You are here > Home

Contributors

Jim Furtado
Founder & Publisher

Featured

SABR 46 Convention in Miami
  by Foghorn Leghorn

Pregame ballpark session/tour: SABR 46 attendees will have a special opportunity to visit Marlins Park for an exclusive pregame ballpark session with Miami Marlins executives and players, including Barry Bonds, Don Mattingly, Andre Dawson, Tony Perez, and ESPN’s Eduardo Perez. Before the Marlins ...

Posted: June 29, 2016 at 12:18 PM
The Dombrowski Method
  by Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site

When I watch baseball I always like to think about why teams do something.  I would rather figure out why Jonny Gomes starts over Daniel Nava than complain that the manager is a moron or why Josh Reddick gets traded for Andrew Bailey than whine about the GM.  That’s not to say that I never voice ...

Posted: June 13, 2016 at 11:31 AM
Most Meritorious Player: 1993 Ballot
  by DL from MN

For 1993, each voter should rank the top 14 players from all leagues combined.

Balloting is scheduled to close at 4pm EDT on 1 June 2016.

Anyone can vote, even if you do not normally participate in Hall of Merit discussions. If have never participated in an MMP election, just post a preliminary ...

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 04:38 PM
Screw the Closer
  by Moses Taylor, sex fowler

I’ve seen a couple of joking references to this on Twitter during various games, so I found it pretty amusing the Cubs actively talk about it:

Chicago Cubs hitters really mean no offense to their closer, Hector Rondon. They simply want to add on runs and win baseball games without a nail-biting ...

Posted: May 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM
As I Was Saying…
  by Moses Taylor, sex fowler

Where were we…oh, that’s right.  It’s good to be back.  My goal is to have something up at least once a week, but I’m sure we’ll have plenty to talk about this year.

Since the last post on this blog, appropriately titled “I Am Fine with This”, a lot has happened.  And then it’s been rehashed, and ...

Posted: May 05, 2016 at 09:45 AM
We Still Know Nothin’
  by Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site

No I didn’t go anywhere, why do you ask?

So the Sox are a couple weeks into the season and so far…I don’t think we know anything particularly new.  When the season began I felt this was an 83-79, third place team.  I like the offense but I had concerns about a few of the down order hitters and I ...

Posted: April 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM
2016 New York City Softball Game
  by Shooty is obsessed with the latest hoodie

Looks like it will be August 20th this year.

Posted: April 01, 2016 at 09:33 AM
The Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2016 - Minor League Ball
  by Jim Furtado

Edit: The linked spreadsheet should be useful if you have a minor league draft coming up.

John Sickel’s Top 150. It came out a few days after my simulation league’s minor league draft so it didn’t help me this year. If you haven’t had your draft yet check it out. Also, here’s an Excel sheet of ...

Posted: March 30, 2016 at 08:43 AM
Harvey had blood clot in bladder, will start Opening Day - NY Daily News
  by Jim Furtado

Let it flow, Matt!

After hours of speculation about his “mysterious” medical condition, Matt Harvey was cleared to pitch Opening Day after passing a “big” blood clot. The Mets ace said that the blood clot developed after a bladder infection, likely because he does not use the restroom often ...

Posted: March 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Irish athletic trainer makes most of A’s internship - San Francisco Chronicle
  by Jim Furtado

From what I read, a few beat writers probably do the same thing each spring.

“I like it, I’m impressed!” she said. “On the plane on the way over I was looking at ‘Baseball for Dummies,’ trying to understand the rules. I think I was annoying everyone the first game with all my questions ...

Posted: March 28, 2016 at 09:36 AM

Chicago Joe

Bookmarks

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

NewsblogOTP 2016 July 18: Girls’ softball teams being shut out of city defibrillator policy, while boys’ teams given life-saving devices
(1683 - 12:50am, Jul 24)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogOMNICHATTER 7-23-16
(99 - 11:41pm, Jul 23)
Last: Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site

NewsblogMoe Berg: Catcher, Lawyer, Horndog, Spy - Twinkie Town
(17 - 11:41pm, Jul 23)
Last: Howie Menckel

Newsblog#MLBRank: Barry Bonds, Ty Cobb make Stark's all-time top 10
(27 - 11:22pm, Jul 23)
Last: Booey

Sox TherapyHow Good Does Pomeranz Need To Be?
(21 - 11:20pm, Jul 23)
Last: Dillon Gee Escape Plan

NewsblogRangers' Prince Fielder has herniated disk | texasrangers.com
(43 - 11:20pm, Jul 23)
Last: cardsfanboy

NewsblogIchiro Suzuki records 2 hits, 4 shy of 3,000 | MLB.com
(51 - 11:02pm, Jul 23)
Last: Gonfalon Bubble

NewsblogOT: NBA Offseason Thread, July 2016
(801 - 10:56pm, Jul 23)
Last: Booey

NewsblogOT: 2016 Summer Soccer Thread
(1497 - 10:42pm, Jul 23)
Last: Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun)

NewsblogArizona Diamondbacks reportedly weighing change at manager
(9 - 10:41pm, Jul 23)
Last: SoSHially Unacceptable

NewsblogChristian Yelich starting to hit for power | MLB.com
(7 - 7:57pm, Jul 23)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogYankees beat Giants on 8th-inning error | MLB.com
(2 - 7:37pm, Jul 23)
Last: Sweatpants

NewsblogTexas Rangers: Rangers, Chicago White Sox appear to be circling one another in trade dance | SportsDay
(2 - 7:18pm, Jul 23)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogRussell Martin suffers an injury after staying in the sauna too long - CBSSports.com
(5 - 7:14pm, Jul 23)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

NewsblogTed Berg: I badly wanted MLB to adopt replay before 2014. Now I find it boring and dumb
(41 - 3:48pm, Jul 23)