Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Friday, September 07, 2018

2018 Pipeline’s Prospect Team of the Year

A year after making their full-season debuts, Blue Jays third baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and White Sox right-hander Dylan Cease dominated the Minor Leagues throughout 2018. Guerrero made a run at becoming the Minors’ first .400 hitter in 29 years and Cease was unhittable for much of the season, especially down the stretch.

Guerrero was a no-brainer choice as MLB Pipeline’s Hitter of the Year, and Cease was nearly as obvious a pick as our Pitcher of the Year. They also headline our annual Prospect Team of the Year, which includes eight Top 100 prospects on the 12-player first team.

To be eligible for the Prospect Team of the Year, a player must have spent at least half of the season in the Minors and ranked on MLB Pipeline’s Top 30 Prospects list for his organization at some point.

Jim Furtado Posted: September 07, 2018 at 02:35 PM | 10 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: prospects

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 07, 2018 at 04:33 PM (#5740657)
This is what Cease did in AA:

His numbers improved after his midseason promotion to Double-A, where he had a 1.72 ERA, 13.4 whiffs per nine innings and a .168 opponent average.

Wowzer. Most of those innings were pitched as a new career high as well. He should have been running on fumes but instead absolutely dominated down the stretch against AA hitters.
   2. bfan Posted: September 07, 2018 at 04:45 PM (#5740664)
Lots of young talent for the white sox on the verge here. If Moncada is worth a hoot, they could be the 2019 Braves-arriving as a contender earlier than everyone expected.
   3. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 07, 2018 at 04:55 PM (#5740672)
Lots of young talent for the white sox on the verge here. If Moncada is worth a hoot, they could be the 2019 Braves-arriving as a contender earlier than everyone expected.

Yea Moncada has basically been replacement level for three months now. He's at 1.1 fWAR. He's cut his K rate down dramatically the last month but hasn't seen any increase in his slash line. He's had some absolutely awful luck with umpires this year, to the point where it's become a meme for Sox fans online but he's gotta figure out an approach that doesn't rely on going so deep into the count.

I think he's still got a great chance to be a 5-7 WAR 2B in his prime but his floor is looking closer to 1 WAR than 3. He's still a quite raw 23 and some of his development might have been robbed of him when he came over and didn't play organized baseball for about a year.

That said, they just added Madrigal to the prospect pile and Fangraphs already has him top 30 in all of MLB and #3rd in the Sox' system behind Kopech and Eloy (or 2nd now that Kopech has graduated).

If Moncada doesn't pan out, they got more where that came from down on the farm.
   4. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 07, 2018 at 05:07 PM (#5740682)
I will admit I fully supported the Quintana trade for the Cubs , and I still think he fit the profile of a player that justifies a significant expenditure of prospects...but man, it's a lot easier to digest when the prospects end up like Melvin Nieves or some such. Oh well, as a Chicagoan I'm glad that Jimenez and Cease both went to the Sox, because it will be tremendous fun in the city if (and when?) both teams are contenders at the same time.
   5. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 07, 2018 at 05:14 PM (#5740687)
Oh well, as a Chicagoan I'm glad that Jimenez and Cease both went to the Sox, because it will be tremendous fun in the city if (and when?) both teams are contenders at the same time.

Yea I want to see the "vigor" associated with the games back when AJ got punched. Good for baseball and good for Chicago.

That said, WTF were the Cubs thinking "throwing in" Cease in that deal? There was evidence (us Sox fans were certainly worried about it) that Q's prime was over and that Hahn would struggle to get good value back. So much for that. Q is at 1.1 fWAR. Maybe he bounces back and turns back into that rock solid #2 he was on the South Side but he looks more like a 4/5 at this point.
   6. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 07, 2018 at 05:17 PM (#5740688)
Yea I want to see the "vigor" associated with the games back when AJ got punched. Good for baseball and good for Chicago.
I think we can all agree that A.J. Pierzynski getting punched is good for society as a whole, and should happen with regularity.
   7. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: September 07, 2018 at 05:22 PM (#5740690)
There was evidence (us Sox fans were certainly worried about it) that Q's prime was over and that Hahn would struggle to get good value back.
Looking back at his numbers, I notice the same things (I think) as I did then - some increase in walk and HR rates, but nothing too big, and also an increase in K rate. Was there something else that was a major concern to Sox fans, or did you think the walks and HRs were more of a problem than I (and apparently Thed) did?
   8. Lindor Truffles Posted: September 07, 2018 at 05:39 PM (#5740701)
Kopech has torn UCL, likely out until ‘20.
   9. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: September 07, 2018 at 05:43 PM (#5740706)
Yea I'm done. Worst year ever for my sports fandom. Hits just keep on coming.

Looking back at his numbers, I notice the same things (I think) as I did then - some increase in walk and HR rates, but nothing too big, and also an increase in K rate. Was there something else that was a major concern to Sox fans, or did you think the walks and HRs were more of a problem than I (and apparently Thed) did?

He had really bad fastball command, or at least, not the absolutely impeccable fastball command that made him one of the 10 best SP in baseball over that three year stretch prior to trade. Some of us guessed injury.
   10. Ziggy's screen name Posted: September 07, 2018 at 09:52 PM (#5740803)
So, Vlad Jr. = Miguel Cabrera? Actually, playing at the same age at the same level, Vlad has been a fair bit better than Cabrera. That's a scary thought. There are lots of good prospects right now, but only Vlad is a truly great one, the kind of player where I'd be surprised if he didn't become a star. Last year I thought it was a toss-up between Vlad and Bo Bichette, as to which would become the better player. Whatever the merits of that thought last year, clearly I was wrong.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
A triple short of the cycle
for his generous support.