Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

95.7 The Game get defensive when their social media policy is questioned

The Oakland A’s and San Francisco Giants played home games at the same time yesterday. The A’s hosted the Detroit Tigers, while the Giants faced the Chicago Cubs. Sellout crowds on both sides of the bay…....

this is more of a local story but it does lead to a bigger question on what it would take for the A’s to get out of Giants shadow in Bay Area?

The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: May 28, 2014 at 03:05 PM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: oakland a's, san francisco giants

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Downtown Bookie Posted: May 29, 2014 at 09:12 AM (#4715174)
Okay, I read the article and, to be honest, I'm not really sure what the author's gripe is, other than people are tweeting stuff that he's not interested in knowing. Excerpt from the article:

Unless you’re adding something in the form of a pertinent statistic, a little humor or something that can’t be learned from a quick glance at the boxscore, what’s the point of “live-tweeting” a game? This goes for all sports, but baseball especially. Anyone who’s on Twitter has access to MLB Gameday, which features all the information 95.7 provides plus much more.

Well, I personally like live tweets of the game (along with live race results) coming right to me on Twitter so that I don't have to keep jumping around among various apps. If I see something from the score/results that makes me curious for more info, then I'll switch apps and get further details. But again, all I get from the above paragraph is what I got from the article as a whole: people are tweeting stuff the author's not interested in, and he wants them to stop.

DB
   2. silhouetted by the sea Posted: May 29, 2014 at 09:25 AM (#4715178)
And they had better stop walking across his lawn while they are tweeting.
   3. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: May 29, 2014 at 09:27 AM (#4715179)
I had the same reaction as DB. The "live-tweeting" probably doesn't add much but I'm not sure what BASG is bothered by. It looks like there is another article where Damon Bruce who works at the station kind of goes off on BASG that is a bit more interesting. That is pretty standard "thin-skinned sports talk radio host gets panties in a bunch" type stuff though.
   4. Rusty Priske Posted: May 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM (#4715223)
Saying "what's the point of live-tweeting" is really saying "what's the point of tweeting".

You are either into Twitter or not and enough people ARE to consider it a viable medium.
   5. if nature called, ladodger34 would listen Posted: May 29, 2014 at 11:17 AM (#4715245)
I like the live tweeting of games, especially with the Dodgers TV ########### this year. It's far easier to check twitter on my phone while I am putting my daughter to sleep than it is to have the laptop open with Gameday.
   6. A triple short of the cycle Posted: May 29, 2014 at 04:46 PM (#4715659)
At least the A's aren't on Christian AM anymore.
   7. Dock Ellis on Acid Posted: May 29, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4715677)
If you find a particular Twitter funny/insightful, then live-tweeting can add just as much value to watching a game as a good announcing team.
   8. dr. scott Posted: May 29, 2014 at 05:01 PM (#4715678)
Despite his odd complaints of live tweeting games, he may bring up an interesting point, which is the A's inability to stay on the same station year after year. He posits, without much proof, that the station live tweeting a giants game during the A's game must make the A's ownership unhappy... if true this is an interesting dynamic, as the A's need stable radio provider more than they need that provider to abstain from talking about the Giants.
   9. DA Baracus Posted: May 29, 2014 at 05:10 PM (#4715688)
Play by play live tweeting a game is the worst. If I can access twitter, I can access better ways to watch the game. That said, the author's question is valid.

Soon after, I got replies from John Middlekauff (who hosts KGMZ’s 10-to-noon show with Guy Haberman) and Jason Barrett (KGMZ’s program director) defending the practice by saying they don’t discriminate against any Bay Area fans or teams. Damon Bruce chimed in with a similar thought about two hours later.

Based on Damon Bruce and John Middlekauff working at that station I assume Jason Barrett is also a douche.
   10. Poster Nutbag Posted: May 29, 2014 at 07:18 PM (#4715758)
Fwiw, BASG said he was "only having some fun". So, there's that.
   11. JE (Jason) Posted: May 29, 2014 at 10:33 PM (#4715877)
Unless you’re adding something in the form of a pertinent statistic, a little humor or something that can’t be learned from a quick glance at the boxscore, what’s the point of “live-tweeting” a game? This goes for all sports, but baseball especially. Anyone who’s on Twitter has access to MLB Gameday, which features all the information 95.7 provides plus much more.

I wonder how the author would feel about our Ray posting his thoughts about a World Series game two hours behind everyone else, all the while seemingly oblivious to the other Omnichatter comments.
   12. PreservedFish Posted: May 30, 2014 at 12:16 AM (#4715919)
At least the A's aren't on Christian AM anymore.

I loved loved loved this - Bill King and Harold Camping on the same station!
   13. Traderdave Posted: May 30, 2014 at 09:18 AM (#4715983)

I loved loved loved this - Bill King and Harold Camping on the same station!

I had more than a few chuckles about this, particularly in the morning when I'd turn on the radio and forget what station it had been on the night before. And say what you will about Camping, the man believed his own prophecy. He lived a couple blocks away from us and the deferred maintenance on his house was starting to get embarrassing. I took that as a sign of his sincerity (though not his sanity).

But WTF is up with 40+ years of radio instability? Can it be THAT hard to sign a deal and keep it? Hell, just buy an AM station. Am I missing something here? Is there some complexity about radio that I fail to see?
   14. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: May 30, 2014 at 05:34 PM (#4716265)
At one point the A's were going to buy a AM station and for whatever reason that fell through. They have been nomads throughout the years with regards to their radio stations as at one point Finley had them using the Cal-Berkeley station during the 1978 season. It was ironic that the person that negotiated with Finley to land the rights for KALX was Larry Baer.
   15. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: May 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM (#4716417)
It was ironic that the person that negotiated with Finley to land the rights for KALX was Larry Baer.

Some of the choices I made back then still stick in my craw - I thought about volunteering at KALX later in 1978 as a freshman, but needed to work and didn't think I had time. I probably would have done something for the sports department back then, met Baer and who knows...

I did end up DJing at KALX, but about 20 years later as a community member.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14!
for his generous support.