Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, September 24, 2012

AL playoff race: September 24, 2012

AL East

NYY 89-64 [14-8 in SEPT]
BAL 88-66 [15-8 in SEPT] (1.5 GB)

AL Central

CWS 82-71 [10-12 in SEPT]
DET 81-72 [11-11 in SEPT] (1 GB)

AL Wildcard

BAL 88-66 [15-8 in SEPT] (1.5 GA)
OAK 86-67 [12-10 in SEPT]
LAA 84-69 [12-8 in SEPT] (2 GB)
TBR 83-70 [12-9 in SEPT] (3 GB)

MLB.com: Pettitte breezes past Twins, adding to Yanks’ lead
MLB.com: [GAME 1] Jones’ four hits lead Orioles to Game 1 win
MLB.com: [GAME 2] Orioles drop nightcap, lose ground in East race
MLB.com: Dunn’s two HRs keep White Sox alone in first
MLB.com: Tigers’ pursuit gains steam behind Verlander
MLB.com: Rangers 5, A’s 4

NTNgod Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:11 PM | 55 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: angels, athletics, orioles, pennant race, rangers, rays, tigers, white sox, yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM (#4244765)
for ####'s sake, someone take tyson ross to the glue factory and give him an enthralling tour that will last until the season is over
   2. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:24 PM (#4244769)
i am pretty sure at this point that bill bergen could get a game-winning hit off of ross and he's been dead for decades
   3. Spivey Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4244771)
ADRIAN ############# BELTRE #############
   4. The Yankee Clapper Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM (#4244773)
Jeter extends his hitting streak to 18 games; Granderson joins Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle & Jason Giambi in having back-to-back 40 HR seasons; and Andy Pettitte lowers his ERA to 2.71 with 6 shutout innings. A good night.
   5. Gamingboy Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:29 PM (#4244774)
*Is in deep Orioles pessimism mode*
   6. Walks Clog Up the Bases Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:37 PM (#4244778)
Man, these are some crushing losses for Oakland.

And look out. Adam Dunn is close to cockblocking Miggy's bid for the Triple Crown.
   7. ajnrules Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:41 PM (#4244779)
Can't believe they walked Hamilton intentionally to load the bases for Beltre. Was that dumb or was that dumb?

I knew that the Rangers would have a good shot at winning if Ross came into the game.
   8. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4244781)
with tyson ross in the game all subsequent decisions are meaningless
   9. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4244782)
Tyson Ross was pitching. It wouldn't have mattered.

Edit - Coke to Athletic Supporter
   10. President of the David Eckstein Fan Club Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:44 PM (#4244783)
Can't believe they walked Hamilton intentionally to load the bases for Beltre. Was that dumb or was that dumb?

With Tyson Ross pitching, I'm not sure it really mattered.

Heh, two cokes.
   11. rlc Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:51 PM (#4244789)
Adam Dunn is close to cockblocking Miggy's bid for the Triple Crown.

Hamilton hit his 43rd tonight to move back into the HR lead.
   12. Belfry Bob Posted: September 24, 2012 at 11:59 PM (#4244795)
Chen was on fumes for the O's. He really looked like toast out there. It's suck it up time, fellahs. You want to play with the big boys, you've got to beat the Jays.
   13. Dr. Vaux Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:31 AM (#4244816)
It was electric in there today, though. Until this year, I thought those days were gone for good at Camden Yards until some kind of realignment put the Orioles in an AL South division.
   14. Good cripple hitter Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:41 AM (#4244823)
You want to play with the big boys, you've got to beat the Jays.

You're not joking about that. The Jays winning percentage against AL contenders goes from .222 (4 and 14 vs Tampa) to .500 (4 and 4 vs LA):

TM   W   L    WP
ATL  1   2   .333
BAL  6   10  .375
CHW  4   6   .400
DET  2   4   .333
LAA  4   4   .500
MIL  1   2   .333
NYY  5   9   .357
OAK  4   5   .444
TBR  4   14  .222
TEX  3   6   .333
WSN  0   3   .000 
   15. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: September 25, 2012 at 01:08 AM (#4244840)
Chen was on fumes for the O's. He really looked like toast out there. It's suck it up time, fellahs. You want to play with the big boys, you've got to beat the Jays.

Until that grand slam, I was quite certain the Orioles were going to win the nightcap.

I still say they're pretty much a lock for the playoffs, I figure they should clinch the second wild card this weekend against Boston (that'll be nice for the home fans, to get to see them celebrate on the field, instead of on TV).

O's had a nice, funny "thank you fans" video on the big board today. I wonder if they'll play that all home stand.
   16. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 06:07 AM (#4244891)
Until that grand slam, I was quite certain the Orioles were going to win the nightcap.
When Buck failed to pinch run for Teagarden, causing him to twice fail to score, I figured there was no way they were going to win.
   17. DKDC Posted: September 25, 2012 at 07:30 AM (#4244902)
I still say they're pretty much a lock for the playoffs, I figure they should clinch the second wild card this weekend against Boston (that'll be nice for the home fans, to get to see them celebrate on the field, instead of on TV).

It would be much nicer to clinch the AL East this weekend. It's a bit of a tall order - they can only afford one loss OR one Yankee win. They are probably going to clinch in Tampa or back in Baltimore for game 163.
   18. boteman is not here 'til October Posted: September 25, 2012 at 07:39 AM (#4244907)
When Buck failed to pinch run for Teagarden, causing him to twice fail to score, I figured there was no way they were going to win.

So Teagarden is only useful in extra innings then???
   19. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 08:24 AM (#4244923)
####### Vinnie Pestano. I don't know if he'd given up three ####### runs all season before last nite. He always looks like Mariano Q. Gossage when he faces the Tigers.
   20. spycake Posted: September 25, 2012 at 08:40 AM (#4244928)

Runners at 2nd and 3rd, nobody out in the bottom of the 6th, down by a run, Jones/Davis/Reynolds due up, facing a reliever who has struggled recently, in the second game of a doubleheader... not sure that's an instant "pinch run for your catcher at third" situation. I'm mean, you're usually going to have not only two decent shots at a deep sac fly there, but three chances at a simple hit to score the run. I guess Teagarden's not much of an upgrade over Luis Esposito, so that's an argument in favor of the move... but subbing Esposito at that point, with Weiters off limits due to the doubleheader, you remove the ability to pinch hit for the catcher later in the game, which isn't an unlikely scenario in a close game, and would likely provide a greater marginal upgrade than pinch running.
   21. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 09:12 AM (#4244948)
I'd just like to say I admire DKDC's confidence in his posts. I don't know that I think he's right--the Yankees are pretty clearly in the driver's seat at this point--but you have to respect someone backing their team that way.

Of course, you could have said the same thing about RDP last season (or me, in August) so there's always that risk, but it's a nice change from the typical reverse jinx silliness.
   22. DKDC Posted: September 25, 2012 at 09:52 AM (#4244999)
I go through my Debbie Downer phases, but generally I don’t find that expecting the worst is a very fun way to be a fan.

Of course there’s a chance that the O’s collapse and miss the playoffs, but am I really going to feel better about that if I acted like the world’s biggest pessimist for the last 10 days of the season? I don’t think being able to say “I told you so” will make that feel any less crappy.

The Yankees have a small advantage in the standings right now. The Yankees are probably a more talented team (although I don’t think I’d concede that point if Markakis and Hammel were healthy). The Yankees probably have easier opponents, but they have a tougher travel schedule.

But, it’s only a week’s worth of games, so just about anything can happen. My (figurative) money is on the young, hungry team that has shown incredible resilience all year and has come up big in tougher spots than this.
   23. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM (#4245013)
Runners at 2nd and 3rd,
Actually, it was 1st and 2nd and then bases loaded.
nobody out in the bottom of the 6th, down by a run, Jones/Davis/Reynolds due up, facing a reliever who has struggled recently, in the second game of a doubleheader... not sure that's an instant "pinch run for your catcher at third" situation. I'm mean, you're usually going to have not only two decent shots at a deep sac fly there, but three chances at a simple hit to score the run.
And, in fact, they had two chances to score, and he was unable to, twice, because of his "speed.". He could not, in fact, score on a sac fly.
I guess Teagarden's not much of an upgrade over Luis Esposito, so that's an argument in favor of the move... but subbing Esposito at that point, with Weiters off limits due to the doubleheader, you remove the ability to pinch hit for the catcher later in the game, which isn't an unlikely scenario in a close game, and would likely provide a greater marginal upgrade than pinch running.
Exsqueeze me? Unless I missed an announcement where Wieters had been injured, "off limits"?!?!?! This isn't spring training. This is the end of September of an incredibly tight pennant race, the first the Os have been in in 15 years. He can catch a few more innings.
   24. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM (#4245016)
Of course there’s a chance that the O’s collapse and miss the playoffs
If the O's go 4-4, the Angels have to go 8-1 to force a playoff game.

They're in. Enjoy the next week.
   25. flournoy Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:04 AM (#4245017)
I think Wieters is up against his innings limit. Shut him down.
   26. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:05 AM (#4245019)
He could not, in fact, score on a sac fly.
95% of the time he would have scored there. That was an amazing, perfect throw.
   27. David Nieporent (now, with children) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:20 AM (#4245040)
95% of the time he would have scored there. That was an amazing, perfect throw.
Amazing? It was accurate, but it's not like it was Clemente-esqe or anything. And he was out by several steps.
   28. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:34 AM (#4245053)
Personally I dont get why Melvin felt the need to pull Straily, who has had a week of rest and had only thrown 6 pitches in the 6th inning, had to come out after 2 outs in the 7th after everyone was aware how gassed the bullpen was. Then he compounds it by bringing in 2 pitchers who were part of the madness from the weekend and has Ross pitch the 9th?
   29. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM (#4245126)
Hamilton was something like 0-6 with 5 K's vs Blevins, plus Melvin has been very careful with some of the young guys (holding pitch counts to 100), so I sort of get that move in a normal situation, where the bullpen is more ready to go. This is where losing Anderson and McCarthy is killing them.
   30. Chris Fluit Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:52 AM (#4245139)
I go through my Debbie Downer phases, but generally I don’t find that expecting the worst is a very fun way to be a fan.

Of course there’s a chance that the O’s collapse and miss the playoffs, but am I really going to feel better about that if I acted like the world’s biggest pessimist for the last 10 days of the season? I don’t think being able to say “I told you so” will make that feel any less crappy.

The Yankees have a small advantage in the standings right now. The Yankees are probably a more talented team (although I don’t think I’d concede that point if Markakis and Hammel were healthy). The Yankees probably have easier opponents, but they have a tougher travel schedule.

But, it’s only a week’s worth of games, so just about anything can happen. My (figurative) money is on the young, hungry team that has shown incredible resilience all year and has come up big in tougher spots than this.

Agreed. I was cautious early in the season. I told one friend that the Nationals were for real but that I wasn't sure about the O's. I told my wife that I thought it was more likely that the O's would collapse than the Jays even though the O's were in first place at the time. But as the season progressed, I've become more and more impressed with this team. They've fixed holes. They've found capable starters. They've survived injuries. They're still winning with string and bailing wire, but at least it's no longer smoke and mirrors. For now, this is the most fun I've had watching baseball in a long, long time. I'm enjoying it. I'm excited about it. Plus, with this young core and the prospects on their way, the future doesn't look too bad either.
   31. Danny Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:18 PM (#4245190)
Personally I dont get why Melvin felt the need to pull Straily, who has had a week of rest and had only thrown 6 pitches in the 6th inning, had to come out after 2 outs in the 7th after everyone was aware how gassed the bullpen was. Then he compounds it by bringing in 2 pitchers who were part of the madness from the weekend and has Ross pitch the 9th?

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing in Blevins and Neshek as LOOGY/ROOGY. They're both better than Straily in those situations.

I would have much rather seen Scribner or Miller than Ross in the 9th, assuming Balfour and Doolittle were unavailable.
   32. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:35 PM (#4245209)
Hamilton was something like 0-6 with 5 K's vs Blevins

Blevins needed to be throwing strikes in that situation, is what I am thinking.
   33. spycake Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:38 PM (#4245214)
Amazing? It was accurate, but it's not like it was Clemente-esqe or anything. And he was out by several steps.

Doesn't this suggest that even a pinch-runner may have not scored there?

I think your approach is reasonable, but so was Buck's in this case. And unless the one run magically inspires Buck to remove Arrieta and prevent the grand slam, it's probably moot anyway.

I think the more important question is, why won't the Jays lose when you finally want them to?
   34. cardsfanboy Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM (#4245228)

One of the best lines I've read in a long time.
   35. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: September 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM (#4245230)
I would make the argument that normally I would agree except for the fact the Blevins is probably gassed from pitching a lot in high stress situations the last few days and that Neshek is a gimmick pitcher who is starting to lose his effectiveness. That was his 3rd hr given up in 17 innings.
   36. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: September 25, 2012 at 01:20 PM (#4245259)

I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing in Blevins and Neshek as LOOGY/ROOGY. They're both better than Straily in those situations.

I agree with this, but ... if you are Bob Melvin, and you have made up your mind on availability, and you apparently know that if you pull Straily you're going to need to bring in Tyson Ross in the 9th (surely the game did not change state in a way FAVORING the entrance of Ross), you bite the bullet and keep Straily in now so you don't have to use Ross at all. You don't get to the 9th inning and be like "well, ####, I guess I have to use Ross now." Also, I know what actually happened, but 2 outs and nobody on in the 7th up 2 is not that high leverage a situation, would rather have the good relievers out there to start an inning. ####, bring in Tyson Ross in that situation and pull him when he gets in trouble, don't do it ass-backwards.

I don't even want to consider the possibility that there exist some advanced analytics somewhere pushing the team to use Ross in any high-leverage situation. Math is great, but it's not that great.
   37. Spivey Posted: September 25, 2012 at 01:26 PM (#4245270)
I was shocked when I saw that Oakland was bringing in a pitcher with Ross' numbers in the 9th inning of arguably the most important game left in the season.
   38. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: September 25, 2012 at 05:03 PM (#4245542)
If the O's go 4-4, the Angels have to go 8-1 to force a playoff game.
They're in. Enjoy the next week.
It's over. It's always been over.
   39. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: September 25, 2012 at 09:15 PM (#4245749)
LET'S-GO OAK-LAND!

No, seriously, let's go.
   40. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: September 25, 2012 at 09:28 PM (#4245760)
Probably too little, too late but Tampa is making a nice last gasp, after what seemed like a deathblow road trip to Baltimore and New York.
   41. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 09:52 PM (#4245776)
Probably too little, too late but Tampa is making a nice last gasp, after what seemed like a deathblow road trip to Baltimore and New York.
Maybe they'll try and convince everyone they actually play in the AL Central.

42. DKDC Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:02 PM (#4245783)
Os lose.

The Jays put together what has to be the least impressive 13 hit game in baseball history, but it looks like a blowout in the box score.

The Yanks take a 3-1 lead.

The division is starting to slip away, but its still in play. I'd feel better if the angels lose.
   43. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:05 PM (#4245785)
Os lose.

The Jays put together what has to be the least impressive 13 hit game in baseball history, but it looks like a blowout in the box score.
On the one hand, I'm obviously delighted to see the Orioles lose. On the other hand, the Jays showing some signs of life does not thrill me, what with the Yankees going up there to play four.
   44. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:09 PM (#4245789)
LET'S-GO OAK-LAND!

No, seriously, let's go.

LOUDER!
   45. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM (#4245791)
Rays win. Do they have another rabbit to pull out of their hat?
   46. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:18 PM (#4245793)
Rays win. Do they have another rabbit to pull out of their hat?
They need just a ton of help. The best thing they can hope for is that Baltimore and the Yankees both win a bunch of games, so that the O's are locked into the first WC spot but don't have a real chance at the division entering that last series.
   47. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM (#4245807)
That's a terrible job by Logan. He clearly doesn't have it at all.

EDIT: That having been said, I think pulling Hughes in the right move there. Not Girardi's fault that the guy who's killed lefties this year has been brutal tonight.
   48. The John Wetland Memorial Death (CoB) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM (#4245808)
Oh #### you Boone and #### YOU Joey Joe Joe and all your ####### plays tonight.
   49. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM (#4245812)
I did not think Moss was going to catch that.
   50. Spivey Posted: September 25, 2012 at 10:53 PM (#4245817)
Moss pulled that catch straight out his ass. But it was a good one. Especially after he gave up 1-2 runs unnecessarily in the first inning.
   51. RB in NYC (Now Semi-Retired from BBTF) Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:10 PM (#4245825)
That's an annoying loss for the Yankees. But if they win tomorrow--and they should, behind CC--they'll have the magic number down to (at least) six with seven left to play. If they win the four I've got the penciled in for--two vs. both Toronto and Boston--they would force Baltimore to only have one loss.

Still an annoying loss though. Never like to give up a lead late. I stand by the sentiments in #47.
   52. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:15 PM (#4245828)
That's a terrible job by Logan. He clearly doesn't have it at all.

I was listening to the game on the radio while driving home, and Jeff Nelson was absolutely torching Logan, basically saying that after Martin didn't block that wild first pitch that he was afraid to throw his breaking ball low in the strike zone.
   53. Roger McDowell spit on me! Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:24 PM (#4245836)
Wheeee! Kottaras!
   54. Athletic Supporter can feel the slow rot Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:26 PM (#4245837)
That was a bomb.

Not exactly feeling comfortable here.
   55. Loren F. Posted: September 25, 2012 at 11:31 PM (#4245844)
Not exactly feeling confident in the Yankees' bullpen these days, outside of Soriano.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14!
for his generous support.