Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, October 28, 2012

2012 World Series Game 4 OMNICHATTER

Remember the 2012 season? It started over in Japan, and, like, it was between the Mariners and the Athletics, and nobody really gave a darn, since OBVIOUSLY neither of them would be in the playoff picture? And remember when Matt Cain threw that perfect game, and the Orioles made the playoffs, and Josh Hamilton went deep four times in one night? And the Red Sox drama! And… and…

Well, this might be it… OR WILL IT?!?

San Francisco Giants (Cain) @ Detroit Tigers (Scherzer). SF leads 3-0.

Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:07 AM | 692 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: world series

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›
   1. VoodooR Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:20 AM (#4285750)
This World Series has been a real letdown so far, and I don't have much hope for that changing.

The Giants' rotund slugger has completely outplayed the Tigers' rotund slugger, that is for sure.
   2. tshipman Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:41 AM (#4285752)
This World Series has been a real letdown so far

Disagree. It's been pretty great, actually.
   3. vortex of dissipation Posted: October 28, 2012 at 03:28 AM (#4285753)
And the Giants take Game One of the Japan Series. We could have the MLB and NPB champions with the same nicknames...
   4. Bhaakon Posted: October 28, 2012 at 03:47 AM (#4285754)
The Giants' rotund slugger has completely outplayed the Tigers' rotund slugger, that is for sure.

I'm not sure that the same adjective should be used to describe their relative size. Having seen so much Fielder in this series, I'm downgrading Pablo like so much Pluto.
   5. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:14 AM (#4285756)
This World Series has been a real letdown so far

Disagree. It's been pretty great, actually.

If you're a Giants fan or hate runs being scored, sure. Everyone else sees it for what it is: a pathetic sham. What a way to end a baseball season. Sad.
   6. Bhaakon Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:39 AM (#4285757)
If you're a Giants fan or hate runs being scored, sure. Everyone else sees it for what it is: a pathetic sham. What a way to end a baseball season. Sad.

Shouldn't have invited 88 win teams in the first place.
   7. Greg K Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:59 AM (#4285758)
In the spirit of the intro...

I just saw Knuckleball last week. It was a pretty interesting movie. It got me thinking, that I'd definitely watch a feature length documentary on the 2012 season. Someone should make that for me.
   8. A Dying Soul Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:10 AM (#4285760)
I think its been a great series...some great defense, a 3 hr game, Zito, Bumgarner and Vogelsong coming up huge. Today's game was great, that Blanco catch was amazing and Crawford had a great game.
   9. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:44 AM (#4285763)
If you're a Giants fan or hate runs being scored, sure.

I do hate runs being scored and, yes, I find it awesome. Though, all seriousness, I prefer great pitching to great hitting, and this postseason's had a whole lot of the former.
   10. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:59 AM (#4285764)
And the Giants take Game One of the Japan Series. We could have the MLB and NPB champions with the same nicknames...
And the NFL Champions. I'm betting we've never had that before.
   11. Flynn Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:37 AM (#4285772)
I doubt too many SF Giants fans are pleased that's the case.
   12. S.F. Giangst Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:40 AM (#4285773)
This made the rounds today:

Vogelsong joins Christy Mathewson as only pitchers to start their postseason careers four consecutive starts of five or more innings giving up one run or less.

Yeah, except per BBREF...

Vogelsong 24.2 IP, 3-0, 0.823 WPA
Matthewson 36 IP [4CG, 3SHO], 4-0, 1.962 WPA

There's really good and then there's no freaking way it ever happens again good.
   13. S.F. Giangst Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:54 AM (#4285775)
Anagram fun: San Francisco Dynasty = Nosy Cynics Stand Afar
   14. dr. scott Posted: October 28, 2012 at 09:58 AM (#4285785)
Well If Detroit can win today, I think there will be a game 6, and things will start to get really tense. Unfortunately I will not really have time to watch baseball come Monday, so I have to hope for a Giants win today.
   15. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: October 28, 2012 at 09:59 AM (#4285786)
Shouldn't have invited 88 win teams in the first place.

Are we agreed that the 2012 Tigers are the worst World Series team ever, both in regular-season record and actual WS performance? I mean, there's the '73 Mets, the team everyone loves to hate, but at least they took the A's to a Game 7. There's the dreadful 2006 Cardinals, but they actually WON the damn Series (against who, I can't quite recall).

But the '12 Tigers? They manage to win the worst division in MLB, and only because the White Sox collapsed. They squeak by Oakland, in five games, and only after doing their level best to blow it. Then they beat the Yankees, who only did the most horrific face-plant in baseball history. (Or maybe all of sports history: only the 1940 Redskins come close.) The Tigers win the pennant? How could they not?

And now this? 2-0? 2-0 again?! Who gets shutout in consecutive World Series games? That hasn't happened since 19-freakin'-66, when pitchers reigned supreme, and the only way to score runs was to swing your caveman club, run twenty miles around the bases, then somehow get past the brontosaurus standing in front of home plate. People, it's bad.

As a kid, I used wonder when we would send the first man to Mars. Now, I realize that it's not going to happen in my lifetime. Hell, we haven't even sent anyone to the moon in 40 years, and that's not happening again anytime soon, either. This country, this colossus, used to go places and do things. Now we go nowhere and do nothing, and blame each other for it. Great.

I remember celebrating a Tigers World Championship 28 years ago. It was great. What I didn't realize is that it was a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Great.
   16. Joey B.: posting for the kids of northeast Ohio Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:03 AM (#4285787)
Imagine how they feel in Cleveland.
   17. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:09 AM (#4285790)
I'm a Cubs fan. Cry me a river.
   18. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM (#4285793)
Imagine how they feel in Cleveland.

I'm a Cubs fan. Cry me a river.

The eternal conundrum: is it worse to totally suck, or make it to the near-pinnacle and then suck? (My cousin, the Buffalo Bills fan, no doubt has a few words to say on the subject.)
   19. Lassus Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM (#4285795)
Everyone else Grumpy drama queen Tigers fan sees it for what it is: a pathetic sham.
   20. Ivan Grushenko of Hong Kong Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM (#4285796)
It's worse to totally suck. As an A's fan this has been a much better season than the past 5 of total suck.
   21. bunyon Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM (#4285797)
It isn't a conundrum. It's worse to totally suck. If you weren't such a damned pessimist, you'd have had the warmth of enjoying winning a pennant in a sweep of the Yankees. Instead, you chose to immediately start kvetching about how you were going to lose the Series.

Lighten up, dude.
   22. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:19 AM (#4285798)
Grumpy drama queen Tigers fan

Oh, please. I'm a model of restraint compared to what I'm seeing on the Tigers boards this morning. (And I live in New York: wanna know what people are saying on the sports-talk stations? Yow.)
   23. bunyon Posted: October 28, 2012 at 10:35 AM (#4285807)
If you're having to reach to Yankee fandom to defend yourself, you're doing something wrong.
   24. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:02 AM (#4285824)
Grumpy drama queen Tigers fan

I'mn hereby launching a petition drive to insist RMc make this his handle.
   25. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:33 AM (#4285849)
Has RMC always been this delightful or did I just start noticing it after Valverde's blown save in the DS?
   26. The Ghost's Tryin' to Reason with Hurricane Season Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:44 AM (#4285854)
I had totally forgotten that the season started in Japan with Seattle and Oakland. Seems like years ago.

(And I live in New York: wanna know what people are saying on the sports-talk stations? Yow.)

I honestly don't know for sure. Football talk? Please tell me.
   27. dr. scott Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:45 AM (#4285855)
Well, if it were another teams collapse (Yankees, red sox, mets, cards, giants), there would be 5-10 people posting the same type of thing. It's not his fault there are not as many tiger fans here.
   28. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM (#4285861)
Are we agreed that the 2012 Tigers are the worst World Series team ever, both in regular-season record and actual WS performance?

This team has Miguel Cabrera, Prince Fielder, and Justin Verlander. Surely there has been a worse club.
   29. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: October 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4285863)
Has RMC always been this delightful

Indeed!

(And I live in New York: wanna know what people are saying on the sports-talk stations? Yow.)

I honestly don't know for sure.

They're still b!tching about the Yankees. Still. The main topic du jour: should Girardi be merely fired, or ritualistically disemboweled at home plate? (I'd watch.)

Well, if it were another teams collapse (Yankees, red sox, mets, cards, giants), there would be 5-10 people posting the same type of thing. It's not his fault there are not as many tiger fans here.

Well, there's me, there's Vaux, there's Sugar Bear, and, um...

30. Random Transaction Generator Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:00 PM (#4285871)
The eternal conundrum: is it worse to totally suck, or make it to the near-pinnacle and then suck? (My cousin, the Buffalo Bills fan, no doubt has a few words to say on the subject.)

As a fan of the Buffalo Bills, it was much more enjoyable when they were getting to the Super Bowl. Yes, it hurt to lose when you got there, but you had 16 regular season games and a couple playoff ones to enjoy along the way.

As a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs, I cling to 4 seasons in the past 32 where the team made the semi-finals. Not the finals, the semi-finals. That's all I've got to look at, and it hurts. It really sucks because they haven't even been competitive for the past 7 years. And an extra layer of pain is the knowledge that this used to be a great franchise.
   31. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM (#4285888)
SBB is a Tigers fan? His utter disdain and borderline obsession with Theo Epstein had me thinking he was a Red Sox fan.
   32. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:21 PM (#4285889)
In my years of being a Rockies fan, the 2007 season was easily the most fun I've had, followed by the 2009 season, even though both ended in ignominious postseason losses. I'm sure Lisa would say the same thing about the 2005 Astros, or BDC about the 2010-11 Rangers.

No fan in their right mind would trade getting swept in the World Series for a nice, peaceful 79-83 season.
   33. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:39 PM (#4285904)
No fan in their right mind would trade getting swept in the World Series for a nice, peaceful 79-83 season.

Agreed.
I was disappointed the A's didn't win it all - I'm absolutely certain they were the best team to reach the LDS in either league - but they came out of nowhere, were exciting, and I had some of the best baseball-watching experiences of my life watching them this season (the late-season win against the Orioles, a well-played late-game one-run game on Star Wars Fireworks Night in front of a packed house, was absolutely the best thing ever). I just can't find all that much to complain about. Even when they were still in it, somewhere in the back of my mind I knew no matter what happened, November 2 I still have to get up and go to work. Nothing really changes; might as well be happy with the season I had - and I am.
   34. BDC Posted: October 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM (#4285922)
the 2010-11 Rangers

Indeed I would, Tom. Following the Rangers back in the years when they had "never played a meaningful game in September" was patience-trying.
   35. dr. scott Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:26 PM (#4285951)
As one of the folks giving the As a standing ovation while Detroit was celebrating I agree completely.

Also, I grew up in Atlanta and there was a Parade downtown after they LOST to the Twins in 1991. Over 2 million people showed for the parade. It shut down the transit system. That being said, 6-10 years into the run they cannot sell out a playoff game. Fandom is fickle, and expectations change. Happiness is rarely gauged on any sort of absolute scale. I just wish the fickleness had started earlier in Atlanta so I could have gone to a playoff game there.

36. Monty Predicts a Padres-Mariners WS in 2016 Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:32 PM (#4285961)
In my years of being a Rockies fan, the 2007 season was easily the most fun I've had, followed by the 2009 season, even though both ended in ignominious postseason losses. I'm sure Lisa would say the same thing about the 2005 Astros, or BDC about the 2010-11 Rangers.

Same for me with the 1984 Padres.
   37. TomH Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:37 PM (#4285969)
RMc, 15: why would use only the regular season record and WS performance to judge the "worst world series team ever"? The other 2 playoff rounds don't count? You give the Tigers zero credit for getting past Oakland and NY (as opposed to, say, a team before '69 that jumped right in to the WS)? Is regular season W-L more impt than regular season runs scored and allowed? The Tigers are a much better team than the 73 Mets were, better than the 87 Twins who lucked and homerdomed their way to a win. Oh, and by the way, the Series does not seem to be over yet, so no, I don't think we can all agree.

They certainly have played poorly for 3 games, tho, if that's what you mean. Kind of like the other recent Tigger WS entry.

38. TomH Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:51 PM (#4285985)
oh, and they really didn't play that poorly in game 3. The pitching was awesome; 12 KOs and 1 walk. The hitters drew 5 walks and KOed 8 times. So a few more Giants' balls in play found holes and scored 2 runs, while the Tigers hit a few at'ems that were DPs. SF scored 2 more runs, but really Detroit may have 'played' better.
   39. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:56 PM (#4285993)
CHECKLIST (taking suggestions):
Conradian play [ ] (COLLECTIVE CONRADIAN CATASTROPHE [ ] )
Web Gem [ ]
1-2-3-4-5-6 inning [ ]
Strike out of side [ ] (1-2-3 SO of side [ ])
Baserunning blunder [ ]
Bases loaded, nobody scores in the inning [ ]
It rains [ ] (rain delay [])
Dramatic late-inning homer [ ]
Ad for a movie that hasn't been advertised yet this postseason [ ]
Starter warms up in bullpen [ ] (Postseason starter warms up [ ])
Talk about the bet between the Mayors [ ]
Person dressed up in Halloween costume early [ ]
Inning-ending DP [ ]
Hurricane Sandy referenced [ ] (BBTF people worry about it disrupting their WS-watching plans [ ])
Stolen base [ ] (Mention of free tacos promotion after SB [ ])
Caught stealing [ ]
Play at the plate [ ]
Bunt [ ]
Replay review [ ]
Blown call [ ] (Blown call costs game [ ]) (Blown call eliminates team [ ])
NFL reference beyond NFL on FOX [ ]
FOX celebrity shows up [ ]
Reference to Presidential Campaign [ ]
Idiot runs on field [ ]
Triple [ ]
McCarver's singing career [ ]
Sandoval called "Panda" [ ]
Sandoval goes deep [ ]
SF Giants HOF legend mentions: Mays [ ] McCovey (other than Cove) [ ] Marichal [ ] Cepeda [ ] Perry [ ]
Tigers HOF legend mentions: Cobb [ ] Greenberg [ ] Kaline [ ] Harwell [ ] Crawford [ ] Cochrane [ ] Kell [ ] Newhouser [ ] Jennings [ ] Manush [ ] Gehringer [ ] Heilman [ ]
Cabrera MVP talk [ ]
Posey MVP talk [ ]
Miguel Cabrera does something awesome [ ]
Buster Posey does something awesome [ ]
Prince Fielder goes deep [ ]
Ty Cobb Statue shown [ ]
Giants have most wins for a franchise in sports history [ ]
Valverde shows up [ ] (Valverde blows it [ ])
WILD BRIAN WILSON APPEARS [ ]
Reference to Jack Buck [ ]
Shot of Giants fans in a bar [ ]
Marco Scutaro cannot be stopped [ ]
1984 Tigers flashback [ ]
Cain Perfecto flashback [ ]
2010 Giants flashback [ ]
Bochy was last guy to get a hit in 1984 WS [ ]
Barry Bonds referenced [ ]
Melky Cabrera referenced []
The Ferris Wheel they have at Comerica [ ]
Reference to old Tiger Stadium [ ]
"The Giants have home field because of the ASG" [ ]
Pence's speeches [ ]
Verlander in dugout [ ]
Zito in dugout [ ]
Kate Upton [ ]
Barry Manilow [ ]
Super-Duper Slo-Mo used gratuitously [ ]
"It's over" [X] (guaranteed to happen)
"X outs away" [ ]
Bochy HOF talk [ ]
FOX is photobombed [ ]
JOE WEST is JOE WEST [ ]
Columnists around the country type up "BASEBALL IS DOOMED" columns that they have used every year since time immortal [X] (guaranteed)

40. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: October 28, 2012 at 01:59 PM (#4285994)
The year the Phillies were swept by the Rocktoberfest in the NLDS may have been their first playoff appearance in 14 years but I did not find it much more exciting than the previous season. Their fifth straight winning season with nothing to show for it, big deal.

If it had been the Braves that collapsed down the stretch, it would have been awesome, but I felt bad for the Mets. It was almost like the Braves were having the last laugh thanks to Special Agent Tom Glavine's sabotage campaign.
   41. Baldrick Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:11 PM (#4286005)
RMC, since you gave up on your team a couple weeks ago, I cannot see why you still even care what's going on.

Speaking as someone whose team has NEVER made the World Series, I would LOVE to see them getting down 3-0, and would find it tremendously exciting.
   42. deputydrew Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:17 PM (#4286011)
I've been a Giants fan since 1987, but it's not 2012, 2010 or even 2002 or 1989 that made me a fan for life. It was 1993. Personally, I think it's the gut-wrenching, tear out your heart losses that *really* make you a fan for life. So, in that way, I'd agree that it's far better to be a great (or even good) team and lose than it is to just be blah.
   43. AndrewJ Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:19 PM (#4286012)
The year the Phillies were swept by the Rocktoberfest in the NLDS may have been their first playoff appearance in 14 years but I did not find it much more exciting than the previous season.

Certainly that September comeback against the Mets was exciting for a Phillies fan.
   44. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:22 PM (#4286014)
I can't imagine not being thrilled with a playoff season. God knows as the games are going on its stressful and frustrating but even years where my team was blown out of th post season like 2009 or 1995 are years I look back on quite fondly. To each his own though.
   45. deputydrew Posted: October 28, 2012 at 02:24 PM (#4286016)
Gamingboy, how about:

Talk that Lincecum may be a reliever in 2013 [ ]
Talk that Tigers *need* to resign Delmon Young in 2013 [ ]
Shot the statues of former Tiger greats [ ]
Second-guess decision to start Sherzer over Verlander [ ]
Replay of Brian Wilson saving 2010 Game Five [ ]
   46. fra paolo Posted: October 28, 2012 at 03:12 PM (#4286043)
What a way to end a baseball season.

The other team I follow is the Nationals, and I would rather my season ended this way than what befell my Natitude.
   47. bobm Posted: October 28, 2012 at 03:32 PM (#4286056)
SBB is a Tigers fan? His utter disdain and borderline obsession with Theo Epstein had me thinking he was a Red Sox fan

Don't forget his justification of Jack Morris' HoF case based on his salary. A classic.
   48. Spahn Insane Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:03 PM (#4286083)
Speaking as someone whose team has NEVER made the World Series,

Nats, or M's?
   49. VoodooR Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:14 PM (#4286091)
Personally, I think it's the gut-wrenching, tear out your heart losses that *really* make you a fan for life.

This.

Very well stated, and so true.
   50. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:20 PM (#4286099)
The Riot will DH for the Giants.
   51. BochysFingers Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:35 PM (#4286109)
As Gamingboy said... confirmed by Andrew Baggarly.
   52. Steve Treder Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:41 PM (#4286112)
The Riot will DH for the Giants.

Thus driving the final stake into the Tigers' heart.

OK, maybe not.
   53. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: October 28, 2012 at 04:55 PM (#4286124)
The way the WS is going, Theriot will probably hit a solo homer in the 7th to propel the Giants to a 1-0 victory.
   54. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: October 28, 2012 at 05:12 PM (#4286133)
Personally, I think it's the gut-wrenching, tear out your heart losses that *really* make you a fan for life.

This.

A fan of baseball, or of a particular team?
I was already into playing baseball when I first started following any particular MLB team... the 1980 Astros. That NLCS was pretty gut-wrenching.
I stuck with the Astros (despite moving even further away from Houston) up through... the gut-wrenching 1986 NLCS.
Then I couldn't even stand to follow baseball closely for about 15 years. It was only by coincidence that I started hearing my new team on the radio... the 2000 A's.
That got me back into following a particular team, but still: my fandom has been pretty much ranged from gut-wrenching losses to just bleah mediocrity.

I think the singer Paul Simon is the only Yankee fan I've ever heard of who actually said out loud, "Yes, I root for them because they win every year. Why would you put yourself through all that losing?"
   55. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 28, 2012 at 05:24 PM (#4286141)

This.

Agree. I think ultimately the season ending this way will be good for the Nats fanbase- provided they don't do it again and again.
   56. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: October 28, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4286146)
If you're a Giants fan or hate runs being scored, sure.

I do hate runs being scored and, yes, I find it awesome. Though, all seriousness, I prefer great pitching to great hitting, and this postseason's had a whole lot of the former.

KNBR had Vida Blue (I think it was Vida) on Thursday (Friday?) afternoon [wow, this is a GREAT story], and he actually pretty much said exactly that. He said a 9-8 game is bad baseball and no score should ever be higher than, at most, 5-4. So he has enjoyed the Series.
   57. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: October 28, 2012 at 05:26 PM (#4286147)
i confess i am surprised that prince has been so quiet this post-season. not just the world series but all post season. he's had a lot of 'amost' hits.

but those obviously do not count
   58. Petunia inquires about ponies Posted: October 28, 2012 at 05:31 PM (#4286153)
Quintin Berry striking out with the bases loaded 6 times last night didn't help Cabrera's or Fielder's chances much, either. It's possible I'm exaggerating slightly for effect. But only slightly.
   59. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: October 28, 2012 at 05:36 PM (#4286159)
That reminds me: We're on the cusp of living in a world where Ryan Theriot has TWO World Series rings.
   60. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:10 PM (#4286181)
ya'know, with each passing game it's hard for me to take detroit seriously as a world series capable team when the middle of their lineup looks like a bunch of guys who fill up on donuts between games.

delmon, prince, miguel all look like they are bundled up the younger kid in xmas story and if they fell over i doubt they could get up without help
   61. JH (in DC) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:22 PM (#4286187)
Suggestion:

Shot of a broom [ ].

(Since the game is in Detroit, there's actually a degree of difficulty here.)
   62. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:30 PM (#4286190)
That reminds me: We're on the cusp of living in a world where Ryan Theriot has TWO World Series rings.
We already live in a world where Luis Sojo has four, I can accept Theriot having two.
   63. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:31 PM (#4286193)
For me the exciting thing about the Nats' 2012 season was the growing anticipation that something magical was building. They sputtered out of the gate with injuries to key players, but the pitching was firing on all cylinders, then Bryce came up, then it started to crystallize that maybe, just maybe they had a shot at it. It only grew from there. That'll build a fan base, and the attendance showed it. The history of baseball teams in our Nation's Crapital added icing on that sweet cake. You couldn't help but enjoy it.

Against that backdrop, maybe Yankees fans really are jaded? Anything less than perfection is boring and not worthy of their precious time. But the Tigers? They're in the World Friggin Series!! So relax! Let's have some fun out here! This game's fun, OK? Fun goddamnit!
   64. franoscar Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:34 PM (#4286194)
I love the Tigers.

But I'm also a Cubs fan and it is nice to root for a team that wins sometimes. Of course, the Cubs will win soon. Maybe next year!

Theriot! Now there's a Cub!
   65. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 28, 2012 at 06:35 PM (#4286197)
For me the exciting thing about the Nats' 2012 season was the growing anticipation that something magical was building. They sputtered out of the gate with injuries to key players, but the pitching was firing on all cylinders, then Bryce came up, then it started to crystallize that maybe, just maybe they had a shot at it. It only grew from there. That'll build a fan base, and the attendance showed it. The history of baseball teams in our Nation's Crapital added icing on that sweet cake. You couldn't help but enjoy it.

Agree. I remember the game against the Phils with the Ramos walk-off in May I was there and I thought, "Well, that's a really nice memory for this year. Probably aren't going much farther." and then it just kept getting better and better. What a wonderful year. I can't feel anything but good about it despite the end.
   66. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 07:21 PM (#4286225)
Against that backdrop, maybe Yankees fans really are jaded? Anything less than perfection is boring and not worthy of their precious time.
I don't think it's jaded, I think it's just an acclamation. This is basically the source of the #FirstWorldProblems meme and Louis CK's "Everything is amazing and no one is happy" routine.
   67. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 28, 2012 at 07:50 PM (#4286244)
OK! Play some baseball before i inevitably lose power!!
   68. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 28, 2012 at 07:53 PM (#4286247)
We already live in a world where Luis Sojo has four, I can accept Theriot having two.

Actually he has five though he was a very minor contributor to the 1993 Blue Jays. (I assume the Jays gave him one, in any case he was a member if that team).
   69. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: October 28, 2012 at 07:58 PM (#4286252)
Actually he has five though he was a very minor contributor to the 1993 Blue Jays. (I assume the Jays gave him one, in any case he was a member if that team).
How did I not get that right? I knew he was on the '93 Jays and--obviously--I knew he was on all those Yankee teams. Apparently the issue is with my ability to successfully add one (Jays) and four (Yankees).
   70. JJ1986 Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:01 PM (#4286253)
Does the telecast start at 8? All I have is Hurricane coverage.
   71. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:02 PM (#4286254)
It's always cold in Ess Eff. Advantage: Giants.
   72. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:02 PM (#4286256)
Does the telecast start at 8? All I have is Hurricane coverage.

Game is on in New York City.
   73. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:02 PM (#4286257)
Telecast has started. Where are you?
   74. RMc's desperate, often sordid world Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:03 PM (#4286258)
Actually he has five though he was a very minor contributor to the 1993 Blue Jays.

Plus three more as a manager, from 2019-21.

Wait, what?
   75. JJ1986 Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:03 PM (#4286259)
Telecast has started. Where are you?

Maryland.
   76. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:05 PM (#4286262)
The Federal government has declared everybody non-essential and will remain closed on Monday. Good luck and Godspeed.
   77. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4286263)
Seriously? Is the home of Motown and we get Zooey Deschanel and Demi Lovato? #### you Fox.
   78. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:06 PM (#4286264)
Why does the national anthem always have to be a dirge?
   79. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:07 PM (#4286265)
CHECKLIST (HERE WE GO):
Conradian play [ ] (COLLECTIVE CONRADIAN CATASTROPHE [ ] )
Web Gem [ ]
1-2-3-4-5-6 inning [ ]
Strike out of side [ ] (1-2-3 SO of side [ ])
Baserunning blunder [ ]
Bases loaded, nobody scores in the inning [ ]
It rains [ ] (rain delay [])
Dramatic late-inning homer [ ]
Ad for a movie that hasn't been advertised yet this postseason [ ]
Starter warms up in bullpen [ ] (Postseason starter warms up [ ])
Talk about the bet between the Mayors [ ]
Person dressed up in Halloween costume early [ ]
Inning-ending DP [ ]
Hurricane Sandy referenced [ ] (BBTF people worry about it disrupting their WS-watching plans [ ])
Stolen base [ ] (Mention of free tacos promotion after SB [ ])
Caught stealing [ ]
Play at the plate [ ]
Bunt [ ]
Replay review [ ]
Blown call [ ] (Blown call costs game [ ]) (Blown call eliminates team [ ])
NFL reference beyond NFL on FOX [ ]
FOX celebrity shows up [ ]
Reference to Presidential Campaign [ ]
Idiot runs on field [ ]
Triple [ ]
McCarver's singing career [ ]
Sandoval called "Panda" [ ]
Sandoval goes deep [ ]
SF Giants HOF legend mentions: Mays [ ] McCovey (other than Cove) [ ] Marichal [ ] Cepeda [ ] Perry [ ]
Tigers HOF legend mentions: Cobb [ ] Greenberg [ ] Kaline [ ] Harwell [ ] Crawford [ ] Cochrane [ ] Kell [ ] Newhouser [ ] Jennings [ ] Manush [ ] Gehringer [ ] Heilman [ ]
Cabrera MVP talk [ ]
Posey MVP talk [ ]
Miguel Cabrera does something awesome [ ]
Buster Posey does something awesome [ ]
Prince Fielder goes deep [ ]
Ty Cobb Statue shown [ ]
Giants have most wins for a franchise in sports history [ ]
Valverde shows up [ ] (Valverde blows it [ ])
WILD BRIAN WILSON APPEARS [ ]
Reference to Jack Buck [ ]
Shot of Giants fans in a bar [ ]
Marco Scutaro cannot be stopped [ ]
1984 Tigers flashback [ ]
Cain Perfecto flashback [ ]
2010 Giants flashback [ ]
Bochy was last guy to get a hit in 1984 WS [ ]
Barry Bonds referenced [ ]
Melky Cabrera referenced []
The Ferris Wheel they have at Comerica [ ]
Reference to old Tiger Stadium [ ]
"The Giants have home field because of the ASG" [ ]
Pence's speeches [ ]
Verlander in dugout [ ]
Zito in dugout [ ]
Kate Upton [ ]
Barry Manilow [ ]
Super-Duper Slo-Mo used gratuitously [ ]
"It's over" [X] (guaranteed to happen)
"X outs away" [ ]
Bochy HOF talk [ ]
FOX is photobombed [ ]
JOE WEST is JOE WEST [ ]
Columnists around the country type up "BASEBALL IS DOOMED" columns that they have used every year since time immortal [X] (guaranteed)
Talk that Lincecum may be a reliever in 2013 [ ]
Shot the statues of former Tiger greats [ ]
Second-guess decision to start Scherzer over Verlander [ ]
   80. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:07 PM (#4286266)
MY EARS ARE BURNING!
   81. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:08 PM (#4286268)
MY EARS ARE BURNING!

That was bad. I really dislike the contemporary fascination with power singing.

82. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:12 PM (#4286272)
OK, glad I muted it after the first sentence/verse. I usually listen to the TV while I set up MLB Gameday radio feed on my laptop.

Another shamless plug for my web page that describes how to use a couple utilities to delay the radio to sync with the TV video. I offer it only to save you from the vast wasteland that we call television.
   83. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:16 PM (#4286277)
Ryan Theriot, DH? The hell?
   84. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:17 PM (#4286278)
joe buck laying down the gauntlet for max
   85. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:17 PM (#4286279)
well hello mr scherzer
   86. Chip Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:18 PM (#4286281)
Scherzer's going to have 30 Ks if he keeps getting that wide call.
   87. Chip Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:18 PM (#4286282)
(I'm assuming extra innings because, as we know, the DET offense never scores.)
   88. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:19 PM (#4286283)
   89. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:20 PM (#4286285)
nasty breaking ball there
   90. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:20 PM (#4286286)
Urgh, the feed isn't in HD because the local station is putting in high wind warnings for tomorrow.
   91. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:24 PM (#4286289)
It's over.
   92. Dr. Vaux Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:24 PM (#4286290)
Well, I completely endorse RMc's post #15, so there's nothing more for me to say, I guess.

I'll add to that that this series has not been a matter of the Giants pitchers coming up big. It's been a matter of the Tigers hitters wretching all over the field and parking lot.
   93. JJ1986 Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:25 PM (#4286294)
You don't need to bench Berry, but why not hit Dirks 2nd?
   94. Dr. Vaux Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:26 PM (#4286297)
And it's going to be hard for me to bother rooting for the Tigers again. I checked out for several years in the Randy Smith era, when it was obvious that the team would never improve under current management, and started caring again when Dave Dombrowski was hired. I love Jim Leyland, but I may not come back if he does.
   95. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:28 PM (#4286298)
Wow, that was close.
   96. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:28 PM (#4286300)
Would have been embarrassing for Berry if it was fair.
   97. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:29 PM (#4286301)
   98. Chip Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:30 PM (#4286304)
No wide zone for Cain.
   99. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:32 PM (#4286305)
whoof Fielder is pressing
   100. Gamingboy Posted: October 28, 2012 at 08:32 PM (#4286306)
Pence speeches [X]
Page 1 of 7 pages  1 2 3 4 5 6 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Phil Birnbaum
for his generous support.