Go to end of page
Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.
Mobility always tends to slow in times of economic hardship, and there has been a gradual decline in American mobility for decades. But census numbers released earlier this year showed that domestic migration in 2010 had plummeted substantially since the recession began and reached the lowest level since the government began tracking it in the 1940s.
The snowbelt-to-sunbelt migration that characterized the boom years has resumed, but only sluggishly, Brookings Institution senior fellow William Frey said. In the wake of the recession, millennials have remained cautious about moving, putting a drag on state-to-state migration, he said.
This week New York Times columnist David Brooks noted the decline in mobility among Americans as yet another indicator and argued that the country had become “insecure,” “risk averse” and even fatalistic about its future.
We at the ACP agree with Mr. Brooks about the mobility trend, but believe his theories about what it means are, at best, something of a reach. Americans may be more insecure about the future – indeed, the last recession and its fallout could give anyone that concern – but the decrease in American mobility are more likely about long-term urbanization and changes in American communities like the ones we see in the ACP.
First, there is nothing particularly new about the declining mobility rate. It’s been dropping pretty steadily since a spike in 1984, when it reached about 20%, dropping to about 12% today, as these numbers show. So this isn’t a sudden loss in confidence of among Americans. Or rather, if dropping mobility is about a loss confidence, it is about a slow, steady loss of confidence.
Then on the other hand there's Mitch Williams
MLB Network Just Finished Most Watched Quarter Ever
During the past three months, MLB Network averaged a whopping 206,000 viewers in primetime and 105,000 over the full day, increases of 12% and 27% from the second quarter of 2013
even Sharktank does at least double those numbers.
Before getting too excited, this is the MLB Network, not MLB baseball. 206k viewers in primetime is miniscule, you need more than double that to crack the top 180 shows, even Sharktank does at least double those numbers.
Those are the most viewed network primetime tv shows.
99% of a typical night on the MLB Network with the remaining 1% being any segment involving the execrable Chris Russo.
Since MLB Network is only carried on DirecTV and certain (not all) cable systems in a patchwork, it's reasonable to expect it to have limited penetration. Maybe by that measure this is a jackpot of viewers?
The consistent misspelling of "minuscule" makes me want to go downtown & shoot people.
You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.
Login to Join (0 members)
Page rendered in 0.4583 seconds, 57 querie(s) executed