Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 23, 2018

108 degrees? Pfft.

On Sunday afternoon at Globe Life Park, about 15,000 fans braved a first-pitch temperature of 102. And that kept going up, topping out at 108 before the game ended around 4:40 p.m.

Clint Whitaker, his two sons and nephew, drove in from Fruitvale (about 60 miles east of Dallas) to celebrate son Cash’s 10th birthday. They were sitting in the seats they bought, in the sun behind home plate on the lower level.

Cannon, 4, was handling the heat just fine in the second inning, but didn’t hold back about the heat of his stadium seat.

“My butt is on fire,” he said.

Help is coming in the form of the new BDC Dome going up across the street, of course.  But meanwhile, there is no natural imperative to play day games when it’s 43 degrees Celsius.  Teams in the hotter outdoor parks need to be able to play Sunday night baseball.

BDC Posted: July 23, 2018 at 07:00 AM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: air conditioning, heat exhaustion, rangers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: July 23, 2018 at 10:50 AM (#5714038)
Didn't the Rangers used to play Sunday night games, or was that just at the old ballpark? I'll admit my team moved to the NL 20 years ago, and I don't pay close attention to the Rangers anymore.
   2. SoSH U at work Posted: July 23, 2018 at 10:56 AM (#5714048)

Didn't the Rangers used to play Sunday night games, or was that just at the old ballpark? I'll admit my team moved to the NL 20 years ago, and I don't pay close attention to the Rangers anymore.

The Rangers hardly ever played any day games between early April and late September at the old ballpark, including Sundays. That isn't the case now, and it's likely MLB leans on them not to schedule Sunday night games to avoid conflicting with SNB.

3. BDC Posted: July 23, 2018 at 11:00 AM (#5714053)
Coke to SoSH who said everything I was going to :)
   4. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: July 23, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5714081)
Why start the game at 1PM? I understand MLB wants to keep the exclusivity of the night game for national TV but why not start the game at 4 or 5 local time? Now based on the article maybe that doesn't make a bit of difference but it seems starting later would make sense.
   5. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5714092)
If you name your kids "Cash" and "Cannon," I don't have too much sympathy for you.

EDIT: By the way, when TF did it become "Globe Life Park"?? I thought the article was talking about a minor league park. Also, WTF is Globe Life?
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: July 23, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5714097)
If you name your kids "Cash" and "Cannon," I don't have too much sympathy for you.

Cary was so obvious for the 2nd one.
   7. SoSH U at work Posted: July 23, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5714109)
EDIT: By the way, when TF did it become "Globe Life Park"?? I thought the article was talking about a minor league park. Also, WTF is Globe Life?

The cool kids call it The Ballpark in Arlington again.
   8. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 23, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5714111)
Why start the game at 1PM? I understand MLB wants to keep the exclusivity of the night game for national TV but why not start the game at 4 or 5 local time?

I attended a game in the old Arlington Stadium, and at 10 PM it was 99 degrees.
   9. SandyRiver Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:18 PM (#5714136)
The 1966 All Star game was in St. Louis, on a day with temp 105/84, the low noted to indicate humidity along with heat. That was in the infancy of artificial turf, before research found ways to mitigate the heat at/near the rug. I've read that the on-the-field temp at eye level was over 120.
   10. . . . . . . Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:32 PM (#5714148)
Peak temp in the diurnal cycle is around 4PM in midsummer, so starting a game at 1PM or 4PM is basically identical in terms of heat. Sun is stronger midday, of course.

Bigger question is why not have a 10:30am start.
   11. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5714151)
Also, WTF is Globe Life?

At some point, you'd have to think it would sink in for these brilliant business executives that spending millions of dollars a year to bolt the name of their faceless soulless corporation onto a sports venue, particularly an existing one, in order to "increase brand awareness" or any other marketeer-speak is little more than a fool's errand.
   12. Zonk is a Doppleclapper Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:41 PM (#5714152)

What is this, football?

Seriously, though - it's a good question... excepting the rare doubleheader makeup that kicks off closer to noon, what is baseball's obsession with No Games Earlier Than 1 PM local?

13. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:45 PM (#5714156)
what is baseball's obsession with No Games Earlier Than 1 PM local?
Beer sales, I would think.
   14. SoSH U at work Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM (#5714159)

On a Sunday? In Texas? I can think of a few reasons why the Rangers would be disinclined.

15. Perry Posted: July 23, 2018 at 12:57 PM (#5714170)

Per Ball Four, a lot of players aren't done throwing up at that hour.

The 1966 All Star game was in St. Louis, on a day with temp 105/84, the low noted to indicate humidity along with heat. That was in the infancy of artificial turf, before research found ways to mitigate the heat at/near the rug. I've read that the on-the-field temp at eye level was over 120.

Busch still had grass then. The artificial turf was installed in 1970. Still, when they asked Casey Stengel what he thought of the new park, he said "It holds the heat well."
   16. phredbird Posted: July 23, 2018 at 05:00 PM (#5714376)
meh. the week's forecast in Palm Springs has every day with a high of at least 113. it is 117 outside as i type this.
   17. PreservedFish Posted: July 23, 2018 at 05:06 PM (#5714380)

If cricket can break for tea under the searing Andhra Pradesh sun, why can't baseball?
   18. Walt Davis Posted: July 23, 2018 at 05:15 PM (#5714390)
Chinese hoax.

Plus, put a roof on the thing and we can start calling it the Globe.
   19. Baldrick Posted: July 23, 2018 at 06:39 PM (#5714440)
Just looked at the forecast for my neck of the woods, and it's over 100 every day for the next couple weeks.

I love baseball, but I can't imagine trying to sit outside for more than ten or fifteen minutes in this, and far less if it was directly in the sun.
   20. cardsfanboy Posted: July 23, 2018 at 07:29 PM (#5714460)
I love baseball, but I can't imagine trying to sit outside for more than ten or fifteen minutes in this, and far less if it was directly in the sun.

It's a part of getting older I guess, but about 4 years ago, for the first time in my life I left a baseball game before it was over, summer day game extreme heat and about the 6th or so inning and I just couldn't stay there for much longer(drinking the night before which helped dehydrate me didn't help) and considering I think that only cripples should park within 10 minutes of the stadium, meant I had to walk about 20 minutes to get to the car, 2/3rds of the way there I somewhat passed out on the walk.. Not "passed out" but did just decide I needed a rest and laid down on the grass on the way to the the car for 5 - or 10 minutes before getting back up again.
   21. Perry Posted: July 23, 2018 at 09:26 PM (#5714553)
It's a part of getting older I guess, but about 4 years ago, for the first time in my life I left a baseball game before it was over, summer day game extreme heat...did just decide I needed a rest and laid down on the grass on the way to the the car for 5 - or 10 minutes before getting back up again.

As a former resident and more-or-less annual summer visitor to St. Louis, I can definitely understand this. Thirty years in the Rocky Mountain region has rendered me completely unfit for that climate. I was there about a month ago, the day I arrived it was an extremely muggy 97 and I couldn't imagine surviving a whole summer there again.
   22. Walt Davis Posted: July 24, 2018 at 12:18 AM (#5714667)
Upon a time, back in Chicago for a friend's wedding, a massive heat wave was rolling through -- hit 105 or something. I remember walking (very slowly) for a few blocks. There was a small breeze. Now normally a small breeze on a hot day is a godsend but I just felt like I was in a convection oven and it made me warmer.

Two things I learned when I moved to North Carolina. (1) That's why Southerners had the stereotype of moving so slow -- unless you want to melt into a puddle, you have no choice in that heat and humidity. (2)
If walking, always, always, always find the shady side of the street. It just became 2nd nature to cross the street, take paths between buildings, etc. no matter if it took me out of my way a bit. And I suppose we can combine (1) and (2) into (3) don't do a damn thing between about 11 am and 4 pm.

Which brings us to the clear superiority of the siesta culture.
   23. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: July 24, 2018 at 06:58 AM (#5714680)
A week in Singapore very quickly convinced me of the value of pedestrian tunnels around a city center in certain climates. In Singapore it's basically just one big underground mall. Being caught outside with my luggage in an 8am thunderstorm, and wondering where all the commuters were, was an education. I've been through bits of the Houston network, and I'm told Montreal has one too.
   24. Omineca Greg Posted: July 24, 2018 at 08:07 AM (#5714695)
I remember talking to a Bengali dude in Singapore. Friendly guy, just walked up to my son and I while we were waiting at a pedestrian light (don't jaywalk in Singapore...no, no, no, just NO!). He asked us how we were liking Singapore, and we told him we thought it was wonderful, but we were Canadians and weren't used to the weather. Which was humid and hot.

He just laughed and laughed .

He said, "I'm from Bengal. Bengal! They told me, 'You're moving to Singapore? It's hot there!'. But I thought, 'We're Bengali, how much hotter could it be?. We're used to the hot.' But this is way worse here. Way worse. I do manual labour, construction, every single day I have to worry about dying. Don't get me wrong, I can send so much money home, it's great living here. But don't be embarrassed because you're not dealing with the heat very well. Everybody can't deal with it. No matter where you come from, this is almost unlivable."

And then, just to demonstrate, he lifted up his arms to show the depths of the sweat around his armpits, and spun around so we could see the sweat pool that had started in the small of his back, but had spread out in tendrils encompassing the entire back of his kurta. Looking more closely at him, I could see rivulets running down his face into his collar.

"Don't be embarrassed, friend. Nobody can deal with this heat. I used to be embarrassed too, 'I'm from Bengal, I have to be strong.' But I'm not embarrassed anymore. Nobody likes it. Nobody."
   25. ajnrules Posted: July 24, 2018 at 10:26 AM (#5714770)
It's a shame that the Rangers have to play those Sunday day games. There were so many empty seats for Adrian Beltre's 3,000th hit just because it was one of those Sunday day games, and Baseball Reference says the game-time temperature was only 92!

My friend was at the game this past Sunday. He said he spent the entire game sitting in the air conditioned environment of the Jack Daniels Club. He used to be against the move to Globe Life Park, but now that he got season tickets and has been to almost every Sunday day games, he can't wait for 2020 to come around.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Francis
for his generous support.