Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, June 13, 2019

6 suspects, including gunman, arrested in Ortiz shooting – Boston Herald

Read the article for more information.

An alleged gunman and five accomplices have been detained in the shooting of former Red Sox superstar David Ortiz, Dominican officials said Wednesday, while providing no information about why a group of young men would try to kill their country’s most beloved sports hero.

Four other suspects were also being pursued in the shooting, which witnesses said was carried out by two men on a motorcycle, assisted by two other groups of people in cars.

“At this moment, they are being interrogated and we will continue deepening the investigation to get to the truth about what happened,” Chief Prosecutor Jean Alain Rodríguez said.

“Nobody involved in this unfortunate episode will escape justice, neither those who carried it out nor the mastermind,” he said.

The national police director, Maj. Gen. Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte, said the coordinator of the attack was offered 400,000 Dominican pesos, or about $7,800, to orchestrate the shooting. He said the alleged coordinator was also among those in custody.

Jim Furtado Posted: June 13, 2019 at 06:23 AM | 107 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: david ortiz

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Spahn Insane Posted: June 19, 2019 at 10:07 PM (#5853865)
99:

This just keeps getting better, doesn't it....
   102. Spahn Insane Posted: June 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM (#5853866)
I'm not convinced Papi's any less famous than ARod. He's certainly more beloved. You put the two of them in street clothes, I reckon more people recognize Ortiz.

And Ortiz is assuredly more famous/widely recognized in the DR than ARod, which is really the point in the context of this story.
   103. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: June 19, 2019 at 10:11 PM (#5853869)
You put the two of them in street clothes, I reckon more people recognize Ortiz.
Nah. The hind legs would give it away.
   104. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: June 20, 2019 at 06:47 AM (#5853921)
Well, they did hit Fernandez after all, right? They had reported he was injured by the bullet after it went through Ortiz.
The magic bullet also hit Jhoel Lopez, who came to the club with Ortiz (and is a TV host).

The fact that Ortiz was shot in the back by someone who seems to have been an incompetent assassin does make the "he shot the wrong guy" bit more credible. He shot a guy at the right table wearing the right colored jacket, which is probably as good as you can hope for from an associate of Squiddy.
I'm not convinced Papi's any less famous than ARod. He's certainly more beloved.
ARod was the punchline of a joke on the most recent episode of iZombie, which is set in Seattle. The bad guy character was the subject of an expose that exposed him as a mass murderer. He was asked, "What's it liked to be the most hated person in Seattle?" His answer was something like, "I don't know, ask ARod." It was the first time in I'd seen a reference to a specific ballplayer in quite a while, though I'm not a big TV consumer and might be missing the oceans of Joey Votto paeans.
   105. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: June 20, 2019 at 11:31 AM (#5854020)

Nah. The hind legs would give it away.

I know some people disagree, but this joke never gets old to me.
   106. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 20, 2019 at 04:01 PM (#5854205)
A-Rod's not in the clear. They shoot horses, don't they?
   107. Sunday silence Posted: June 20, 2019 at 07:00 PM (#5854294)

And Ortiz is assuredly more famous/widely recognized in the DR than ARod, which is really the point in the context of this story.

well what about Sammy Sosa then? Surely one could more easily recognize his bleached out countenance in a dark night club than Papi's.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.