Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Jim's Lab Notes > Discussion
Jim's Lab Notes
— Site News, Baseball Talk, and a Bunch of Other Stuff

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Off-Topics, Politics, and the Redesign

FYI, in the redesign I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a new politics off-topic blog that I am setting up for the purpose. By default, members will not see these discussions in their Hot Topics until they opt-in to see them. In the interim I will restrict off-topic political discussions to a dedicated monthly thread (similar to the football, basketball, and soccer threads), which will be tagged as “politics”, marked as “OT:Politics” in the title, and which will include a disclaimer about the nature and tone of the discussion. I will also begin closing the off-topic political discussions in other threads.

In the redesign I also will be moving the sports-related off-topic threads to their own dedicated area. Like the off-topic political threads these threads will only appear in Hot Topics when members opt-in to see them. When this change takes place members will be able to submit news links to basketball, football, soccer, and golf (whichever sports that generate interest) articles, which will appear in their appropriate off-topic micro.

So, in the redesign people who wish to discuss these topics will be able to do so easily while people who wish to ignore such topics will be able to do so easily as well.

Donate to BaseballThinkFactory.org using PayPal.com

Jim Furtado Posted: May 30, 2012 at 12:44 PM | 1369 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Related News:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 9 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > 
   801. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:45 AM (#4146093)

If you make a comment on a part of the site that you know the people you're talking about don't go to, then yes, it is behind their backs. If, for some random-ass reason, people were to talk a bunch of trash about other posters on the NBA thread, for instance, then that would also qualify as behind their backs, even though it's indexed in google and available on the main site. This is pretty common sense.

For me I think the behind the back thing is mostly about people making comments about people that are not involved in the conversation. It doesn't matter where it happens if you simply pop off with X is an idiot in a Chuck Knoblauch thread and X isn't in the thread you are being a bit douchey for doing that. Hell, Andy has done it to me on the mainland a couple of times.
   802.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:46 AM (#4146094)

I literally did not know of the existence of the Lounge until today and had no idea there was a Lounge/Mainlander rivalry.

There isn't one. I post here as much as I want. I post in the Lounge as much as I want. I like it here. I like the Lounge. There is no mutual exclusion of any kind. You're a ####; I will say that here instead of in the lounge if it makes you more comfortable.
   803. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:46 AM (#4146095)
I think that can be said about almost all the "longthreaders", too.

I don't think the world of Bernal's wife and kids. For the record.
   804. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:46 AM (#4146096)
Look at JLAC's posts from yesterday's lounge where he declare that we should all be banned.

McCoy, I said if I had to run the place I'd have banned (well, simply disinvited; a ban seems ungentlemanly) you and all the other Little Mischief Makers in the Mud Puddle Gang. And I would. I don't run the place; I've told Dan before, and probably Jim, that they have the patience of ten saints to tolerate you and they're crazy to do so. There it lies!

I have solved the problem by basically never coming around this part of the site.
   805. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:47 AM (#4146097)
So, wait. Is the Lounge "behind people's backs" or just another part of the site that anyone who can comment can view?

The Lounge is only "behind the back" of people who are paranoid delusional nits.
   806. Rickey! trades in sheep and threats Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:49 AM (#4146098)
There isn't one. I post here as much as I want.

I've spent the last six years attempting to bring the Lounginistas and the Longthreaders together in a shared loathing of me, but now all of my work, dust in the wind! I'm going to bed.
   807. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:50 AM (#4146100)
I need a ruling on whether or not JLAC is in fact "owning it" right now
   808. bads85 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:52 AM (#4146101)
. There is something about overhearing people talking about you...

Only if an adult suffers from emotional retardation or emotional insecurities.
   809. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 02, 2012 at 12:55 AM (#4146102)
It isn't really anything different from what I said in post 247. But at any rate, STF please don't confuse what I was saying here for "owning" anything; that tends to make me start quoting Hegel on property and what it means to possess and the subject-object relationship. And we don't want to start a political discussion.
   810. Morty Causa Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:01 AM (#4146103)
There are a lot of ignored posts on this page for me.

That's okay, bud, we'll find you. You can run but you can't hide.

I know Murray Chass doesn't go to a single square inch of this site. Should we all own what we've said about him over the years?

Murray is a public figure. He writes to be noticed and talked about, even promiscuously.

What is revelatory, I think, is that all these many years you had one group, the Longthreaders, who hardly knew of the existence of another group, the Loungistas. The longthreaders never talked about what was going on at the Lounge or about what the Loungistas were saying there. But those Loungistas, while not deigning to participate in the conversations on the Longthreads, monitored and passed indiscriminate judgment on the posts and the posters there, even in terms of making very personal comments, all with the knowing air of a Greek Chorus. Hmmm, that bears some consideration.
   811. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:02 AM (#4146104)
I don't understand any of that JLAC but Gaelan may be back later and he can parse it for me.
   812. odds are meatwad is drunk Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:04 AM (#4146106)
morty to say that the old timers here didnt know about the lounge is a lie. Is was a big deal in the last site change everyone knew it was there and that the forums were for the long repetative discussions. Hell jim posted about it at the time
   813. JLAC is engulfed in a harmless burst of flame Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:07 AM (#4146110)
Another veteran panelist from America's Least Favorite Gameshow! Morty, good of you to drop in. Son, I used to post in those threads myself before I was washed clean in the blood of the Lounge. Also before I ever remember you around here. Others of us are similar. I know whereof I speak.
   814. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:09 AM (#4146111)
How the hell did Bads and Shock join us this year when the Lounge was a secret to everyone else?
   815. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:09 AM (#4146112)
STF please don't confuse what I was saying here for "owning" anything; that tends to make me start quoting Hegel on property and what it means to possess and the subject-object relationship. And we don't want to start a political discussion.

Just cut straight to the chase: Master-Slave dialectic.
   816.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:09 AM (#4146113)
What is revelatory, I think, is that all these many years you had one group, the Longthreaders, who hardly knew of the existence of another group, the Loungistas. The longthreaders never talked about what was going on at the Lounge or about what the Loungistas were saying there. But those Loungistas, while not deigning to participate in the conversations on the Longthreads, monitored and passed indiscriminate judgment on the posts and the posters there, even in terms of making very personal comments, all with the knowing air of a Greek Chorus. Hmmm, that bears some consideration.

This is over stating things by several orders of magnitude.
   817. bads85 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:11 AM (#4146114)
The Lounge is only "behind the back" of people who are paranoid delusional nits.

With vastly inflated senses of worth. My god, this is fifth grade behavior "Mrs. Dodderidge, Johnny was on the football field and said something about my mom while Susie and I were talking about mean boys while jump roping."
   818. PreservedFish Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:12 AM (#4146115)
After searching for my own name in the lounge (where I've actually posted a handful of times) I've learned that Harveys Wallbangers loathes me. Three mentions of my terribleness, all out of the blue. I never would have expected to have any such reputation - I must have insulted him at some point.
   819. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:12 AM (#4146116)
I mean, in a set of forums on a website that gets, oh, 2000 posts a day, every day (okay, we'll halve that for weekends), you chaps have managed to find DOZENS of posts talking about the website where the forums are.

I'm utterly at a loss as to what this is supposed to signify.
   820. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:16 AM (#4146118)
Harveys bark is worse than his bite. He has only ever insulted me in the lounge. He's awesome.
   821. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:16 AM (#4146119)
And I mean, this all utterly misses the point. The entire point of the Lounge, and in fact the Forums in general, is to keep large swaths of non-baseball conversation out of the baseball threads. The effort has had some successes (the "Lounginista") and some failures (the "Longthreaders"). This isn't because the Loungers have kept the Longthreaders out of the Forums, but (at least, from what is being claimed) because the "Longthreaders" dislike the Forum interface. So now Jim is trying to accomodate the Longthreaders by allowing them to continue their off-topic discussions outside of the baseball threads but without requiring them to use the Forum interface they dislike.

I mean, I just don't understand what all the sturm und drang is about here.
   822. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:16 AM (#4146120)
After searching for my own name in the lounge (where I've actually posted a handful of times) I've learned that Harveys Wallbangers loathes me. Three mentions of my terribleness, all out of the blue. I never would have expected to have any such reputation - I must have insulted him at some point.

He must not think you're all bad, as your property isn't under water.
   823. rr Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:21 AM (#4146122)
I've told Dan before

If the TOS were actually enforced, Szymborski would have been looking at warnings/suspensions on multiple occasions--based on his behavior on worldview threads.

If Mr. Furtado thinks the worldview threads are bad for business and therefore wants them off his main site, that is of course his prerogative; and if he wants them off his main site just because he would like it better that way, that is also of course his prerogative.

But the offending threads shouldn't really be an issue to guys who post in the Lounge all the time, and the people posting in them are't a bunch of nutters trying to crowd out baseball.
   824. Downtown Bookie Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:23 AM (#4146123)
After searching for my own name in the lounge (where I've actually posted a handful of times) I've learned...

that no one is talking about me.

No one.

At all.

<sniff>

DB

825. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:23 AM (#4146124)
morty to say that the old timers here didnt know about the lounge is a lie. Is was a big deal in the last site change everyone knew it was there and that the forums were for the long repetative discussions. Hell jim posted about it at the time

Morty wasn't claiming that people didn't know we had forums. What he claimed was that the longthreaders didn't really know what was going on in the lounge or what the lounge was about. In that they didn't know a bunch loungers really loathed the longthreaders and had no problem voicing it in the lounge.
   826. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:27 AM (#4146125)
I mean, I just don't understand what all the sturm und drang is about here.

You do realize that that most of these posts have largely nothing to do with Furtado's moving of OT thread and are simply us bvtching at each other, don't you?
   827. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:28 AM (#4146126)
Some of you people take this place way the #### too seriously.
   828. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:33 AM (#4146130)
that no one is talking about me.

No one.

At all.

<sniff>

DB

To make you feel better, we've started talking about you now.
   829. bads85 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:33 AM (#4146131)
But those Loungistas, while not deigning to participate in the conversations on the Longthreads, monitored and passed indiscriminate judgment on the posts and the posters there, even in terms of making very personal comments, all with the knowing air of a Greek Chorus. Hmmm, that bears some consideration.

Look, you are one of my favorite posters, but quit flattering yourself with miniscule sample sizes. The Lounge is usually over 20 pages a day (often 30+), and someone's search came up with few disparaging posts -- blow me down, said Popeye. The Lounge has more important, and (most importantly) more nonsensical things to discuss than that happens on the Mainland.
   830. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:35 AM (#4146132)
Y'all should know that I talk about each and every one of you behind your backs. Every single day. And I don't say nice things, either.
   831. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:36 AM (#4146133)
Y'all should know that I talk about each and every one of you behind your backs. Every single day. And I don't say nice things, either.

It's hamster this and elderberry that. Brutal stuff.
   832. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:38 AM (#4146134)
It's hamster this and elderberry that. Brutal stuff.

I fart in everyone's general direction.
   833. bads85 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:39 AM (#4146135)
How the hell did Bads and Shock join us this year when the Lounge was a secret to everyone else?

I don't know about Shock (or Moseby), but Dial and Harold are to blame for me posting in the Lounge.
   834. PreservedFish Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:52 AM (#4146137)
I don't have a problem with loungers insulting longthreaders. Why would material on the main site be off limits? I suppose it's a bit rude, but this is the internet, grow up.
   835. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:53 AM (#4146138)
I just want to get this straight. There is nothing wrong about talking crap behind people's back but calling them on it is childish. Is that correct?
   836. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:55 AM (#4146139)
I suppose it's a bit rude, but this is the internet, grow up.

I think most people have the opinion that it is rude. I mean it is, right? Do the loungers deny that? All the hand-wringing by the loungers is just a defense mechanism on their part.
   837.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:55 AM (#4146140)
There is no "behind the back," it's all out in the open.

Whining that other people are saying mean things about you is exceptionally childish, yes. Perhaps the prime example of puerility.

If I went to Toronto and had drinks with Ryan Jones and happened to mention to him that by the way, I think so-and-so is a bit of a ####; is that "shockingly" out of line? It's rude yes, but it's what people do. And that really WOULD be behind the back, as opposed to the Lounge which is hysterically open and fully auditable.
   838. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 01:57 AM (#4146142)
I just want to get this straight. There is nothing wrong about talking crap behind people's back but calling them on it is childish. Is that correct?

Who the #### past the age of 16 is worried about random people "talking crap" about them behind their back? I mean, do you still get pissed off if you aren't invited to the cool table at lunch? More importantly, who gives a good ####### about what some says about them on an obscure website? Are you kidding me?
   839. Morty Causa Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:01 AM (#4146144)
Comrades, comrades, it's like realizing another world beckons, a Lovecraftian other supra-dimension, if you like, while, unbeknowst to you, their hotly breath their yearnings to the nether world catspaw commissar overload Jim. It's just very very interesting, that's all, that people who insist they're too good to take part in Longthreads, being above all that blood and #### and accursed posturing, are nevertheless obsessed with following and continually commenting on that and those which they contemn, some of which comments seems to amount to defamation.
   840. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:03 AM (#4146145)
It's rude yes,

So if you know it is rude then how come you don't seem to understand how some people might not like it?

More importantly, who gives a good ####### about what some says about them on an obscure website?

Well, apparently you guys do. You guys have been bvtching about what we've said for years.
   841. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:05 AM (#4146146)
Comrades, comrades, it's like realizing another world beckons, a Lovecraftian other supra-dimension, if you like, while, unbeknowst to you, their hotly breath their yearnings to the nether world catspaw commissar overload Jim.

...actually, I'm pretty sure that Jim doesn't pay attention to 99.99999999999999% of what the Loungers say.
   842. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:06 AM (#4146148)
Well, apparently you guys do. You guys have been bvtching about what we've said for years.

I reject your statement, I am a member of no group or clique. I am outside them and above them. I judge you all, individually and en masse, and find you wanting at every level.
   843. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:12 AM (#4146149)
I reject your statement

Okay fine, let me rephrase. Well, apparently insert your name here does. Insert your name here has been bvtching about what we've said for years.

edit: Apparently the underline function doesn't work.
   844. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:13 AM (#4146150)
Okay fine, let me rephrase. Well, apparently insert your name here does. Insert your name here has been bvtching about what we've said for years.

I don't know that guy. Maybe he has a different handle these days?
   845. RJ in TO Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:16 AM (#4146151)
I don't know that guy. Maybe he has a different handle these days?

Haven't you been paying attention? It's RJ in TO.
   846.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:17 AM (#4146152)
nevertheless obsessed with following and continually commenting on that and those which they contemn, some of which comments seems to amount to defamation.

Once again, Morty, you are inflating things by several orders of magnitude. Prior to today's back-and-forth posts in the Lounge that even say anything about anything related to the mainland are in the .01 percentile.

So if you know it is rude then how come you don't seem to understand how some people might not like it?

Good times with misquoting! That was speaking to, again, ACTUAL behind-the-back talk. Not talking about someone in a forum that is EASILY READ by said person. I said that TWICE in my post; you either didn't read it or are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I find both to be irritating. Jack McCoy you are not.
   847. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:17 AM (#4146153)
Haven't you been paying attention? It's RJ in TO.

Oh, him? Yeah, he's a huge #######.
   848. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:20 AM (#4146154)
That was speaking to, again, ACTUAL behind-the-back talk. Not talking about someone in a forum that is EASILY READ by said person.

So it isn't rude to call someone an #######? Look, no matter how you slice it what was said was rude. Plain and simple. Then after getting called out on it the way of few of you have acted is simply doubling down on the rude aspect of your behavior.

Where is Sugarbear to yell at you guys and tell you to "Own it"?
   849. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:22 AM (#4146156)
Just so I'm clear, you, McCoy, are complaining about posters being rude. Do I have that right?
   850.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:22 AM (#4146157)
Some people deserve rudeness.
   851. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:25 AM (#4146158)
said that TWICE in my post; you either didn't read it or are deliberately misrepresenting what I said. I find both to be irritating. Jack McCoy you are not.

Your defense of your statement is just quibbling about semantics. You understand that saying to person X in some geographic spot (perhaps a different zip code?) that Y is a douchenozzle is rude but you can't seem to understand or accept that having person X say that in a forum that Y never visits is also rude. That's a really fine haired argument you got going there.
   852. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:26 AM (#4146159)
Just so I'm clear, you, McCoy, are complaining about posters being rude. Do I have that right?

Complaining? No. Commenting on? Yes.

But I have a feeling this is supposed to be some sort of comment about me and rudeness so I will say I've almost never ever personally insulted someone on this site. The only person I can recall doing that to was to Bernal. You may not like my style of posting or my opinion but I don't descend to you folk's level of attacks.
   853. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:30 AM (#4146161)
But I have a feeling this is supposed to be some sort of comment about me and rudeness so I will say I've almost never ever personally insulted someone on this site.

You have a feeling, do you?

What, never?
No, never!
What, never??
Well, hardly ever...
   854. Downtown Bookie Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:30 AM (#4146162)
To make you feel better, we've started talking about you now.

Thank you! That made my day.

Well, that and the whole Johan Santana/First Ever New York Mets No-Hitter thingy.

But you know what I mean.

8-)

DB
   855. Zipperholes Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:32 AM (#4146163)
There's kind of an unwritten rule in the Lounge that people don't paste mainland content. The idea is, if you want to read it, go read it yourself. Yeah, some people generally complain about the longthreads. The extent of it is almost always something like "oh, that Luke Scott thread is a disaster." Yes, once in a great while someone will mention someone who is trolling specifically.

Put it this way: I can think of a few mainland posters who have been ridiculed in the Lounge. But the reason I remember them is largely because I've interacted with them on the mainland, and they have the same reputation here, so I remember it. But if you took a person off the street who'd never read the mainland, had them read the Lounge every day, and then asked them what opinions have been expressed about given posters, there's no way they'd have any recollection of any names. That's how infrequent it is. I'd bet any given major-studio movie, or IPA beer, or 1-A college football team is mentioned more than any given "longthreader." It's like, one of the million topics discussed.
   856. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:32 AM (#4146164)
Oh.

My.

Stars.

And.

Garters.

Instead of focusing on how we are different, let's focus on how we're all alike -- all of us talk waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much on a baseball website and surprisingly little of it is ever about baseball. Now can we please just all go out for snow cones or something and just move on with our lives?
   857. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:37 AM (#4146166)
I'd bet any given major-studio movie, or IPA beer, or 1-A college football team is mentioned more than any given "longthreader." It's like, one of the million topics discussed.

But so what? It doesn't negate that it happened. Nobody is claiming that you guys talking about posters is all you do in the lounge.

What was said was that longthreaders don't really or hadn't ever given a fig about the lounge while it appears that the loungers have given a fig about the longthreaders and that the loungers have been rude about it. You loungers then came into this thread to say that the people who noted this were acting childish despite the fact that they pointed this out in a childish manner and their actions that started all of this were childish as well.
   858. McCoy Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:38 AM (#4146167)
You have a feeling, do you?

What, never?
No, never!
What, never??
Well, hardly ever...

Is there an example you'd like to share?
   859. greenback calls it soccer Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:41 AM (#4146168)
Has anybody mentioned the Judean People's Front yet?
   860. Johnny Chimpo Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:44 AM (#4146169)
Is there an example you'd like to share?

Nope. You win, chief. I'm for bed.
   861.     Hey Gurl Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:45 AM (#4146170)
I think [858] demonstrates the profound absurdity of all of this to a sufficient level that we can put this discussion to bed.
   862. Zipperholes Posted: June 02, 2012 at 02:56 AM (#4146172)

But so what? It doesn't negate that it happened. Nobody is claiming that you guys talking about posters is all you do in the lounge.

What was said was that longthreaders don't really or hadn't ever given a fig about the lounge while it appears that the loungers have given a fig about the loungthreaders and that the loungers have been rude about it. You loungers then came into this thread to say that the people who noted this were acting childish despite the fact they pointed this out in a childish manner and their actions that started all of this were childish as well.
Then to answer, yes, apparently some Loungers do care about the longthreaders, as evidenced by the fact that some talk about it. I'm not condoning or criticizing anyone's behavior. I'm just trying to dispel the idea-- if there is one-- that it's like some big thing in the Lounge.
   863. BWV 1129 Posted: June 02, 2012 at 05:14 AM (#4146183)
it appears that the loungers have given a fig about the longthreaders and that the loungers have been rude about it.

Please stop lumping us all together. We are not all the same person.

Beyond that, I'd like to say that nothing good has come from this thread or my participation in it. Apologies to all and good day.
   864. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 02, 2012 at 05:45 AM (#4146185)
As much as I hate it when this happens, I agree with Blackhawk (BWV). The Lounge is not some monolithic anti-Mainland splinter group. We constantly disagree with each other. There is no Lounge consensus about longthreaders any more than there's a Lounge consensus about Cupertino weather, the proper measurement of defensive statistics, or (to bring things full circle) proposed changes to the site. Each Lounger only speaks for him or herself.

And as mentioned, only a tiny fraction of Lounge conversation is about the Mainland. For every post complaining about a particular Mainlander there are 200 that don't give a #### about that poster and another 200 that aren't about the Mainland at all.
   865. PerroX Posted: June 02, 2012 at 05:58 AM (#4146187)
So it isn't rude to call someone an #######? Look, no matter how you slice it what was said was rude. Plain and simple. Then after getting called out on it the way of few of you have acted is simply doubling down on the rude aspect of your behavior.

Where is Sugarbear to yell at you guys and tell you to "Own it"?

You've said nothing particularly bad on this thread, but it's exactly the type of behavior that gets you and others dismissed as cranks in the lounge -- on and on and on about nothing at all, childishly.

We often do the same in the lounge, except we don't take ourselves so seriously. Being 'out of site' is an element of that.

That's all. Have a good weekend.

866. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 07:02 AM (#4146194)
It isn't really anything different from what I said in post 247. But at any rate, STF please don't confuse what I was saying here for "owning" anything; that tends to make me start quoting Hegel on property and what it means to possess and the subject-object relationship. And we don't want to start a political discussion.

Of course not, because then your inadequacies would be exposed.
   867. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: June 02, 2012 at 07:40 AM (#4146200)
867 exposes the main difference between the Lounge and the rest of the site, in my view: the Lounge is much less competitive. Ov vey iz meer. STFU. You're the brightest little boy! Pin a rose on you!
   868. AJMcCringleberry Posted: June 02, 2012 at 07:43 AM (#4146202)
I was going to be rude and call you people ########## in the Lounge. But I'll be nice and call you people ########## here.
   869. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 07:46 AM (#4146203)
The Lounge is competitive; it just wants to compete against people who aren't there.

870. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: June 02, 2012 at 07:49 AM (#4146204)
Of course not, because then your inadequacies would be exposed.

I will let JLAC respond to this, since he'll do it far better than I could. But to address your original kvetch about the Lounge:

Despite what you'd like to believe, the Lounge rarely discusses you. Few of us notice or care what you say about any topic except for the many occasions where you make an ass of yourself. And even then, we don't usually care. I mean, I noticed when you acted like a 10-year-old having a tantrum in the "Cards win the '06 World Series" thread, or when you responded to the many "Jack Morris is not a HoFer" posts with cherrypicking, special pleading and ignoring the previous two points in favor of repeating what you'd already said again and again. Other than that I have no real impression of you. Well, until this thread. And I feel that that's enough information to call you an angry child yelling about those mean grownups. I mean, I have felt that everyone was talking about me and judging me too. Then I hit puberty. Please do the same.

EDIT: I'm exaggerating. It's a very rare occasion when someone in the Lounge cares when you make an ass of yourself.

EDIT 2: Oh look, I insulted you "to your face" instead of "behind your back". Congratulations. If I later say anything negative about you in the Lounge I will try to let you know.
   871. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: June 02, 2012 at 07:56 AM (#4146207)
870, if anyone who feels like they're being "talked about" were to show up in the Lounge and voice objection, I doubt whoever was doing the talking would back down, as you imply. They'd probably defend their opinion.

You're making a big deal out of a little thing. That typifies what goes on here on this part of the site.
   872. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:01 AM (#4146208)
How long have Loungers come on here and said something and run back to the Lounge and said, "Hee, hee, you should see what I just said on the Mainland"? I've only looked at the "vomit" thread and it happened over and over.

I also like how the Lounge lifts political discussions from the Mainland and talks about them among themselves ... the comment who said Mainlanders were comparing the redo to the Holocaust was particularly impressive.
   873. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:06 AM (#4146209)
A Lounge Greatest Hit:

I stuck my head into that Mainland thread. Somebody is seriously comparing the situation to the Holocaust - apparently this is the ghetto, and we quietly marched off here.

On the bright side, Jim has offered us all a free shower! He’s even given us soap!
   874. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:10 AM (#4146211)
And so what?
   875. Jim Furtado Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:15 AM (#4146212)
I feel like I just returned to my home after a night out with my wife to find the house looks like a tornado passed though and the kids are yelling and pointing fingers at each other.

Enough. Really. I can't make people clean up the spaghetti on the walls and I have no time or desire to arbitrate grievances. (See TOS for details. )

Some people don't like some other people. Some people like other people and like to congregate. Some people don't like long political discussions. Some people do. Some people don't like the lounge. Some people spend all their time there. Some people don't like the Red Sox. Some of us do. Some people don't like me or you. (I know it's hard to believe.) Some of them do. Some people don't want things to change. Some people encourage it. I will be sorry if the redesign isn't to your liking. I will be pleased if you like it. Regardless, things are changing at BBTF.org.

It is my hope (and I'm putting a lot of time, effort, and money to the realization of that hope) that the redesign improves every aspect of this site. I learned a long time ago that I can't please everyone completely. Instead I try to manage things well enough that people consider the time they spend on the site worthwhile and want to keep coming back.

The redesign is intended work on a multitude of levels to improve the core strengths of this site: 1) baseball news aggregation and analysis, 2) baseball discussion, and 3) community. No matter which reason you come I hope to make it easier for you to find the stuff you are looking for. This means I also have to make it easier for you to avoid the stuff you aren't interested in.

Hopefully, most of my changes will work. Some of them, I am sure, won't. Part of the winnowing out process is the beta test. Since everyone posting on this thread is a longtime member of the site (no matter your perspective), I encourage you to become part of the process. I suggest, however, you recognize that you aren't typical users of the site and I may make some decisions which conflict with your desires. Please know, however, I am trying to accommodate your desires as best I can because I truly appreciate your love and attention to the site.
   876. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:22 AM (#4146214)
(See TOS for details.)

OK, here's what they say:

"You are free to disagree (even vehemently) with what other members of the BBTF community have to say, but we ask that you do so in a respectful manner".
   877. Jim Furtado Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:25 AM (#4146215)
A Lounge Greatest Hit:

I stuck my head into that Mainland thread. Somebody is seriously comparing the situation to the Holocaust - apparently this is the ghetto, and we quietly marched off here.

On the bright side, Jim has offered us all a free shower! He’s even given us soap!

That was a funny one! You should have read some of the others. I bet many of the ones that I never read are even better.

Edit: BTW, in case my response isn't clear...if the post was meant to provoke me in some way, your tactics are way off. Just like every other place in the world, people vent. They don't always do it in the best way, but it is what it is. Getting worked up about it isn't productive or useful in any way.
   878. Sheer Tim Foli Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:28 AM (#4146217)
> "You are free to disagree (even vehemently) with what other members of the BBTF community have to say, but we ask that you do so in a respectful manner".

This is where the quiet introspection is supposed to kick in
   879. Andere Richtingen Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:31 AM (#4146219)
#### those ######' Loungers who come out here and say they're baseball fans that are supposed to be behind you rippin' every ######' thing you do. I'll tell you one ######' thing, I hope we get a ######' ######## of hits, just to stuff it up them 3,000 ######' Loungers that show up every ######' day, because if they're the real Primates, they can kiss my ######' ass right downtown and PRINT IT.

They're really, really behind you around here... my ######' ass. What the #### am I supposed to do, go out there and let my ######' website get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the ######' nickel-dime people who turn up? The ############# don't even work. That's why they're on the ######' internet. They oughta go out and do their ######' jobs and find out what it's like to go out and earn a ######' living. Eighty-five percent of the ######' world is working. The other fifteen percent log in here. A ######' playground for the ###########. Rip them #############. Rip them ######' ########### like the ######' mainlanders. We got guys bustin' their ######' ass posting articles, and them ######' people boo. And that's BTF?
   880. Bourbon Samurai Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:32 AM (#4146220)
Thanks for your efforts to keep everyone int he loop Jim.
   881. Jim Furtado Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:33 AM (#4146221)
SugareBear, I know the other kids have made fun of you. It wasn't very nice of them. They shouldn't do it. You can't control what other people think of you, though. You shouldn't take those bad things to heart. Instead, you have to appreciate yourself and know how special you are. Now, I can't make all those bad kids apologize to you. I just don't have the time. Instead, I suggest you show how much better you are than them by being the bigger person. So, take responsibility for whatever bad things you may have said or done yourself, apologize to anyone you may have hurt *and* if they don't treat you better don't play with them anymore.
   882. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:37 AM (#4146223)
Hi Jim. Did you and the mrs. get the fruit basket I sent?
   883. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 08:46 AM (#4146227)
Also the point remains, if you people had migrated your political talk to the forums 6 years ago this would not be an issue. But Yinz were big babies.
   884. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:02 AM (#4146228)
SugareBear, I know the other kids have made fun of you.

Don't really care. It just casts an extra layer of humor on the already comical idea that the political longthreads are some kind of uniquely misanthropic blight. And it's now crystal clear that the kiddie table already talks about politics and probably has for years.
   885. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:03 AM (#4146229)
You sound like you care.
   886. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:05 AM (#4146230)
I bet you already checked the lounge to see if anyone mentioned your name.
   887. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:07 AM (#4146231)
Appropriately enough I am getting an ad for Dance Moms at the bottom of this page.
   888. MC Skat Kat kann es eigentlich kaum erwarten Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:24 AM (#4146236)
Xanax. Or beer. Probably not both at the same time.
   889. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:32 AM (#4146238)
Don't really care. It just casts an extra layer of humor on the already comical idea that the political longthreads are some kind of uniquely misanthropic blight. And it's now crystal clear that the kiddie table already talks about politics and probably has for years.

Yes, the kiddie table talks about politics. And you know what? Nobody cares that it happens there. Because it's in the forums, and not in the baseball threads. Because that's what the forums are for. And why there's an entire section in the forums explicitly demarcated for politics. And in fact, threads that were closed on the Newsstand were explicitly allowed to be continued in the forums.
   890. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:32 AM (#4146239)
Who the hell would go to a yard sale at a trailer park?
   891. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:34 AM (#4146240)
But Colin, they don't like the format. It is scary and the scrolling makes them very tired. Wittle babies get weary easy.
   892. BDC Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:34 AM (#4146241)
I'm not going to do it, but I'll bet anything that if I checked, the Lounge would contain no mention of me except for the half-dozen times I've actually stopped in. Nor would I care if it did. This is an Internet forum where people use funny invented handles, for crying out loud. It's not the Huffington Post or the Science Citation Index. Chill, as Jim notes, would seem to be indicated :)
   893. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:36 AM (#4146242)
That is totally not owning it.
   894. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:37 AM (#4146243)
I could use a nap.
   895. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:39 AM (#4146244)
So what brand of watches do you guys own?
   896. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:40 AM (#4146245)
Yes, you could, young man.
   897. Nineto Lezcano needs to get his shit together (CW) Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:43 AM (#4146247)
But Colin, they don't like the format. It is scary and the scrolling makes them very tired. Wittle babies get weary easy.

You really aren't helping.

But, yes, there are people who don't like the forum interface. They are being given an off-topic area on the site that uses the Newsstand interface, which should be to their liking. I don't get the fuss.
   898. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:45 AM (#4146248)
Is the neighborhood where Leon Trotsky lived where all the rich people in Mexico City live? What would be a comparable neighborhood in say, LA Chicago or Miami?
   899. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:46 AM (#4146249)
The fuss is because they think they are more important than the site as a whole.
   900. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: June 02, 2012 at 09:47 AM (#4146251)
I am owning this flip.
Page 9 of 14 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Ghost is getting a Woody
for his generous support.