Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

974 Fans Attended Rays vs. White Sox Game at Guaranteed Rate Field

You get a foul ball!  YOU get a foul ball!!  EVERYBODY GETS A FOUL BALL!!!

Monday’s game:

And then, Tuesday’s game:

Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 11, 2018 at 04:09 PM | 70 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: nothing

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Ulysses S. Fairsmith Posted: April 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM (#5652139)
They announced on the weekend that they were moving that game from the evening to the afternoon. There were probably a significant number of people who had tickets that they couldn't use.
   2. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 12, 2018 at 10:25 AM (#5652145)
They announced on the weekend that they were moving that game from the evening to the afternoon. There were probably a significant number of people who had tickets that they couldn't use.

The announced crowd of 10,000 isn't exactly respectable.
   3. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 12, 2018 at 10:35 AM (#5652155)
If you build it ... they'll give it a pass.
   4. PreservedFish Posted: April 12, 2018 at 10:42 AM (#5652166)
Man, I love an empty ballpark - you can stretch out, enjoy the quiet - but even after multiple trips to Stade Olympique I don't think I ever attended a game that was this empty.
   5. Tom Nawrocki Posted: April 12, 2018 at 10:53 AM (#5652174)
Why were all three games in the series played in the afternoon? I like day baseball as much as the next guy, but weekday afternoon games in April are just begging for no one to show up.
   6. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 12, 2018 at 10:57 AM (#5652180)
you can stretch out, enjoy the quiet
Comiskey being whatever they're calling Comiskey these days, I'm sure they blasted music and "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS!!" between every batter anyway.
   7. Kiko Sakata Posted: April 12, 2018 at 11:41 AM (#5652213)
Why were all three games in the series played in the afternoon?

As #1 says, Monday's game was originally scheduled as a night game. It was moved because of the weather - even in the afternoon, it was only in the high 30s; at night, the temp was in the low 20s (the Cubs cancelled their home opener that was scheduled to start at the same time). I assume that was also the reason for scheduling Tuesday's game for the afternoon. If you're lucky, afternoons in April can be "baseball weather" in Chicago; that's far less likely to be the case at night (today is an extreme example of this: forecast temperature of 66 at 2pm; 45 at 9pm).
   8. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 12, 2018 at 11:55 AM (#5652228)
On the first day of school in 1954, the Nats and the A's drew a crowd of 460. SPORT magazine ran a picture of that crowd to accompany a story about how the American League was becoming a minor league.

And when the Yankees and the White Sox had but 413 people for a late September game in 1966, the Yankees fired their announcer Red Barber for order the cameramen to pan Yankee Stadium to show all the empty seats. And this was when Michael Burke was the principal owner, not Steinbrenner.
   9. Baldrick Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:07 PM (#5652241)
Guaranteed Rate Field

No. No no no no no no.

No.
   10. Greg Pope Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:08 PM (#5652243)

What usually happens when they do this? Does the team refund the tickets? Or let them be exchanged?
   11. BrianBrianson Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM (#5652256)
This is more than ten times the number of fans who attended the Maple Leafs' home opener, for which only 96 tickets were put on sale.
   12. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:30 PM (#5652264)
This is more than ten times the number of fans who attended the Maple Leafs' home opener, for which only 96 tickets were put on sale.

Why?
   13. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:42 PM (#5652282)
What usually happens when they do this? Does the team refund the tickets? Or let them be exchanged?

I believe the White Sox did an exchange. Some fans on Soxtalk were buying tickets on Stubhub with no intention of going just so they could exchange them for a game in summer. Box seats were going for like six bucks I guess. Seems implausible to me but I guess the White Sox will honor the exchange on all tickets, including those purchased and printed out via Stubhub.

It's a bad look for the White Sox but what can you do? They are in a rebuild, have a notoriously small footprint, even in their own hometown and the weather was absolutely awful. Now they get to head to Minny where the weather is going to be even worse. They'll be lucky to play two of the games up there. Probably will only get one in if the snow forecast holds.
   14. Greg Pope Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:46 PM (#5652284)
That's exactly what I was thinking, that it would be on opportunity to buy off of people who thought StubHub was the only option to dump their tickets.
   15. bfan Posted: April 12, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5652303)
Welcome to a world of, on one side, less and less care given to the ordinary ballpark fan (placing games earlier in the year to ease the burden on consecutive games) and more and more alternatives for consumers of the product to sitting in freezing weather for too long a period.
   16. BrianBrianson Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:02 PM (#5652309)
Well, I slightly exaggerated - most tickets are season tickets (probably this means mostly corporations and scalpers), corporate boxes, various contest things. 96 was the number of tickets put on sale to the general public.
   17. Nasty Nate Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:07 PM (#5652312)
But no matter how they got the tickets, weren't most of the seats actually filled for the Leafs' home opener?
   18. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:09 PM (#5652315)
Until I got to the end of the headline, I made the assumption the game was in Tampa...
   19. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5652319)
Welcome to a world of, on one side, less and less care given to the ordinary ballpark fan (placing games earlier in the year to ease the burden on consecutive games) and more and more alternatives for consumers of the product to sitting in freezing weather for too long a period.

I'd be more open to this argument if it wasn't over 20 degrees below average in April 11th, when this game was played. Without getting too political, this is probably the "new normal" for much of the upper midwest and east coast. MLB should expect to be dealing with prolonged cold snaps like this in the future.
   20. BrianBrianson Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:20 PM (#5652325)
But no matter how they got the tickets, weren't most of the seats actually filled for the Leafs' home opener?

102% of them. It's like being in Louis XI's court for dinner.
   21. Shredder Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:32 PM (#5652338)
I went to a few Peoria Chiefs games last season when I was down there for work a bit. I'm pretty sure that at the first one, there were more people in the park who had paid to be there than there ticket holders. Lots of fun, though.
   22. victor Posted: April 12, 2018 at 01:55 PM (#5652352)
I think it was last year, when I went for my first Saturday game, the upper deck had ice so they got all of us cheapskates tickets for the lower bowl. By the time the game ended, the sun was out and the concrete was so hot that I could see heat waves. I had to get rid of all my wintergear that I had on! Seems like same thing happened here too. They clsoed all the Upper Deck and sent everyone downstairs. Why dont they get everyone to sit close to the action also? Kinda looks like they did with all those people sitting in Section 148. But why not put them all behind home plate?
   23. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:02 PM (#5652360)
Why dont they get everyone to sit close to the action also? Kinda looks like they did with all those people sitting in Section 148. But why not put them all behind home plate?
Ushers are sometimes completely irrational dicks about that kind of thing. Several years ago, back when the Cubs were terrible, a friend and I went to a cold early season game against the Rockies at Wrigley. We were toward the back of the 100-level seats down the right field line, and tons of open seats in the section in front of us. We were in the shade, but maybe 12 rows in front of us was in the sun and much more pleasant. This butthole of an usher refused to let us move up despite nobody else being around.
   24. RickG Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:11 PM (#5652367)
Pretty sure the Sox did close the upper deck, at least Monday, so all the fans with 500 tickets could go down.

I said during the game, if I was Jerry, I'd go down to the field, take the mic, and tell every one of the fans they could stop by Guest Relations and get a ticket to their choice of game in June, July or August, just for coming by.
   25. PreservedFish Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:12 PM (#5652368)
#23 - He wanted baksheesh.
   26. Jay Z Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:17 PM (#5652376)
What's wrong with Guaranteed Rate Field? At least they are contributing some cash to the business. Why does the Comiskey name needs to be preserved for all time? Those people haven't owned the business for 59 years,and were selling fresh off a 0 for 39 streak. The team has had more years post Comiskey than there were years.
   27. Nasty Nate Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:21 PM (#5652380)
What's wrong with Guaranteed Rate Field?
It sounds stupid.
   28. Random Transaction Generator Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:22 PM (#5652383)

Why?

He's mistaken.

The "96 tickets on sale" is the reported amount (by CBC) of PLAYOFF tickets that were made available to the general public (for the first Leafs home playoff game early next week) after ALL of the season ticket holders, corporate sponsors, players, officials, and "pre-sales" for Maple Leaf insiders (extra tickets available for fan club members and more seats (beyond the ones they own) for season ticket holders).

What it means is that most if not ALL of the people that had a chance at playoff tickets made sure to get them, and then some more, before the "general public" got a chance at them.

29. Zonk is One Individual Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5652386)
On the couple of occasions I've gotten challenged by ushers to sneak into better seats either late game or at a lightly attended game, I've always been successfully with the "Woe is me, I'm such an incompetent with this new-fangled smart phone thing, I think I must have deleted my ticket, {how long/how much patience do have to watch me 'fumble' with apps, e-mail searches, etc'}"

Of course, this is harder to do if you're with someone - as you both need to demonstrate suspiciously identical smartphone incompetence - but I have successfully run the gambit with a buddy, too.

I think it's also a good idea to go to another section around the field rather than trying to go straight down... make a detour to the beer stand or something.
   30. Baldrick Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5652393)

It sounds very very stupid.
   31. Karl from NY Posted: April 12, 2018 at 02:35 PM (#5652403)
It's not only a corporate name, but a corporate name that rubs corporate financial statements right in your face.
   32. BDC Posted: April 12, 2018 at 03:03 PM (#5652445)
No usher has asked to see my ticket since the 2015 playoffs. I sense a great malaise among the ushers of Major League Baseball.
   33. Crispix Attacksel Rios Posted: April 12, 2018 at 03:18 PM (#5652451)
It's not only a corporate name, but a corporate name that rubs corporate financial statements right in your face.

Also for some reason people don't like their new team logo being a giant red arrow pointing down.
   34. Non-Youkilidian Geometry Posted: April 12, 2018 at 03:25 PM (#5652456)

It sounds very very very stupid.
   35. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 12, 2018 at 03:36 PM (#5652465)
No usher has asked to see my ticket since the 2015 playoffs.
They know you're suffering enough with the temperature, no matter where you sit.
   36. Hysterical & Useless Posted: April 12, 2018 at 04:56 PM (#5652533)
If you're lucky, afternoons in April can be "baseball weather" in Chicago

I spent an April in Chicago for work about 15 years ago, hoped I'd get to see a Cubs game. Arrived on March 31st, it was sunny and pleasant, in the low 70s. I don't believe there was a single day after that when the temperature got as high as 50, and evenings were significantly cooler. No way I was going to a night game.
   37. QLE Posted: April 12, 2018 at 05:57 PM (#5652578)

It sounds like a sleazy condo development, not a ballpark.
   38. Cowboy Popup Posted: April 12, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5652598)
What happened to calling it "The Cell?" I thought that was a good take on the corporate naming BS.

Has there been a thread for renaming this park yet?
   39. Kiko Sakata Posted: April 12, 2018 at 06:47 PM (#5652607)
What happened to calling it "The Cell"?

"The Cell" was a take on U.S. Cellular Field. Which is no longer the official name. U.S. Cellular left Chicago (do they still exist anywhere) and the park was renamed Guaranteed Rate Field, which so far has not spawned a nickname.
   40. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 12, 2018 at 07:02 PM (#5652618)
"The Cell" was a take on U.S. Cellular Field. Which is no longer the official name. U.S. Cellular left Chicago (do they still exist anywhere) and the park was renamed Guaranteed Rate Field, which so far has not spawned a nickname.

not only does the name absolutely suck balls, even for a corporate sponsor the White Sox fans get to have the additional indignity of a giant, red down arrow plastered prominently around the grounds.

it sucks. sometimes the white sox are their own worst enemy when it comes to building their brand. I do not think they could have made a worse choice here. Is it big deal? Not really. Will it matter any bit when they (hopefully) start contending in 2020? No, but it certainly is not helping grow the fanbase either. IMO they've have been better accepting a slightly lower bid just for the branding.

Like Safeco is a shitty insurance company but it kinda roles off the tongue: "Safeco Field". And Safeco doesn't make use of a giant red down arrow either. So they got that going for them.
   41. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: April 12, 2018 at 07:13 PM (#5652626)
the park was renamed Guaranteed Rate Field, which so far has not spawned a nickname.

Grate Field?
   42. Cowboy Popup Posted: April 12, 2018 at 08:23 PM (#5652687)

Understood. I'm still calling it The Cell. Joins Pac Bell, Enron and the above mentioned SafeCo as expired corporate names I'm sticking with.
   43. PreservedFish Posted: April 12, 2018 at 08:38 PM (#5652702)
Joins Pac Bell... and the above mentioned SafeCo as expired corporate names I'm sticking with.

You must be referring to China Basin and Cascadia Field, right?
   44. Shredder Posted: April 13, 2018 at 12:42 AM (#5652892)
I went to a few Peoria Chiefs games last season when I was down there for work a bit. I'm pretty sure that at the first one, there were more people in the park who had paid to be there than there ticket holders. Lots of fun, though.
Ugh, this makes no sense. What I meant to say is that there were more people in the stadium who were paid to be there (players, ushers, etc.) than people who paid to get in.
   45. SoSH U at work Posted: April 13, 2018 at 08:13 AM (#5652923)
Has there been a thread for renaming this park yet?

Nope, not yet.
   46. Steve Parris, Je t'aime Posted: April 13, 2018 at 09:13 AM (#5652946)
If nothing else, "Guaranteed Rate" Field sounds inhospitable to ARMs.
   47. BDC Posted: April 13, 2018 at 09:19 AM (#5652948)
Chicago people must call the place "Sox Park," – or not? Growing up, I never heard "Comiskey" very much; it was always "Sox Park," and in fact Wrigley was usually "Cubs Park." The el stop is still called Sox-35th.
   48. DavidFoss Posted: April 13, 2018 at 09:25 AM (#5652953)
If nothing else, "Guaranteed Rate" Field sounds inhospitable to ARMs.

I wonder if the White Sox use demand-based ticket prices.
   49. Kiko Sakata Posted: April 13, 2018 at 09:51 AM (#5652969)
Chicago people must call the place "Sox Park," – or not?

Speaking as one Chicagoan who lives on the North Side, I tend to refer to that place as "Comiskey". I think, however, that you are correct that the most common name used by Chicagoans is "Sox Park". As #38 suggests, "The Cell" caught on quite a bit and, for a few years was almost universally used, even (especially?) by sports media. But for whatever reason, the nickname didn't survive the re-"branding" of the ballpark.

The nickname based on "Guaranteed Rate" Field that I've heard is "Guaranteed Loss" Field, but I'm pretty sure that's far more popular on my side of the city than the other.

And I can't recall ever hearing anybody refer to the ballpark where the Cubs play as anything but "Wrigley" (almost universally "Wrigley Field" although at least one 7th-inning stretch singer took some grief for referring to "Wrigley Stadium" - I want to say NASCAR driver Jeff Gordon maybe?).
   50. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: April 13, 2018 at 10:00 AM (#5652975)
The changing of the name from one corporate name to another is the worst. Its still The Cell in my head.
   51. SoSH U at work Posted: April 13, 2018 at 10:19 AM (#5652986)
My father inlaw never calls them anything but Sox Park and Cubs Park.
   52. Greg Pope Posted: April 13, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5652991)
Don't the Sox technically call it "Comiskey Park at Guaranted Rate Field"? I seem to recall a promise to always call it Comiskey, and when they went to US Cellular, they "kept" their promise in the same way as Los Angeles Angels on Anaheim did.
   53. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 13, 2018 at 10:32 AM (#5653000)
On the couple of occasions I've gotten challenged by ushers to sneak into better seats either late game or at a lightly attended game, I've always been successfully with the "Woe is me, I'm such an incompetent with this new-fangled smart phone thing, I think I must have deleted my ticket, {how long/how much patience do have to watch me 'fumble' with apps, e-mail searches, etc'}"

Of course, this is harder to do if you're with someone - as you both need to demonstrate suspiciously identical smartphone incompetence - but I have successfully run the gambit with a buddy, too.

I think it's also a good idea to go to another section around the field rather than trying to go straight down... make a detour to the beer stand or something.

Just give the guy $10, and he'll walk you down to the best seats available.
   54. PreservedFish Posted: April 13, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5653008)
Sounds like I'll be voting for Sox Park.
   55. spycake Posted: April 13, 2018 at 12:12 PM (#5653170)
Don't the Sox technically call it "Comiskey Park at Guaranted Rate Field"? I seem to recall a promise to always call it Comiskey, and when they went to US Cellular, they "kept" their promise in the same way as Los Angeles Angels on Anaheim did.

Not according to Wikipedia. It was Comiskey until 2003, then US Cellular, then Guaranteed Rate in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaranteed_Rate_Field
   56. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: April 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM (#5653226)
on't the Sox technically call it "Comiskey Park at Guaranted Rate Field"? I seem to recall a promise to always call it Comiskey, and when they went to US Cellular, they "kept" their promise in the same way as Los Angeles Angels on Anaheim did.

Not according to Wikipedia. It was Comiskey until 2003, then US Cellular, then Guaranteed Rate in 2016.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guaranteed_Rate_Field

Wait, wait, wait, when was it Cominskey Field for like an hour or something?
   57. Cowboy Popup Posted: April 13, 2018 at 02:19 PM (#5653295)
You must be referring to China Basin and Cascadia Field, right?

Must be, stupid auto-correct!

Are these the names Thinkfactory elected for those two parks? Is there like, a Hall-of-Merit like section on the site for those threads or a central glossary of the names the community chose? I'm very open to adopting new names for many of these parks. Except Enron.
   58. This is going to be state of the art wall Posted: April 13, 2018 at 02:29 PM (#5653306)
Wait, wait, wait, when was it Cominskey Field for like an hour or something?

yes.
   59. SoSH U at work Posted: April 13, 2018 at 03:05 PM (#5653335)
Are these the names Thinkfactory elected for those two parks?

They are indeed Cowboy. There's no section, but all of the names, except the newest entry, are listed in the lede-in to this thread.

We welcome your participation. We'll be taking the series to South Beach next.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsstand/discussion/taking_back_the_ballparks_detroit_tigers
   60. Greg Pope Posted: April 13, 2018 at 04:46 PM (#5653445)

Right, but I seem to remember them making a big deal about keeping something Comiskey. Like maybe it's not in the name, but the playing field is called Comiskey? Google is not backing me up here, though.
   61. Cowboy Popup Posted: April 13, 2018 at 07:22 PM (#5653510)
Cool, thanks SoSH! I greatly enjoy and appreciate the effort.
   62. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: April 13, 2018 at 08:34 PM (#5653564)
I seem to remember them making a big deal about keeping something Comiskey. Like maybe it's not in the name, but the playing field is called Comiskey? Google is not backing me up here, though.

Could it be the communal trough in the men's room?
   63. RMc's Daps of the Dope Artists Posted: April 13, 2018 at 08:47 PM (#5653577)
Now they get to head to Minny where the weather is going to be even worse. They'll be lucky to play two of the games up there. Probably will only get one in if the snow forecast holds.

(insert global warming joke here)
   64. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: April 13, 2018 at 08:53 PM (#5653583)
(insert global warming joke here)
Actually, don't.
   65. McCoy Posted: April 14, 2018 at 08:41 AM (#5653708)
I went to a game a few years back where nobody went to it.
   66. I Knew A Guy Who Knew A Guy Who Knew Rey Ordonez Posted: April 14, 2018 at 03:47 PM (#5653843)
Nobody goes to White Sox games anymore. It's too crowded.
   67. manchestermets Posted: April 14, 2018 at 04:27 PM (#5653862)
Just give the guy $10, and he'll walk you down to the best seats available.

To pay is to fail.

I went to the Sox home opener in 2003. There was a long rain delay, about two hours and I ended up buying a White Sox hoodie 3 sizes too big to keep warm so I obviously wan't the only one who hadn't dressed warmly enough.
   68. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: April 14, 2018 at 10:16 PM (#5653995)
I went to a game a few years back where nobody went to it.

On the day that Roger Maris was primed to break Babe Ruth's record in a twi-nighter in Baltimore, a high school friend of mine and I took a bus up from DC in a morning rainstorm, in order to beat the expected sellout crowd (ho, ho), and wound up having Memorial Stadium entirely to ourselves, playing field and all, until the ushers showed up around 3:00 for a 6:00 1st game and spotted us on the outskirts of the infield tarp. We somehow managed to talk our way into staying without paying, by convincing an Orioles coach (Jimmy Adair) that one of the Orioles radio announcers (Joe Croghan) wanted to see my friend's notebook stuffed with special Maris and Mantle statistics. It was a pretty damn well played bluff for a 17 year old who wound up being a high school dropout.
   69. Dag Nabbit at ExactlyAsOld.com Posted: April 15, 2018 at 10:44 AM (#5654064)
I said during the game, if I was Jerry, I'd go down to the field, take the mic, and tell every one of the fans they could stop by Guest Relations and get a ticket to their choice of game in June, July or August, just for coming by.

Something the White Sox often do at their final home game of the season: as people leave the park after the game, they are given a free ticket voucher: they can go to any game in April or May of the next year (except Opening Day). It's free if they want the cheap seats, or you can upgrade for a reduced price.
   70. SouthSideRyan Posted: April 15, 2018 at 11:04 AM (#5654067)
Guessing the Illinois Facilities Management, or whatever the name of the racket that got this park built(and rehabbed) is, will be collecting it's bonus revenue this year on additional tickets sold.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Backlasher
for his generous support.