Ruben Amaro Newsbeat
Wednesday, July 08, 2015
After hitting just .179/.257/.275 in 249 at-bats, Utley was sent to the disabled list with a right ankle injury. When he returns, he may find that his run with the Phillies has come to an end.
Is Utley still team’s everyday 2B upon return? “Not for me he’s not,” Amaro said. “Cesar Hernandez is our best second baseman.”
Those are pretty strong words from general manager Ruben Amaro Jr.
Hernandez has performed well over the first few months of the season, hitting .302/.385/.385 over 207 plate appearances.
Hernandez may be the future at second base for Philadelphia, but he’s earned that role mostly by default. Given the state of the franchise, the 36-year-old Utley isn’t going to be on the next winning Phillies club. Hernandez was never really considered a strong prospect, and was viewed more as a backup/utility infielder coming up, so expecting him to be great moving forward might be foolish.
Could have more time for a catch with Mac though.
Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Come out and watch our team, you idiots!
In addition to keeping quiet about a long list of trade possibilities involving veterans, Amaro also remains adamant about not rushing prospects who could replace those veterans.
“I think we’re going to be conservative,” he said (via CSNPhilly.com).
Moreover, he doesn’t care that that won’t sit well with fans who are enduring a 19-28 start after last season’s 73-89 disappointment.
“They don’t understand the game,” Amaro said. “They don’t understand the process. There’s a process. And then they ##### and complain because we don’t have a plan. There’s a plan in place and we’re sticking with the plan.”
Wednesday, April 01, 2015
Aramark and the Phillies announced Tuesday that this season they’ll be selling booze at Citizens Bank Park’s general concessions areas for the first time. Beer they already sold, but liquor and wine were only available in the fancier parts of the ballpark, like the premium seats. Not any more.
Hey, guys, you need help with that cocktail list? It seems like the Phillies roster offers plenty of inspiration, such as:
• The Ryan Howard Slammer — it’s a big ol’ drink that costs $25, but don’t worry, it won’t even get you drunk, because it’s basically useless.
• The Papelbonbon — Jagermeister, tequila, absinthe and Fireball mixed with Red Bull and Mountain Dew, served with an Irish Car Bomb chaser. It’ll probably make you grab your crotch. It may make you say dumb things. It might actually kill you.
• Amaro Island Iced Tea — nobody likes this drink, but somehow it’s still on the menu.
• Hamels Sunrise — basically, you order this, babysit it and wait for someone to scoop you up and take you to Boston.
• Cliff Lee’s Last Call — inspired by Cliff Lee’s possible last season because of a lingering elbow injury, this is a collection of whatever the bartender has left. If you’re lucky, it might taste good, but probably not.
• Utley 2600 — the finest drink on the menu, if nothing else is worth a damn (and it probably isn’t), there’s always this.
You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.
: The Website MLB Couldn’t Buy
(7 - 3:16pm, Aug 27)
: OTP - August 2015: Meet the … Baseball Owner Funding the 2016 Campaign ...
(4468 - 3:13pm, Aug 27)Last:
: OMNICHATTER 8-27-15
(36 - 3:11pm, Aug 27)
Last: Moses TaylorNewsblog
: OT: Monthly NBA Thread - August 2015
(129 - 3:09pm, Aug 27)Last:
i'm only STEAGLES when it's complicatedNewsblog
: The Pyramid Rating System: JAWS on a Career Scale – The Hardball Times
(10 - 3:07pm, Aug 27)
Last: Put a Milo Candini on him. (Dan Lee)Hall of Merit
: Most Meritorious Player: 1908 Discussion
(28 - 3:07pm, Aug 27)
: Justin Verlander barely misses third gem as Tigers beat Angels, 5-0 - LA Times
(12 - 2:55pm, Aug 27)
Last: Matt WelchNewsblog
: Month is cold one for Trout
(15 - 2:53pm, Aug 27)
Last: Matt WelchNewsblog
: OT: Soccer August 2015
(477 - 2:53pm, Aug 27)Last:
: SB Nation: Pirates outfielder may have made the most chill out in MLB history
(22 - 2:30pm, Aug 27)
: Schoenfield: Trying to figure out Don Mattingly and the Dodgers
(10 - 2:19pm, Aug 27)
: OT: NBC.news: Valve isn’t making one gaming console, but multiple ‘Steam machines’
(1887 - 2:17pm, Aug 27)Last:
: red sox - The Hanley Effect has rippled through Red Sox roster, left destruction in wake - WEEI | John Tomase
(14 - 1:49pm, Aug 27)
Last: Nasty NateNewsblog
: Pablo Sandoval has improved defensively - The Boston Globe
(9 - 12:54pm, Aug 27)
Last: Tom NawrockiNewsblog
: Jose Bautista is boycotting SportsNet because they won’t pay for Devon Travis’ suit
(29 - 12:39pm, Aug 27)
Last: Random Transaction Generator