Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, February 28, 2013

2013 World Baseball Classic Begins This Friday On MLB Network

MLB Network’s exclusive English-language telecast of the 2013 World Baseball Classic in the United States begins this Friday, March 1 at 11:30 p.m. ET and continues with all 39 games of the tournament through the Championship on Tuesday, March 19 at 8:00 p.m. ET. MLB Network’s Bob Costas, Jim Kaat, Joe Magrane, Harold Reynolds, John Smoltz, Matt Vasgersian, Tom Verducci and Matt Yallof are among the group of announcers scheduled to call the tournament, produced by MLB Network in the United States and by MLB International abroad. The complete list of announcers is outlined below.

In addition to televising all 39 games, MLB Network will extensively cover the World Baseball Classic in its studio programming, including World Baseball Classic Today, which debuts this Saturday, March 2 at 11:00 a.m. ET. Former Major League infielder and coach of the 2005 World Champion Chicago White Sox Joey Cora will serve as a guest analyst on the program from March 7-9. The tournament’s Championship Round will include on-site coverage with Intentional Talk live before each game and live pre- and postgame coverage on MLB Tonight on the field from AT&T Park in San Francisco.

It’s on ESPN Deportes as well (in Spanish) and will be on Sportsnet in Canada.

Gamingboy Posted: February 28, 2013 at 04:01 PM | 18 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: international, mlb_network, tv, wbc, world baseball classic

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Dan Posted: February 28, 2013 at 05:27 PM (#4377906)
I wish this was available on MLB.tv, because I'm not going to pay $10 extra per month or whatever the hell Comcast is asking for for the "Sports Package" that adds MLB Network to my cable. $120 per year for a package with 1 channel I give a damn about? That's the same amount I pay for MLB.tv, which allows me to watch every MLB game played all season! I guess it'd be awesome if Comcast included MLB Network with normal packages, but as long as it's only available by upping for a package deal with other sports networks I'd never watch, I'm just going to have to miss out on things like the WBC.
   2. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: February 28, 2013 at 05:39 PM (#4377919)
Any word yet on if there is an option to follow the games as a part of the AtBat app?
   3. Juan Uribe Marching and Chowder Society Posted: February 28, 2013 at 05:55 PM (#4377939)
Dan: $120 is pretty reasonable. That's less than 30 gallons of gas. That's less than a couple of ibuprofen at a hospital. That's less than a pair of good running shoes.

4. Juan Uribe Marching and Chowder Society Posted: February 28, 2013 at 06:04 PM (#4377954)
Dan: $120 is pretty reasonable. That's less than 30 gallons of gas. That's less than a couple of ibuprofen at a hospital. That's less than a pair of good running shoes.

5. Greg K Posted: February 28, 2013 at 06:11 PM (#4377958)
Is it available on mlb.tv overseas? I really hope so, because I'm pretty sure the MLB Network isn't carried in the UK. (Or, maybe it is, but I'm not getting it)

That's less than a couple of ibuprofen at a hospital.

Wowzers. Is this true?

6. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: February 28, 2013 at 06:34 PM (#4377971)
I feel like putting all the games on MLB Network is MLB's way of saying they want to tournament to die off. What better way to kill off a budding new tournament than to put it on a channel hardly anyone gets and then cancel future events due to lack of interest.
   7. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: February 28, 2013 at 07:10 PM (#4377987)
The games are streaming on worldbaseballclassic.com, aren't they? I watched the qualifying rounds there.
   8. Juan Uribe Marching and Chowder Society Posted: February 28, 2013 at 07:19 PM (#4377992)
Greg: exaggeration, but close.
   9. Greg K Posted: February 28, 2013 at 07:54 PM (#4378010)
The games are streaming on worldbaseballclassic.com, aren't they? I watched the qualifying rounds there.

So does that mean overseas viewers get it even if they don't have an mlb.tv account? I have to admit, I've been having some difficulty getting information on how it will be covered outside of North America. Maybe I'm just an idiot.
   10. Jarrod HypnerotomachiaPoliphili(Teddy F. Ballgame) Posted: February 28, 2013 at 08:10 PM (#4378018)
According to the WBC site, ESPN America will be covering the games in the UK. I also see a number of comments questioning whether the games will be streamed online, but no answers.
   11. Greg K Posted: February 28, 2013 at 08:11 PM (#4378019)
Ah yes, after more searching tonight it looks like it's ESPN America or bust. That really sucks, but I suppose for the best. I'm supposedly going to be very busy the next two weeks with work.
   12. The Robby Hammock District (Dan Lee) Posted: February 28, 2013 at 08:47 PM (#4378033)
Dan, you could always add the "sports package" for a month, then drop it after the WBC. When I was a bit more financially challenged, I used to add Showtime for a couple months to watch Dexter, then cancel it for the rest of the year.
   13. frannyzoo Posted: February 28, 2013 at 09:37 PM (#4378061)
I watch ESPN America all the time, and I live in the U.S. Does the term "Front Row Sports" mean anything to you? More precisely, I tend to watch quite a bit of cricket and Cricfree.tv is good for that and quite a bit more.
   14. Gamingboy Posted: February 28, 2013 at 11:05 PM (#4378095)
It will be streamble online or through the iOS app depending on your cable or satellite supplier, I believe, unlike the qualifiers where you could do whatever (probably because most of those games weren't on TV to begin with).
   15. Gamingboy Posted: February 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM (#4378099)
I feel like putting all the games on MLB Network is MLB's way of saying they want to tournament to die off. What better way to kill off a budding new tournament than to put it on a channel hardly anyone gets and then cancel future events due to lack of interest.

Actually, I read somewhere that the opposite is true, and that it's more of a way to boost MLB Network, similar to how they have been moving a few playoffs games to MLB Network or how all Thursday Night Football games are on NFL Network unless you live within 50 miles of the stadium. And, really, the WBC isn't really about America or it's money (although they certainly won't complain about any Joe Mauer Team USA jerseys they sell), it's about the money elsewhere. And there is a lot of money they are getting from elsewhere, especially Asia and Latin America (you'll notice how MLB made sure that ESPN still has the rights to Spanish-language broadcasts both here and in many other countries).
   16. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: March 01, 2013 at 09:19 AM (#4378184)
More precisely, I tend to watch quite a bit of cricket and Cricfree.tv is good for that and quite a bit more.

I have no idea what the "Haikou Snooker World Open" is...but I'm watchin' it!
   17. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: March 01, 2013 at 10:26 AM (#4378229)
Any word yet on if there is an option to follow the games as a part of the AtBat app?

Answering my own question there is indeed an At Bat style app that has been released (at least for iPhone).
   18. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: March 01, 2013 at 10:39 AM (#4378236)
$120 is pretty reasonable. That's less than 30 gallons of gas. That's less than a couple of ibuprofen at a hospital. That's less than a pair of good running shoes.

For me, that's an entire day's pay, more or less.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.