Rich Dubee, Ruben Amaro Newsbeat
Wednesday, July 08, 2015
After hitting just .179/.257/.275 in 249 at-bats, Utley was sent to the disabled list with a right ankle injury. When he returns, he may find that his run with the Phillies has come to an end.
Is Utley still team’s everyday 2B upon return? “Not for me he’s not,” Amaro said. “Cesar Hernandez is our best second baseman.”
Those are pretty strong words from general manager Ruben Amaro Jr.
Hernandez has performed well over the first few months of the season, hitting .302/.385/.385 over 207 plate appearances.
Hernandez may be the future at second base for Philadelphia, but he’s earned that role mostly by default. Given the state of the franchise, the 36-year-old Utley isn’t going to be on the next winning Phillies club. Hernandez was never really considered a strong prospect, and was viewed more as a backup/utility infielder coming up, so expecting him to be great moving forward might be foolish.
Could have more time for a catch with Mac though.
Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Come out and watch our team, you idiots!
In addition to keeping quiet about a long list of trade possibilities involving veterans, Amaro also remains adamant about not rushing prospects who could replace those veterans.
“I think we’re going to be conservative,” he said (via CSNPhilly.com).
Moreover, he doesn’t care that that won’t sit well with fans who are enduring a 19-28 start after last season’s 73-89 disappointment.
“They don’t understand the game,” Amaro said. “They don’t understand the process. There’s a process. And then they ##### and complain because we don’t have a plan. There’s a plan in place and we’re sticking with the plan.”
Wednesday, April 01, 2015
Aramark and the Phillies announced Tuesday that this season they’ll be selling booze at Citizens Bank Park’s general concessions areas for the first time. Beer they already sold, but liquor and wine were only available in the fancier parts of the ballpark, like the premium seats. Not any more.
Hey, guys, you need help with that cocktail list? It seems like the Phillies roster offers plenty of inspiration, such as:
• The Ryan Howard Slammer — it’s a big ol’ drink that costs $25, but don’t worry, it won’t even get you drunk, because it’s basically useless.
• The Papelbonbon — Jagermeister, tequila, absinthe and Fireball mixed with Red Bull and Mountain Dew, served with an Irish Car Bomb chaser. It’ll probably make you grab your crotch. It may make you say dumb things. It might actually kill you.
• Amaro Island Iced Tea — nobody likes this drink, but somehow it’s still on the menu.
• Hamels Sunrise — basically, you order this, babysit it and wait for someone to scoop you up and take you to Boston.
• Cliff Lee’s Last Call — inspired by Cliff Lee’s possible last season because of a lingering elbow injury, this is a collection of whatever the bartender has left. If you’re lucky, it might taste good, but probably not.
• Utley 2600 — the finest drink on the menu, if nothing else is worth a damn (and it probably isn’t), there’s always this.
You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.
: Let’s make a steal | NBC SportsWorld
(4 - 2:17pm, Jul 30)
: Blue Jays make big score, land Tigers lefty David Price - CBSSports.com
(28 - 2:17pm, Jul 30)
: OTP - July 2015: Winning the Political Game: Politics is More Like Baseball Than Football
(5941 - 2:16pm, Jul 30)Last:
: Rangers Get a New Ace in Cole Hamels
(17 - 2:16pm, Jul 30)
: Trade Chatter - 2015 Deadline
(441 - 2:16pm, Jul 30)Last:
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad)Newsblog
: BBTF 2015 Shooty Memorial Softball Meet-up!
(336 - 2:15pm, Jul 30)Last:
Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream UrineNewsblog
: OT: Soccer June 2015
(1417 - 2:15pm, Jul 30)Last:
Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun)Newsblog
: OMNICHATTER 7-30-2015
(12 - 2:09pm, Jul 30)
Last: Joey B. is counting the days to Trea TurnerNewsblog
: OT: Monthly NBA Thread - July 2015
(1695 - 1:56pm, Jul 30)Last:
: Cards, Fox Sports Midwest reach lucrative TV deal : Sports
(4 - 1:52pm, Jul 30)
: Buster Posey’s Pitch Framing Makes Him A Potential MVP | FiveThirtyEight
(3 - 1:49pm, Jul 30)
: Baseball Hall of Fame to eliminate some inactive voters
(58 - 1:45pm, Jul 30)
: Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 7-30-2015
(7 - 1:36pm, Jul 30)
: Mets Continue to Act Like Small-Market Team | FanGraphs Baseball
(46 - 1:23pm, Jul 30)
Last: formerly dpNewsblog
: Indians, Cardinals believed to be working on significant trade - MLB Daily Dish
(34 - 1:15pm, Jul 30)
Last: Spahn Insane