Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Jim's Lab Notes > Discussion
Jim's Lab Notes
— Site News, Baseball Talk, and a Bunch of Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off-Topics, Politics, and the Redesign

FYI, in the redesign I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a new politics off-topic blog that I am setting up for the purpose. By default, members will not see these discussions in their Hot Topics until they opt-in to see them. In the interim I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a dedicated monthly thread (similar to the football, basketball, and soccer threads), which will be tagged as “politics”, marked as “OT:Politics” in the title, and which will include a disclaimer about the nature and tone of the discussion. I will also begin closing the off-topic political discussions in other threads.

In the redesign I also will be moving the sports-related off-topic threads to their own dedicated area. Like the off-topic political threads these threads will only appear in Hot Topics when members opt-in to see them. When this change takes place members will be able to submit news links to basketball, football, soccer, and golf (whichever sports that generate interest) articles, which will appear in their appropriate off-topic micro.

So, in the redesign people who wish to discuss these topics will be able to do so easily while people who wish to ignore such topics will be able to do so easily as well.

Donate to BaseballThinkFactory.org using PayPal.com

Jim Furtado Posted: May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | 1369 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 7 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›
   601. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4145693)
So what's the problem? Some people are happy here, some people are happy there, a few people snark about the other place when they get bored, and Sam's got a shiv in both of his pockets. Sounds to me like everyone's happy.

There's nothing wrong *with the Lounge.* The Lounge is happy with the Lounge. Jim is happy with the Lounge. The problem is with the Mainland OT threads that act as a pseudo-lounge - the "Longthreaders." The Longthreaders - you, David, Ray, me, etc. - are happy with the Longthreads. Jim is not. As Jim is sort of the big dick on campus at the end of the day, the Longthreaders are going to have to live with some changes.

The Lounging of this thread is more due to some Loungers coming over to vent their frustration that the Longthreaders don't want to lose the Longthreads, because that's what the Lounge (and other forums, like the Political forum) was made for anyway. And yes, it's all gotten all kinds of meta, snake eating it's own tail stupid at this point. But there it is.
   602. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:20 PM (#4145696)
That's like saying there is only one sabermetric conversation.

In certain ways, there is only one sabermetric conversation. The opponents call it "groupthink."
   603. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:22 PM (#4145701)
So what's the problem? Some people are happy here, some people are happy there, a few people snark about the other place when they get bored, and Sam's got a shiv in both of his pockets. Sounds to me like everyone's happy.

In this case, no problem at all. I was just responding to SugarBear's implication that the Lounge breathlessly awaits his every post.

There are things that I (a Lounger) dislike about the main site, but (a) I don't think the resign is a Lounge vs. Mainland issue at all and (b) it's too close to burger and beer time for me to start a debate about what the Lounge is or ought to be.
   604. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:29 PM (#4145714)
I was just responding to SugarBear's implication that the Lounge breathlessly awaits his every post.

It wasn't an implication, it was explicit. Proof's right there in the Lounge (*) -- a place I literally didn't know existed until about 4 hours ago.

(*) Where the weirdo stalking continues on and worsens after the few passages I quoted. Real "nice" and "harmonious" stuff.
   605. DA Baracus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:31 PM (#4145720)
So is this whole thing just about the Loungers not getting noticed enough?

No, it's about self centered people who like to argue being upset that other people will have even more ways to continue to ignore their arguing.
   606. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:32 PM (#4145723)
This is an interesting discussion. I really honestly thought the forums section of the site was moribund and near-empty. Periodically I go to the Forums section of the site and click on "Baseball Lounge" and see that in this "lounge" that people occasionally talk about there seems to be about three threads per month with about five posts per thread. Apparently all I needed to do was scroll down below "Baseball Lounge" to find the actual "Lounge". It exists! And does seem to be a better place for off-topic discussion.
   607. Gaelan Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:37 PM (#4145728)
Having gone back and read the whole thread it seems like a lot of this is in the hope of generating more baseball content and discussion. I can sympathize with that hope. However, it seems to me that the reason that there isn't as much baseball discussion as there used to be is that there isn't anything left to say. In terms of baseball discussion we are living at the end of history. There are no extent debates, and everyone pretty much agrees on everything. No one talks about DIPS anymore, Bert Blyeleven is in the hall of fame and Jack Morris isn't. The revolution is over and everything that can be said has been said.

608. UCCF Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:39 PM (#4145735)
The big lie of Mainland political debate threads is that there are many of them. There's not. There's one conversation, with about 20 or so regular contributors, that has to constantly reconstitute itself in various new threads from time to time because someone randomly decided that the last one was getting too "acrimonious." The political "threads" are just like the NBA or Soccer threads, only instead of being rationally managed forward into a new post every month, they go until they get killed and have to be reborn like a damned phoenix in some random thread to be determined.

Not to point out the obvious, but if this is true then Jim's decision to post a dedicated political thread seems like the perfect solution. No one is going to "randomly decide" to close down the old thread, and the discussion won't have to constantly reconstitute itself elsewhere.

I also assume that, within the bounds of the very limits of the TOS, acrimony won't be punished in that thread. You all can hate #### each other with your words until the cows come home.
   609. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:39 PM (#4145736)
I was just responding to SugarBear's implication that the Lounge breathlessly awaits his every post.

It wasn't an implication, it was explicit. Proof's right there in the Lounge (*) -- a place I literally didn't know existed until about 4 hours ago.

(*) Where the weirdo stalking continues on and worsens after the few passages I quoted. Real "nice" and "harmonious" stuff.
Yup. It is all about you.
   610. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:41 PM (#4145741)

There's nothing wrong *with the Lounge.* The Lounge is happy with the Lounge. Jim is happy with the Lounge. The problem is with the Mainland OT threads that act as a pseudo-lounge - the "Longthreaders." The Longthreaders - you, David, Ray, me, etc. - are happy with the Longthreads. Jim is not. As Jim is sort of the big dick on campus at the end of the day, the Longthreaders are going to have to live with some changes.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but if the worst thing I have to acclimate myself to in the next few weeks is a few cosmetic changes on BTF, I'll think of that poor dog who may have wound up in Obama's stomach, and be grateful that I wasn't that dog.

----------------------------------------

In this case, no problem at all. I was just responding to SugarBear's implication that the Lounge breathlessly awaits his every post.

The only person I can imagine breathlessly awaiting my posts is my wife when she wants to get on the computer.

There are things that I (a Lounger) dislike about the main site, but (a) I don't think the resign is a Lounge vs. Mainland issue at all and (b) it's too close to burger and beer time for me to start a debate about what the Lounge is or ought to be.

Just keep that beer under 16 ounces. There may be sugar in it.
   611. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:44 PM (#4145756)

Did you guys figure out my profession yet?
   612.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:45 PM (#4145760)
I think that is somewhat true. When someone posts a brilliant baseball column it may not get many comments but that's because there's not much to say beyond "Good show" and "Well said sir, I agree."
   613. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:46 PM (#4145767)
No, it's about self centered people who like to argue being upset that other people will have even more ways to continue to ignore their arguing.

Again, speaking only for myself, do you honestly think that we really care whether you choose to ignore us? Do you care if we ignore you? Do you even care whether we know how to find the lounge? Come on, get real.
   614. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:47 PM (#4145769)
Dudes, you really ought to be watching STL v. NYM - Johan needs one out for a no-no.
EDIT: Too late, he did it.
   615. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:50 PM (#4145782)
Again, speaking only for myself, do you honestly think that we really care whether you choose to ignore us?

They don't ignore us and I can't begin to fathom the cognitive dissonance that lets them tell themselves they do. Bizarre.
   616. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:50 PM (#4145786)

Did you guys figure out my profession yet?
From your posting style I am guessing Professional #######.
   617. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:52 PM (#4145793)
Dudes, you really ought to be watching STL v. NYM - Johan needs one out for a no-no.

Wish you'd posted that before I settled into switching between the Yanks and the Celtics. Glad to see that he finished the job. First Mets no-no in 51 years.
   618. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:56 PM (#4145802)
You know who else read the lounge just to see what people were saying about him? The Captain.
   619. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 09:59 PM (#4145806)
Sorry, but the "longthreads" are nothing like the lounge. The longthreads are coherent conversations, not just random comments from random people (*).

(*) Who always seem to be jealous that they're not here. Sugarbear isn't the only mainlander to pop in to check on the Lounge and find people talking about him even though he hasn't posted in the Lounge.

EDIT: Not that this happened recently, but it has happened in the past for me.
   620. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:05 PM (#4145815)
Funny funny stuff.
   621. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:06 PM (#4145816)
I guarantee you, not one of us who mostly posts over there has the slightest bit of "jealousy" about not posting over here. I post over here as often as I want.
   622. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:06 PM (#4145817)
Did you guys ever figure out who ate your strawberries?
   623. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:09 PM (#4145821)
I literally did not know of the existence of the Lounge until today and had no idea there was a Lounge/Mainlander rivalry.

My little man's telling me they probably do talk politics there, essentially without dissent, and that remnants of the old-line liberal circle jerk have taken shelter there.
   624. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:10 PM (#4145822)
Man, I'm glad we have a forum section. I mostly certainly don't miss the old days of Primer.
   625. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:13 PM (#4145828)
My little man's telling me they probably do talk politics there

Sometimes.

essentially without dissent,

This is completely wrong.

and that remnants of the old-line liberal circle jerk have taken shelter there.

I don't know who these people are.

626. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:16 PM (#4145830)
And, just to clarify something, SugarBear Blanks is responding to the fact that I, in The Lounge, asked what he was posting about in this thread. I asked this because I have him on Ignore, but as he seemed to be chiming in a lot in the conversation I was in, I thought maybe I'd ask people I knew if I was missing anything. In retrospect, I should have just taken him off Ignore to check it, as I just did, but I didn't, and that's life.
   627. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 10:41 PM (#4145844)
Sorry, but the "longthreads" are nothing like the lounge. The longthreads are coherent conversations, not just random comments from random people.

You say that because you follow them and know their ebb and flow. In any given longthread there are two or three sub-conversations going on at a given time, and you know how to follow them. The Lounge has it's ebb and flow. The only thing is you don't know the syntax and you're not willing to learn it because you don't think you ought to have to. And because you don't want to have to live in a social network where you're not one of the alpha contributors with long term cred.
   628. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:00 PM (#4145855)
Let's be honest here the lounge doesn't want us and anyone of them that says differently is either fooling themselves or just straight lying to us all. The "longthreaders" are quite happy with never having to interact with the Loungers while by and large Loungers want the longthreaders gone. Period. By and large we don't know you exist but you guys most definitely know we exist and you hate us. Most of us are on your ignore lists.
   629. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:02 PM (#4145859)
Yes, it's becoming remarkably clear that only a good old totalitarian purge will satisfy most the critics. Everything else is dissembling.
   630. Super Creepy Derek Lowe (GGC) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:03 PM (#4145861)
No one talks about DIPS anymore

DIPS is the devil.
   631. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:04 PM (#4145863)
McCoy, I have no idea who you are, but I find post 628 impressively presumptuous and misguided.
   632. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:04 PM (#4145864)
627:

Yes, it reminds us of the specter of death, but there's more. They're cranky old men and no one likes them.

626:

People who put people on ignore don't deserve to be taken seriously. There seems to be a lot of that among those who are infuriated with the "longthreaders." As McCoy put it in a roundabout way, this is about genocide. Really, if that's your play, the only thing left is for everyone to just start squeeezzing triggers.
   633. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:05 PM (#4145865)
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but if the worst thing I have to acclimate myself to in the next few weeks is a few cosmetic changes on BTF, I'll think of that poor dog who may have wound up in Obama's stomach, and be grateful that I wasn't that dog.

Well, you know, this is really the heart of the matter, IMHO. Here's what's going to happen. Jim's going to finish beta testing the new site design. He's going to roll out some of the new features he's been working on. Some people will love some of them, and others will hate some of them. People will like it, and others will ##### about losing something familiar and having to figure out something new. *MAYBE* one or two peripheral folks will fade away. But the heart of the "longthreader" community will stay. They'll figure out the new site, they'll use the bits of it that facilitate their preferred networks, and ignore the bits that don't. Ray will stay. David will stay. I'll be in and out as always. Anyone who has migrated *forums* to follow this same community of conversationalists out of ####### *USENET*, onto Primer, through the BTF migration, full flag flying into Web 3.whatever it is we're at now? Dude. We're not going anywhere. And maybe now our little corner of the yapposphere will be cordoned off, similar to but distinct from the lounges, but in a way that keeps Jason Stark from having to scroll through our belicose banter just to see if anyone is interested in his latest column. Or it might keep the guys from MLB.com who scroll through to see what links are being pushed and what stories are hot in the non-official official site of baseball on the web won't see our silly Luke Scott meanders.

But at the end of the day? We'll be wherever the forum is. As will you, and 95% of the longthreaders at large. Because much like the Loungers, we don't come for the forum. We come for the people. And all of this - this entire ####### thread - is so much ado about jack ####### nothing it could almost bring a grown man to tears. It's just so ####### absurd. Jim is changing the layout of his site. Get the #### over it.
   634. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:07 PM (#4145866)
McCoy, the Lounge has picked up a couple of newbies from this very thread, and they've been made to feel as welcome as anyone is on the first spin through. Not coddled. Not hated on. Just...there. Anyone wants to go to the Lounge, for ####'s sake, go to the Lounge. As long as you don't go to the Lounge to talk about how ####### horrible the Lounge is, you'll be just fine. If you don't want to go? DON'T GO!
   635. Lassus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:09 PM (#4145867)
Jim is changing the layout of his site. Get the #### over it.

Yes. I will say, however, subjectively, some of the designs and fonts need some real work.
   636. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:10 PM (#4145871)
Sorry, but the "longthreads" are nothing like the lounge. The longthreads are coherent conversations, not just random comments from random people (*).

For the truth.

Although I've been a member here almost since the inception, I quit participating for a few years because the threads seemed to be completely dominated by Comic Book Guys who only knew how to communicate in random snarks. That seems to be ideal that many would like to revert to. Never explain, always complain, but in tweet fashion only.
   637. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:10 PM (#4145872)
McCoy, I have no idea who you are, but I find post 628 impressively presumptuous and misguided.

Shall I quote lounge posts?

McCoy, the Lounge has picked up a couple of newbies from this very thread,

But that has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say the lounge doesn't like the mainland. I said the lounge posters don't like the people they consider to be "longthreaders".

638. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4145876)
I love hanging out in the Lounge. If you want a place to decompress drop on by. It is a cool place.
   639. tshipman Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4145877)
(*) Who always seem to be jealous that they're not here. Sugarbear isn't the only mainlander to pop in to check on the Lounge and find people talking about him even though he hasn't posted in the Lounge.

Hey wow. That appears to be a thing. Did not realize that there was a section of the site where people hung out and gossiped about other people. I'm going to go back to never looking at the lounge.

How shockingly rude.
   640. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:13 PM (#4145878)
626:

People who put people on ignore don't deserve to be taken seriously. There seems to be a lot of that among those who are infuriated with the "longthreaders." As McCoy put it in a roundabout way, this is about genocide. Really, if that's your play, the only thing left is for everyone to just start squeeezzing triggers.

You're entitled to your opinion on the Ignore thing. I have only two people on Ignore (well, one now), and honestly I can't even remember the inciting posts for either, so maybe I should go ahead and lift the other one too. But sometimes, when you're ignoring someone anyway, there's no reason not to make it official and save yourself the scrolling time. I don't think that employing timesaving measures is enough to not take someone seriously, but apparently your mileage varies.

As for the rest of your post, I'm not sure I follow it. Any claim to "genocide" is hysterical, as I'm sure you know and are using for effect. Jim wants his site to be a certain thing, and is taking steps to try to make it that thing. Some of use would also like to be that site that thing, and are happy to see him doing something. It's not a big deal.

And, really, "we" Lounginistas have already been through this, when The Lounge was moved to the forums. At first, there was much gnashing of teeth and rending of garments and pissing of pants, and within a week or two we realized everything was fine and, in many ways, a lot better. It is the community that survives, and for those who enjoy their political discussions, they too will survive whatever cosmetic changes Jim makes to his website. The only downside I see is that everyone finds it easier to find the sort of conversation they want to take part in.
   641. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:15 PM (#4145880)
That's a mighty broad brush you got there McCoy. You get that at Lowes or Home Depot? They don't have Menards on the East Coast do they?
   642. Super Creepy Derek Lowe (GGC) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4145881)
You know what the world needs? More Don Malcolm posts. That way you get acidity and baseball. He complains more about BPro than I complain about Fangraphs.
   643. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:16 PM (#4145882)
McCoy - some do, yes, for sure. There is nothing, however, that is unanimous in the Lounge. We bicker over everything. A great majority of the Lounge has nothing at all to say about the mainland (many are regular contributors).
   644. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:17 PM (#4145883)
- McCoy, I have no idea who you are, but I find post 628 impressively presumptuous and misguided.

If you like.

But that has nothing to do with what I said. I didn't say the lounge doesn't like the mainland. I said the lounge posters don't like the people they consider to be "longthreaders".

Well, I for one don't dislike anybody on this site, and don't know who the "longthreaders" are I'm apparently meant (by association?) to dislike.
   645. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4145885)
Did not realize that there was a section of the site where people hung out and gossiped about other people. I'm going to go back to never looking at the lounge.

How shockingly rude.

To the extent anything like this happens, it's probably less than 1% of Lounge posts. Funnily enough, there's probably as often a post notifying people as to an interesting off-topic thread over here as anything.
   646. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:18 PM (#4145886)
That's a mighty broad brush you got there McCoy. You get that at Lowes or Home Depot? They don't have Menards on the East Coast do they?

But that brush should clearly be painting you, shouldn't it?

McCoy - some do, yes, for sure. There is nothing, however, that is unanimous in the Lounge. We bicker over everything. A great majority of the Lounge has nothing at all to say about the mainland (many are regular contributors).

I think you guys are picking nits here. There is a cabal of loungers that don't like a cabal of mainlanders. Is that true or not? Why dance around it?
   647. Super Creepy Derek Lowe (GGC) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:19 PM (#4145887)
BTW, the Lounge may not be Googlable, but it has a better archives beast than the Mainland. If I want to read Dag's reviews of The Deadliest Catch or revisit an old discussion, it is pretty easy to find. It makes it easy to egosurf in case I'm not around for a few days; seeing how I can't access this place from work anymore and don't surf at much at home now that I'm married.
   648. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:19 PM (#4145888)
For you non-Loungers - there seriously has been more discussion in the Lounge today of my child's late-night vomiting from last night than there was about the whole of you combined. The idea that the Lounge is devoted to gossip about the Mainland is preposterous.
   649. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:20 PM (#4145889)

If you like.

Do a search for the word "longthreader". Look at JLAC's posts from yesterday's lounge where he declare that we should all be banned. Hell, just follow Bernal or Perros around.
   650. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:21 PM (#4145890)
For you non-Loungers - there seriously has been more discussion in the Lounge today of my child's late-night vomiting from last night than there was about the whole of you combined. The idea that the Lounge is devoted to gossip about the Mainland is preposterous.

So what? You guys treat the lounge like it is twitter.
   651. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4145891)
McCoy - i think there is a group of BTFers who do not like the status quo at BTF. Some of them Lounge. That doesn't make the Lounge the headquarters of the resistance, The Lounge is a rich tapestry. It contains multitudes.
   652. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4145893)
You folks amuse and entertain me. And some of you are very full of yourselves. Amusing.
   653. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4145894)
"Well, I for one don't dislike anybody on this site"

To go back and forth between the personal and general can only be to evade a point.

It's become evident that for many this is about purging these threads of certain types of participants, even though at this moment they neither poach nor impinge on those haters' domain.
   654. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:22 PM (#4145896)
I'm not going to follow Bernal around because of the stench and I'm not going to follow Perros around because I don't want to stumble into an SAA meeting. And JLAC doesn't speak for all of us, and in fact others disagreed with those posts you're referring to, and told him so.
   655. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:24 PM (#4145900)
Also if you numbskulls are thinking that I am typical of lounge behavior well that is just silly. I am very much an outlier. Dorks.
   656. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:25 PM (#4145901)
So what? You guys treat the lounge like it is twitter.

...nothing could be further from the truth.

But you know what? None of this discussion matters at all. Let's stipulate - purely for the sake of argument - that the Lounge is entirely a secret cabal dedicated to the obliteration of the "Longthreaders" in all their forms. What, if that were the case, could we do? Would we do?

This isn't about what the Lounge wants for the Mainland, or what the Lounge doesn't want for this matter. This is about Jim wanting to encourage baseball discussion on the Mainland. I don't think he's doing this for the Lounge, or against the Lounge, or with any consideration to the Lounge at all.
   657. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4145902)
To me this is not about purging at all this is about placing the threads in the appropriate place.
   658. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4145903)
To go back and forth between the personal and general can only be to evade a point.

I was going to say that they were picking nits again. (Is it nits or gnits?) But this sums it up quite well. I'm not making the claim that every single lounger or 100 loungers or 40 loungers hate all mainlanders or just longthreaders but it is quite obvious that there is a significant amount of very vocal loungers who do not like people that they call longthreaders and want them gone or seriously muzzled. This should be beyond dispute.
   659. tshipman Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4145904)
The idea that the Lounge is devoted to gossip about the Mainland is preposterous.

The fact that any of you think it's enjoyable to sit around complaining about people behind their backs is just bizarre. If you have a problem with what someone posts, bring it up in the thread where they post it.

It's not that it's devoted to it, it's that it happens at all.
   660. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4145905)
What, if that were the case, could we do? Would we do?

Exactly what you did -- p!ss and moan and complain to Jim.
   661. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4145906)
Yeah The Jim doesn't get his orders from us. That is funny. A bit sad and paranoid but mostly funny.
   662. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:27 PM (#4145907)

Wait, is THAT what y'all think happened?

Oh.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
   663. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:28 PM (#4145908)
Let me be clear: I have no idea who the "longthreaders" are, and I haven't advocated any banning of anyone. Well, maybe Rob Base, and certainly Yun Torogoashi, but beyond that.

I do support Jim's efforts to further refine the site design to better structure this as the kind of website that he wants to run.

You guys treat the lounge like it is twitter.

Well, that's silly, but if you don't like it, that's fine, no one's asking you to.

But the real takeaway here is that The Lounge has thrived despite its "ghettoization" (ugh). The longstanding political discussions/dynamics will similarly thrive after Jim's changes, I predict.
   664. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:29 PM (#4145909)
Bernal stinks.
   665. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:30 PM (#4145910)

?????????????????????????
   666. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:30 PM (#4145912)
I mean, I know Jim said he got e-mail complaints, but what on Earth gives you the idea that they came from some cabal of Loungers?
   667. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4145913)
I don't stink.
   668. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4145914)
Also if you numbskulls are thinking that I am typical of lounge behavior well that is just silly. I am very much an outlier. Dorks.

This is true. Bernal's a freak.
   669. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:32 PM (#4145915)
...nothing could be further from the truth.

I'll concede that isn't exactly accurate but would you disagree with the view that a ton of posts are twitteresque? Short, largely empty, filled with what are largely meaningless observations, and full of snark. That is not to say that every single post is like that but a ton of it is. Thus, to me anyway, it isn't really an accurate way to defend a place by saying that X is only talked about Y amount of times compared to Z total posts when Z is filled with (what comes after Z?) amount of empty calorie posts.

What, if that were the case, could we do? Would we do?

As I mentioned in my initial post "longthreaders" are unconcerned and largely unaware of the loungers. We don't view you as a threat. This isn't a threatening situation for us.*

*I say us but it should be clear that I am simply writing what is my opinion on the matter.
   670. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:33 PM (#4145916)
Your opinion sucks. Try a different one.
   671. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:34 PM (#4145917)
I'd expect nothing less from you.
   672. Morty Causa Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4145919)
658:

Yes. And every instance we point out of this, they come back like Monty Python in their version of What have the Romans done for us scene--besides, Harveys, Bernal, etc etc, who wants to get rid of you?
   673. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4145920)
> I don't stink.

He means "usually stinks" Bernal. Not right at this moment.
   674. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4145921)
I'll grant that Bernal isn't really helping our case here on the Twitter thing.
   675. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:35 PM (#4145922)
Jim's only real concern is the site. He may personally dislike me, but as long as I don't hurt his business, he could care less what I write.

Some of you are bad for business. The capitalist roaders amongst you should understand what that means...
   676. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:36 PM (#4145925)
Oh don't make me email Jim again....
   677. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:36 PM (#4145926)
Do a search for the word "longthreader". Look at JLAC's posts from yesterday's lounge where he declare that we should all be banned. Hell, just follow Bernal or Perros around.

I wish you wouldn't have said that, McCoy. Now some of us won't be able to sleep for a week.
   678. Paul D(uda) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:36 PM (#4145927)
Hey wow. That appears to be a thing. Did not realize that there was a section of the site where people hung out and gossiped about other people. I'm going to go back to never looking at the lounge.

How shockingly rude.

That's not an accurate, or fair, description of the lounge. There was some of that today, but it was in direct response to this thread (as this thread is doing that exact thing about the lounge).

With all that said, the entire question of whether or not to lounge isn't really germane to this discussion.
   679. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:37 PM (#4145928)
>.I'll grant that Bernal isn't really helping our case here.
Yeah but that's the whole point. "We" don't have a case.
   680. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:37 PM (#4145929)
I'll grant that Bernal isn't really helping our case here on the Twitter thing.

It's not like I view Twitter as some terrible insult. I didn't get to 16,000 Tweets through self-loathing.
   681. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:37 PM (#4145930)
Point out the post where I said I want to get rid of anyone. Thanks!
   682. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:38 PM (#4145932)
It was an insult to Twitter, CW
   683. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4145934)
And every instance we point out of this, they come back like Monty Python in their version of What have the Romans done for us scene--besides, Harveys, Bernal, etc etc, who wants to get rid of you?

This is getting ridiculous. There are probably 50 or so people who cycle through The Lounge with any regularity. So far you've named one guy (JLAC) who proposed banning. Believe me, most of us "care" as little about you do as you do us. I, for one, have very little concept of who many of you are. That's not an insult; I just haven't encountered you very frequently in the threads I tend to read and participate in. I just think you have nothing to worry about in Jim's changes, and may even grow to like the new setup more than the current one.
   684. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4145935)
Bernal's why I moved primarily to the lounge. He's got the kavorka.
   685. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4145936)
He may personally dislike me, but as long as I don't hurt his business, he could care less what I write.

But we could all take that view, well, we could take the view that we could not care less.

Some of you are bad for business.

And then we could also take this view as well. Thus the problem.
   686. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4145937)
Jim's only real concern is the site.

That much I can believe, given the time and energy he's devoted to it. I think we all appreciate that.

Some of you are bad for business.

Hey, be like a good boy and name names.
   687. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4145938)
There was some of that today, but it was in direct response to this thread (as this thread is doing that exact thing about the lounge).

To people's faces in the extraordinarily rare cases it happens, not like cowering, scheming little b!tches in the corner.
   688. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:39 PM (#4145939)
Twitter is offended. Someone email Jim!
   689. tshipman Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:41 PM (#4145942)
That's not an accurate, or fair, description of the lounge. There was some of that today, but it was in direct response to this thread (as this thread is doing that exact thing about the lounge).

With all that said, the entire question of whether or not to lounge isn't really germane to this discussion.

I didn't describe the Lounge as a place where people exclusively hang out and gossip about people behind their back. But it does happen. And not just today. I looked up my name, as well as the names of a few other people, and people are just being anonymously catty. I'm quite certain that it doesn't happen very often. That it happens at all should be embarrassing for you. It really is unspeakably rude.

Edit: I should add, in agreement with SBB (that feels dirty) that any comments made in this thread are made directly to people. Not behind their backs. I am not a 10 year old girl, so I haven't ever felt the need to do that.
   690. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:41 PM (#4145943)
To people's faces, not like cowering, scheming little b!tches in the corner.

Is this schtick?
   691. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:42 PM (#4145945)
I'm quite certain that it doesn't happen very often. That it happens at all should be embarrassing for you. It really is unspeakably rude.

I'm not entirely sure why I should be embarrassed about posts other people make, just because it's in the same forum where I make most of my posts.
   692. Mark S. is bored Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:42 PM (#4145947)
I didn't describe the Lounge as a place where people exclusively hang out and gossip about people behind their back. But it does happen. And not just today. I looked up my name, as well as the names of a few other people, and people are just being anonymously catty. I'm quite certain that it doesn't happen very often. That it happens at all should be embarrassing for you. It really is unspeakably rude.
Oh No! People are upset!!! Close the lounge.
   693. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:42 PM (#4145949)
Is this schtick?

No. The group has been discovered and called out for what they are. Own it.

694. PerroX Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:43 PM (#4145952)
If you follow me around, remember to tell Ethel not to look.
   695. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4145954)
>No. The group has been discovered and called out for what they are. Own it.

i'll send an apology on Lounge stationery. Are you like this in all the threads Mr. Bear?
   696. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4145957)
The group has been discovered and called out for what they are. Own it.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but I comfort myself with the realization that neither do you.
   697. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4145958)
Do you call people "bro" or "brah" in real life?
   698. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:45 PM (#4145959)

That it is, but OTOH if I ever found out that anyone down there ever cared enough to trash me, I think I might feel more flattered than offended. At least as long as they spelled "Jolly" without an "e".
   699. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:46 PM (#4145960)
I don't know. Ask the people who've participated in these threads and interacted with me under false pretenses.
   700. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:46 PM (#4145961)
This is getting ridiculous.

This is still about picking nits apparently. I mean we can reduce this down to how many people have blue eyes, red hair, are of Mexican descent and are loungers but that really isn't the point. Again, you have a group of hardcore loungers that dislike very much so a group of mainlanders. As I said before this shouldn't be in dispute.
Page 7 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.