Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, August 06, 2011

700 Level: Friday Night Fights - Phils Beat Down Giants (Video)

Back in 2008 Shane Victorino made it clear to Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda that you do not throw at his head. Tonight, he made it clear to Giants pitcher Ramon Ramirez that it is not ok to throw at his back simply because you’re the defending the World Series Champions, down 8-2, and in the midst of getting embarrassed at home.

Shane was mad as hell and he wasn’t going to take it anymore. He tossed his bat aside, started towards the mound, and was temporarily restrained by home plate umpire Mike Muchlinski. All the while, Giants catcher Eli Whiteside was hopping up and down like he’d just freebased a Red Bull and speed.

Placido Polanco, who was on first at the time, joined the fray only to be form-tackled by the completely over-stimulated Whiteside. Pushing and shoving ensued, but no clean punches were landed.

Victorino, who in an effort to get involved in the fracas/brouhaha/melee/donnybrook forcibly shoved aside plate ump Muchlinski, surely is facing a suspension. Ramirez and Whiteside will likely miss time as well.

As for the game itself - the Phils won their second straight over the Giants with a 9-2 win.

Thanks to Dev.

Repoz Posted: August 06, 2011 at 11:55 AM | 19 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: giants, phillies

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. AndrewJ Posted: August 06, 2011 at 12:27 PM (#3894149)
As for the game itself - the Phils won their second straight over the Giants with a 9-2 win.

Over their last 162 regular season games, the Phils are 108-54. Perhaps comparisons to the 1975-76 Reds and '86 Mets are apropos...
   2. Gamingboy Posted: August 06, 2011 at 12:40 PM (#3894151)
I blame Whiteside for this escalating. Guy was jumping up and down like he was getting himself psyched up for a few rounds of boxing.
   3. Joey B. is being stalked by a (Gonfa) loon Posted: August 06, 2011 at 01:14 PM (#3894160)
Over their last 162 regular season games, the Phils are 108-54. Perhaps comparisons to the 1975-76 Reds and '86 Mets are apropos...

It's hard for me to believe, but at the very beginning of the season I was talking to a few Phillies fans who were telling me that they were actually concerned about their club.

I was thinking to myself "You've got to be f*****g kidding me." Any idiot who follows and knows anything about baseball at all could tell that this was going to be a great team.
   4. Dr. Vaux Posted: August 06, 2011 at 01:25 PM (#3894166)
I think a lot of people assumed that Utley was out for the year, what with how cryptic and taciturn the Phillies front office was being about his injury. It looked like they wouldn't necessarily have enough offense. In other words, like they might turn into the Giants . . .
   5. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 06, 2011 at 01:30 PM (#3894170)
Any idiot who follows and knows anything about baseball at all could tell that this was going to be a great team.

You're usual hyperbole aside, there was legitimate concern over Utley's health (like in not playing this year) and the bullpen and general overall aging of the club. Utley, Rollins and Polanco are showing signs of age but performing pretty well anyway. I doubt any idiot predicted how well Worley and Kendrick would pitch. And I remember you saying that Bastardo would be in the argument for best relief pitcher in baseball.
   6. Adam B. Posted: August 06, 2011 at 01:40 PM (#3894176)
And Hamels has been an equal to Halladay and Lee on the mound. That helps.

Hunter Pence has won as many games as a Phillie (7, in 7 games) as he did in the previous 30 games as an Astro.

(Also: Rollins stole 3rd with an an 8-2 lead just before Victorino batted. Unwritten Rules violation?)
   7. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: August 06, 2011 at 01:57 PM (#3894185)
What's really amazing is that the Phils are basically on a 105 win pace and are still, according to baseballprospectus adjusted standings, worse than Boston or NY. . . big fish, little pond.
   8. Gamingboy Posted: August 06, 2011 at 02:22 PM (#3894193)
What's really amazing is that the Phils are basically on a 105 win pace and are still, according to baseballprospectus adjusted standings, worse than Boston or NY. . . big fish, little pond.

I'd still take the Phils over any other team in MLB, even NY and BOS, in the World Series. Especially if Roy Oswalt comes back well.
   9. AndrewJ Posted: August 06, 2011 at 02:38 PM (#3894200)
I'd still take the Phils over any other team in MLB, even NY and BOS, in the World Series. Especially if Roy Oswalt comes back well.

The 2009 Phils got as far as Game 6 of the World Series on Cliff Lee alone. With Lee, Halladay, Hamels, Worley and a healthy Oswalt in the rotation, the Phils could be frightening in the 2011 Series.
   10. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: August 06, 2011 at 02:39 PM (#3894202)
...fracas/brouhaha/melee/donnybrook...

Looked more like a ruckus or a rumble to me. Or maybe I just like words that start with 'r' this morning.

I blame Whiteside for this escalating. Guy was jumping up and down like he was getting himself psyched up for a few rounds of boxing.

Yeah, what was up with that. At first I figured he just wanted to get in front of Victorino, but then... Also, very poor tackling on hist part.
   11. Cuban X Senators Posted: August 06, 2011 at 02:53 PM (#3894210)
so: Rollins stole 3rd with an an 8-2 lead just before Victorino batted. Unwritten Rules violation?

And Schneider swung 3-0, coulda been any, all or none of that . . .

I blame Whiteside for this escalating. Guy was jumping up and down like he was getting himself psyched up for a few rounds of boxing

Don't know that the jumping is punishable. And, to me, the tackle comes from Polanco approaching from first, from his peripheral vision. Though the "oh-s#!%-someone's-on-me" reaction's understandable, you've got to punish that.

But Victorino not only takes the first step, and pushes the ump aside to get into the fray, he then gets pulled out of there, breaks free again, runs around the scrum and jumps into the back of Hensley Meulens.

And has no one seen Kung Fu Panda apparently throw a punch? Looks like he gets one in as Romo tries to pull him back. Can't see if he or Romo pull the punch, but Sandoval definitely throws it.

3 days for Pablo and Shane
2 for Eli
& 1 for Placido (and maybe Ramon Ramirez if one can say it's intentional)
   12. Cuban X Senators Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:00 PM (#3894213)
And then there's Righetti madly running around telling Phillies, "my owner's got $10M for anyone who breaks Zito, $10M."
   13. AndrewJ Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:01 PM (#3894216)
Worley's also gotta be a serious Rookie of the Year candidate now.
   14. Justin T., Director of Somethin Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:04 PM (#3894218)
What a piece of crap Whiteside showed himself to be. Must be used to getting in fights being gray since he was 8 and all. Hopefully he doesn't become one of the backup catcher cabal who gets to be a backup catcher until he's 38 for no good reason and will just go away.
   15. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:15 PM (#3894222)
(and maybe Ramon Ramirez if one can say it's intentional)

Granted I'm biased but that pitch sure looked like Ramirez took aim and fired. It did not look like it "got away".
   16. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:18 PM (#3894224)
With Lee, Halladay, Hamels, Worley and a healthy Oswalt in the rotation, the Phils could be frightening in the 2011 Series.

Worley may not even make the post-season roster if Oswalt comes back healthy. Kendrick has handled the long relief/spot starter role very well this year. SSS, but Worley had trouble the couple of times he didn't pitch on a regular schedule. And even the tools-lovin'** Phils know that Worley's going to regress sometime.

** Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you are very good at identifying tools and how they fit.
   17. cercopithecus aethiops Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:19 PM (#3894226)
It did not look like it "got away".

True, but hitting a guy in the butt is "playing the game the right way." As opposed to throwing the ball two feet over the guy's head, where there is absolutely no chance of actually hurting anybody.
   18. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: August 06, 2011 at 03:50 PM (#3894239)
Looking at Whiteside, the recurring thought is "If he didn't have gray hair, would I still think he looked just like a young Tom Waits?"
   19. STEAGLES is all out of bubblegum Posted: August 06, 2011 at 04:42 PM (#3894256)
(Also: Rollins stole 3rd with an an 8-2 lead just before Victorino batted. Unwritten Rules violation?)
didn't he steal 2nd with 2 outs? i think that's a perfectly reasonable play, going for the extra run against the defending WS champs.
But Victorino not only takes the first step, and pushes the ump aside to get into the fray, he then gets pulled out of there, breaks free again, runs around the scrum and jumps into the back of Hensley Meulens.
yeah, vic's gotta go for a while. throwing umpires aside like he did cannot be tolerated.
Granted I'm biased but that pitch sure looked like Ramirez took aim and fired. It did not look like it "got away".
that pitch was a beanball from the outset, and just like victorino's ragdolling of the umpire, this cannot be tolerated. he needs to go for a while.

one thing i'd also like to point out is that there was no retaliation from the phillies' pitchers. i'd be very surprised if there was any retaliation today or tomorrow, either.

Worley may not even make the post-season roster if Oswalt comes back healthy.
if they started tomorrow, i'd have worley above oswalt in the playoff pecking order. oswalt needs to prove that he's something more than a 6 inning pitcher before i'd slot him ahead of the rookie, and if we're thinking about which of them would be more effective coming out of the bullpen, i'd probably give that nod to oswalt, thinking the uptick in velocity could bring him back to his peak form.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
The Piehole of David Wells
for his generous support.