Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Jim's Lab Notes > Discussion
Jim's Lab Notes
— Site News, Baseball Talk, and a Bunch of Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off-Topics, Politics, and the Redesign

FYI, in the redesign I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a new politics off-topic blog that I am setting up for the purpose. By default, members will not see these discussions in their Hot Topics until they opt-in to see them. In the interim I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a dedicated monthly thread (similar to the football, basketball, and soccer threads), which will be tagged as “politics”, marked as “OT:Politics” in the title, and which will include a disclaimer about the nature and tone of the discussion. I will also begin closing the off-topic political discussions in other threads.

In the redesign I also will be moving the sports-related off-topic threads to their own dedicated area. Like the off-topic political threads these threads will only appear in Hot Topics when members opt-in to see them. When this change takes place members will be able to submit news links to basketball, football, soccer, and golf (whichever sports that generate interest) articles, which will appear in their appropriate off-topic micro.

So, in the redesign people who wish to discuss these topics will be able to do so easily while people who wish to ignore such topics will be able to do so easily as well.

Donate to BaseballThinkFactory.org using PayPal.com

Jim Furtado Posted: May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | 1369 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 8 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›
   701. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:46 PM (#4145962)
I actually lik you well enough Andy. I have one of your posters in my bar.
   702. Baldrick Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4145963)
And this thread is now a living example of the thing that Jim is trying to fix. Well played everyone. Well played.

But seriously, though: game chatters please?
   703. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:47 PM (#4145964)
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I comfort myself with the realization that neither do you.

It's obvious what you've done. Andy sees it, tship sees it, and I see it. No need to run away from it.
   704. CrosbyBird Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:48 PM (#4145965)
You say that because you follow them and know their ebb and flow. In any given longthread there are two or three sub-conversations going on at a given time, and you know how to follow them. The Lounge has it's ebb and flow. The only thing is you don't know the syntax and you're not willing to learn it because you don't think you ought to have to. And because you don't want to have to live in a social network where you're not one of the alpha contributors with long term cred.

I'm pretty comfortable following the Lounge after a couple of pages in, but I think it's very different from a typical longthread in terms of the coherency of the conversation. There aren't nearly as many long posts, because in the time it takes to type a long post, the conversation is typically already three pages away. That's neither a feature nor a bug as far as I'm concerned, but it is different.

The only reason that I don't read the Lounge regularly is because of the format. It takes me much, much longer to read, and I'm actually pretty bummed about it because I know I would enjoy both reading and participating in the conversation. It's just too much of a fight with the interface to get at the content. It's sort of like pistachios. I'm a pretty big fan, but the shells are an incredible pain in the ass, and so I rarely buy them. There's enough other stuff that I really like to eat that doesn't make me work so much. Reading the Lounge regularly would be, for me, like going on a pistachio-only diet.

I actually like the people in the Lounge (as far as I remember them) and I would guess that to the degree that any of them think about me (rarely if ever) that it would be something on the order of neutral to mildly positive. I do not think that I would find it at all inhospitable.
   705. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:48 PM (#4145966)
I actually lik you well enough Andy. I have one of your posters in my bar.

Well, that changes everything. Which one?
   706. RJ in TO Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM (#4145967)
And not just today. I looked up my name, as well as the names of a few other people, and people are just being anonymously catty.

Searching the forums, your name comes up in six threads. Two are forumings of political threads, and have nothing to do with the Lounge. One is Dan venting over the reaction to his closing/foruming of one of those political threads. The other three date back to 2010, and include someone mentioning that someone else called them the anti-tshipman (whoever that is), someone mentioning a non-Lounger getting himself suspended by Dan for posting a thread called “who is the biggest douchenozzle in BTF?”, and someone saying that you seem like a nice enough guy, in reference to the basketball thread.

I can see why you would be horrified by this.
   707. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:49 PM (#4145968)
It is a Purdue Wisconsin one IIRC.
   708. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:50 PM (#4145970)
you have a group of hardcore loungers that dislike very much so a group of mainlanders

Even if so ... so what?
   709. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:50 PM (#4145971)
McCoy - some people who do not like the uber threads are certainly in the Lounge. No dispute from me. Some of them, many people in this thread who support the Jim, do not Lounge. The Jim does not Lounge. The Jim, btw, gets way more unfair crap in the Lounge by a few people than any mainlander.
   710. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4145972)
It's obvious what you've done. Andy sees it, tship sees it, and I see it. No need to run away from it.

I literally have no idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever. What are you talking about?
   711. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4145973)
Now do Ray and David. Well, that might be hard since you have a few nicknames for them.
   712. The District Attorney Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4145974)
Huh, gotta go search for "douchenozzle".

Again.
   713. RJ in TO Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:52 PM (#4145975)
I actually like the people in the Lounge (as far as I remember them) and I would guess that to the degree that any of them think about me (rarely if ever) that it would be something on the order of neutral to mildly positive. I do not think that I would find it at all inhospitable.

You would be welcome in the Lounge. You might find the forums more comfortable if you turn off avatars and signatures, and place Bernal on Ignore (as everyone should).
   714. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:53 PM (#4145976)
Crosby I had two false starts in the Lounge. In both cases I felt I had to read everything I missed. Once I let go and just dove in without the fear of asking a question someone else had or reviving a discusion long since dead I never left. You'd be a great regular.

Oh, the one mainlander who got the toughest #### in the Lounge was Sam H. And he dove in and joined us. That was great.
   715. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4145977)
I have never hid my dislike for Ray Ray and Davey anywhere. Ask anyone.
   716. DA Baracus Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4145980)
Again, speaking only for myself, do you honestly think that we really care whether you choose to ignore us? Do you care if we ignore you? Do you even care whether we know how to find the lounge? Come on, get real.

If the "longthreaders" didn't care this thread wouldn't be 8 pages long.
   717. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4145981)
Are you like this in all the threads Mr. Bear?

Actualy, yeah.
   718. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:54 PM (#4145982)
Seriously I am really not that bad. Most of the time.
   719. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:55 PM (#4145983)
I literally have no idea what you are talking about. None whatsoever. What are you talking about?

The behind the back b!tchy gossip about people who had no idea that even a place for such a thing existed, much less that the thing existed.

Real stand-up stuff. You must be very proud.
   720. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:56 PM (#4145985)
Panties. Bunch. You.
   721. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4145986)
It is a Purdue Wisconsin one IIRC.

Then it's this one or this one or this one or this one or this one.

Man, if I could ever figure out how to get all you good people to tout my college football blog, I'd rule the world.
   722. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4145987)
The behind the back b!tchy gossip about people who had no idea that even a place for such a thing existed, much less that the thing existed.

Real stand-up stuff. You must be very proud.

But ... I don't gossip about these people.
   723. McCoy Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:57 PM (#4145988)
Even if so ... so what?

Well, the so what was what I said in my initial post but got largely ignored as the conversation went off on who likes whom. There was talk about how we should head over to the lounge and partake in conversations. It was at that point that I said what I said that started all this. Thus the so what.
   724. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4145990)
Panties. Bunch. You.

Too late. I saw your behind-the-back stuff. I wouldn't have, if you hadn't alerted me to the Lounge.
   725. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4145991)
I'm pretty comfortable following the Lounge after a couple of pages in, but I think it's very different from a typical longthread in terms of the coherency of the conversation. There aren't nearly as many long posts, because in the time it takes to type a long post, the conversation is typically already three pages away. That's neither a feature nor a bug as far as I'm concerned, but it is different.

Lounges aren't about debating issues. They're about yabbing with a bunch of likeminded fools over a beer or three. Different roles. Different rules. Different syntax. Same idea of a group of people who want to talk about the same things talking about things.
   726. Zipperholes Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:58 PM (#4145992)
The only reason that I don't read the Lounge regularly is because of the format. It takes me much, much longer to read, and I'm actually pretty bummed about it because I know I would enjoy both reading and participating in the conversation. It's just too much of a fight with the interface to get at the content. It's sort of like pistachios. I'm a pretty big fan, but the shells are an incredible pain in the ass, and so I rarely buy them. There's enough other stuff that I really like to eat that doesn't make me work so much. Reading the Lounge regularly would be, for me, like going on a pistachio-only diet.
I found this amusing. It makes a lot of sense, too.
   727. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4145993)
Do you still sell posters Andy? I recall you saying you sold the store when you were making more money from the posters but I didn't know you were still selling them.
   728. tshipman Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4145994)
I can see why you would be horrified by this.

All posted by RJ in TO:

Yes, Repoz’ selection of articles doesn’t always help, but these dicks have always found a way to get their political arguments going even in the absence of a political article.

I’m not arguing that Repoz is blameless. But, just as you exercise restraint, these troublesome individuals need to learn to do the same, rather than just screaming “Repoz made us do it!”

Please say something. Perhaps it will spark the longthreaders into a discussion of something other than why Democrats/Republicans/Libertarians suck.

I'm not horrified. I think it's damn rude, and you should have been taught better.
   729. BWV 1129 Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4145995)
I saw your behind-the-back stuff. I wouldn't have, if you hadn't alerted me to the Lounge.

I wasn't gossiping about you. I was asking if you were saying anything I should read. After reading the things you've written, I realize the answer was "No."
   730. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 01, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4145996)
Oh, the one mainlander who got the toughest #### in the Lounge was Sam H. And he dove in and joined us. That was great

There were threats by old regulars to *quit the Lounge* if I stayed.

I'm awesome.
   731. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:00 AM (#4145997)
If you saw it how is it behind your back? Not like anyone tried to hide it. Not our fault you are too stupid to figure out where to find the lounge. Hint: it is linked on the front page.
   732. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:00 AM (#4145998)
There were threats by old regulars to *quit the Lounge* if I stayed.

Just the one, I thought.
   733. PerroX Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:00 AM (#4145999)
Hey, be like a good boy and name names.

I've always appreciated your sense of humor, Andy. The problem is that political talk has pushed out baseball talk on the main site. It's not that there's no place for it, or that it'll disappear. The idea is that by creating a separate space for it people can argue to their heart's content, as well as anyone who wants to join in, without impacting the brand and its primary focus on baseball and sabermetrics. Which is why almost all of us ventured here in the first place.

The Lounge is great because if I write on politics or breastfeeding or vampirism or whatever, or make mention of Snapper's apologia for the Church, nobody coming here in search of baseball will have to wade through that. Unless they explicitly seek it out.

As Sam pointed out, we should all be thankful to Jim and Szym for the hard work that has made this an attractive place for us all, and enables us to have these off-topic conversations for free.

Relax, everybody. A good night to all.
   734. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:01 AM (#4146001)
Again, speaking only for myself, do you honestly think that we really care whether you choose to ignore us? Do you care if we ignore you? Do you even care whether we know how to find the lounge? Come on, get real.

If the "longthreaders" didn't care this thread wouldn't be 8 pages long.

The only reason I've been sticking around is that I always enjoy a good catfight. But note that my comment was directed both ways.
   735. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:02 AM (#4146002)
If you saw it how is it behind your back?

I turned around.

You've been caught. And it's a truly pathetic sight. Deal.
   736. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:02 AM (#4146004)
SBB I called you an ####### in this very thread. How is that behind your back. You are ####### nuts. Seriously.
   737. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:02 AM (#4146005)
I regret not being around when you swung into town Awesome Sam. Are you coming back to frostlandia?
   738. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:03 AM (#4146006)
Well, the so what was what I said in my initial post but got largely ignored as the conversation went off who likes whom. There was talk about how we should head over to the lounge and partake in conversations. It was at that point that I said what I said that started all this. Thus the so what.

I don't even remember how this started. But I'll say that Bernal openly dislikes Nieporent, and Nieporent has been in a few times, and he has been welcome and made good posts. Fly openly dislikes Sam H., and has even claimed he'll leave The Lounge if Sam H. is welcomed, and we all love Fly's participation in The Lounge and welcomed Sam H. anyway.

Even if someone "comes over" who is disliked by some, he is welcomed, and if he likes it sticks around, and if he doesn't, doesn't. No hard feelings.
   739. Zipperholes Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:03 AM (#4146007)
Woah. I don't think people should be pasting forum posts on the main site.
   740. tshipman Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:04 AM (#4146009)
Or there's this lovely quote here:

scotto - 15 April 2010 06:21 PM
796.357(GGC) - 15 April 2010 06:11 PM
I wonder who the angriest Primates are? Not sure if Andy makes the cut. ‘zop comes to mind, but I’m not sure if his abrasiveness is a sign of anger or not.

‘zop, Sam Hutcheson, and snapper immediately come to mind, but the one who I most notice it is Joey B., for the way he types with equal parts swagger, bluster and sneer. RETARDO always struck me as angry; but I can’t say for sure because for the most part I tried to avoid his posts.

Swagger, Bluster and Sneer would be a good name for an LLP. I don’t think I could work for it though. Whinge, Cringe and Mewl would be more up my alley.

Joey B lives his entire life in a hate-filled rage. Even when he tries to be funny or happy it is to to someone’s disadvantage. He needs serious help from mental health professionals.

741. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:04 AM (#4146010)
SBB I called you an ####### in this very thread. How is that behind your back. You are ####### nuts. Seriously.

Nice try. When I have something to say, I have the stones to say it directly, and have for the six or more years I've been here.
   742. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:05 AM (#4146012)

Why not?
   743. tshipman Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:06 AM (#4146013)

I don't think people should talk rudely about other people behind their backs.

Again, from RJ in TO:

Sometimes I forget how illogical people on the main site can be.

After careful consideration, I’ve decided that snapper is an idiot.

What was the event that pushed you to deciding?

Never mind. I’m pretty sure I found it.
   744. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:06 AM (#4146014)
Yes you have already established you are cool. Are you wearing an Ed Hardy shirt right now? Brah?
   745. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:07 AM (#4146015)
I'm not horrified. I think it's damn rude, and you should have been taught better.

1) I'm sure you missed a few.
2) Over the years, I have said the same things on the Mainland, to the individuals involved, in multiple threads. My opinions on these things are not hidden away only in the Lounge.
3) In quite a few cases, I've also contacted the individuals by email to discuss these things further.
   746. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:08 AM (#4146016)
... or we could make this entirely a Lounge vs. Mainland issue, I guess.
   747. PerroX Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:08 AM (#4146017)
Reading the Lounge regularly would be, for me, like going on a pistachio-only diet.

Jesus, don't let Davo see this.
   748. Zipperholes Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4146018)
Why not?
Because the main site is public; the forums are not. I mean, if the original poster has no problem then I don't; I'm just saying it might not be a good idea.
   749. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4146020)
Incidentally, tshipman, you're welcome to email me too, if you'd like.
   750. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:09 AM (#4146021)
Let me just go on record as saying that just because X knows Y doesn't like them and that occasionaly Y will let X know that doesn't mean talking trash about them behind their back isn't douchey.

I'm not saying it is a big deal but I am saying that it really is silly to try and justify what does sometimes go on in the lounge by saying X knows Y doesn't like him.

I've had people in the lounge talk trash on me and I don't really care. I think only called Bernal on it once. I don't remember exactly why I did. I think I did because he threatened violence on me or something like that otherwise I just chuckle and what can sometime come off as absolute cluelessness of the person who is trashing me.
   751. Gaelan Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:10 AM (#4146022)
I'm a big fan of "RJ" and "Tim." I even know their real names. However, if the lounge is anything like the last 200 posts or so (and in my experience it is) then I hate the lounge.

I come to BTF for coherent discourse. I get that not everyone is interested in the same things that I'm interested in. I don't understand how my posts, or anyone elses for that matter, could do damage to this site in the least. That people are complaining says a lot about the moral character of the people that are complaining. It is quite ironic really. Not that I expect them to understand.

Finally, Bernal is as unpleasant a person as I've "met" here.
   752. PerroX Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:11 AM (#4146024)
I don't think people should talk rudely about other people behind their backs.

Is that you, Jimmo?

753. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4146027)
Because the main site is public; the forums are not. I mean, if the original poster has no problem then I don't; I'm just saying it might not be a good idea.

That's a weird stance to take about people insulting people.
   754. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4146028)
Please point out the post where I threatened violence. Thanks!
   755. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:12 AM (#4146030)
However, if the lounge is anything like the last 200 posts or so (and in my experience it is) then I hate the lounge.

The Lounge is not much like the last 200 posts but, based on our communications over the last several years, and your style of posting here, I do strongly suspect that you would hate the Lounge.
   756. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:13 AM (#4146031)
Do you still sell posters Andy? I recall you saying you sold the store when you were making more money from the posters but I didn't know you were still selling them.

Right here, the only difference is that now they come in 14 different sizes and formats, whereas in my shop it was one size fits all.

---------------------------------------------------

Hey, be like a good boy and name names.

I've always appreciated your sense of humor, Andy. The problem is that political talk has pushed out baseball talk on the main site. It's not that there's no place for it, or that it'll disappear. The idea is that by creating a separate space for it people can argue to their heart's content, as well as anyone who wants to join in, without impacting the brand and its primary focus on baseball and sabermetrics. Which is why almost all of us ventured here in the first place.

I first got into Clutch Hits back in 1999 when I read some pidgin sabermetrician** trash my favorite writer, Leonard Koppett. I fought back with bared crowns and it was fun. What I've always liked about BTF is the variety of topics and the variety of POVs and posting styles, which range from duelling spreadsheets to spot on snark and everything in between both good and bad. I honestly can't see why anyone would object all that much to the current format, but after reading Jim's explanations of the changes (which at times have been a bit opaque), I'm not exactly adopting the Chicken Little attitude.

**The operative word there is "pidgin", as no real sabermetrician would ever do that.
   757. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:14 AM (#4146032)
Please point out the post where I threatened violence. Thanks!

I don't think I have anyway of finding it if in fact that was what happened.
   758. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:14 AM (#4146035)

Meh. If I said it about another poster, it's what I said. It's fair game, as it's on this site.
   759. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:14 AM (#4146036)
Gaelan my friend you would hate the Lounge. Stay away. I know that enough about you. I mean you are welcome but you would ot like it.. And I lthank-you for the kind words and like you too. Also I still don't fully understand the rules to your awesome now-dead DMB league but it proved you are either insane, a genius, or both.
   760. Zipperholes Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:15 AM (#4146037)
That's a weird stance to take about people insulting people.
It has nothing to do with insulting people. It has to do with the fact that Jim and Dan designed the site such that access to the forums requires registration, and therefore their contents shouldn't be available to the internet at large.
   761. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:16 AM (#4146040)
The thing with Bernal is you just have to learn not to take anything he posts seriously. He's trying to take the piss out of something with every letter he types. He's pranking. If you want to consider it trolling, go ahead, but I think there's a distinction.

I give Bernal a ton of #### over everything, and occasionally it's not even a joke, but he's a well-meaning sort who thinks the world of his wife and kids and devotes himself to trying to make their lives better, and has, as hard as this is to believe, shown some genuine kindness to others here from time to time.

You don't have to like his humor or anything, and I know that plenty of people ignore him (some because they know if he says anything notable I'll probably quote it in the process of calling him an idiot), but I don't think it's fair to criticize him as a person because you don't like his posting style. Just one man's opinion.
   762. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:16 AM (#4146041)
Let me just go on record as saying that just because X knows Y doesn't like them and that occasionaly Y will let X know that doesn't mean talking trash about them behind their back isn't douchey.

Seconded. Obviously.

It's positively comical that the "problem" with the site is seen as the political threads, and not the gossip sewing circle people retreated to after speaking under false pretenses with others on the mainland. With all the mainland thread shutdowns, how were those Lounge threads not shut down when they devolved into personal attacks on non-participants? How did that happen?
   763. Gaelan Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:16 AM (#4146042)
Gaelan my friend you would hate the Lounge. Stay away. I know that enough about you. I mean you are welcome but you would ot like it.. And I lthank-you for the kind words and like you too. Also I still don't fully understand the rules to your awesome now-dead DMB league but it proved you are either insane, a genius, or both.

One of these years I'll make it back to southern Ontario with some time and then we should have a beer.
   764. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:17 AM (#4146044)
I am not going to take any long hot showers with you now.
   765. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:17 AM (#4146045)
One of these years I'll make it back to southern Ontario with some time and then we should have a beer.

Be sure to give advance warning of your arrival. There's a good number of people out here who would enjoy meeting you in person.
   766. Morty Causa Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:18 AM (#4146047)
That's not an accurate, or fair, description of the lounge. There was some of that today, but it was in direct response to this thread (as this thread is doing that exact thing about the lounge).

There is talking behind people's back, and sometimes it's not about what they write. I just searched my moniker and was surprised. I didn't know I was lounge-worthy. I'll have to monitor that, even if I don't play on the lounge. There is something about overhearing people talking about you...

767. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:18 AM (#4146048)
Please, the correct term is "flapping Marys". Use it in the future when describing the lounge. Thanks!
   768. PerroX Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:18 AM (#4146049)
Probably the biggest reason I moved to the lounge is the self-seriousness and lack of humor that makes these discussions no fun at all.

Yeah, people talk about other people. So what? You don't think your wives and girlfriends talk about your inadequacies with each other? Who cares if an anonymous lounger doesn't like you?

Get over it.
   769. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:18 AM (#4146050)
Meh. If I said it about another poster, it's what I said. It's fair game, as it's on this site.

Nah. You knew people weren't there defending themselves -- that's probably why you felt free to say those things -- and you carried on anyway.

And now it's been smoked out. Own it.
   770. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:19 AM (#4146051)
It has nothing to do with insulting people. It has to do with the fact that Jim and Dan designed the site such that access to the forums requires registration, and therefore their contents shouldn't be available to the internet at large.

Um, access to BTF requires registration. That is not a blocker to the rest of the world.
   771. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:19 AM (#4146052)
> One of these years I'll make it back to southern Ontario with some time and then we should have a beer.

That would be awesome
   772. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:20 AM (#4146053)
With all the mainland thread shutdowns, how were those Lounge threads not shut down when they devolved into personal attacks on non-participants? How did that happen?

Maybe if a Lounge ever comes close to that, we'll find out. I mean, you might as well complain about why a Lounge was never shut down because it beheaded a bald eagle.
   773. Gaelan Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:20 AM (#4146054)
Be sure to give advance warning of your arrival. There's a good number of people out here who would enjoy meeting you in person.

I get back to Ontario every couple of years to visit family. But that's with the kids in tow etc. There's bound to be a conference in the area that I want to attend eventually, however.
   774. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:20 AM (#4146055)
One can read the main site without being a registered member of the site. The same is not true of the lounge.
   775. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:21 AM (#4146056)
‘zop, Sam Hutcheson, and snapper immediately come to mind, but the one who I most notice it is Joey B., for the way he types with equal parts swagger, bluster and sneer. RETARDO always struck me as angry; but I can’t say for sure because for the most part I tried to avoid his posts.

RETARDO??!!! Retardo was Sam before Sam was Sam. One of the funniest guys who ever worked this site. His over-the-top flame wars with "Neosporin" (in which both sides gave as good as they got) were classics in the annals of BTF. David's been in many a flamewar in his time, but that one was the real deal. It was like a duet rendition of Parker's Fortissimo Crescendo Eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.
   776. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:21 AM (#4146057)
> And now it's been smoked out. Own it.

Isn't that what RJ did?
   777. Zipperholes Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:21 AM (#4146058)
Um, access to BTF requires registration. That is not a blocker to the rest of the world.
Posts on the mainland are readable by anyone in the world. Posts in the forums are not. ...Actually, is this thread public? Not sure, -- I could be wrong here.
   778. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:22 AM (#4146059)
The thing with Bernal is you just have to learn not to take anything he posts seriously. He's trying to take the piss out of something with every letter he types. He's pranking. If you want to consider it trolling, go ahead, but I think there's a distinction.

So he's the Joey B of the lounge?
   779. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:23 AM (#4146061)
Lounges are not shut down because Jim doesn't give a flying #### what happens in there as it doesn't effect the rest of the site. So we can pretty much do whatever we want. That is the whole point of me suggesting you people use the Politics forum in the forums. Jim woe let you ramble on for 10000 posts and leave you alone. You people are obtuse
   780. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:24 AM (#4146062)

Sure it is a blocker. What you think our loved ones would ever sign in to see what we say about them? Inconceivable.
   781. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:24 AM (#4146063)
Lounges are not shut down because Jim doesn't give a flying #### what happens in there as it doesn't effect the rest of the site. So we can pretty much do whatever we want.

Well, except for that one time. Which you of all people should know.
   782. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:24 AM (#4146064)
Isn't that what RJ did?

Yep. I wrote what I wrote. It may have been wrong, or done out of annoyance or anger, but I'm not going to pretend I didn't write it.
   783. Morty Causa Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4146065)
I give Bernal a ton of #### over everything, and occasionally it's not even a joke, but he's a well-meaning sort who thinks the world of his wife and kids and devotes himself to trying to make their lives better, and has, as hard as this is to believe, shown some genuine kindness to others here from time to time.

I think that can be said about almost all the "longthreaders", too.
   784. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:25 AM (#4146066)
"Own it" must mean something else to the youth of today.
   785. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:27 AM (#4146067)

So he's the Joey B of the lounge?

There's a big difference between occasionally failed humor and unintended self-parody, and Joey's humor has never been anything but unintentional.
   786. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:27 AM (#4146068)
I think it is a Jim Rome thing.
   787. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:28 AM (#4146069)
I think that can be said about almost all the "longthreaders", too.

I'm sure it can. I don't know who they are.
   788. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:28 AM (#4146070)
I am going to start saying that at work in completely out of context situations and see how long it takes for someone to call me out. "Own it!"
   789. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:29 AM (#4146071)
So, wait. Is the Lounge "behind people's backs" or just another part of the site that anyone who can comment can view?
   790. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:32 AM (#4146073)
By the way I think I have an awesome Lounge avatar.
   791. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:32 AM (#4146074)
Tell me it is not called Lemon Party
   792. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:33 AM (#4146075)
Is the Lounge "behind people's backs" or just another part of the site that anyone who can comment can view?

You don't get it. The problem with The Lounge is that conversation is too disparate, and that all we do is sit around complaining about people on The Mainland that 90% of us have never heard of and have no opinion on.
   793. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:33 AM (#4146076)
By the way I think I have an awesome Lounge avatar.

You have a good Lounge avatar. You have a great profile photo.
   794. tshipman Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:35 AM (#4146078)
So, wait. Is the Lounge "behind people's backs" or just another part of the site that anyone who can comment can view?

If you make a comment on a part of the site that you know the people you're talking about don't go to, then yes, it is behind their backs. If, for some random-ass reason, people were to talk a bunch of trash about other posters on the NBA thread, for instance, then that would also qualify as behind their backs, even though it's indexed in google and available on the main site. This is pretty common sense.

In any case, the whole discussion about the Lounge is a giant red herring, and I'm sorry for responding as I did, as it certainly has not improved the quality of this thread. I apologize to Jim.
   795. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:36 AM (#4146079)
Yes meatwad I believe you own that. As Is my limited understanding of owning and its associated activities.
   796. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:36 AM (#4146081)
Hey meat.
   797. Spivey Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:40 AM (#4146083)
There are a lot of ignored posts on this page for me. And yes, I called snapper an idiot. Because he is an idiot.
   798. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4146087)
In summary, #### BILLY BEANE TROUT AND GUY FRIERI FOR POPE.
   799. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4146088)
If you make a comment on a part of the site that you know the people you're talking about don't go to, then yes, it is behind their backs. If, for some random-ass reason, people were to talk a bunch of trash about other posters on the NBA thread, for instance, then that would also qualify as behind their backs, even though it's indexed in google and available on the main site. This is pretty common sense.

I know Murray Chass doesn't go to a single square inch of this site. Should we all own what we've said about him over the years?
   800. bads85 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:44 AM (#4146090)
Maybe if a Lounge ever comes close to that, we'll find out. I mean, you might as well complain about why a Lounge was never shut down because it beheaded a bald eagle.

####, there goes Tuesday's surprise.
Page 8 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Ray (RDP)
for his generous support.