Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

2013 and 2017 World Baseball Classic to be telecast exclusively on MLB Network in the United States

The 2006 and 2009 WBCs actually got pretty good ratings for ESPN (especially compared to what ESPN normally would be airing at that time), so this is probably similar to how MLB Network grabbed two playoff games this season: take it in in-house for more exposure for your network, and thus more profit.

On the downside, though, ESPN will now totally ignore the WBC, and I have to wonder what this might mean for Spanish speakers in the USA, as it’s not like there’s a MLB Network Deportes.

Gamingboy Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:17 PM | 22 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: television, wbc, world baseball classic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Greg K Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:38 PM (#4280991)
I was in Canada for the previous two so I could just watch it on regular TV. I'm assuming mlb.tv grants access to the WBC right?
   2. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:42 PM (#4280994)
Doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to put on MLBnetwork, since every sports bar gets it anyway.
   3. vortex of dissipation Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:51 PM (#4280999)
Well, since I love the WBC, and I don't have access to MLB Network, this really sucks.
   4. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: October 23, 2012 at 05:54 PM (#4281002)
The headline isn't actually true. From the first line of the story:

World Baseball Classic, Inc. (WBCI) today announced that MLB Network has been selected as the exclusive English-language telecast partner in the United States for both the 2013 and 2017 World Baseball Classic tournaments.

Emphasis mine. ESPN Deportes showed the games last time in Spanish, and this language sounds like they might do it again.
   5. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:00 PM (#4281011)
The qualifiers were on MLB Network, but they were also available online. I think. I watched the games on my computer, so I'm sure about the latter part, but not the first assertion.
   6. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:04 PM (#4281014)
Actually, ESPN gets huge ratings right at that time. They are airing like a solid month of college basketball. I don't know the revenue numbers, but I'll bet this isn't a huge loss as far as money goes.
   7. Swedish Chef Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:04 PM (#4281015)
Well, since I love the WBC, and I don't have access to MLB Network, this really sucks.

They should have good internet streaming though.
   8. Tom Nawrocki Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:14 PM (#4281022)
Doesn't seem like an unreasonable thing to put on MLBnetwork, since every sports bar gets it anyway.

I was in a bar last night to watch Game 7, and they had a TV over in the corner tuned to the MLB Network. I noticed at one point an interview with Mookie Wilson. The number of people watching that at home must have been somewhere in the two figures.
   9. Bourbon Samurai in Asia Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:27 PM (#4281032)
I was in a bar last night to watch Game 7, and they had a TV over in the corner tuned to the MLB Network. I noticed at one point an interview with Mookie Wilson. The number of people watching that at home must have been somewhere in the two figures.

Yeah, I wonder about that sometimes. Like why don't they just set up Harold Reynolds with some beers and he watches the game? Why bother to have programming?
   10. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: October 23, 2012 at 06:48 PM (#4281057)
Like why don't they just set up Harold Reynolds with some beers and he watches the game?

Won't someone think of the female interns?
   11. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: October 23, 2012 at 07:30 PM (#4281087)
   12. Gamingboy Posted: October 23, 2012 at 07:33 PM (#4281090)
Actually, ESPN gets huge ratings right at that time. They are airing like a solid month of college basketball.

Yes, but they were getting good ratings for the WBC as well. Here's stuff from back in 2009's first round. They were getting great ratings and were the most watched events on Cable TV for that week. So it is likely a move by MLB to get more people to watch the Network, not a case of ESPN dumping the WBC.

Also, thanks for pointing out the "english language" part TVErik. I missed that somehow.
   13. Karl from NY Posted: October 23, 2012 at 08:20 PM (#4281106)
They are airing like a solid month of college basketball.

Not really. It's only Thursday through Sunday, and only two weekends of extensive coverage. The Final Four is just Saturday and Monday and on CBS not ESPN. So there's plenty of March airtime on ESPN to fill with the WBC or other sports content.
   14. Gamingboy Posted: October 23, 2012 at 08:43 PM (#4281120)

Not really. It's only Thursday through Sunday, and only two weekends of extensive coverage. The Final Four is just Saturday and Monday and on CBS not ESPN. So there's plenty of March airtime on ESPN to fill with the WBC or other sports content.

They do have women's tournament and NIT, of course, but, as I said, the WBC was getting good ratings- better ratings than Women's NCAA and the NIT would get. So this is all MLB trying to pump up the Network, not any lack of interest from other groups.
   15. Walt Davis Posted: October 23, 2012 at 08:44 PM (#4281121)
MLB Network Deportes

Which raises the question of why not?

As far as I know, most teams still don't have Spanish language broadcasts. I can't imagine there are too many MLB cities left where not having one makes sense (or having one doesn't make sense, you decide). As far as I know, even the Cubs still don't have one. It seems an obvious market to go after.
   16. Gamingboy Posted: October 23, 2012 at 08:56 PM (#4281124)
MLB Network Deportes

Which raises the question of why not?

As far as I know, most teams still don't have Spanish language broadcasts. I can't imagine there are too many MLB cities left where not having one makes sense (or having one doesn't make sense, you decide). As far as I know, even the Cubs still don't have one. It seems an obvious market to go after.

...Seriously? The Cubs? The one team that's left that has a national network (WGN) on Cable and Satellite networks? Not even "press the SAP button"?

Jeez, what the heck is MLB waiting for? Make that network. Have it be a combination of local spanish broadcasts and maybe one or two nationally broadcast network games a week. Translate and dub some of the documentaries and studio shows. Launch in select markets like New York City, Southern California, Texas and Florida, as well as Puerto Rico and Mexico. Grow from there.

All BBTF asks for in return is a small but not insubstantial amount of revenue, and tickets to certain events.
   17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: October 23, 2012 at 09:23 PM (#4281141)
So now that I finally have cable, they move the game to some jackass channel I don't get?

Figures.
   18. Walt Davis Posted: October 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM (#4281176)
By the way, I was just referencing local RADIO spanish language broadcasts.

The Cubs might have the "press the SAP button", that I can't say. But last I recall on mlb.tv, there was no spanish language option for the Cubs or most other teams.
   19. dr. scott Posted: October 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM (#4281185)
So does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for the semi's and finals? I would love to go, and Ill be Jonesin for some baseball by that point.
   20. Gamingboy Posted: October 24, 2012 at 01:00 PM (#4281536)
So does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for the semi's and finals? I would love to go, and Ill be Jonesin for some baseball by that point.

I think they said somewhere that signing up for first-opportunity at semis and finals tickets was coming soon, or something.
   21. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: October 24, 2012 at 02:05 PM (#4281610)

Last weekend, while the Wisconsin football game was airing on ESPNU, the Big Ten Network was carrying The Journey about Montee Ball. I can't imagine many people were watching.
   22. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: October 24, 2012 at 02:11 PM (#4281617)

Yeah, I wonder about that sometimes. Like why don't they just set up Harold Reynolds with some beers and he watches the game? Why bother to have programming?

My guess is that you can sell the advertising during such a time slot for some cheap price and then run something you've previously run. If you cost it right you probably make money on the slot (not a lot) but profit is profit and if the game ends and you have to jump in for your post-game show no one is really bothered.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Andere Richtingen
for his generous support.