You are here > Home

Contributors

Jim Furtado
Founder & Publisher

Featured

Most Meritorious Player: 1993 Ballot
  by DL from MN

For 1993, each voter should rank the top 14 players from all leagues combined.

Balloting is scheduled to close at 4pm EDT on 1 June 2016.

Anyone can vote, even if you do not normally participate in Hall of Merit discussions. If have never participated in an MMP election, just post a preliminary ...

Posted: May 23, 2016 at 04:38 PM
Screw the Closer
  by Moses Taylor, Optimist in London

I’ve seen a couple of joking references to this on Twitter during various games, so I found it pretty amusing the Cubs actively talk about it:

Chicago Cubs hitters really mean no offense to their closer, Hector Rondon. They simply want to add on runs and win baseball games without a nail-biting ...

Posted: May 10, 2016 at 12:10 PM
As I Was Saying…
  by Moses Taylor, Optimist in London

Where were we…oh, that’s right.  It’s good to be back.  My goal is to have something up at least once a week, but I’m sure we’ll have plenty to talk about this year.

Since the last post on this blog, appropriately titled “I Am Fine with This”, a lot has happened.  And then it’s been rehashed, and ...

Posted: May 05, 2016 at 09:45 AM
We Still Know Nothin’
  by Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site

No I didn’t go anywhere, why do you ask?

So the Sox are a couple weeks into the season and so far…I don’t think we know anything particularly new.  When the season began I felt this was an 83-79, third place team.  I like the offense but I had concerns about a few of the down order hitters and I ...

Posted: April 21, 2016 at 11:59 AM
2016 New York City Softball Game
  by Shooty is obsessed with the latest hoodie

Looks like it will be August 20th this year.

Posted: April 01, 2016 at 09:33 AM
The Top 175 MLB Prospects for 2016 - Minor League Ball
  by Jim Furtado

Edit: The linked spreadsheet should be useful if you have a minor league draft coming up.

John Sickel’s Top 150. It came out a few days after my simulation league’s minor league draft so it didn’t help me this year. If you haven’t had your draft yet check it out. Also, here’s an Excel sheet of ...

Posted: March 30, 2016 at 08:43 AM
Harvey had blood clot in bladder, will start Opening Day - NY Daily News
  by Jim Furtado

Let it flow, Matt!

After hours of speculation about his “mysterious” medical condition, Matt Harvey was cleared to pitch Opening Day after passing a “big” blood clot. The Mets ace said that the blood clot developed after a bladder infection, likely because he does not use the restroom often ...

Posted: March 29, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Irish athletic trainer makes most of A’s internship - San Francisco Chronicle
  by Jim Furtado

From what I read, a few beat writers probably do the same thing each spring.

“I like it, I’m impressed!” she said. “On the plane on the way over I was looking at ‘Baseball for Dummies,’ trying to understand the rules. I think I was annoying everyone the first game with all my questions ...

Posted: March 28, 2016 at 09:36 AM

245 38.5 Magglio Ordonez-RF
206 44.9 J.D. Drew-RF
170 46.0 Javier Vazquez-P
233 34.3 Derrek Lee-1B
236 32.1 ...
Posted: December 22, 2015 at 10:22 AM
2016 Hall of Merit Election Results: Griffey Jr., Mussina, Smoltz and Sheffield elected!
  by JoeD has the Imperial March Stuck in His Head

Ken Griffey, Jr., Mike Mussina, John Smoltz and Gary Sheffield join the Hall of Merit as the Class of 2016!

Griffey was named on the top of 21 of the 26 ballots cast, leading the way with 619 of a possible 624 points.

Mussina finished second with 551 points - he was in the top four on 22 ballots. ...

Posted: December 21, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Vegas Watch

Bookmarks

You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.

NewsblogOMNICHATTER 5-24-16
(96 - 9:24pm, May 24)
Last: Andere Richtingen

NewsblogOT: NBA Playoffs Thread 2016
(2306 - 9:23pm, May 24)
Last: madvillain

NewsblogOTP 2016 May 23: Baseball owners hear from Democratic, Republican strategists
(359 - 9:19pm, May 24)
Last: There's a bustle in Misirlou's hedgerow

NewsblogSan Diego Gay Men’s Chorus Humiliated in Homophobic ‘Nightmare’ at Padres Game
(218 - 9:16pm, May 24)
Last: bobm

NewsblogMission Impossible: African-Americans & analytics
(44 - 9:15pm, May 24)
Last: The Yankee Clapper

Sox TherapyTalkin' Baseball
(10 - 8:29pm, May 24)
Last: Jose Remains The Most Absurd Thing on the Site

NewsblogThornography » Bill Lee is reportedly running for governor of Vermont
(3 - 8:15pm, May 24)
Last: Betts, Bogaerts, and D Price(GGC)

NewsblogMarlins Sue Season Ticketholders, Vendors Bankrupted by Small Crowds
(45 - 8:07pm, May 24)
Last: Where have you gone Brady Anderson?

NewsblogTony Gwynn’s Family’s Lawsuit Against Big Tobacco
(21 - 8:03pm, May 24)
Last: bigglou115

NewsblogOT: Wrestling Thread November 2014
(1577 - 7:47pm, May 24)
Last: vagab0nd is still a champion

NewsblogNYP: Bartolo Colon told Nationals: ‘Throw it down the middle, [I’m] not swinging’
(8 - 7:42pm, May 24)
Last: Poster Nutbag

NewsblogBraves trade minor leaguers for draft pick (and Matusz)
(17 - 7:25pm, May 24)
Last: Walt Davis

NewsblogPrimer Dugout (and link of the day) 5-24-2016
(23 - 7:13pm, May 24)
Last: Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee)

NewsblogRangers put Choo, Stubbs on DL; Gallo recalled | MLB.com
(4 - 6:48pm, May 24)
Last: Davo's Favorite Tacos Are Moose Tacos

NewsblogFull Count » Red Sox reliever Carson Smith will have Tommy John surgery Tuesday
(20 - 6:44pm, May 24)