Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 09, 2010

2010 Rule V Draft results

PIT: Josh Rodriguez, SS, Columbus (CLE)
SEA: Jose Flores, RHP, Columbus (CLE)
ARI: Joe Paterson, LHP, Fresno (SF)
BAL: Adrian Rosario, RHP, Nashville (MIL)
KC: Nathan Adcock, RHP, Indianapolis (PIT)
WAS: Elvin Ramirez, RHP, Buffalo (NYM)
CHC: Mason Tobin, RHP, Salt Lake (LAA)
HOU: Aneury Rodriguez, RHP, Durham (TB)
MIL: Patrick Egan, RHP, Norfolk (BAL)
NYM: Bradley Emaus, 2B, Las Vegas (TOR)
SD: George Kontos, RHP, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (NYY)
MIN: Scott Diamond, LHP, Gwinnett (ATL)
NYY: Robert Fish, LHP, Salt Lake (LAA)
TB: Cesar Cabral, LHP, Pawtucket (BOS)
PHI: Michael Martinez, IF, Syracuse (WAS)
WAS: Brian Broderick, RHP, Memphis (STL)
HOU: Lance Pendleton, RHP, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (NYY)
NYM: Pedro Beato, RHP, Norfolk (BAL)
NYY: Daniel Turpen, RHP, Pawtucket (BOS)

Yankees go fishing for prospects, Twins find diamond in the rough.

Craig in MN Posted: December 09, 2010 at 03:59 PM | 64 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: minor leagues

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. lonestarball Posted: December 09, 2010 at 05:31 PM (#3706858)
There's no such thing as a Rule V draft.
   2. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: December 09, 2010 at 05:37 PM (#3706868)
The Cubs traded Tobin to the Rangers. Good news for Texas since that's how Josh Hamilton made it to the Reds.
   3. James Darnell's #1 Fan Posted: December 09, 2010 at 05:38 PM (#3706869)
George Kontos and Jacob Blackwood.

Kontos will be in the 'pen this coming season and I'm guessin' that Blackwood will be in AA since they already have 2 3B in AAA.
Looks like good pick-ups.
   4. RJ in TO Posted: December 09, 2010 at 05:39 PM (#3706873)
I'm not too happy about the Jays losing Emaus, but I must admit that I can't really point out to people who should have been left off the Toronto 40 man in order to be able to protect him - especially considering he probably can't stick defensively at 2B, and he probably can't hit enough to play 3B.
   5. Boileryard Posted: December 09, 2010 at 05:50 PM (#3706891)
I'm not too happy about the Jays losing Emaus, but I must admit that I can't really point out to people who should have been left off the Toronto 40 man in order to be able to protect him - especially considering he probably can't stick defensively at 2B, and he probably can't hit enough to play 3B.

My theory is that this was probably the best way for the Blue Jays to keep Emaus. If Emaus had been added to the 40-man roster, there was a good chance he'd be lost on waivers if the Blue Jays needed a roster spot, and any team that claimed him could simply send him to the minors. By leaving him exposed in the Rule 5 draft, the Blue Jays at least have a chance to get him back if the Mets decide they can't keep him for the entire year.

With 7-man bullpens, it's harder for teams to carry around a bench player who might not be ready yet. Of the 19 guys selected in the Rule 5 draft this year, only three are position players.
   6. Sam M. Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:00 PM (#3706903)
I love that the Mets picked Emaus. I hoped they would as soon as I saw he was available. Nice power, excellent strike zone judgment. He might be a liability defensively, but given that among our options are Castillo (who can't play the position any more), Murphy (who is just barely starting to learn to play the position now), and Tejada (who can't hit even though he can play the position) -- I'd say putting Emaus into the mix and maybe letting him show he's the best option for 2011, at least, is an excellent move.

And Beato, huh? It looks to me like (maybe) converting him to the bullpen might have found him a home. Sure seems worth a Rule 5 pick to find out -- a second chance on a guy the Mets failed to sign in the 2005 draft.
   7. BK Arbour Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:01 PM (#3706906)
Opinions on Aneury Rodriguez to Houston. His stat line shows a good strikeout rate, but some wildness. Still, someone with some potential, and someone who would not look out of place in the Astros bullpen (if not 5th starter) this year.

But, the Rays have big needs in their bullpen this year. Why didn't Rodriguez make their 40 with the potential to make the bullpen out of Spring Training/when someone goes on the DL.
   8. RJ in TO Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:14 PM (#3706923)
Sam, that nice power should be taken with a grain of salt. Las Vegas doesn't exactly play like a normal park.

Which isn't to say that he couldn't still be useful to the Mets.
   9. Sam M. Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:22 PM (#3706931)
Sam, that nice power should be taken with a grain of salt. Las Vegas doesn't exactly play like a normal park.

I didn't say he's Dan Uggla. But the kid's had double-digit home runs every full season he's played in the minors, including the not-very-hitter-friendly Eastern League in 2009. He's also averaged 30 doubles. So that's not bad. Like I said . . . nice power. For a second baseman. Again, looked at in the context of the Mets' options? I like the pick a lot.
   10. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:24 PM (#3706933)
Pretty meh on Adcock for the Royals. He's tall, which Dayton likes and I guess he has an okay curveball, but I don't really see him sticking.

I predict Elvin Ramirez is the best of this bunch at the end of the year. I like him, Diamond, Aneury Rodriguez and Josh Rodriguez to stick.
   11. thetailor (Brian) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:33 PM (#3706946)
Odds that Emaus is our second baseman on Opening Day? 50/50? I like him a lot.

I was disturbed to see however that his nice line at Las Vegas only translates to a .229/.311/.369 line at Citi Field. Yes, I checked it twice (doesn't mean I didn't do it wrong twice).

http://minorleaguesplits.com/mlecalc.html
   12. Sam M. Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:38 PM (#3706953)
I predict Elvin Ramirez is the best of this bunch at the end of the year.

A 22 year old at St. Lucie (barely got to Binghamton for a few innings), who can't throw strikes to save his life? He has an arm, no doubt, and it's always possible that the Mets' organizational problems are a big part of his problems, and that in a different system he'll make a Great Leap Forward. But I sure don't mind the trade of this guy for Beato.
   13. geonose Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:43 PM (#3706964)

Yep. It's the Rule 5 draft.

Anbody else surprised no one took Wynn Pelzer?
   14. Nasty Nate Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:45 PM (#3706966)

V means 5. Just my II cents.
   15. Mark Edward Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:50 PM (#3706973)
I don't think Kenny Williams has taken one player in the ML portion of the draft since he took over the team in 2000. He hasn't lost much either (Jay Marshall was one, Fernando Hernandez & Oneli Perez were others I think).

It would've been nice to see them take a reliever, considering they have like 4 bullpen spots still open.
   16. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 09, 2010 at 06:57 PM (#3706980)
I'm not too happy about the Jays losing Emaus

I was disturbed to see however that his nice line at Las Vegas only translates to a .229/.311/.369 line at Citi Field. Yes, I checked it twice (doesn't mean I didn't do it wrong twice).

You do know that the PCL hit .277/.348/.432 and Vegas has a park multiplier of 107????
IOW he played in a 5.6 r/g environment
IOW Emaus' 2010 was nowhere near as good as, oh, Justin Turner's...
   17. Sam M. Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:11 PM (#3706992)
IOW Emaus' 2010 was nowhere near as good as, oh, Justin Turner's...

But Emaus has had good, productive seasons before 2010, you know. Excellent strike zone judgment, reasonable pop. He didn't suddenly come out of nowhere and do something way out of character in 2010 because of Las Vegas.

As for Turner, he doesn't have anything like the consistent record of minor league success prior to 2010 that Emaus has had. It's not just 2010 that makes me take a more positive view of Emaus. It's the fact that Turner hasn't had as strong a track record.

But hey -- you want to throw Turner into the mix for 2011? OK by me.
   18. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:19 PM (#3706998)

A 22 year old at St. Lucie (barely got to Binghamton for a few innings), who can't throw strikes to save his life? He has an arm, no doubt, and it's always possible that the Mets' organizational problems are a big part of his problems, and that in a different system he'll make a Great Leap Forward. But I sure don't mind the trade of this guy for Beato.

Yep. I mean the thing is, none of these guys are very good - there's a reason they're unprotected. You're looking for someone that can show talent in a skill - Ramirez throw very, very hard - and you hope you can polish out their many flaws. Scouts say he's really harnessed his control this winter, and if he can do that, he's got a great shot at sticking.

Emaus looks nice, but I think his defensive limitations will make it hard for him to stay. He basically has to hit his way on the roster, which prior to going to Vegas, he was only mediocre at. Infielders just seem to have a tough time sticking unless they're speedy or gifted defensively, and even then, they often fail to stay. But hey, he's a nice pick for a team like the Mets with an obvious need. You never know, he could go all Uggla on you.
   19. Craig in MN Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:20 PM (#3706999)

I get this wrong every time....I just don't care enough to remember which it is. I'm happy for anyone who know the correct way and shares that.
   20. Hack Wilson Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:25 PM (#3707003)
The Cubs traded Tobin to the Rangers. Good news for Texas since that's how Josh Hamilton made it to the Reds.
Apparently the Cubs only got cash for Josh Hamilton. What for Tobin?
   21. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:40 PM (#3707017)
Don't use http://minorleaguesplits.com/mlecalc.html - the results are too pessimistic (among other things). On a related note ... sigh, I miss that site.

FWIW, Emaus' defensive stats surpass his rep - they suggest he'd be adequate (though not good) on D.

Pelzer: I said in the other thread that he was the only guy that I thought would go (50-55% chance) but didn't.

The only AAA phase guy who jumped out at me was Heath Rollins, who has shown flashes of being able to contribute as a long man / 5th starter (not last year, though).
   22. FrankM Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:41 PM (#3707018)

I call it the Rule Five draft
   23. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: December 09, 2010 at 07:45 PM (#3707029)
I CALL IT THE 00110101 DRAFT
ERROR
DOES NOT COMPUTE
   24. The Keith Law Blog Blah Blah (battlekow) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 08:05 PM (#3707054)
I know some Brewers fans were hoping Emaus wouldn't be taken so that he could be the PTBNL in the Villanueva trade.

Adrian Rosario is a decent under-the-radar prospect, as you can see from his strikeout rate, but I don't think he has much of a chance to stick at the MLB level yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on Pat Egan?
   25. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 09, 2010 at 08:09 PM (#3707055)
But Emaus has had good, productive seasons before 2010, you know. Excellent strike zone judgment, reasonable pop. He didn't suddenly come out of nowhere and do something way out of character in 2010 because of Las Vegas.

As for Turner, he doesn't have anything like the consistent record of minor league success prior to 2010 that Emaus has had.

I think you want to re-look at their records:

Emaus hit
.228/.298/.316
.302/.380/.463
.253/.336/.376 and
.290/.397/.476
for a .276/.364/.426 career

Turner has hit:
.338/.411/.511
.307/.369/.436
.298/.367/.418
.300/.362/.388 and
.316/.374/.487
for a .309/.373/.442 career
aside from 2010, they've played in similar run environments

Now Turner is a year older, but basically I see Turner as having at least a slight edge with the bat- which means whoever's better comes down to dee- and I don't really know enough to opine on either man's- except anecdotally neither is regarded as a gloveman.

Seems a might bit redundant, but then again I'd take my chances with either over Castillo's
unfrozen corpse
   26. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 09, 2010 at 08:13 PM (#3707061)
But hey -- you want to throw Turner into the mix for 2011? OK by me.

Tuner, Emaus, Russ freaking Adams, Josh Satin, Reese ("Candyglass") Havens...

I mean 2B at Citifield in 2010 was such a bottomless abyss of suck...
   27. Elvis Posted: December 09, 2010 at 08:14 PM (#3707064)
The "Rule 5" tag comes from its place in the Professional Baseball Agreement. The June draft is Rule 4.

Roman numerals are used in the PBA but they are for articles. Article V contains the Uniform Player Rules.
   28. formerly dp Posted: December 09, 2010 at 08:26 PM (#3707076)
Alderson seems like the type to just run Emaus and Turner out there regardless of their struggles with the bat/glove, while letting Havens and Tejada develop. That would make me very happy, especially if it meant the end of L. Castillo on the roster.
   29. MM1f Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:14 PM (#3707145)
Alderson seems like the type to just run Emaus and Turner out there regardless of their struggles with the bat/glove, while letting Havens and Tejada develop. That would make me very happy, especially if it meant the end of L. Castillo on the roster.

I've seen Emaus and Havens to be basically the same player for awhile now. If Emaus has really chubbed up and slowed down I might prefer Havens a bit at this point but they've both always been decent but fringey average-hit, average-field 2bmen for me.

I don't know how Reese Havens went 22 overall, even if he finally figured some things out his Jr. year.
   30. SoSH U at work Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:17 PM (#3707152)
I call it the Ruhle, V. draft.
   31. Nasty Nate Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:25 PM (#3707170)
V = 5, so Rule V = Rule 5, what am I missing?
   32. geonose Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:25 PM (#3707171)
Don't use http://minorleaguesplits.com/mlecalc.html - the results are too pessimistic (among other things). On a related note ... sigh, I miss that site.

Is their any site out there that approximates what they do? If so please share. I can find some splits on MiLB's website, but they are incomplete and only shown for the current team. B-Ref and FanGraphs have virtually none.
   33. geonose Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:29 PM (#3707180)
V = 5, so Rule V = Rule 5, what am I missing?

Well, the Professional Baseball Agreement is a legal document, and there is a Rule 5 and a Rule V and they are very different. As stated earlier, V is the Uniform Player Rules. 5 is in the drafting section. If you are going to refer to a section of a legal document, best to refer to the correct section.
   34. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:35 PM (#3707190)
Is Rule V the one where Khan double-crosses everyone or the one where Spock and Kirk go camping?
   35. formerly dp Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:52 PM (#3707212)
I've seen Emaus and Havens to be basically the same player for awhile now. If Emaus has really chubbed up and slowed down I might prefer Havens a bit at this point but they've both always been decent but fringey average-hit, average-field 2bmen for me.

Havens looks a bit better. But that aside, I think Alderson is making all of the right noise now- Mejia and Tejada will be at AAA to start the season. I know Sam's down on Tejada's chances long-term, but I don't think it could hurt to give him some development time and see if he can become a useful major league player. And with what Alderson has said about Reyes, it may be that he views Tejada as a potential cheap replacement-- his bat would play better at SS than at 2B.
   36. Gotham Dave Posted: December 09, 2010 at 09:55 PM (#3707216)
I have a friend who kept calling Fallout 3 "FIII" in IM conversations and it drove me nuts.
   37. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:14 PM (#3707241)
Jonathan Mayo review of Rule 5 Draft with some quotes from GMs on the role they see for their draftees.

Kevin Goldstein gives brief scouting reports on selections.
   38. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:14 PM (#3707242)
Is their any site out there that approximates what they do? If so please share. I can find some splits on MiLB's website, but they are incomplete and only shown for the current team. B-Ref and FanGraphs have virtually none.
No - I miss it dearly.

I don't like Egan - all he has is size and an ability to get grounders, right?
   39. formerly dp Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:16 PM (#3707246)
I have a friend who kept calling Fallout 3 "FIII" in IM conversations and it drove me nuts.

So Fallout: NV= Fallout: New 5?
   40. bads85 Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:24 PM (#3707252)
Why would Seattle take a flyer on a guy who hasn't even made it to A+ ball yet?
   41. geonose Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:27 PM (#3707256)
Page 1 of 1 pages

Well...Joakim Soria never pitched above Low A ball, and he turned out OK.
   42. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:28 PM (#3707257)
Also the Joakim Soria of the National League, Evan Meek.
   43. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: December 09, 2010 at 10:41 PM (#3707278)
Johan Santana had never even made it to high A ball when he was taken.
   44. Walt Davis Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:13 PM (#3707323)
Josh Rodriguez? Josh? Rodriguez? They are wondrous times.

Anyway, is it possible the Pirates now have a SS on their roster who's better than I am?
   45. Sam M. Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:45 PM (#3707361)
I know Sam's down on Tejada's chances long-term, but I don't think it could hurt to give him some development time and see if he can become a useful major league player.

Well, yes and no. I think his chances are only long-term. Right now, he can't hit nearly enough to be a major leaguer, and the Mets wasted the year he could & should have been developing in the minors allowing him to struggle in the majors. (Of course, some others put faith in his last month, where he hit well, but I just don't.) I am somewhere between agnostic and skeptical on whether he can grow into becoming a real player, but I am certainly glad they are adding players for 2B to make it more likely that Tejada will not be needed at the major league level, and thus have time to spend in the minors where I think he belongs.

As for the comparison (# 25) between Emaus and Turner, I was probably a bit too negative about Turner. But as for Emaus, I think too much emphasis might be being given here to the claim that he was somehow a product of Las Vegas. He hit very well for a 21 year old, middle infielder in the FSL in 2008. No PCL/Las Vegas effect there. He did struggle some in 2009 in AA (New Hampshire, EL), but even there he had a good W/K ratio, and showed some pop. When he started in New Hampshire again the first part of '10, his numbers were very good -- much improved over what they'd been in 2009.

The point is, you can look at that record and see a guy with an interesting, not atypical, and somewhat promising development curve: nice first full season in A ball, hits a speed bump at AA, then emerges on the other side of that a stronger player for having gone through the struggle. In any case, it's a guy I'm glad they took a shot on, and I'll be rooting for him.

I definitely think that Havens is better, though, if he can stay healthy. On this, however, I have no illusions. Only hopes.
   46. Mash Wilson Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:10 AM (#3707393)
My first reaction was "What? No chance Josh Rodriguez sticks all year in the majors, what are they thinking?" Then I calmed down and realized, oh, he's probably going to be their opening day shortstop. There go my hopes and dreams for Ronny Cedeno...
   47. Mike Emeigh Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:34 AM (#3707429)
Some comments:

Josh Rodriguez can hit, but I'm not sure about his defensive position, and there have been some questions floating around about his work ethic; he missed most of 2009 with a hamstring injury that (by some reports) shouldn't have been bad enough to keep him off the field that long.

Anuery Rodriguez is a pretty generic righty; the times I've seen him pitch I have been unimpressed. If someone found out he's older than his reported age I wouldn't be surprised.

Baltimore picked up Casey Lambert in the AAA phase. Lambert's a small lefty who had TJ surgery and missed a good chunk of last year, but who when healthy possesses a decent fastball and an excellent curve - plus he's a battler. If he's 100% he could help the Orioles at some point.

Lance Pendleton could be a good pickup for the Astros. He's been buried in the Yankees' organization, usually old for his levels, but his stuff is pretty good and he's had decent success with it.

-- MWE
   48. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:39 AM (#3707433)
there have been some questions floating around about his work ethic; he missed most of 2009 with a hamstring injury that (by some reports) shouldn't have been bad enough to keep him off the field that long

Ah, that's interesting. Tony at IPI had posted some info about Indians personnel making negative remarks about Rodriguez's character, and I wondered what they were referring to.
   49. Mike Emeigh Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:47 AM (#3707442)
I don't like Egan - all he has is size and an ability to get grounders, right?

Some guys have succeeded with less. I'm not a huge Egan fan either, but throwing grounders is a nice skill to have.

Joakim Soria never pitched above Low A ball, and he turned out OK.

Flores is no Soria.

-- MWE
   50. Sam M. Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:48 AM (#3707445)
Callis, Manuel, and Eddy liked Emaus best of the three position players drafted in the major league phase in a podcast they did at BA today. They all agreed he has the best chance to stick. FWIW.

EDIT:

They liked Scott Diamond among the pitchers, by the way.
   51. zenbitz Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:58 AM (#3707457)
Idiot. Fallout III is FO:3
   52. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 10, 2010 at 02:41 AM (#3707530)
[Caveat: I'm biased in favor of the low-upside, more polished candidates in these drafts. There are very good reasons why that's not wise but, nonetheless, that's part of where I'm coming from.]

The BA wrap-up podcast: I thought they were too down on Rodriguez's bat myself (and not just 'cause I sort of touted him on the site a few days back), both from a tools perspective and even (if I heard correctly) getting his stats wrong (he slugged .486 in 317 AB in Columbus, a stronger accomplishment than it sounds). I like Emaus better for, say, 2014 if I'm looking for a future regular, but Rodriguez is more likely to be able to contribute today. I doubt he'll ever be a starting shortstop in this league, but he can handle it in short stints and the bat is okay. He's just an okay guy to have around (presuming he doesn't bust) and will be one for a very low wage for a few years. Nothing wrong with that.

Similarly, I've long liked Aneury as a 5th starter who could become a 3rd or 4th if something clicks.

Agree on Lambert, Mike. As for Pendleton, he's a guy who's never been more than a name for me (which is saying something), but I think I've been wrong about, should have paid more attention.

Egan/"Some guys have succeeded with less."
Oh sure - and this is a class of pitchers I don't think my track record is great on. Still, I wouldn't have picked him.

I'm glad you mentioned the IPI, Vlad - that site/Tony is great.
   53. bookbook Posted: December 10, 2010 at 03:35 AM (#3707556)
Yep. And there's no such word as ginormous, or internet, or refudiate (at least the spellchecker agrees with me on that last one... for maybe the next fifteen minutes).

Language is a medium of communication. Everybody who follows baseball much knows what the "rule V draft" is. Many fewer would recognize the "rule five draft" as quickly.
   54. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: December 10, 2010 at 03:43 AM (#3707565)
Not news to most here, I bet, but criticizing people for saying 'Rule V' instead 'Rule 5' is an annual tradition, and a guaranteed part of any Rule 5 drinking games, I'm sure. If, heaven forbid, they exist.
   55. Best Dressed Chicken in Town Posted: December 10, 2010 at 04:05 AM (#3707591)
I call it the Ruhle, V. draft.

Well played.

the AAA phase

What is this? I've often heard of it but I don't know how it works. Who is eligible to be chosen, are there rules for keeping them, etc?
   56. BK Arbour Posted: December 10, 2010 at 03:10 PM (#3707917)
Thanks for the comments on Aneury and Pendleton. As an Astros fan, it's hard to know how to react when you think they've made a good move. It's unusual not to think "What a giant ball of suck."
   57. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 10, 2010 at 03:39 PM (#3707940)
Callis, Manuel, and Eddy liked Emaus best of the three position players drafted in the major league phase in a podcast they did at BA today. They all agreed he has the best chance to stick. FWIW.

Mets 2Bs combined for negative 1.7 WAR last year.

Not a very high bar
OK, 2010, AAA, 3b/ss, 150+ ABs, ranked by OPS+:
Name     Age    ops+
1    Neil_Walker    24    162
2    Steve_Tolleson    26    144
3    Luis_Rodriguez    30    130
4    Justin_Turner    25    129
5    Edward_Lucas    28    128
6    Scott_Sizemore    25    128
7    Robert_Phelps    23    128
8    Donnie_Murphy    27    125
9    Elliot_Johnson    26    122
10    Josh_Rodriguez    25    122
11    Ryan_Rohlinger    26    121
12    Bobby_Scales    32    120
13    Brad_Emaus    24    120
14    Jim_Negrych    25    120
15    Mike_McCoy    29    119
16    Gookie_Dawkins    31    116
17    Jarrett_Hoffpauir    27    115
18    Will_Rhymes    27    115
19    Eric_Sogard    24    114
20    Russ_Adams    29    112 

now here's AA:
1    David_Adams    23    159
2    Jason_Kipnis    23    141
3    Tim_Torres    26    139
4    Joshua_Satin    25    133
5    Jason_Van_Kooten    25    125
6    Andrew_Parrino    24    124
7    Matthew_Lawson    24    123
8    Ryan_Adams    23    123
9    Joshua_Johnson    24    122
10    Matthew_Lawson    24    119
11    Tony_Thomas    23    118
12    Andrew_Romine    24    115
13    Osvaldo_Martinez    22    114
14    Danny_Espinosa    23    113
15    Brett_Lawrie    20    112
16    Jaime_Pedroza    23    112
17    Yamaico_Navarro    22    110
18    Luis_Hernandez    26    110
19    Dustin_Ackley    22    110
20    Logan_Forsythe    23    108 

Emaus EL OPS+ was 129 in 136 ABs

A+:
1    Andy_Cumberland    21    160
2    Alden_Carrithers    25    159
3    Harold_Garcia    23    157
4    Travis_Denker    24    152
5    Joshua_Satin    25    148
6    Brock_Holt    22    142
7    Corban_Joseph    21    140
8    Jason_Kipnis    23    139
9    Cody_Puckett    23    134
10    Grant_Green    22    130
11    James_Skelton    24    129
12    Albert_Cartwright    22    128
13    Chris_Gutierrez    26    127
14    Thomas_Field    23    127
15    Oscar_Tejeda    20    126
16    Matthew_Cline    24    122
17    Stephen_Figueroa    23    122
18    Davis_Stoneburner    25    120
19    Mycal_Jones    23    119
20    Kyle_Seager    22    119 

A:
1    Rick_Hague    21    164
2    Corey_Jones    22    152
3    Jeremy_Barnes    23    151
4    Tyler_Bortnick    22    142
5    Tyler_Saladino    20    140
6    Robbie_Shields    22    137
7    Jose_Altuve    20    135
8    Christian_Lara    25    133
9    Wilmer_Flores    18    131
10    Nick_Franklin    19    131
11    Ryan_Cavan    23    129
12    Ryan_Gennett    20    129
13    Dean_Anna    23    127
14    Conner_Crumbliss    23    126
15    Devin_Goodwin    23    125
16    Philip_Gosselin    21    124
17    Ryan_Goins    22    123
18    Henry_Rodriguez    20    122
19    Jason_Stidham    22    120
20    Travis_Adair    22    119 
   58. geonose Posted: December 10, 2010 at 04:58 PM (#3708031)
Johnny, I can't find OPS+ for minor leaguers (where is it?), but quick and dirty calculation tells me that if Johnny Giavotella isn't on your AA leaderboard for 2010 that you have missed something somewhere.
   59. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: December 10, 2010 at 09:23 PM (#3708248)
Johnny, I can't find OPS+ for minor leaguers (where is it?),

I calculated it- player OBP/SLG, league OBP/SLG and the 2010 minor league park multipliers Szym posted a couple of monthe ago

but quick and dirty calculation tells me that if Johnny Giavotella isn't on your AA leaderboard for 2010 that you have missed something somewhere.

Yessiree, I missed something allright- I had Giavotella as a "b", not a 1b, 2b or 3b....

His OPS+ was 127
which makes him 5th in the AA (and yes 1 through 4 are OLDER than he is.)
   60. Der Komminsk-sar Posted: December 10, 2010 at 09:40 PM (#3708260)
AAA phase - What is this? I've often heard of it but I don't know how it works. Who is eligible to be chosen, are there rules for keeping them, etc?

Similar to the major league phase (wrt previous accrued service time) except that these are guys not on the 40-man -or- on the AAA affiliate's 38 man roster (so, 78 guys are protected). Picks cost 12K and there is no requirement to keep them at the AAA level (play them anywhere in your system that you want). Accordingly, there's no mechanism to send picks you don't want back. There's also a AA phase (picks cost 4K) but not many guys get tabbed here 'cause, really, you're only making someone available here if you'd rather have $4,000 than the player in your system (teams always have loads of available AA roster spots). Truthfully, most teams have open AAA roster spots too - as a general rule, teams are okay with losing those guys (I think Seattle was the only club that filled their AAA roster this year - though I'm sure some teams would have protected an extra guy or three were it not for wanting flexibility to sign minor league free agents before the draft).
Virtually no one of interest comes out of the AAA phase - Scott Podsednik is the most famous guy from that phase I can think of offhand.
   61. formerly dp Posted: December 10, 2010 at 09:44 PM (#3708262)
The point is, you can look at that record and see a guy with an interesting, not atypical, and somewhat promising development curve: nice first full season in A ball, hits a speed bump at AA, then emerges on the other side of that a stronger player for having gone through the struggle. In any case, it's a guy I'm glad they took a shot on, and I'll be rooting for him.

It seems a little like when the Nats grabbed Flores, except Flores actually had a better rep with the glove and was less proven with the bat. But they really had nothing to lose by playing him at C given their other options.

Have you heard anything about their plans for Tejada? Is he going back to SS? I get the sense this is our last season to watch Reyes in a Met uni, but I hope I'm wrong. Jose seems like a different player now than he was in 2007-08-- he didn't look like he was having fun this year. Maybe it's just all of the ink...
   62. spycake Posted: December 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM (#3708290)
Virtually no one of interest comes out of the AAA phase - Scott Podsednik is the most famous guy from that phase I can think of offhand.

Brian Buscher, former Twins 3B, was another guy taken in the minor-league phase of the Rule 5 draft.
   63. AJMcCringleberry Posted: December 10, 2010 at 11:32 PM (#3708347)

I was going to make a joke about them needing a clean up hitter, then I noticed they took a pitcher.
   64. The Keith Law Blog Blah Blah (battlekow) Posted: December 11, 2010 at 01:35 AM (#3708412)

I will always be Steve Bray's biggest fan.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.