Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

American Red Cross

Baseball is of secondary importance tonight as we await landfall of Katarina.  Workers from the American Red Cross and other charities are sending thousands of volunteers to help with the impending emergency along the Gulf Coast.  We’re already in one of the worst case scenario and we could be looking at hundreds of thousands, if not more, people who need long-term shelter after this storm.  I’ve already given $250 today and I hope everyone that reads this can donate something, even if it’s the minimum $5 donation or a few units of blood.

Dan Szymborski Posted: August 30, 2005 at 05:17 PM | 5801 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags:

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 27 of 58 pages ‹ First  < 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›
   2601. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:15 AM (#1595032)
At this point, I think rules were made to be broken.

I don't disagree that's it's not causing a ton of problems at the moment. If we had competent people on the various levels (state/local/fed), this wouldn't even be an issue.
Somebody at the state level w/ a clue would make the specific request, somebody w/ a clue at the fed gets and fulfills the request...boom. Done.

I'm just saying there's a reason they're saying 'we can't do this until you ask us'.
   2602. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:15 AM (#1595033)
The more I watch this, the more I wonder which country would be the best to check out.

I've figured that I could try to play up my Irish ancestor, if necessary. If soccer players can get EU passports, I should be able to.
   2603. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:16 AM (#1595034)
Ya know, I used to joke about moving to another country because of the direction this country is taking (and I'm a republican).
I'm also a Republican. (The Barry Goldwater kind, meaning I got kicked out of the tent on Jan. 20, 2001. Explains why I'm registered as an indie.) I've never held the administration in very high esteem, and now they've forever blown it in my eyes. My current feeling toward Bush is outright contempt.
   2604. penguinmobile Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:16 AM (#1595035)
I'm turning in. I've got a long weekend ahead and I'm already off to a bad start, sleepwise.

Good night all. Say something good to the people you love.
   2605. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:17 AM (#1595036)
weird that it takes me to the MS page when i'm using Firefox.

it must have been when i was using the link button above the posting box.
   2606. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:18 AM (#1595037)
Actually, NTN, I think the legality of the situation is allowing the pants shitters to use that as an excuse why they haven't done anything except #### their pants.
   2607. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:19 AM (#1595038)
If you're looking for some good news, on the scanner, over the last hour or so, they've been talking to San Antonio officials and Red Cross.

From piecing together, sounds like 20 planeloads have already arrived in San Antonio.

Officials/Red Cross had set up a shelter at Levi Strauss (?).
   2608. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:19 AM (#1595039)
the only thing i can hope is that the body count is significantly less than i fear. i remember watching the towers come down and thinking "my god, that could be 20,000 dead" and being so relieved that it was only 3,000.

I said yesterday that I was guessing 8,000. I have no real reason to think this, and I hope it's less, but that is my guess.

I'm just saying there's a reason they're saying 'we can't do this until you ask us'.

Sure, I understand what the reason is. I just think it's stupid and a disgraceful abdication of responsibility to be saying that at this point. Somebody in the fed hierarchy has to say, "These state-level people are nitwits and we have to go over their heads, legalities be damned." Really, who is going to oppose them if they arrive? Is the state of Louisiana going to sue the federal government?
   2609. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:21 AM (#1595040)
I wonder if there will be protests by African Americans in other cities about the situation in NO.
It seems like this has the potential to blow up into nationwide civil unrest.
   2610. The Original SJ Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:22 AM (#1595041)
so the red cross was kept out of New Orleans because they were afraid people wouldn't evacuate?

AND THEY AREN'T LETTING PEOPLE ####### EVACUATE!

what a ###########. My embarrasment for my nation has given way to downright anger.

I love this country, I really do. But this is not the nation I love. I wonder if I will ever get that country back
   2611. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:23 AM (#1595042)
Shoewizard - Only if Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton show up to start one. They are pro's at starting racial fires.
   2612. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:23 AM (#1595043)
I wonder if there will be protests by African Americans in other cities about the situation in NO.

This is one honkey that would protest with them. If there was ever a day to be ashamed of my country, this is it.
   2613. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:25 AM (#1595044)
They should set up a tent city in Crawford, Texas. I understand they cleared a lot of brush the last couple of summers.
   2614. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:25 AM (#1595045)
I have no idea if they are trying to rescue anyone anymore, rLr, but anyone seeking rescue will be dead in the heat of the weekend. Anyone who could have survived via rescue will die tomorrow.

Not to say the Coast Guard didn't do its job. Its the only portion of this situation that performed properly, and serious kudos to them.
   2615. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:25 AM (#1595046)
But this is not the nation I love. I wonder if I will ever get that country back
I've thought that too. We may be witness to the end of the American empire.
   2616. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:25 AM (#1595047)
If there was ever a day to be ashamed of my country, this is it.

Are you new to American History?
   2617. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:26 AM (#1595048)
History buffs, how long after Berlin was cut off after WW2 did the airdrops start?
   2618. The Original SJ Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:26 AM (#1595049)
There are really no words here. The American Government is watching its own people starve.

Really, someone should start the 68 chicago chant, "the whole world is watching."

this is... i have to go to bed.
   2619. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:26 AM (#1595050)
I have no idea if they are trying to rescue anyone anymore, rLr, but anyone seeking rescue will be dead in the heat of the weekend.

Barring an enormous infusion of supplies. A whole lot of water and food could keep most of them alive for a few more days.

I don't know if they are capable of delivering that, though.
   2620. Shalimar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:27 AM (#1595051)
At some point, somebody has to say the hell with the technicalities of requesting aid and just start shipping it in.

Unfortunately, that point should have been 3 days ago. I have lost faith that anyone is going to do anything. The whole mess has been hopelessly mismanaged. It's almost like they're purposely choosing the worst option with every decision. I know it's probably just incompetence, but none of the numerous poor managers I have worked with have ever been this staggeringly bad. Random people on the street could have been given decision-making authority and done better.
   2621. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:28 AM (#1595052)
Are you new to American History?

In my adult lifetime, this is the worst. And don't get me wrong, there are lots of things about the United States that I utterly disclaim.

History buffs, how long after Berlin was cut off after WW2 did the airdrops start?

Months.
   2622. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:29 AM (#1595053)
Ok, wasn't sure.
   2623. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:31 AM (#1595054)
Three years later.
   2624. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:31 AM (#1595055)
Something must be happening at 0630.

Change of mission - 250 armed MPs at Armstrong Airport.
   2625. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:32 AM (#1595056)
Something must be happening at 0630.

Scratch that, 0800.
   2626. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:32 AM (#1595057)
At this point I'm willing to drive down south tomorrow and lend a hand. Unfortunately, I wouldn't doubt I'd be stopped halfway through Mississippi and told to turn around.
   2627. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:35 AM (#1595058)
And thats if I didn't run out of gas halfway through Mississippi.
   2628. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:35 AM (#1595059)
rLr, I think there were probably living peole on rooftops and in atics until now or sometime tomorrow. They are dead, there is no way you survive the heat in an attic, with no water or food. Its awful, and its got me near tears, but search and rescue, will be done tomorrow.
   2629. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:35 AM (#1595060)
rlr: actually, within days.

at least, wikipedia says so.

"On June 24, 1948, the Soviet Union blocked access to the arteries of the three Western-held sectors of Berlin, which was deep within the Soviet zone of Germany, by cutting off all rail and road routes going through Soviet-controlled territory in Germany. The Western powers had never negotiated a pact with the Soviets guaranteeing these rights. Amid the fallout of the London Conference, the Soviets now rejected arguments that occupation rights in Berlin and the use of the routes during the previous three years had given the West legal claim to unimpeded use of the highways and railroads. General Lucius D. Clay suggested sending a large armoured column driving peacefully, as of right, down the Autobahn from West Germany to West Berlin, but prepared to defend itself if it were stopped or attacked. But President Harry S. Truman, following the consensus in Washington, believed this entailed an unacceptable risk of war, in which the U.S. might be unpopular.

On June 25 Clay gave the order to launch a massive airlift (ultimately lasting 324 days) that flew supplies into the Western-held sectors of Berlin over the blockade during 1948-1949. The first airplane flew on the following day, and the first British airplane flew on the 28th. This aerial supplying of West Berlin became known as the Berlin Airlift. Military confrontation loomed while Truman embarked on a highly visible move which would publicly humiliate the Soviets."
   2630. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:37 AM (#1595061)

at least, wikipedia says so.

"On June 24, 1948, the Soviet Union blocked access to the arteries of the three Western-held sectors of Berlin, which was deep within the Soviet zone of Germany, by cutting off all rail and road routes going through Soviet-controlled territory in Germany. The Western powers had never negotiated a pact with the Soviets guaranteeing these rights. Amid the fallout of the London Conference, the Soviets now rejected arguments that occupation rights in Berlin and the use of the routes during the previous three years had given the West legal claim to unimpeded use of the highways and railroads. General Lucius D. Clay suggested sending a large armoured column driving peacefully, as of right, down the Autobahn from West Germany to West Berlin, but prepared to defend itself if it were stopped or attacked. But President Harry S. Truman, following the consensus in Washington, believed this entailed an unacceptable risk of war, in which the U.S. might be unpopular.

On June 25 Clay gave the order to launch a massive airlift (ultimately lasting 324 days) that flew supplies into the Western-held sectors of Berlin over the blockade during 1948-1949. The first airplane flew on the following day, and the first British airplane flew on the 28th. This aerial supplying of West Berlin became known as the Berlin Airlift. Military confrontation loomed while Truman embarked on a highly visible move which would publicly humiliate the Soviets."

the territory was physically seperated from West Germany, but not blocked to supplies.
   2631. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:38 AM (#1595062)
Whoops! Totally misread the question.
   2632. The Anthony Kennedy of BBTF (Scott) Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:38 AM (#1595063)
also:

"Dec. 26, 0059 GMT Quake hits.
Dec. 26, 0130 GMT Tsunami hits.
Dec. 28, Relief operation begins.
Jan 1. US Aircraft carrier arrives in Indonesia, sending helicopters, heavy machinery, and water purifcation equipment to Banda Aceh."

from the BBC.

we reacted quicker to the tsunami =p
   2633. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:38 AM (#1595064)
Yeah, but that was when the country had leaders that didn't #### their pants when adversity blew in. You think Ridgeway would have not taken control?
   2634. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:39 AM (#1595065)

Sorry. Misunderstood. Thought he meant how long it lasted.

rLr, I think there were probably living peole on rooftops and in atics until now or sometime tomorrow. They are dead, there is no way you survive the heat in an attic, with no water or food.

Without a doubt. But the death rate at the Convention Center will leap up tremendously tomorrow, barring a major change in the state of affairs. I've pretty much given up hope for almost anybody not at the Superdome or the Convention Center.
   2635. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:40 AM (#1595066)
Anybody want to see how long it takes before someone on the news actually makes that comparison? I would loooooooove to see the reaction of the people that think we are doing fine? THAT is how its done folks.

One day for the order to be made. One freakin day.
   2636. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:41 AM (#1595067)
Most amazing fact of the airlift: Truman pulled it off during an election campaign he was supposed to lose in a landslide.
Summer of '48 was a busy time for HST:
Integration of the armed forces.
Israel founded.
Berlin blockade.
Running against Dewey.
There's some more in there. In '98, I saw a great exhibit on the topic at the HST library.
   2637. E., Hinske Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:41 AM (#1595068)
Anyone catch the tail end of Nancy Grace tonight? It was notable for two reasons. First, they played a musical montage that includes the poor bastard who lost his wife-I referenced this in post 405, but that's the most heartbreaking piece of TV footage I've ever seen. Disgusting that at this point it's no longer news and yet they're still using it. They should cut him a royalty cheque. Second, as this wraps up, they cut back to her and she's in tears. I don't even know what to say about that-it's the first sign I've ever seen that she's human.

She's still an epic #########, and using that footage at this point is lousy, but it was bizarre to realize how affected she is by this, just like a real person with a soul.
   2638. 6 - 4 - 3 Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:42 AM (#1595069)
Unfortunately, that point should have been 3 days ago.

I'll disagree and say that the time for federal intervention was *before* the hurricane hit. Everyone basically knew late last Friday that it was going to be a massive storm and probably hit NO directly (or come damn near close). In that sense, the immediate outcome of the storm was (relatively) a better case scenario. But they knew 36-48 hours before the storm hit that it was very likely going to be devastating.

They also knew (or should have known) that tens of thousands of people in the area lacked the means of complying with evacuation orders. Some were/are stubborn fools, but a lot of people stuck there just didn't/don't own cars. The time to mobilize federal assets to assist in evacuating people was before the storm, when the infrastructure was still intact to support trucks, trains, planes, etc. But for whatever reasons (short-sightedness, lack of interest, etc.), the government did very little to help people escape.

If the lack of federal assistance for evacuation before the storm was a decision based in anyway on opposition to spend money, then the bureaucrats who made that call should be tried for crimes against humanity (and I'm being only slightly hyperbolic here). Moreover, it was simply the wrong conclusion in terms of financial concerns: it would have cost far less to evacuate people before the storm than it is now. But rather that be proactive, the government decided to be reactive (and quite slowly, at that), perhaps banking on the slim hope that the storm wouldn't be as bad as it turned out to be (even though it turned out to not necessarily be the worst-case scenario).
   2639. Shalimar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:43 AM (#1595070)
At this point I'm willing to drive down south tomorrow and lend a hand.

I was thinking about that yesterday, but what difference would I make? Relief efforts for people who have gotten out of NOLA and away from the coast seem to be going pretty well. People trying to help those in NOLA and on the coast aren't allowed to do anything. I imagine being near the scene standing around waiting for permission that never comes would be even worse than feeling helpless at home. The problems are with the decision-makers, and there is no way I would get to be one.
   2640. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:43 AM (#1595071)
The last time I was this wrapped up in a news story, it was the first days after Election Day, 2000. That was simulataneously infuriating and sort of exciting. This is infuriating and crushing.
   2641. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:44 AM (#1595072)
Well, rLr, according to CNN, the folks at the convention center and the SuperDome have been feed and hydrated a little. I still think that the potential for massive fatalities at either location are entirely possible.

I feel like ####.
   2642. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:45 AM (#1595073)
According to this article 80 days to drain the city.

Guessing by the way things have gone so far, I would double that.
   2643. Gold Star - just Gold Star Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:46 AM (#1595074)
This is infuriating and crushing.
Not to mention exhausting.
I don't want to leave the computer, but I've got to, for my own sanity. Sleep is needed. That probably goes for everyone who can read these words.
Good night, and may we all pray that tomorrow brings a better day.
GSfRB
   2644. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:48 AM (#1595075)
Well, rLr, according to CNN, the folks at the convention center and the SuperDome have been feed and hydrated a little.

The Superdome, yes. The footage I saw of what was going on at the Convention Center looked like a drop in the bucket. Hope I'm wrong, though.

According to this article 80 days to drain the city.

Guessing by the way things have gone so far, I would double that.

I think it's going to be an underwater amusement park from now on.
   2645. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:50 AM (#1595076)
One day for the order to be made. One freakin day.

Yeah, but it's a lot easier to get things done when you don't have to deal with state/fed issues and all that crap. Technially, even the NG is still under Blanco's whim and control. UGGGGH.

Even though the feds have had a ton of screw-ups, I'd feel a lot better about the situation if some sh*tkicker 'things are getting done now, no f'n excuses maggots' lifer was calling the shots for the NG.
   2646. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:50 AM (#1595077)
I think it's going to be an underwater amusement park from now on.

I think they will eventually get it drained out. It's just going to take alot longer than anyone will estimate.
   2647. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:51 AM (#1595078)
I don't know the lay of the land very well, but why does it seem so hard to get to the convention center? I've been screaming about this situation and very little has happened. WHAT THE ####!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can I call someone? I'm not without clout here in WI...

I can't stand it anymore!
   2648. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:51 AM (#1595079)
I'm not even concerned with how long it takes to drain the city. I'm concerned with how much of the small parts of minimally affected parts of the city will be burned down by then. I've lost hope for NO. New New Orleans will be opening in 2026 I guess.
   2649. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:51 AM (#1595080)
I think they will eventually get it drained out.

The enviromentalists are gonna freak, too, but there isn't much that can done at this point.
   2650. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:52 AM (#1595081)
I'd feel a lot better about the situation if some sh*tkicker 'things are getting done now, no f'n excuses maggots' lifer was calling the shots for the NG.

Supposedly, that's Honore. I was not impressed when he said that the pre-disaster planning sessions with which he was involved didn't anticipate it being this bad. But, it seems like things have started to get done once he got on the ground. It was his guys who finally reached the Convention Center.
   2651. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:54 AM (#1595082)
Supposedly, that's Honore.

Except Blanco is HIS boss and ultimately dictates what they do, where they go, what level of force, etc, etc.
   2652. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:55 AM (#1595083)
Ugh, I was going to go to sleep happy, but I came back and read about recent developments.

#### is ###### up on a massive ####### level. I can't believe I pay taxes to these people. What for?

I would not look down on the people of NO near that bridge if they started to riot sometime tomorrow.
   2653. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:55 AM (#1595084)
Except Blanco is HIS boss and ultimately dictates what they do, where they go, what level of force, etc, etc.

If anybody is the type to take the reins from her unsteady hands, I guess it sounds like that's him.
   2654. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:56 AM (#1595085)
I've just spoken with some dudes in the governor's office here. Apparently we sent some police down last night and I missed that. One was on the verge of tears. ####.
   2655. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:56 AM (#1595086)
No offense to those of unsteady hand, Jack. Only in the metaphorical sense.
   2656. Shalimar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:58 AM (#1595087)
I'll disagree and say that the time for federal intervention was *before* the hurricane hit. Everyone basically knew late last Friday that it was going to be a massive storm and probably hit NO directly (or come damn near close).</i>

I agree with you that the earlier the better would have helped. What I was saying is that by Wednesday morning at the latest, someone like Chertoff or Brown should have said screw this BS and taken charge. That STILL hasn't happened. Instead, they're both appearing on TV constantly doing PR.

And from what I have read, Katrina didn't aim straight for NOLA until Saturday night, and it moved extremely fast. I know I was still worried Saturday afternoon that it would hit Mobile directly. They didn't have as much notice as you're suggesting.
   2657. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:58 AM (#1595088)
I've just spoken with some dudes in the governor's office here. Apparently we sent some police down last night and I missed that.

Michigan did, as well. I know New York sent some of the specialized search and rescue guys and a convoy of cherry pickers to restore power.
   2658. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:59 AM (#1595089)
No problem, rLr. I'm debating whether to have another and follow this or to go to bed and rest next to the warm naked body alread there, knowing full well my mind will race about this.
   2659. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:59 AM (#1595090)
If I'm honore, and blanco tells me to do something I don't feel like doing, I pull an option J.
   2660. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 08:59 AM (#1595091)
I was watching a piece on TV about a reporter that spent the night with some cops. They showed scenes of the cops getting shot at, and on Camera interviews with the cops getting very emotional and crying or angry. The cops had hung a sign over the precint that said "FORT APACHE"

I think I was watching Headline News...(I know...lame...but my wife had the remote and was flipping channels, and I was not paying attention originally)

Anyway, I have been looking for this clip online and can't find it, and was wondering if anyone else had seen it.
   2661. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:01 AM (#1595092)
Apparently we sent some police down last night and I missed that.

Oh, I knew that. Should have asked. It was mentioned in passing last night on the Police channel. I think I even made mention of it, but it was understandably overlooked in this big thread.
(I think it was a throwaway 'CHEESEHEADS IN THE HOUSE' post)

'We' (WI) also have 48 vehicles of some nature that arrived earlier tonight, too. That was on the chatter.
   2662. Shalimar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:01 AM (#1595093)
If the lack of federal assistance for evacuation before the storm was a decision based in anyway on opposition to spend money

Evacuation has always been a local and state issue. I can't recall any instance where there has ever been any kind of federal assistance. That is one of the few ways the feds didn't screw up. They followed normal established procedure.
   2663. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:01 AM (#1595094)
Anyway, I have been looking for this clip online and can't find it, and was wondering if anyone else had seen it.

I saw it. It was Chris Lawrence on CNN. One of the cops said that he located the flash of a burst of gunfire, put some shots on the general area, and pretty much settled it down.
   2664. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:02 AM (#1595095)
I saw that last night NTN, and was thankful for the police chatter.
   2665. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:02 AM (#1595096)
Guys,

I'm sobbing, and I don't really know why. I'm going to go and hold Jill. I'll be okay, and will check in tomorrow probably after the Badger game (11am, WTF). I just don't know what to say...

Jack
   2666. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:03 AM (#1595097)
The enviromentalists are gonna freak, too, but there isn't much that can done at this point.

Why, because they are worried about polluting the Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico when they drain out the swamp that has become NO and dump it all in the river?
   2667. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:04 AM (#1595098)
I'm out too. I'm just going to get more helplessly angry if I stay.
   2668. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:04 AM (#1595099)
I was watching a piece on TV about a reporter that spent the night with some cops. They showed scenes of the cops getting shot at, and on Camera interviews with the cops getting very emotional and crying or angry. The cops had hung a sign over the precint that said "FORT APACHE"

Yeah, it was on CNN this morning.

There was a black cop who was (understandably) livid - he was calling out all the police who deserted, pointing to his badge...

'You cowards...when you took the oath to serve and protect you obviously didn't take it seriously'

Something to that effect...he was all sorts of MAD.
   2669. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:05 AM (#1595100)
Castro has, supposedly, offered 1100 doctors and a couple dozen tons of medicine. I really am curious to see what Bush does with that.
   2670. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:06 AM (#1595101)
I saw it. It was Chris Lawrence on CNN. One of the cops said that he located the flash of a burst of gunfire, put some shots on the general area, and pretty much settled it down.

Thanks. The interviews with the Cops hit a spot with me.
   2671. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:06 AM (#1595102)
I'm simmering, numb to shock and wide awake. I could really use a beer. To relax and to fall asleep.
   2672. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:06 AM (#1595103)
Why, because they are worried about polluting the Mississippi and the Gulf of Mexico when they drain out the swamp that has become NO and dump it all in the river?

Yeah...I'm sure there's some nasty s**t in that water.
   2673. Jesse Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:07 AM (#1595104)
Castro has, supposedly, offered 1100 doctors and a couple dozen tons of medicine. I really am curious to see what Bush does with that.

Ignore it and hope it goes away? That's his usual strategy.
   2674. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:07 AM (#1595105)
'You cowards...when you took the oath to serve and protect you obviously didn't take it seriously'

Something to that effect...he was all sorts of MAD.

That guy was awesome. And he's dead right. No matter how tough a job being a New Orleans cop is today, anybody who bails is a scumbag.
   2675. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:07 AM (#1595106)
BBF,

I've got to be awake in three hours and I'm contemplating a nightcap. I really don't know what to do or say.
   2676. Jesse Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:10 AM (#1595107)

Speaking as an environmentalist, you'd have to be a crazed fanatic for that to be a primary worry right now. Those sort of fanatics are around, but there aren't many of them. The pollutants are already loose and there's not much of a way to clean them up. Better to wash them out to sea and get to work on rescuing people, cleaning up and rebuilding. I don't usually support washing pollution into the sea, but this is a rather special case.
   2677. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:11 AM (#1595108)
Three hours isn't enough to help. You're going to be tired no matter what.
   2678. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:12 AM (#1595109)
Yeah...I'm sure there's some nasty s**t in that water.

Maybe they could build a pipline to Crawford :)
   2679. Bunny Vincennes Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:13 AM (#1595110)
Tomorrow, gents.
   2680. Jesse Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:14 AM (#1595111)
Tomorrow, Jack. It'll be a better day.
   2681. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:16 AM (#1595112)
Even people in CUBA KNOW HOW BAD THIS IS!!! And our own ####### leadership doesn't.

################. I just find it hard to believe that we haven't been able to get the people of NO out of the swamp yet. Very ####### hard to believe. I mean, if i walked into my job and just started throwing herpes everywhere, then started pouring the vials of vaccinia on the floor, they would fire me in a heartbeat. And likely arrest me. That's the only way I could possibly #### up my job as much as this is getting ###### up.

On the environmentalist tip, I think that if the city was never rebuilt, the ecosystems of that area would actually be better off for this disaster, regardless of how much sewage seeps out. Fishing is pretty much year round in that area, and even this week off from dying has to have been a boon to the overfished organisms.
   2682. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:17 AM (#1595113)
Three hours isn't enough to help. You're going to be tired no matter what.

I find that resetting the body clock is of the utmost importance. even 2 hours, though it doesn't get you rested, makes for a better day in the end.
   2683. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:18 AM (#1595114)
Texas end of the operation is rockin'.

Another C-17 full of people just touched down (in SA?) and was unloaded.
There's been a whole bunch of C-17s come in already.

Local officials and Red Cross were discussing their shelter earlier. Folks sound like they're on the ball.

(It gets confusing when I get the Texas freq. mixed in with the LA stuff, though.)
   2684. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:19 AM (#1595115)
Even people in CUBA KNOW HOW BAD THIS IS!!!

It's also a way for Castro to rub our noses in it.

Help is always appreciated, but let's not kid ourselves. Castro is going take every PR jab at US he can get.
   2685. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:20 AM (#1595116)
I mean, if i walked into my job and just started throwing herpes everywhere

You only throw herpes around in your private life, right?
   2686. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:22 AM (#1595117)
You only throw herpes around in your private life, right?

Well, only in the lab is it in liquid form.
   2687. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:22 AM (#1595118)
I find that resetting the body clock is of the utmost importance. even 2 hours, though it doesn't get you rested, makes for a better day in the end.

I like 2 hours better than 5, honestly. If I can't get a solid 7, I prefer a nap, really.

It's also a way for Castro to rub our noses in it.

Help is always appreciated, but let's not kid ourselves. Castro is going take every PR jab at US he can get.

Well, sure, but it just underscores how dire a situation this is that Castro has a point.
   2688. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:23 AM (#1595119)

He won't need the help. We're punching ourselves. I wouldn't be surprised to see people taking rafts back over to cuba.
   2689. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:23 AM (#1595120)
Well, only in the lab is it in liquid form.

It's usually transmitted via fluid in non-laboratory situations, too.
   2690. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:25 AM (#1595121)
I finally lost it. Its a combination of news overflow, it being 5am, an utter collapse of my confidence in my country's govt, and the feeling of helplessness being so far away. I've got the shakes, crying like a baby and so sick to my stomach I think I'm goingto puke. I want to swing my softball bat at something, anything, to vent this frustration. I can't believe this collosal level of ineptidude!!!
   2691. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:26 AM (#1595122)
I feel ya, bro.
   2692. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:29 AM (#1595123)

It's usually transmitted via fluid in non-laboratory situations, too.

negatory.
   2693. Jack Sommers Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:30 AM (#1595124)
I found that clip I mentioned above.

If you want to see it, go to CNN.com home page, and on the right side, next to where it say "Watch Free Video" , click on "Browser Search"

The name of the clip is Night of Hell
   2694. rLr Is King Of The Romans And Above Grammar Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:31 AM (#1595125)
Gonna be 94 degrees today. This is the end of the rope. If there are people still waiting to leave at this time tomorrow, I don't even know what it's going to be like.
   2695. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:32 AM (#1595126)
There are ####### babies down there.

################.
   2696. Jesse Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:36 AM (#1595127)
Bowling Baseball Fan, I think a lot of us have been where you are. It's a terrible place to be.
   2697. Bowling Baseball Fan Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:38 AM (#1595128)
I hope friends have listened to me. I've told at least 20 people to visit this thread. This has been by far the best source of news and links to reliable sources of news anywhere. Everybody that has posted info should be commended. I haven't paid any consistant attention to baseball in 5 days. I've read every single post on this thread. I can't say that about any other long thread on this site. I hope to someday meet some of you. To personally thank you guys for the work. The effort here has been spectacular. This thread is an automatic HOF level Primey.
   2698. Jesse Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:41 AM (#1595129)
I've said it already, this thread is the best thing BTF has ever done, and it's one of the things keeping me sane.

I've hit the numb and staring stage. I'm off for bed. Thanks for staying up through the long dark night, y'all.
   2699. Flynn Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:43 AM (#1595130)
This must have been what watching a lynching is like.
   2700. NTNgod Posted: September 03, 2005 at 09:47 AM (#1595131)
Another bunch of supplies just got hauled from the Superdome to the Convention Center.
Page 27 of 58 pages ‹ First  < 25 26 27 28 29 >  Last ›

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.