Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, September 04, 2014

After 10 years, Erik Cordier arrives in the big leagues throwing 101-mph heat

Erik Cordier arrived in the big leagues Wednesday, overrun by adrenaline and armed with a triple-digit fastball. He entered the game for the San Francisco Giants in the seventh inning, making his MLB debut doing mop up duty in a 9-2 Giants loss. But mop-up duty quickly turned into a radar-gun wowing performance… He threw 16 pitches that were 100 mph or faster, which, according to Eye on Baseball, ranks Cordier fifth in MLB this season for number of pitches topping 100 mph. And he did it in one inning…

If you’re wondering why you’ve never heard of this fireball-throwing prospect before, there’s good reason. Cordier isn’t a prospect at all. He’s 28 and was drafted in 2004. His journey to the big leagues has been 10 years in the making — including Tommy John surgery, two missed seasons and four organizations…

it wasn’t all good for Cordier on Thursday. He walked a batter and hit another. He didn’t give up any hits or runs, which is promising, but his very first pitch did sail over Buster Posey’s head to the backstop… But 100-mph is the great equalizer. It will raise eyebrows whether you’re a high-school kid, a college draft-pick, a top prospect or even an MLB relief pitcher 10 years in the making.

The District Attorney Posted: September 04, 2014 at 05:01 PM | 25 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: erik cordier, giants

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. CFBF Is A Golden Spider Duck Posted: September 04, 2014 at 05:28 PM (#4785667)
Or as he will always be known to Braves' fans, "The return for Tony Pena Jr."
   2. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 04, 2014 at 05:49 PM (#4785677)
it wasn’t all good for Cordier on Thursday. He walked a batter and hit another. He didn’t give up any hits or runs, which is promising, but his very first pitch did sail over Buster Posey’s head to the backstop . . .

Perhaps intentional? 100+ MPH is tough to hit under any circumstances, but worrying about getting hit can't make it easier, I would think.
   3. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: September 04, 2014 at 06:13 PM (#4785689)
I don't know that it's particularly intentional. He has had control problems for years.
   4. Zach Posted: September 04, 2014 at 06:29 PM (#4785695)
Or as he will always be known to Braves' fans, "The return for Tony Pena Jr."

I remember Royals fans having a one day freakout about that trade. In retrospect, the 2007 Royals needed a shortstop a lot more than the 2014 Royals needed a reliever.
   5. zack Posted: September 04, 2014 at 06:42 PM (#4785706)
It's kind of amazing that for a guy who throws 100mph with terrible control, his age 26 season was the first time he wasn't exclusively a starter. His age 27 was the first time he relieved full time, and suddenly he's striking out 11 per 9 rather than 7 with the same (awful) walk rate.
   6. tshipman Posted: September 04, 2014 at 06:55 PM (#4785709)
Perhaps intentional? 100+ MPH is tough to hit under any circumstances, but worrying about getting hit can't make it easier, I would think.

Can't imagine he's too popular with catchers either ...

Geez, you get crossed up and all of a sudden you're wearing one for a week.
   7. RMc is a fine piece of cheese Posted: September 04, 2014 at 08:58 PM (#4785765)
100 MPH makes me think of this song...
   8. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 04, 2014 at 10:03 PM (#4785805)
I remember really liking this kid waaaaay back in the day. He could never stay healthy though. His dad used to go on Royals message boards and chat with us - friendly at first, until after awhile we started saying he probably wouldn't reach the big leagues because he was hurt. Then he started writing nasty retorts. So if your kid ever plays pro sports, don't go on the internet.
   9. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: September 05, 2014 at 12:07 AM (#4785865)
if your kid ever plays pro sports, don't go on the internet.

Any1 one remember who it was that took to the internet and offered to let people buy into him like a stock. That is, you would collect a % of any his career earnings if he made the majors. I recall thinking if he was willing to make that offer, then he very likely knew he'd never make the majors. I certainly don't think he ever did.
   10. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: September 05, 2014 at 12:09 AM (#4785866)
Oh and on that note, any1 remember who was it, a Dodgers relief prospect I think, whose family bought acres of land that turned out to be on top of valuable mining minerals. But the catch 22 was they had to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars unearthing it. Money they wouldn't have unless he made it to the majors. Don't think he ever panned out either.
   11. The District Attorney Posted: September 05, 2014 at 12:16 AM (#4785869)
any1 remember who was it, a Dodgers relief prospect I think, whose family bought acres of land that turned out to be on top of valuable mining minerals.
Matt White.
   12. Spahn Insane Posted: September 05, 2014 at 12:33 AM (#4785872)
I'd never heard that Matt White story. That's really weird.
   13. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: September 05, 2014 at 01:01 AM (#4785880)
Ahh that's it. Thanks. Seems like he turned a buck or two off it, but I wonder if ever really struck the ludicrously rich tier, that it was supposedly worth.
   14. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: September 05, 2014 at 08:11 AM (#4785919)
Any1 one remember who it was that took to the internet and offered to let people buy into him like a stock. That is, you would collect a % of any his career earnings if he made the majors. I recall thinking if he was willing to make that offer, then he very likely knew he'd never make the majors. I certainly don't think he ever did.
It was Randy Newsom, who indeed never made it to the majors.
   15. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: September 05, 2014 at 08:43 AM (#4785931)
Interesting... It appears Newsom got a law degree at Boston College and is at it again. This time with the NFL and his new company Fantex.

It seems to be a bad idea all around. But credit to Newsom for being able to step away from his dream and pursue a higher level degree.
   16. Win Big Stein's Money Posted: September 05, 2014 at 09:05 AM (#4785941)
I take it back. Further Googling leads me to suspect Newsom as moar of a con man/scam artist. Fuck him.
   17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: September 05, 2014 at 09:06 AM (#4785942)
When Cordier was pitching for the Pirates a couple of years ago, he looked like a guy who belonged in the majors. They just didn't have room for him on the roster.

Glad to see him finally get a shot.
   18. Ron J2 Posted: September 05, 2014 at 09:19 AM (#4785947)
#2 The wild warmup was a big part of Ryne Duren's arsenal. That and the thick glasses. He'd peer in the general direction of home plate and launch a plus fastball over the backstop.
   19. SandyRiver Posted: September 05, 2014 at 09:28 AM (#4785953)
One scout said of Duren, "He can throw the ball through a brick wall, if he can see the wall."
   20. AROM Posted: September 05, 2014 at 09:49 AM (#4785965)
When Troy Percival first came up, he didn't wear contacts or glasses. He would lean over and squint to see the catcher's signs before every pitch. Throwing as hard as he did, that probably freaked out quite a few hitters. I always wondered how much of that he just did for effect.
   21. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: September 05, 2014 at 09:53 AM (#4785968)

#2 The wild warmup was a big part of Ryne Duren's arsenal. That and the thick glasses. He'd peer in the general direction of home plate and launch a plus fastball over the backstop.

Nuke Laloosh too.
   22. The kids disappeared, now Der-K has too much candy Posted: September 05, 2014 at 10:00 AM (#4785970)
Cordier has always seemed like he's on the radar of big league team, just in case he eventually figured it out. This felt like the year he'd finally get a callup, given that the Giants gave him a 40 man spot last offseason as a minor league free agent.
   23. Greg Pope thinks the Cubs are reeking havoc Posted: September 05, 2014 at 10:01 AM (#4785971)
I seem to recall that Frank Thomas was considering some sort of stock thing. But this would have been after he was in the majors for a while.
   24. Greg Pope thinks the Cubs are reeking havoc Posted: September 05, 2014 at 10:05 AM (#4785973)
This article by Michael Lewis from 2007 contains this:

Not very long ago, when Wall Street considered making individual human beings into securities, it looked to the bond market; for example, in 1998, when SPP Hambro & Co. tried to sell stakes in Frank Thomas, then the Chicago White Sox’s first baseman, they were going to take the form of $20 million in bonds backed by Thomas’ baseball salary.
   25. ReggieThomasLives Posted: September 07, 2014 at 02:38 PM (#4787108)
I expect investment in players futures will start happening, given how aggressively MLB teams have become in locking up their best homegrown players. The teams have huge leverage because the player has to fade 3 years of minimum salaries and 3 years of arbitration awards, none that are guaranteed, until they can finally cash in at market value. It's smarter to lock down a medium payday than to take all that risk to hopefully get a big payday.

But players could insure their risk somehow, the discounts wouldn't nearly be so massive. For example, when Evan Longoria made the majors, he signed a $17M/7 year deal that covered his pre-arb and arb years, at a big discount to his expected arb awards. But Tampa Bay also optioned up his first 3 free agent years at $7.5M (or $3M buyout), $11M, and $11M. That's roughly $40M below market for those three years alone and pushes him out towards the end of his prime, costing more in the lost opportunity to lockup a 10 year $200M+ type deal. You can easily make the case that signing his first deal with Tampa meant giving up $60M+ on average in future earnings.

If you were a group of investors able to fund it, why not offer to guarantee Evans first $17M in earnings, in return for 20-30% of his next $100M? Risk is super low, solid gains are almost guaranteed, guaranteed money only tied up for 5 years on average. It ensures makes an extra $20m or so in his arb years alone, then signs a $23M a year long term deal and even after paying his insurers $20m-$30m, makes an extra $60M in his first 7 years, and more later because thus allowed him to lock down the longest and highest AAV contract possible in his early prime years.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Traderdave
for his generous support.