Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Jim's Lab Notes > Discussion
Jim's Lab Notes
— Site News, Baseball Talk, and a Bunch of Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off-Topics, Politics, and the Redesign

FYI, in the redesign I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a new politics off-topic blog that I am setting up for the purpose. By default, members will not see these discussions in their Hot Topics until they opt-in to see them. In the interim I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a dedicated monthly thread (similar to the football, basketball, and soccer threads), which will be tagged as “politics”, marked as “OT:Politics” in the title, and which will include a disclaimer about the nature and tone of the discussion. I will also begin closing the off-topic political discussions in other threads.

In the redesign I also will be moving the sports-related off-topic threads to their own dedicated area. Like the off-topic political threads these threads will only appear in Hot Topics when members opt-in to see them. When this change takes place members will be able to submit news links to basketball, football, soccer, and golf (whichever sports that generate interest) articles, which will appear in their appropriate off-topic micro.

So, in the redesign people who wish to discuss these topics will be able to do so easily while people who wish to ignore such topics will be able to do so easily as well.

Donate to BaseballThinkFactory.org using PayPal.com

Jim Furtado Posted: May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | 1369 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 6 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›
   501. JC in DC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4145417)
Well, how to say this? A significant plurality of the Lounge's collective identity is derived from hating you people.

This is not the case at all. It's not even true that a plurality of people over there want to "trample" this vibrant freewheeling conversation. I think all that has happened in the Lounge and "politics" cases is that people have congregated towards those they have much in common with. DMN, Andy, and Ray (and a few others) have been here a long time and must enjoy engaging each other, despite their differences. The same is true for people in the Lounge. In the Lounge, there will often be two or three simultaneous conversations. There's no "single conversation." There's no insularity, DMN is wrong about that. If I go to Japan, I haven't walked into an "insular" conversation if I can't understand what people are saying. It would be presumptuous of me to say so. Instead, I've walked into a place with memory and language I'm not (yet) accustomed to. Stay long enough and I'll learn it. The same is true for the conversation in the Lounge. You couldn't possibly think it's different for your conversations about politics, could you?
   502. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4145418)
I have no doubt that this is true but as one of the outsiders coming in it is VERY difficult to find a starting point.

If you see a post you want to respond to, respond to it.

One good source of new Lounginistas is divorce.
   503. The Original SJ Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:16 PM (#4145419)
I have no doubt that this is true but as one of the outsiders coming in it is VERY difficult to find a starting point.

Well, start here.

Lets say you want to put an addition on your home. You have three finalists for the contractor position.

a) 2 positive references, lowest price and recommended by a friend.
b) 10 positive references, well known and well regarded in the area, but by far the highest price.
c) 1 positive reference, seems like maybe a fake reference, but it turns out it is Art Garfunkel, and he wants to be your contractor

Would you choose Garfunkel? How close to the lowest price would Garfunkel have to be to pick him?
   504. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:19 PM (#4145421)
I don't believe that the drunken frat house comment is fair.

I'll second this.
   505. RJ in TO Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:21 PM (#4145423)

Unless Foghorn is around.
   506. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:23 PM (#4145424)
I enjoy the baseball discussion, but I like the off-topic threads about WWI or restaurants a lot more. Politics is really the only OT subject that gets nasty and objectionable...well that and Joe Posnanski.

And that Posnanski nastiness was pretty well confined to Gaelan flying off the handle and most everyone else trying (unsuccessfully) to calm him down. Plenty of others were slamming Poz for what he wrote (and didn't write) about Paterno, but I don't recall anyone else doing it in such a deranged manner.
   507. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:24 PM (#4145426)
Unless Foghorn is around.

You disservice the sheer physical force that is Chris' liver by comparing him to mere frat boys.
   508. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:25 PM (#4145427)
You want to know the gods' honest truth? This thread is progressing in a manner not unlike the Lounge conversations.
   509. RJ in TO Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:26 PM (#4145428)
You disservice the sheer physical force that is Chris' liver by comparing him to mere frat boys.

I did no such thing. I compared him to an entire frat house.
   510. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:28 PM (#4145429)
I did no such thing. I compared him to an entire frat house.

Acknowledged and stipulated.
   511. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:29 PM (#4145430)
Lets say you want to put an addition on your home. You have three finalists for the contractor position.

a) 2 positive references, lowest price and recommended by a friend.
b) 10 positive references, well known and well regarded in the area, but by far the highest price.
c) 1 positive reference, seems like maybe a fake reference, but it turns out it is Art Garfunkel, and he wants to be your contractor

Would you choose Garfunkel? How close to the lowest price would Garfunkel have to be to pick him?

I'd still want to have him bite a pencil and then have a reliable dentist like Tim Whatley sign a COA before I'd believe it was Garfunkel.

And then I'd be sure not to hire him, because his voice drives me up a wall. So precious, so precious.
   512. BDC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:32 PM (#4145433)
If I go to Japan, I haven't walked into an "insular" conversation

Well, literally, of course, you have :)

Figuratively, not at all, and as I said, people have always been super-happy to talk with me in the Lounge, even though my avatar says Rookie or Virgin or Fresh Meat or whatever.

I just like a specific hook for a conversation. Though I did miss most of a 300-post thread on the cost of higher education because I assumed it was about Curt F. Schilling. Sometimes I lose out on a good conversation here because I assume it must be about what it says it's about. To the extent that the new tags will better direct us to content, I'm all for it.
   513. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:33 PM (#4145434)

And soon you will be able to flag that comment as offensive.
   514. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:33 PM (#4145435)
And then I'd be sure not to hire him, because his voice drives me up a wall. So precious, so precious.

Let me play you some Belle & Sebastian.
   515. Paul D(uda) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:37 PM (#4145438)
And soon you will be able to flag that comment as offensive.

Well, I also don't think that it was offensive.
   516. The Original SJ Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:40 PM (#4145440)
would you rather have the ability to add cheese, any kind of cheese, to whichever sandwich was in front of you, using only your mind?

OR

Would you rather get an $4.75 check in the mail from the government delivered to your door, tax free, every Thursday?
   517. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:41 PM (#4145443)
And now it's even *more* like the Lounge.
   518. Chicago Joe Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:46 PM (#4145447)
Let me play you some Belle & Sebastian.

No one wants to shag Art Garfunkel or shag to his music.
   519. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4145448)
Another tip for newbies to the Lounge: don't try to fill the back catalog. Just listen to the new song and go with it.
   520. jmurph Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:47 PM (#4145449)
So basically Chuck Klosterman posts in the lounge a lot? That's the sense I'm getting from these examples.
   521. Mark S. is bored Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:49 PM (#4145452)
So basically Chuck Klosterman posts in the lounge a lot? That's the sense I'm getting from these examples.
Actually there is a lot of anti-Klosterman sentiment in the lounge.
   522. Chicago Joe Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:50 PM (#4145454)
Furtado be getting lounged, yo!
   523. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:51 PM (#4145456)
I'm a Klosterman apologist.
   524. billyshears Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:55 PM (#4145460)
Forgive me if this has been answered (I just showed up when the thread hit 500 posts and I became convinced that #### must be going down), but how will Funniest Member be determined? Will it be based on the aggregate number of funny comments by that member, or the percentage of comments by that member deemed funny. Does it matter how many members deem a comment to be funny? If it's based on the percentage of comments by a member deemed funny, can we have a system where the posting member designates a comment as intended to be funny, and Funniest Member is based on the percentage of intended funny comments by a member that are actually deemed funny? It would be a shame if a funny member missed out on contending for Funniest Member because they can be insightful as often as they can be funny.
   525. Mark S. is bored Posted: June 01, 2012 at 04:55 PM (#4145461)
You must have to apologize a lot.
   526. fra paolo Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:02 PM (#4145467)
Furtado be getting lounged, yo!

Sir Andrew Huxley has died.
In 1983 Huxley defended the Society’s decision to elect [the dreadful Mrs] Margaret Thatcher as a fellow on the ground of her support for science even after 44 fellows had signed a letter of protest.
This excerpt from the Telegraph's obituary doesn't really do enough justice to the 'letter of protest'. The first mrs fra paolo was working there at the time, and according to her colleagues the only time they'd seen more outrage was when the Emperor Hirohito of Japan had been made a Fellow. This brought out a full-blown rent-a-mob style protest from a number of fellows who'd spent time in Japanese POW camps.

Of course, I used to see Huxley when I lunched at the Royal Society. (I was working just the other side of Trafalgar Square in the middle 1980s.) He'd often bring Lord Hailsham, who looked like he hadn't bought any new clothes since 1938, as a guest.
   527. rr Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:03 PM (#4145468)
Read through the new comments. In one, Mr. Furtado said that people don't realize how these supposed issues (acrimony, etc) "impact the site." I would like to know a little more about that. Also, while I am probably one of the targets of Harv and Joey's ire, I have, for a variety of reasons, cut way back on my posts in political threads. But I mostly agree with Ray, SBB and Andy on the meta-analysis of them.

I also disagree with the idea of "funny" rankings. I notice that the number of one-liners in this thread has gone way up since that topic was broached. If the site wants to recognize humor and insight in some way, maybe there should be some sort of yearly award, named for John Brattain. It could be called, and I think he would like this, the "Bratty."

528. pv nasby Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:05 PM (#4145473)
   529. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:14 PM (#4145479)
There is only one rule to lounging:

Do not post a link to 2G1C. Ask me how I know.
   530. Bourbon Samurai Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:15 PM (#4145480)
Will it be based on the aggregate number of funny comments by that member, or the percentage of comments by that member deemed funny. Does it matter how many members deem a comment to be funny? If it's based on the percentage of comments by a member deemed funny, can we have a system where the posting member designates a comment as intended to be funny, and Funniest Member is based on the percentage of intended funny comments by a member that are actually deemed funny? It would be a shame if a funny member missed out on contending for Funniest Member because they can be insightful as often as they can be funny.

Obviously we will need funniest member by rate stats and by counting stats.
   531. Kirby Kyle Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:17 PM (#4145485)
Obviously we will need funniest member by rate stats and by counting stats.

Humor Above Replacement (HAR).
   532. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:18 PM (#4145486)
Forgive me if this has been answered (I just showed up when the thread hit 500 posts and I became convinced that #### must be going down), but how will Funniest Member be determined?

This has been answered conclusively. Sext your junk to Jimmy's cell.
   533. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:21 PM (#4145488)
The race is for second funniest member.
   534. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:21 PM (#4145489)
I get an Access Forbidden error to Bernal's Rules of Lounge Order.

Which seems appropriate, actually.
   535. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4145491)
Try this one then.

Do I have to do everything around here?
   536. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4145492)
I also disagree with the idea of "funny" rankings. I notice that the number of one-liners in this thread has gone way up since that topic was broached. If the site wants to recognize humor and insight in some way, maybe there should be some sort of yearly award, named for John Brattain. It could be called, and I think he would like this, the "Bratty."

And if Keefe doesn't win it every year, the fix is in. The only real competition is for second place.
   537. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:25 PM (#4145493)
Well played. +1. Like.
   538. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:25 PM (#4145495)
And now it's even *more* like the Lounge.

So the Lounge is just a stream-of-consciousness style of random, unfunny one or two liners such as "Furtudo be gettin' lounge, yo," accompanied by frequent links to obscure photos that are supposed to serve as some punch line?

539. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:25 PM (#4145496)
SJ's "would you rather questions" are satires of Klosterman's bullshit questions.
   540. fra paolo Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4145497)
Do I have to do everything around here?

Only if it involves hats, watches or albrights.
   541. rr Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4145498)
Keefe isn't a poster; he's a character created by a poster. Also, I think a lot of people don't think Keefe is particularly funny.
   542. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4145499)
So the Lounge is just a stream-of-consciousness style of random, unfunny one or two liners such as "Furtudo be gettin' lounge, yo," accompanied by frequent links to obscure photos that are supposed to serve as some punch line?

No.
   543. DA Baracus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:35 PM (#4145503)

As in you apologize for Klosterman's questions?
   544. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:37 PM (#4145506)
No.

Well, that seems to be what we're seeing here.
   545. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:39 PM (#4145509)

No.
   546. BDC Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4145511)
I will say that Art Garfunkel made my second-favorite recording of "I Only Have Eyes For You." Helen Forrest's is my favorite. Garfunkel's voice is higher than hers.

I would appreciate lots of votes of "insightful" for this remark.
   547. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:43 PM (#4145512)
The Lounge has everything. We scout pitchers. We debate WAR (but rarely war). We discuss movies and TV shows and music. We put up with people's anecdotes about their spawn. We give advice. We shun advice. We poke fun. We defend our friends. We even discuss politics sometimes, but always in a civil way.

The Lounge has everything good, and it also has Bernal Diaz.
   548. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:45 PM (#4145513)
The Lounge has everything good, and it also has Bernal Diaz.

And Fly wants to kill me.
   549. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:49 PM (#4145515)
- The Lounge has everything good, and it also has Bernal Diaz.

I already said it had everything good.
   550. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:50 PM (#4145516)
Keefe isn't a poster; he's a character created by a poster.

I'm not sure where the distinction lies. He's no less real than any other Primate who uses a handle, and just because his humor takes a different form than the late John's puns or Sam's spot-on insults is no reason to exclude him.

Also, I think a lot of people don't think Keefe is particularly funny.

The humor-challenged and the literalminded will always be among us, but what can you do? Some of my best friends are like that. But maybe you have to be familiar with the original Lardner riffs to know just how ####### perfect Keefe's parodies are.
   551. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:51 PM (#4145517)
Garfunkel was dating the shagalicous Candice Bergen in Carnal Knowledge. Can't remember if he was shagging her. Nicholson, Garfunkel's roommate, shagged her thus putting Garfunkel permanently out of the picture.

I actually kind of like Simon & Garfunkel but I can't tell whether my like is genuine or ironic. What do hipsters think of them?
   552. rr Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:58 PM (#4145520)
But maybe you have to be familiar with the original Lardner riffs to know just how ####### perfect Keefe's parodies are.

I am, and I still don't think Keefe is all that funny. What he does is a riff on a tradition that you find particularly funny, in part because of your age, background, sensibilities etc. I do chuckle at him from time to time; my fave Keefeism was "Barack Obrella." And Keefe is IMO far "less real" than other posters, your preoccupation with handles notwithstanding.

I went in and looked at a couple of Lounge exchanges.
   553. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 05:59 PM (#4145521)
Clint Eastwood's wife's brother is married to Graucho Marx's granddaughter.
   554. Bourbon Samurai Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:02 PM (#4145523)
Keefe isn't a poster; he's a character created by a poster

Same as me. In real life I'm Tim Geithner.
   555. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:06 PM (#4145525)
In real life I'm Tim Geithner.

I'm Batman.
   556. Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:08 PM (#4145527)
The Lounge's greatest contribution has been the mainstreaming of The Last Psychiatrist.
   557. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:10 PM (#4145528)
This thread is almost 600 posts. Must be political. Isn't it time it got shut down or moved to the forums to fizzle and die a quick death and stop cluttering up the hot topics bar?
   558. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:11 PM (#4145529)

You're a horrible excuse for a human being.

559. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:12 PM (#4145530)
The lounge is great and very accepting of people. I would even be nice to Ray and David if they stopped by and kept the political talk to a minimum. Like non existent.
   560. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:13 PM (#4145532)
The lounge is great and very accepting of people. I would even be nice to Ray and David if they stopped by and kept the political talk to a minimum. Like non existent.

I'm honestly not sure you guys realize what has just happened here.
   561. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:13 PM (#4145533)
Also yesterday's lounge was almost 1900 posts and today's is close to 1200 already. It is not dying at all.
   562. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:13 PM (#4145534)

See above. Also, Fly is a mutant.
   563. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:14 PM (#4145535)
You're a horrible excuse for a human being.

I've heard.
   564. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:14 PM (#4145536)
I think I may get some Greek food tonight. Maybe Korean BBQ.
   565. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:15 PM (#4145537)
The Lounge's greatest contribution has been the mainstreaming of The Last Psychiatrist.

Davo is the most hated Lounger, and yet we accept him still.
   566. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:15 PM (#4145538)
Oh also the forums are not googleable. So that is a plus.
   567. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:17 PM (#4145541)
One good source of new Lounginistas is divorce.

We are a kind and rational people.

Yes. You'd hate it, sport.
   568. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:17 PM (#4145542)
Oh also the forums are not googleable. So that is a plus.

If nothing memorable is ever said there, sure.
   569. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:17 PM (#4145543)

The problem isn't politics, but tone-deafness.
   570. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:17 PM (#4145544)
Davo is the most hated Lounger, and yet we accept him still.

You're a young man yet, Perros.
   571. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:19 PM (#4145546)
Anybody here would find acceptance in the Lounge. As long as you refrain from pissing off Harvey.
   572. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:21 PM (#4145547)
The Lounge is not dying. Threads that are unceremoniously moved from the Mainland to the Forums, into the Political Lounge concentration camps die. Because the people who participate in the Mainland OT threads don't interact in the Forums and thus march over to their new ethnic ghetto just because someone with key-powers decided to run a cleansing and forcibly relocate their conversation. In fact, what they do is move on to the next most obvious thread ON THE MAINLAND that has the potential to carry forward the conversations they were having previously, rebuild those exact same conversations in the new thread, spin that one out for 1000 more posts, until it is similarly forced to dance the Palestinian tango, at which point the conversation moves on to reformulate in yet another new thread.

The big lie of Mainland political debate threads is that there are many of them. There's not. There's one conversation, with about 20 or so regular contributors, that has to constantly reconstitute itself in various new threads from time to time because someone randomly decided that the last one was getting too "acrimonious." The political "threads" are just like the NBA or Soccer threads, only instead of being rationally managed forward into a new post every month, they go until they get killed and have to be reborn like a damned phoenix in some random thread to be determined.
   573. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:21 PM (#4145548)

The Lounge seems to remember everything. Some Loungers actually read what other people have to say, which in an online context is rather extraordinary.
   574. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:21 PM (#4145549)
Anybody here would find acceptance in the Lounge. As long as you refrain from pissing off Harvey.

This is true. Harvey terrifies the Loungers into submission to the point of hilarity.
   575. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:22 PM (#4145550)

The point is no one from your next job interview will ever Google up some random, offensive joke you made in the Lounge.
   576. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:23 PM (#4145552)
The Lounge is more like the mainland used to be -- more snarky than serious. I have passionate positions on politics, and often go off on a rant, but it's not a tenth of what I talk about.

Naked yoga makes up about 80 percent.
   577. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:24 PM (#4145554)
Anybody here would find acceptance in the Lounge.

Sorry, we're washing our hair Saturday night.
   578. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:26 PM (#4145556)
The Lounge is not dying.

Well, yeah -- death presupposes life.
   579. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:26 PM (#4145558)
When it comes right down to it, a number of the people who have complained here about the nastiness of the politics threads have been nasty themselves in doing the complaining.

Great, now I only trail you by fifty thousand to one. Progress.
   580. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4145560)
You are an idiot and you have no clue what you are talking about. But keep ###### that chicken if you think it makes you cool.
   581. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4145561)
Bernal is one of the ones who shows up to throw bombs and then leaves.

For him, the 400-post mark is a signal... to start carpet bombing.

Cropdusting is the preferred term.
   582. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:28 PM (#4145562)
If I saw something I wanted to respond to, by the time I responded it seemed like the thread had added another two pages and the topic had drifted wildly.

This is perfectly acceptable behavior, by the way.
   583. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:32 PM (#4145563)
This is perfectly acceptable behavior, by the way.

Dialing the lounge is an art form, in fact.
   584. Dag Nabbit is part of the zombie horde Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:33 PM (#4145564)

When in doubt, make a joke at Dial's expense. Or Bernal.
   585. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:37 PM (#4145568)
Sorry, we're washing our hair Saturday night.

That combover's not fooling anybody.
   586. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:39 PM (#4145569)
Harvey terrifies the Loungers into submission to the point of hilarity.

You wouldn't laugh if you knew what happened to Jeff K.
   587. Bitter Mouse Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:41 PM (#4145570)
I don't think Keefe is that funny, but many do so he might win. For me Gonfalon makes me laugh the most.

All this talk of the lounge makes me want to visit, I loved the super snarky Primer days - heck I am even getting a divorce! Of course it is the most amicable divorce ever, but still.
   588. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 06:55 PM (#4145576)
All this talk of the lounge makes me remember why I don't visit the lounge. Well, that and having Bernal around doesn't help either.
   589. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 07:03 PM (#4145587)
All this talk of the talk of the lounge makes me think this thread is too long.
   590. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 07:03 PM (#4145588)
Whatever. I rock.
   591. Bitter Mouse Posted: June 01, 2012 at 07:07 PM (#4145594)
I went over to the lounge. It was OK, but I wasn't tempted to contribute. Maybe some time a cat is not sitting RIGHT ON TOP OF ME. If he didn't have cancer I would kick him off my lap.
   592. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 07:51 PM (#4145625)
Perfect.
   593.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 01, 2012 at 07:57 PM (#4145630)

Another tip for newbies to the Lounge: don't try to fill the back catalog. Just listen to the new song and go with it.

Yeah. Just find something you want to respond to and respond. Or don't. It's not "difficult" at all.

And yes, Gonfalon is miles ahead of Keefe, whose posts I tend to gloss over now.

And no, Ray, I can't imagine you would like the Lounge. But then, I can't really imagine you enjoying anything. So there is that.
   594. Banta Posted: June 01, 2012 at 08:03 PM (#4145633)
Because the people who participate in the Mainland OT threads don't interact in the Forums and thus march over to their new ethnic ghetto just because someone with key-powers decided to run a cleansing and forcibly relocate their conversation. In fact, what they do is move on to the next most obvious thread ON THE MAINLAND that has the potential to carry forward the conversations they were having previously, rebuild those exact same conversations in the new thread, spin that one out for 1000 more posts, until it is similarly forced to dance the Palestinian tango, at which point the conversation moves on to reformulate in yet another new thread.

The big lie of Mainland political debate threads is that there are many of them. There's not. There's one conversation, with about 20 or so regular contributors, that has to constantly reconstitute itself in various new threads from time to time because someone randomly decided that the last one was getting too "acrimonious." The political "threads" are just like the NBA or Soccer threads, only instead of being rationally managed forward into a new post every month, they go until they get killed and have to be reborn like a damned phoenix in some random thread to be determined.

I'm quoting this all because it's the damn truth.
   595. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: June 01, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4145635)
And no, Ray, I can't imagine you would like the Lounge. But then, I can't really imagine you enjoying anything. So there is that.

He likes Fat Elvis. That adds a human sort of touch to him that makes me believe that he is something else instead of an Ichiro hating robot.
   596. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 08:07 PM (#4145636)
That's like saying there is only one sabermetric conversation.
   597. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 08:34 PM (#4145650)
So is this whole thing just about the Loungers not getting noticed enough?

I ask because ... well, because the whole thing just screamed that ... but also because I took a short jaunt over there and noticed how someone there asked about me when I've never paid a lick of attention to the thing.(*) I don't know whether to laugh, or try to get a stalking injunction.

(*) 6:26 PM, out of the pre-universe ether: "Is Sugar Bear Blanks saying anything I should know about?
6:44 PM: "He doesn't like the lounge. Neither does Ray or David N. Somehow we'll just have to find the strength to survive."
6:49 PM: "That’s what’s perfect about the lounge. People like that self-select out, because they would be ignored here. And if you are ignored in the lounge, it likely proves the problem is you…"

598. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 08:39 PM (#4145651)
I went to the lounge. Seems okay. Kind of like Abe Simpson's description of what was on the radio when he was a kid (mostly just Edison reciting the alphabet.First he start with A...then most probably he'd go to B...)

594:

Even if so, how is that any different than recurring discussions about any number of baseball topics, such as the HOF, steroids, video games, movies, or recapitulations in detail of games?

Indeed, you can say the discussions outside of the BBTF world as to politics is the same as here, too, as are the outside world's literary/cinematic/scientific/philosphical discussions. People have been discussing the same stuff in philosophy for almost 3000 years without much getting anywhere. That doesn't stop the discussions.

Breaking it up now and then isn't necessarily bad. It's like throwing scalding water on fighting dogs/cats. You don't expect them not resume at a later date. And you shouldn't be trigger happy with the hot water--it takes someone who recognizes a situation that has become truly chaotic. There doesn't seem to be anybody here capable of that.
   599. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 01, 2012 at 08:51 PM (#4145658)
So is this whole thing just about the Loungers not getting noticed enough?

What whole thing? I mean, the answer is "no" in any case, but there have been a bunch 0f topics covered in this thread and I'm curious which one you're referring to.

I took a short jaunt over there and noticed how someone there asked about me when I've never paid a lick of attention to the thing.(*) I don't know whether to laugh, or try to get a stalking injunction.

(*) 6:26 PM, out of the pre-universe ether: "Is Sugar Bear Blanks saying anything I should know about?
6:44 PM: "He doesn't like the lounge. Neither does Ray or David N. Somehow we'll just have to find the strength to survive."
6:49 PM: "That’s what’s perfect about the lounge. People like that self-select out, because they would be ignored here. And if you are ignored in the lounge, it likely proves the problem is you…"

Most people in the Lounge read the main site too. When the main site discusses the Lounge, word of it usually gets back to the Lounge one way or another. That's pretty much it. In all other cases the Lounge has no more interest in you than you have interest in or knowledge of it.
   600. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:06 PM (#4145670)
Most people in the Lounge read the main site too. When the main site discusses the Lounge, word of it usually gets back to the Lounge one way or another. That's pretty much it. In all other cases the Lounge has no more interest in you than you have interest in or knowledge of it.

So what's the problem? Some people are happy here, some people are happy there, a few people snark about the other place when they get bored, and Sam's got a shiv in both of his pockets. Sounds to me like everyone's happy.
Page 6 of 14 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.