Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, December 12, 2013

2014 Rome Braves Field Staff Announced

It seems like just yesterday that the Braves were wasting a 37th round draft pick on Schuerholz.

The 2014 Rome Braves field staff has been announced and Jonathan Schuerholz becomes the team’s new manager. Schuerholz, who will be entering his fourth season as a minor league manager, returns after playing in Rome in 2003 and six minor league seasons. He managed the Danville Braves for three seasons as well as the Gulf Coast League Braves. Previously, Schuerholz spent two seasons (2009-2010) as the Braves roving infield instructor. After retiring from professional baseball, Schuerholz returned to Auburn University to complete his bachelor’s degree in business administration. He played infield for the Tigers from 2000-2002.

Gaylord Perry the Platypus (oi!) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 05:33 PM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: braves, minor league baseball, minors, nepotism

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. bfan Posted: December 12, 2013 at 06:30 PM (#4617059)
He is a good kid, and he is not the 1st 37th round draft choice not to make the majors. Braves GMs and their off-spring in the system seem to now be a tradition for the Braves (Frank and Kyle Wren being set #2). The Braves next GM ought to be a Griffey; they keep pumping out excellent athletes each generation after the next.
   2. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: December 12, 2013 at 06:33 PM (#4617062)
Jonathan Schuerholz was born June 25, 1980, meaning he was 30 when he because the manager of the Danville Braves. Still probably 8 years older than any of the players.
   3. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: December 12, 2013 at 06:43 PM (#4617070)
Wasn't Schuerholz actually not that low a draft choice? Like, seventh round or something similar?

EDIT: Ah. He was a 37th rounder out of high school (by the Braves), and was then taken in the eighth round out of Auburn in 2002. I remember there being a fair amount of disquiet among Braves fans at the time over the fact that he was taken that highly.
   4. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: December 12, 2013 at 06:47 PM (#4617073)
I'll say this for Lil' Jonny: the kid did have a reasonable batting eye, at least until AA. 38 walks in 245 ABs in rookie ball, 59 in 413 in A-ball. Those fell off once he moved up to the higher levels, but considering that he slugged .253 at AAA, that .75 isolated OBP isn't half-bad.
   5. Mike A Posted: December 12, 2013 at 07:04 PM (#4617085)
I remember there being a fair amount of disquiet among Braves fans at the time over the fact that he was taken that highly.
Oh, there was. I remember he was dubbed 'Little Johnny Nepotism' by possibly Mac or Sam?

The Braves defended the pick, saying they would have drafted him there anyways, which irritated a few. I didn't mind too much... 8th round picks don't typically do anything (though the three guys drafted behind him actually did make the majors for a cup of coffee)...and for all that Big Johnny Schuerholz did for the Braves, it was OK to throw him a bone. I was more annoyed later when he was promoted through the system despite hitting like my grandma.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Guts
for his generous support.