEN that they are continuously vanity-searching the threads and even call-backing the posts here. THEY DON'T CARE. No justification is needed, becuase nothing was posted that needs justifying. If I say I don't like you, my "justification" for saying that is that I do not like you. That is all the "justification" that is needed. Jesus Christ on a stick with mustard and extra relish.

Honest to God, if you just discovered that a whole bunch of people don't like your style and you didn't know about it, maybe it says a lot more about you than it does them.
   1063. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4147211)
1056 - Morty - this must be how players feel when they read game chatters.

Chefs get it as well when they troll foodie boards and online reviews.
   1064. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4147225)
I bet. What's the Patsy Cline reference?
   1065. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:24 PM (#4147232)
Morty, the fact that the posts are being read and even copy/pasted IN THIS THREAD proves that there IS NO and was no expectation of "immunity," "impunity" or "secrecy."

So what is your defense of this? "We were being rude but it wasn't behind your back"? We need to go on for several hundred posts because you want to make really really sure that we don't think you guys, who don't take things seriously, weren't saying things behind people's back? And you think saying "IT'S THE INTRANETZ!!" to a bunch of longthreaders is going to somehow do this?

I have one thing to say to this. I have just met you, and this is crazy.
   1066. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:25 PM (#4147235)
I bet. What's the Patsy Cline reference?

Crazy the song. She was Chef Danny Lee's favorite singer and he used to sing that song in the kitchen. One time he asked me to hand him the "penis oil on the shvt pan".

Battle of Hastings baby!!
   1067.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4147248)
I was responding directly to Morty Causa's drug-induced fantasy post.
   1068. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4147269)
Shock,

Quit pressing so hard to defend yourself and yours, and try to understand the point. This is a learning moment for us all.

Morty - this must be how players feel when they read game chatters.

Yep, it's probably why they don't.

It's like getting a glimpse into another dimension, and as we know from pop culture, other dimensions are not all friendly. We all have memories of overhearing our parents discuss us when they think we're not around (the discussion doesn't have to be negative). It's like a sudden fissure in space and time. I don’t remember anyone here on the Mainland commenting on what someone said on the forum, yet on the forum they were. That’s just interesting, maybe even odd—that people on another venue comment about people on this venue, but not on this venue to those people. That’s a distinction gravid with portent. And that they had to know that it never occurred to us to go over there and check. After all, we never had. But they had been privileged creatures of both worlds. For a while--a good while they had power born of special circumstances. I bet some grad student could do a good study about this.
   1069.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:48 PM (#4147274)
I want some of whatever you're having, dude.
   1070. PerroX Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4147279)
It would be a lot easier if everybody concerned admitted they liked the attention.

A bad hummer is better than none at all.
   1071. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4147280)
You all are aware that Lounge discussion generally concerns such matters as whether "Mary," "marry," and "merry" are homonyms (Pro tip: they're not), what the boundaries of the Midwest are, and various nuggets of baseball trivia?

How do you boys pronounce "Mary," "marry," and "merry"?
   1072. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4147281)
This is... It's like... <googley eyes>
   1073. Morty Causa Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:53 PM (#4147283)
You're not being teachable, Shock.
   1074. McCoy Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:55 PM (#4147286)
This is that moment when we find out if Shock can fit into the mainland. You just Morty, and he is crazy. . .
   1075. PerroX Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4147289)
The Lounge is an R-rated movie that a coupla 10-year-olds snuck in to.

I still have fond memories of Angie Dickinson's body double.
   1076. PerroX Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4147290)
Skat! Shhhhhh!!!
   1077. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 03, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4147293)
People from the Midwest (i.e. Buffalo to Omaha) seem to have a hard time differentiating between "Mary," "marry," and "merry."
   1078. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:00 AM (#4147294)
Harvey is like the iceberg of hate. You only see about 5% of his hate on the mainsite and get the rest of it on the forums.

It's funny in light of the posts he was making from his high horse over the first two pages of this thread. Saying things like "jim needs to put these bleating sheep down." Saying that the "very hallmark" of political threads is to employ "smear tactics" "in an effort to undermine the credibility of the poster being targeted." Saying that Jim needed to rid the site "of these irksome pests" and commenting that "why others are defending this miscreant behavior puzzles me."

Harveys then said that "the primary distinction" of the political threads "is tone/tenor." "It's the noise. why do we as a group need to tolerate all this noise?"

Unbelievably, he asks "where i have called out an individual poster; name a post here. name any post by me on bbtf; i will wait patiently as you bring forward a post where i directed a personal attack at an individual poster; i know it will be a long wait because i have not nor will not."

Then he calls out Andy for being insulting: "see post 185. that is a direct, pointed comment that has the single purpose of being insulting."

"why do we have to settle?," Harveys asks. "why is the childish and the snide and the sneer accepted as the 'cost of doing business'?"
   1079. McCoy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:00 AM (#4147295)
I still have fond memories of Angie Dickinson's body double

Wait, that was a body double? I feel cheated.
   1080. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4147299)
It's like getting a glimpse into another dimension, and as we know from pop culture, other dimensions are not all friendly. We all have memories of overhearing our parents discuss us when they think we're not around (the discussion doesn't have to be negative). It's like a sudden fissure in space and time.

Dude.

First, you have some mommy-daddy issues.

Second, this is *not* like a fissure in space and time. Because. Dude. FISSURE IN SPACE AND TIME?!?!

Fantastic.
   1081. PerroX Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:06 AM (#4147300)
   1082. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4147301)
Well, what we've learned is that the cesspool of BBTF is not the political threads. The cesspool of BBTF is the lounge.
   1083. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4147303)
Well, what we've learned is that the cesspool of BBTF is not the political threads. The cesspool of BBTF is the lounge.

Don't worry. We have Bivens digging a French drain.
   1084. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:13 AM (#4147304)
It's funny in light of the posts he was making from his high horse over the first two pages of this thread. Saying things like "jim needs to put these bleating sheep down." Saying that the "very hallmark" of political threads is to employ "smear tactics" "in an effort to undermine the credibility of the poster being targeted." Saying that Jim needed to rid the site "of these irksome pests" and commenting that "why others are defending this miscreant behavior puzzles me."

Ray, two things.

First, the Forums (the Lounge specifically is just a single forum of many, including a set of "Politics" forums where the Longthreads go to die) were created specifically to put the bleating of sheep into a special sheep pen - the Forums. The Loungers went over there to bleat, and they think poorly of those of us who still bleat bellicose bile over here.

Second, the Lounge never tries to fool itself into believing that the Lounge is making any sort of point or advancing any sort of useful argument. The Lounge simply is. The Lounge abides. As such, occasional outbursts of insults are just another ray of sunshine on the Lounge's summer day. But the Longthreads? No, the Longthreaders believe they are advancing something useful, and making some useful point, and on their less lucid days perhaps even convincing others to change their minds about some deep rooted political concept or ideal. In that environment, with that goal in mind - the advancement of ideas and persuasion of others - the bile and belligerence are actually antithetical to the stated purpose of Longthreading itself.

NOTE OF SELF AWARENESS: Of course I'm one of the most belligerent of the Longthreaders, which some might argue would undermine my critique above. But those people would seem to foolishly believe that I'm doing any of this in an attempt to advance a dialog, rather than for my own cynical amusement. Those people don't understand me at all.

Because they're stupid and suck.
   1085. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:15 AM (#4147306)

Kinda. The Lounge is the drainage system. Sort of like the sewers, wherein dwell the Morlocks and Sewer Urchin. The political threads are more of a festering boil on the face really.
   1086. PerroX Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:18 AM (#4147307)
Sam, when gay marriage is legalized in the South...
   1087. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:20 AM (#4147308)
Sam, when gay marriage is legalized in the South...

We let you #### your cousins. What the hell else do you want from us?!
   1088. shoewizard Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:23 AM (#4147310)
The irony that is this thread is just too rich. I've laughed many times over in the hour I wasted reading all this. I'll come here no matter what Jim does to the site. And as much as I hate change, I'll get used to it. Like most...when I see a thread zoom past 200 posts I know who is in there saying what. Sometimes I hang around because I do learn something once in a while. And I've never posted in the lounge really except maybe once or twice. I don't think much of what I have to say is of much interest to anyone but myself, although sometimes I probably stumble on to something insightful.
   1089. Harold can be a fun sponge Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:24 AM (#4147311)

Thank you, JC. Most comments about mainland posters or threads in the lounge get responses like, "Don't bring that #### in here," or, "If I wanted to know that, I'd read the mainland." I have taken frustration over the mainland there on occasion, and that's usually the response I've gotten (so I stopped doing it). There is no single Lounge voice; there are a bunch of different people, with different levels of intelligence, tact, differing tastes and tolerances, etc. Most don't give two shits about the mainland or this discussion.

And those of us who do have ill will towards the long-threaders, it's because we miss what this site was in the early 2000s. I know we will never have it back, no matter how we change things. The comment threads used to be great. They're rarely worth the read now, let alone participating. That a handful of posters fill the punchbowl with turds, then get all bent out of shape that people who have left the punchbowl for the bar complain about it, is hilarious. The lack of self-awareness drives home that the site will never return to what it was, though hopefully the re-design will help things, by giving the rest of us our own Hot Topics.
   1090. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4147312)
From the TOS:

BBTF asks you to not use vulgarity, profanity or insults in your comments. You are free to disagree (even vehemently) with what other members of the BBTF community have to say, but we ask that you do so in a respectful manner.

Comments will not be deleted for disagreeing with other members. They may be removed for the above reasons or if the comment is hurtful, spiteful, libelous, slanderous and really does nothing to move the conversation forward.

BBTF trusts that you’ll respectfully follow our posting guidelines. Based on our past experience, we expect the community will exercise common sense regarding what’s appropriate and what’s not. We are confident most members of this community will have no trouble understanding what constitutes respectful, civil discourse. Unfortunately our experience has also proven some users have difficulty remaining civil and/or abiding by the TOS. To insure your responsible use of the site, BBTF reserves the right to immediately invoke any consequences, related to the use of this site(s), we deem appropriate at any time. This includes, but is not limited to having your posts removed, your posting rights revoked, and/or your account permanently suspended.

How many loungers would not survive this if their conduct were subject to a fair review?
   1091. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:26 AM (#4147313)
I don't think much of what I have to say is of much interest to anyone but myself, although sometimes I probably stumble on to something insightful.

You're outta you're element, Donny. The Double-Ls both run on the power of pure, unadulterated narcissism. You seem a bit well adjusted for either.
   1092. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:27 AM (#4147314)
How many loungers would not survive this if their conduct were subject to a fair review?

Ray Ray. Lawyering up here isn't going to work.
   1093. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:28 AM (#4147316)

I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.
   1094. McCoy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:29 AM (#4147317)
No, the Longthreaders believe they are advancing something useful, and making some useful point, and on their less lucid days perhaps even convincing others to change their minds about some deep rooted political concept or ideal. In that environment, with that goal in mind - the advancement of ideas and persuasion of others - the bile and belligerence are actually antithetical to the stated purpose of Longthreading itself.

Ah, humans. We have this ability to understand and excuse everything we do but are simply incapable of understanding and excusing others.

Longthreaders argue with each other for fun just like loungers snark at each other for fun.

PS. I'm really proud of this but it is a little late in the conversation and I can't wait for another Lounger to defend vigorously how they didn't talk behind anyone's back so I'm going to jump the gun.

Loungers are like Vogons. Quite clearly they posted a notice that they would be talking crap about other posters in the sub-basement of the sewage plant.
   1095. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:32 AM (#4147319)
Loungers are like Vogons.

Would you like for me to read you some of Buford's poetry?
   1096. McCoy Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:32 AM (#4147320)
The comment threads used to be great.

The comment threads used to suck. A bunch of people trying to come up with the snarkiest thing to say and failing miserably. Registration and creating a lounge solved a lot of problems.
   1097. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:32 AM (#4147321)
What is a Vogon? Is that anything to do with the Space Camels?
   1098.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4147323)

Ray, Jim is not your babysitter. You're a grown man for God's sake.
   1099. BWV 1129 Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:47 AM (#4147325)
There is a woman I'm acquainted with. She's a magnificent <insert all the bad words here>. She is loud, cruel, insensitive, braggadocios, insecure, unfunny, demanding, impossible, stubborn, and also has many bad qualities. I do not like spending time with her, but every now and then, it comes to pass that I do.

I do not tell her how I feel about her, as no possible good would come from it. That does not stop me from sharing my views with other people I know who also know her, so that I can explain to them that I don't want to hang out with her.
   1100. Poster Nutbag Posted: June 04, 2012 at 12:48 AM (#4147326)
Kinda wishing I....never saw this thread....with a lot of the elitist-type BS flying back and forth....the level of discourse amongst some of you.....yeesh......
Page 11 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robneyer
for his generous support.