Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Jim's Lab Notes > Discussion
Jim's Lab Notes
— Site News, Baseball Talk, and a Bunch of Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off-Topics, Politics, and the Redesign

FYI, in the redesign I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a new politics off-topic blog that I am setting up for the purpose. By default, members will not see these discussions in their Hot Topics until they opt-in to see them. In the interim I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a dedicated monthly thread (similar to the football, basketball, and soccer threads), which will be tagged as “politics”, marked as “OT:Politics” in the title, and which will include a disclaimer about the nature and tone of the discussion. I will also begin closing the off-topic political discussions in other threads.

In the redesign I also will be moving the sports-related off-topic threads to their own dedicated area. Like the off-topic political threads these threads will only appear in Hot Topics when members opt-in to see them. When this change takes place members will be able to submit news links to basketball, football, soccer, and golf (whichever sports that generate interest) articles, which will appear in their appropriate off-topic micro.

So, in the redesign people who wish to discuss these topics will be able to do so easily while people who wish to ignore such topics will be able to do so easily as well.

Donate to BaseballThinkFactory.org using PayPal.com

Jim Furtado Posted: May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | 1369 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 5 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›
   401. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:27 PM (#4145128)
And of course the real problem is that some people seem to be offended by just about anything or anyone who dares to question their worldview.

Horseshit. As has been noted, the real problem is threads getting dominated by the same tedious people arguing the same tedious issues in the same tedious way. This point has been made more than once.

Priceless.

EDIT: Cokes.
   402. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:32 PM (#4145132)
And of course the real problem is that some people seem to be offended by just about anything or anyone who dares to question their worldview.

Horseshit. As has been noted, the real problem is threads getting dominated by the same tedious people arguing the same tedious issues in the same tedious way.

Yes, and what makes us go from being merely tedious to downright offensive is that we're holding your mistress hostage in order to force you to read us, in defiance of your demand that we take your wife instead.
   403. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:36 PM (#4145137)
But he really wants to read what Luke Scott thinks about immigration and your messing that up!
   404. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:40 PM (#4145139)
Now that we've reached 400 posts, maybe the people who dislike the politics threads will think this thread has gone political and stop commenting...
   405. squatto Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:41 PM (#4145141)
Yes, and what makes us go from being merely tedious to downright offensive is that we're holding your mistress hostage in order to force you to read us, in defiance of your demand that we take your wife instead.

Actually, that's not it at all. I repeated a point made before because of your misrepresentation of it. I see the irony of the repetition, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I should have known better; this is precisely the sort of thing that keeps me out of these threads.
   406. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:42 PM (#4145142)
Can we have a Maude Flanders award for the poster who has flagged the greatest number of other people's posts as offensive?
   407. zonk Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4145144)
I second this comment. The last thing we need is to have BTF turn into some sort of a popularity contest. It's like one of those internet polls that ask "Who was the greatest shortstop of all time? 1. Cal Ripken 2. Derek Jeter 3. Ozzie Smith 4. Alex Rodriguez. Standard text rates apply."

Now, wait a minute --

I'd prefer to see how popular I am before deciding whether it's the first or last thing we need.
   408. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:43 PM (#4145145)
Or maybe some kind of offender/offended metric, like Power-Speed Number?
   409. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:45 PM (#4145146)
Do they give a Nobel for attempted offensiveness?
   410. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:50 PM (#4145148)

Actually, that's not it at all. I repeated a point made before because of your misrepresentation of it. I see the irony of the repetition, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. I should have known better; this is precisely the sort of thing that keeps me out of these threads.

Being as how your previous comment on the subject....

221. squatto Posted: May 31, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4144362)
Some conversations attract. Some conversations repel. Some inspire indifference. I can't speak for Jim, but I think that the nth iteration of the same old argument made by the same old people fails to encourage others to participate, and may repel them. So those arguments can continue, but in a location that people have to go by making an affirmative choice.

...was made nearly 22 hours and two pages ago, you'll have to forgive my memory lapse. And of course I wasn't directing my comment to you, but to those like Joey who feign to be offended by the presence of political discussions on a baseball site.
   411. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:51 PM (#4145149)
Horseshit. As has been noted, the real problem is threads getting dominated by the same tedious people arguing the same tedious issues in the same tedious way. This point has been made more than once.

To the sounds of one hand jerking.
   412. BDC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:51 PM (#4145150)
I'm messing around tagging comments on the beta site, and it appears that a comment can't be both Insightful and Funny.
   413. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4145152)

Right ... you said something, got called on it, got the heat, and can't take the heat. That probably describes the vast majority of the "offense" described herein.

To keep this appropriately baseball-related, I'll note how fortuitous it is that they don't shut down the major leagues when guys like Ken Phelps, Roberto Petagiene, and Bryan LaHair struggle -- or let them say, "Hey, that 3-1 curve on the black offended me."
   414. Lassus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 12:59 PM (#4145154)
I'm messing around tagging comments on the beta site, and it appears that a comment can't be both Insightful and Funny.

I am offended I will not be getting the full credit I deserve.
   415. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:13 PM (#4145173)
I am also offended that Lassus will not be getting the full credit he deserves.

ETA: Also, this is post 415, yes? But Hot Topics shows the thread as having 416 posts...and yet my bookmarks shows this thread as having 417.

Maybe Bob Dernier Cri messed things up by trying to mark something funny and insightful.
   416. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:14 PM (#4145175)
To keep this appropriately baseball-related, I'll note how fortuitous it is that they don't shut down the major leagues when guys like Ken Phelps, Roberto Petagiene, and Bryan LaHair struggle -- or let them say, "Hey, that 3-1 curve on the black offended me."

The thought of Ken Phelps trying to hit a 3-1 curve on the black doesn't offend me as a Yankee fan, it offends me for trying to horn in on my territory as a comedian.
   417. squatto Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:14 PM (#4145176)
Right ... you said something, got called on it, got the heat, and can't take the heat. That probably describes the vast majority of the "offense" described herein.

No, that's not it. Nice try, however.
   418. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:16 PM (#4145178)
I am offended that people are offended.
   419. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:18 PM (#4145181)
Frankly I'm outraged at the outrage, as Senator Inhofe likes to say.
   420. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:19 PM (#4145183)
ETA: Also, this is post 415, yes? But Hot Topics shows the thread as having 416 posts...and yet my bookmarks shows this thread as having 417.

I have that same problem. Now we have to worry about secret, stealth comment deletion? God Jim, when will the madness end?!
   421. Kurt Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:29 PM (#4145194)
I would say Sugarbear in 413 has it exactly right. After lamenting that the big problem with this site is that other people fail to try to understand others' perspectives, squatto came back specifically to attack other posters, dug in his heels when others responded and then insisted that everyone else is the problem.

It boggles my mind that this thread was opened to discuss coming changes, a group of people commented that there are certain aspects of the site that they appreciate and value and hope that the essence of those things won't be diminished, and then some other people came in to simultaneously attack Group 1 and accuse them of being a bunch of negative, namecalling jerks.
   422. Lassus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:30 PM (#4145195)
I dont remember the post counts ever being particularly accurate.
   423. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:35 PM (#4145201)
Ray, are you like this in real life? Do you get punched in the junk a lot?
   424. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:35 PM (#4145202)
The offenders who have offended the offended have been offended.
   425. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:37 PM (#4145204)
And there goes the hand grenade.
   426. Fly should without a doubt be number !!!!! Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:41 PM (#4145209)
FYI, one of the features of the redesign is the ability to mark comments as "insightful" or "funny". With this info I plan on creating Funniest Member and Most Insightful Member boxes to spotlight the people others find insightful and funny . Safeguards will be in place to dissuade people from creating clicks to rig the system. I will also be adding a flag system for members to mark offensive posts (although this info will only be available to moderators).

Oh, this, this is a bad idea.

A terrible idea.

Don't do this.
   427. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:42 PM (#4145211)
I am only asking questions here.
   428. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:42 PM (#4145213)
Note to self: next time in NY, punch Ray in junk.
   429. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:45 PM (#4145219)
I second this comment. The last thing we need is to have BTF turn into some sort of a popularity contest. It's like one of those internet polls that ask "Who was the greatest shortstop of all time? 1. Cal Ripken 2. Derek Jeter 3. Ozzie Smith 4. Alex Rodriguez. Standard text rates apply."
Why would there be text rates on an Internet poll?
   430. Jim Furtado Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:48 PM (#4145227)
I closed the double post. It updates the post count within the thread but doesn't update the total. It's a quirk in EE's code that I haven't gotten around to fixing.

FYI, the totals for comment clicked as insightful and funny will be included on the list pages and entry pages. For some of you, this will help you find the funniest threads. For others, it will be a way to avoid that confusing concept called humor.
   431. Fly should without a doubt be number !!!!! Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:50 PM (#4145229)
FYI, the totals for comment clicked as insightful and funny will be included on the list pages and entry pages. For some of you, this will help you find the funniest threads. For others, it will be a way to avoid that confusing concept called humor.

That's not what it'll do at all. It'll just make people TRY to be funny.

And, no offense, but that's not something the people on this website are good at.
   432. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:51 PM (#4145233)
Not like anyone gives a ####, but I think this redesign, as described, is the worst thing ever. The problem is a handful (5-10) people acting antisocially, and the solution is to balkanize and eviscerate the free-wheeling culture that makes this 1000 times more interesting than any other site on the internet?

It seems like all the redesign does is make the site more like every other internet discussion board. This is a bad thing. Upvotes and downvotes? Popular posters? Great, we've turned into SBNation. If I wanted team-specific echo chambers with clean, uncontroversial circle-jerk comment sections, I could go to a half-dozen other sites - and going forward, I probably will.

I can understand why Jim might want to take a shot at stealing eyeballs from mainstream sites, because most of those sites are terrible, but I don't get why BBTF has to be decultured in the process.
   433. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:53 PM (#4145239)

Why would there be text rates on an Internet poll?

Sorry, I meant to say one of those YES network in-game polls. My bad.
   434. Jim Furtado Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:58 PM (#4145248)
FYI, one of the features of the redesign is the ability to mark comments as "insightful" or "funny". With this info I plan on creating Funniest Member and Most Insightful Member boxes to spotlight the people others find insightful and funny . Safeguards will be in place to dissuade people from creating clicks to rig the system. I will also be adding a flag system for members to mark offensive posts (although this info will only be available to moderators).

Oh, this, this is a bad idea.

A terrible idea.

Don't do this.
With this addition, it won't just be my own experience that I will be using when I investigate complaints. (A task that I loath almost as much as trying to find and remove spammers from the site.) Don't worry, if a person only gets complaints from a few people, I will, as I do now, suggest they put the person on his ignore list. If, on the other hand, I find a massive listing of flags from a diverse population of the site (like I certainly would have had for Kevin if this had been in place before), it will be a different matter.
   435. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 01:59 PM (#4145249)
When it comes right down to it, a number of the people who have complained here about the nastiness of the politics threads have been nasty themselves in doing the complaining.
   436. Jim Furtado Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:00 PM (#4145253)
FYI, this thread is not being hijacked into a political thread. I'm closing the comments about McGovern/Nixon.

Really?
   437. Fly should without a doubt be number !!!!! Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:01 PM (#4145254)
Don't worry, if a person only gets complaints from a few people, I will, as I do now, suggest they put the person on his ignore list. If, on the other hand, I find a massive listing of flags from a diverse population of the site (like I certainly would have had for Kevin if this had been in place before), it will be a different matter.

I'm not worried about the flagging. That seems like a good idea, frankly.

It's the "funny" rankings. That's a bad idea.
   438. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:01 PM (#4145257)
And, no offense, but that's not something the people on this website are good at.
That's what she said!
   439. Lassus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:03 PM (#4145259)
This is a bad thing. Upvotes and downvotes? Popular posters? Great, we've turned into SBNation.

I hate to say it, but my reaction to this is rather similar.
   440. Jim Furtado Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:08 PM (#4145263)
I'm not worried about the flagging. That seems like a good idea, frankly.

It's the "funny" rankings. That's a bad idea.

Baseball is a game. A fun game. This place needs more humor. In the earlier days, there was more of a mix between funny and serious conversations. There is enough space here for both.
   441. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:08 PM (#4145264)
I don't care about nastiness in threads at all. Again, there has been a Politics section in the forums all along. The only reason you people can give for not posting there is the format. That is a bunch of crap and a lame excuse. If I was a moderator any sort of off topic discussion would have been directed to the appropriate forum ASAP and repeat offenders would have been given extended timeouts. The lounge is in the forums and we pretty much discuss whatever we like whenever we like. We all got used to the format and in some ways it is superior to this one. Whining about the format is pathetic.
   442. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:09 PM (#4145266)
Jim, you really should make me a moderator. Fo reals.
   443. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:10 PM (#4145269)
With this addition, it won't just be my own experience that I will be using when I investigate complaints. (A task that I loath almost as much as trying to find and remove spammers from the site.) Don't worry, if a person only gets complaints from a few people, I will, as I do now, suggest they put the person on his ignore list. If, on the other hand, I find a massive listing of flags from a diverse population of the site (like I certainly would have had for Kevin if this had been in place before), it will be a different matter.

The only problem with that is that while most of us are not going to be complaining that people we don't particularly like are "offensive"---I'm certainly not planning to complain---the people who take "offense" at people like Kevin and Retardo don't have any such qualms about pulling the "I'm offended" card. At the very least, I'd hope you'd consider the overall contributions (or lack of them) of the people making these "I'm offended" complaints and take them with the appropriate number of grains of salt. Giving a serial troll like Joey B even the tiniest amount of power over how another Primate is ranked is not going to be a positive contribution. If you have to go through with this dubious idea, at the very least the people making the complaints should be publicly identified. Letting them hide behind an anonymous rock only compounds the problem.
   444. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:15 PM (#4145271)
The silliness of letting the turd call the punch bowl "offensive" speaks for itself.
   445. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4145272)
When it comes right down to it, a number of the people who have complained here about the nastiness of the politics threads have been nasty themselves in doing the complaining.
Jim Furtado has complained about the nastiness of the politics threads. It is the nastiness, and not the threads, he has complained about.

Of all the people complaining about the nastiness, he's the only one you should be concerned with.

(He also pointed out earlier that some people just want to play the martyr than to be constructive. Can you imagine?)
   446. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4145273)
The silliness of letting the turd call the punch bowl "offensive" speaks for itself.

It amuses me that they just don't get it.
   447. Fly should without a doubt be number !!!!! Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:16 PM (#4145274)
Baseball is a game. A fun game. This place needs more humor. In the earlier days, there was more of a mix between funny and serious conversations. There is enough space here for both.

Of course there is. I'm just unclear on why you think telling people they're not funny is going to increase the amount of mirth, rather than making for jealous people peppering the site with unfunny one-liners in a desperate attempt to get recognition.
   448. Chicago Joe Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:17 PM (#4145276)
With this info I plan on creating Funniest Member

Mine's kind of twisty, though its never been laughed at. Do I qualify?

Retire the Primey for 352.
   449. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:18 PM (#4145277)
Jim, you really should make me a moderator. Fo reals.

I would mark this post as "funny" but not "insightful."
   450. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:23 PM (#4145285)
So, it will all be business as usual but with prizes and except for... stand in front of this, open that, pull down this, bend over, spread apart that, turn your head that way, cough....
   451. DA Baracus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:25 PM (#4145290)
It updates the post count within the thread but doesn't update the total. It's a quirk in EE's code that I haven't gotten around to fixing.

It's been that way for years, and the beta seems to be even worse. On some threads the hot topics lists things from two months ago.
   452. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:30 PM (#4145303)
I played around with the beta version for a bit and while I'm no master beta person I didn't find it all that enjoyable. Would somebody give me a hand with it?
   453. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:31 PM (#4145305)
Jim Furtado has complained about the nastiness of the politics threads. It is the nastiness, and not the threads, he has complained about.

Geez, really?

Jim Dolan told me Isiah Thomas was a great basketball mind, too, and he was wrong.

The main participants in the threads don't think they're nasty, and the people complaining either don't have the juice to hang or can easily ignore the threads. If they like the baseball article/topic that prompted the thread that got "hijacked," they can go into the thread, click TFA, read down to where the baseball comments end, and move on. There's no "problem" that can't be avoided with a third of a second of effort.

But, no, like the biddies of the American Temperance Union and other uber-bores, they can't just leave other people alone to have fun; instead, they have to whine and #####.
   454. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4145306)
I don't care about nastiness in threads at all. Again, there has been a Politics section in the forums all along. The only reason you people can give for not posting there is the format. That is a bunch of crap and a lame excuse. If I was a moderator any sort of off topic discussion would have been directed to the appropriate forum ASAP and repeat offenders would have been given extended timeouts. The lounge is in the forums and we pretty much discuss whatever we like whenever we like. We all got used to the format and in some ways it is superior to this one. Whining about the format is pathetic.

The lounge has been downvoted loud and clear, as the stale last post dates plainly attest. Nobody goes there anymore, and not because it's too crowded.
   455. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:32 PM (#4145308)
"The juice to hang"?

Yeah, that's it.
   456. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:33 PM (#4145309)
You are really cool. You should tell everyone how cool you are.
   457. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:34 PM (#4145310)
I don't care about nastiness in threads at all.
You seem to care that there's not enough, as you're one of the few people who actually is.
   458. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:35 PM (#4145313)
You are really cool. You should tell everyone how cool you are.

Is there an icon for that?
   459. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:36 PM (#4145317)
   460. BDC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:40 PM (#4145321)
If I was a moderator any sort of off topic discussion would have been directed to the appropriate forum ASAP and repeat offenders would have been given extended timeouts

You may gain power some day, but whatever the topic, airplane seats or Ozzie Guillen's underwear, I will never stop spreading the good word about grilled portobello mushrooms.
   461. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:41 PM (#4145323)
Bernal is one of the ones who shows up to throw bombs and then leaves.

For him, the 400-post mark is a signal... to start carpet bombing.
   462. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4145328)

I am a koala. And get the joke right.
   463. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4145330)
He had to destroy the village to save it.
   464. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:44 PM (#4145331)
portobellos are so 90's. Try grilling porcinis.
   465. Gaelan Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:45 PM (#4145332)

People come here for the comments. If you were in charge there would be no comments, and the site would die.

I get that Jim is trying to find a way of satisfying everyone. Hopefully it will work. However, it should be repeated that this place is unique and that these reforms threaten the lifeblood of the site in response to a problem that aspires to the imaginary.
   466. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:46 PM (#4145334)
There would be plenty of comment. In the appropriate place. The lounge is over 1000 posts every day and more often than not close to 1500 posts. Jim is fixing a problem to which there has been a solution for over 6 years.
   467. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:49 PM (#4145336)
Like right now we are discussing apples. And Jim doesn't care. Why? Because the lounge is the correct place on this site to discuss apples.
   468. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4145337)
Jim also doesn't care if you talk about apples on the main site.
   469. villageidiom Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:52 PM (#4145339)
Geez, really?

Jim Dolan told me Isiah Thomas was a great basketball mind, too, and he was wrong.
It's his site; in terms of site administration he is correct by definition. If you think a site like this is administered incorrectly, I wish you luck in starting up a competitor site that is run the way you want.

Just as if people don't like threads they can ignore them, if you don't like the site you can ignore it. Sounds like dzop will join you. Enjoy!
   470. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:53 PM (#4145340)
Like right now we are discussing apples. And Jim doesn't care. Why? Because the lounge is the correct place on this site to discuss apples.

And menstrual blood.
   471. Jim Furtado Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:55 PM (#4145342)
Mine's kind of twisty, though its never been laughed at. Do I qualify?
Now that's funny.
   472. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:55 PM (#4145343)
I played around with the beta version for a bit and while I'm no master beta person I didn't find it all that enjoyable. Would somebody give me a hand with it?

God help me, I LOL'd.

I'm not convinced the funny/insightful thing will work out, but I'm willing to give it a go before declaring it awful. Also, the idea that adding a "funny" flag would encourage people here to try to be funny is, in itself, hilarious. Not a thread goes by that isn't at least 40% wisecracks in the early stages, and while that number goes down if a thread sticks around, it never gets anywhere near zero.

Hard to imagine MORE of that happening.
   473. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 02:59 PM (#4145345)
Hard to imagine MORE of that happening.

God, that's almost like a challenge.
   474. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:00 PM (#4145346)

For him, the 400-post mark is a signal... to start carpet bombing.

You are misunderstanding, it is my way of fostering a community. I am offended.
   475. Misirlou was a Buddhist prodigy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:03 PM (#4145347)
I will never stop spreading the good word about grilled portobello mushrooms.

Are you literally Chris Trager?
   476. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:06 PM (#4145351)
You are misunderstanding, it is my way of fostering a community. I am offended.

Taking in 20 kids and locking them in the basement to starve while you cash their support checks is not what we mean by "fostering."
   477. BDC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:07 PM (#4145352)
The trick with apples is to find local orchards that grow cultivars adapted to the climate and terroir. There hasn't been an edible apple sold in an American supermarket since I was a child. In fact, most foods declined immediately and irreversibly after I reached sexual maturity. But I digress. If you can find locally-grown special varieties of apples – if you're near Austin, Texas, look for Hill Country Mutsus – they are delicious sliced, splashed with balsamic vinegar, and eaten with grilled portobello mushrooms.
   478. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:09 PM (#4145354)
In fact, most foods declined immediately and irreversibly after I reached sexual maturity.

Are you trying to tell us something about your past?
   479. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:16 PM (#4145362)
In fact, most foods declined immediately and irreversibly after I reached sexual maturity.
Cause and effect?
   480. Guapo Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:24 PM (#4145367)
Serious question for the Loungers: Do you guys ever get into fights?
   481. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4145370)
If a thread has off topic music and politics discussion going and gets labeled as such does a person who isn't opted in for politics but is opted in for music see the thread on their hot topic or does one filter flag the whole thread?
   482. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:27 PM (#4145371)

Only over the menstrual cycle of apples.
   483. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:28 PM (#4145373)

It's customary for at least one Lounger to go completely batshit insane over something, at least once a week.
   484. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:33 PM (#4145375)
Serious question for the Loungers: Do you guys ever get into fights?"
Everybody disagrees about everything, pretty much all the time. (I may be exaggerating.) There are arguments and debates. Actual namecalling or personal insults (with the exception of jokes) are very rare.
   485. RJ in TO Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:33 PM (#4145376)
It's customary for at least one Lounger to go completely batshit insane over something, at least once a week.

One specific Lounger.
   486. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:35 PM (#4145378)
If a thread has off topic music and politics discussion going and gets labeled as such does a person who isn't opted in for politics but is opted in for music see the thread on their hot topic or does one filter flag the whole thread?

If I'm following it right you will get access to anything you are "in" for. So in your example the "in" for music overrides the "out" for politics.
   487. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:37 PM (#4145379)
Everybody disagrees about everything, pretty much all the time. (I may be exaggerating.) There are arguments and debates. Actual namecalling or personal insults (with the exception of jokes) are very rare.

Invitations to fellate those who disagree with you, not so rare.
   488. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:38 PM (#4145380)
God, that's almost like a challenge.

Yeah, I thought about that right after I posted, but such is life.

I've poked my head into the Lounge a couple of times, but between the huge size of the posts and the sheer volume, I found it impossible to keep up with. If I saw something I wanted to respond to, by the time I responded it seemed like the thread had added another two pages and the topic had drifted wildly.

It's possible my memory is exaggerating the situation. Wouldn't be the first time.
   489. BDC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:47 PM (#4145391)
I almost never leave the Mainland (well, I just left to look up some of my favorite passages in Proust, but I mean, in an intra-BBTF sense). But if I have an intractable question, like what was the last instrumental single to reach #1 on the charts, or should I cancel my collision coverage, I do go over to the Lounge and have always gotten very helpful and energetic answers. Actually I decided to keep my collision coverage when somebody in the Lounge told me that I couldn't be trusted to do anything responsible with the money I saved. It never hurts to be reminded, politely, that you're an idiot.

But I can't hang out over there. It's not so much the format as that I work in a building with 100 English teachers, so if I want to have a totally random conversation I can easily just stick my head out my office door. On the Mainland there's a starting point for discussion, however tangential it becomes.
   490. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:50 PM (#4145392)
But I can't hang out over there. It's not so much the format as that I work in a building with 100 English teachers, so if I want to have a totally random conversation I can easily just stick my head out my office door. On the Mainland there's a starting point for discussion, however tangential it becomes.

This is probably the biggest trick to decoding the Lounge for newbies. #### is totally random, and you make your bones by trampolining your own random bullshit off of the last guy's reference. And mocking Perros.
   491. Chicago Joe Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:54 PM (#4145396)
This is probably the biggest trick to decoding the Lounge for newbies. #### is totally random, and you make your bones by trampolining your own random ######## off of the last guy's reference. And mocking Perros.

Since they already have their own insular community, why do they want to trample a more vibrant and freewheeling conversation? Maybe I'm answering my own question here...
   492. Swedish Chef Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:54 PM (#4145397)
If I'm following it right you will get access to anything you are "in" for. So in your example the "in" for music overrides the "out" for politics.

It's a pity there wont be flexibility to do boolean algebra, so you can specify:

(music AND (NOT politics)) OR (music AND condiments)

To see all music threads except the ones involving politics, unless there are condiments which will override the politics ban. I could see myself spending an evening fine-tuning a rule set for threads to show.
   493. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:56 PM (#4145399)
Insular is right; go over there and you feel like you walked into the middle of a dinner party -- at the house of some random person you don't even know. (And by "dinner party," I mean "drunken frat house party.")
   494. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 03:59 PM (#4145404)
Since they already have their own insular community, why do they want to trample a more vibrant and freewheeling conversation? Maybe I'm answering my own question here...

Well, how to say this? A significant plurality of the Lounge's collective identity is derived from hating you people.
   495. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:10 PM (#4145409)
The insularity of the Lounge is being greatly overstated here. It is like walking into a party full of strangers... but if you open your mouth and start talking to one of them, you find that they're friendly and welcoming and actually like having new people around.
   496. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:11 PM (#4145411)
I've poked my head into the Lounge a couple of times, but between the huge size of the posts and the sheer volume, I found it impossible to keep up with. If I saw something I wanted to respond to, by the time I responded it seemed like the thread had added another two pages and the topic had drifted wildly.

We revitalize conversations all the time. I specialize in this.
   497. Paul D(uda) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:12 PM (#4145412)
Insular is right; go over there and you feel like you walked into the middle of a dinner party -- at the house of some random person you don't even know. (And by "dinner party," I mean "drunken frat house party.")

I don't believe that the drunken frat house comment is fair.
   498. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:12 PM (#4145413)
We are very welcoming. I understand that all the in-jokes and familiarity we have with each other might seem forbidding, but new guys jump in all the time. It's not exclusionary.
   499. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:13 PM (#4145414)
The insularity of the Lounge is being greatly overstated here. It is like walking into a party full of strangers... but if you open your mouth and start talking to one of them, you find that they're friendly and welcoming and actually like having new people around.

I have no doubt that this is true but as one of the outsiders coming in it is VERY difficult to find a starting point.
   500. Bourbon Samurai Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:15 PM (#4145416)

Yes, but all of you weirdos stay away (kidding)

I enjoy the baseball discussion, but I like the off-topic threads about WWI or restaurants a lot more. Politics is really the only OT subject that gets nasty and objectionable...well that and Joe Posnanski.
Page 5 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Rough Carrigan
for his generous support.