Tuesday, September 27, 2016
Only in baseball — in no other sport — do we imagine that olden days were better than our own, or that the stars of nearly a century ago could not only compete with those of today but would certainly exceed them. Was there ever a guy like Ruth? Or Gehrig? No. Nor have there been writers like Rice and Runyon, Gallico and Vidmer, Kieran and Lieb, or Cannon. All these were honored in their generations, and were the glory of their times.
But I’ll take the game and the writing of today.
Posted: September 27, 2016 at 09:49 AM | 12 comment(s)
Monday, September 26, 2016
Why do sports writers love Marriott in particular? The answer seems to be the chain’s big-city locations, early rewards program, and inertia. A number of younger writers say that they were counseled into Marriotts by older colleagues. On Friday, Marriott completed its merger with Starwood Hotels — a move that may dilute Marriott brand loyalty and could mark the end of an era — but for now, the adoration remains strong.
Adam Kilgore, a national sports writer for the Washington Post who previously covered the Nationals beat, prefaced his favorite Marriott story with this disclaimer: “It’s possibly apocryphal, but it’s too good not to tell.”
The anecdote — since confirmed under the condition of anonymity — dates back to the 1990s, when one veteran scribe covering a baseball series in a Midwestern city recognized that his low hotel rate was limiting his Marriott points-earning potential, so he approached the front desk and asked to pay more. The confused front desk rep couldn’t raise the price, so the writer instead rented a second room.
Kilgore, a thirty-something grizzled beyond his years, practically begged for follow-up queries. “If anything comes up and you have more questions, call me back,” he said. “I always love talking about Marriotts.”
Saturday, April 30, 2016
Sherman blames everyone for players using PEDs—save the sportswriters who turned a blind eye to the issue during the 90s/00s.
Dee Gordon is the villain in his 80-game suspension. Let’s be upfront about that because I want to talk about the hypocrisy that cushions a villain and propels a villain to do villainous stuff.
Pretty much the only institution in the game that has delivered a strong penalty to those tied to illegal performance enhancers is the Baseball Writers Association of America, which votes for the Hall of Fame. Hypocrisy alert: I might be part of the problem, because I vote for Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens.
Ultimately, the Hall is about the best 1 percent of players ever. For the other 99 percent, the deterrent message is not exactly powerful, certainly not as powerful as the hypocrisy.
You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.
: The Long Wait
(44 - 12:44pm, Oct 21)
Last: Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB)Newsblog
: OTP 2016 Oct 17: Politics, Sports, and the 'League of Legends' World Championship
(1698 - 12:43pm, Oct 21)Last:
Brian C Newsblog
: Primer Dugout (and link of the day) 10-21-2016
(12 - 12:42pm, Oct 21)
Last: Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.comNewsblog
: The Blue Jays Should Rebuild | FanGraphs Baseball
(23 - 12:35pm, Oct 21)
: The Oral History of Baseball on 'Seinfeld' | Complex
(49 - 12:34pm, Oct 21)
Last: Man o' SchwarNewsblog
: OT: NBA 2016-17 Preseason Thread
(214 - 12:33pm, Oct 21)Last:
SPICEY WITH A SIDE OF BEER ON A BABYYYYYYYNewsblog
: What we learned: The Dodgers can't hit Jon Lester
(14 - 12:31pm, Oct 21)
Last: The PequodHall of Merit
: Most Meritorious Player: 2016 Discussion
(5 - 12:28pm, Oct 21)
: No Strike Or Lockout For MLB, Challenges With International Draft
(9 - 12:12pm, Oct 21)
Last: snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster)Newsblog
: Citgo sign could be landmark on the move | Boston Herald
(29 - 11:58am, Oct 21)
Last: Betts, Bogaerts, and D Price(GGC) Newsblog
: Putting value of Los Angeles Dodgers catcher Yasmani Grandal in the proper frame
(15 - 11:56am, Oct 21)
: Texas Rangers: Offseason issues: Why Rangers face tough decision in what to do with Joey Gallo | SportsDay
(27 - 11:38am, Oct 21)
Last: Johnny Sycophant-Laden ForaSox Therapy
: The Post Mortem Concludes - Not Players
(1 - 10:43am, Oct 21)
: The unique role Hazleton, Pa., plays in the Chicago Cubs’ World Series push
(5 - 10:33am, Oct 21)
: ESPN 2016 Ultimate Standings: Royals, Rangers lead MLB teams
(1 - 10:28am, Oct 21)
Last: Lou Sleater-Josh Kinney