Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, April 16, 2018

And the wind cries OMNICHATTER, for April 16, 2018

Scoreboards for the Major Leagues and all minor leagues,
courtesy of Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee).

Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: April 16, 2018 at 01:21 PM | 111 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Lassus Posted: April 17, 2018 at 08:16 AM (#5655091)
It's probably completely different even if he's only allowed one baserunner.

That was the bad play right there.
   102. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 17, 2018 at 09:24 AM (#5655114)
I generally don't like second guessing managers. Jacob was mowing them down. But he gave you 7 innings, the bullpen was rested, and you generally prefer giving guys fresh innings. That said it's still 20/20 hindsight because if Mickey took Jacob out of deGame and the bullpen coughed it up, everyone* would be going full Kapler on him.

*maybe not everyone but a lot of people.
   103. Lassus Posted: April 17, 2018 at 09:56 AM (#5655140)
I don't disagree with this, the bullpen really gakked up a hairball en masse. Do any pitching coaches ever say to anyone with obviously no control that day: "Listen, nothing cute, we still have a three-run lead. Don't throw anything out of the zone or I'm going to pull you mid-batter. Throw strikes, make them beat us," or would that be considered disrespectful to your staff?
   104. Panik on the streets of London (Trout! Trout!) Posted: April 17, 2018 at 10:10 AM (#5655144)
I think this all the time, man. I don't understand why Familia, Benitez, Franco, etc have trouble just throwing the ball down the middle. I know it's harder than it looks but it makes me crazy.
   105. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 17, 2018 at 10:23 AM (#5655148)
I don't disagree with this, the bullpen really gakked up a hairball en masse. Do any pitching coaches ever say to anyone with obviously no control that day: "Listen, nothing cute, we still have a three-run lead. Don't throw anything out of the zone or I'm going to pull you mid-batter. Throw strikes, make them beat us," or would that be considered disrespectful to your staff?

That's the thing. With a five run lead, make them get 7 base hits to beat you. Even with two men on, give up the damn 3 run HR rather than give them a free baserunner.
   106. Lassus Posted: April 17, 2018 at 10:30 AM (#5655152)
Honestly, deGrom's walk after the hit was probably the root cause.
   107. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 17, 2018 at 10:36 AM (#5655155)
Honestly, deGrom's walk after the hit was probably the root cause.

Gameday shows him going single, K, single in the 8th?

In any case, the bullpen has got to be able to hold a 6-1 lead with 2 on, 1-out in the 8th. None of this is DeGrom's fault.
   108. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: April 17, 2018 at 10:41 AM (#5655160)
I generally don't like second guessing managers. Jacob was mowing them down. But he gave you 7 innings, the bullpen was rested, and you generally prefer giving guys fresh innings. That said it's still 20/20 hindsight because if Mickey took Jacob out of deGame and the bullpen coughed it up, everyone* would be going full Kapler on him.

I agree with this. Watching this last night it reminded me of the Red Sox' Opening Day loss. Up 4-0 after 7, they yanked Sale on about 90 pitches and Joe Kelly and Carson Smith came in and allowed 6 runs on 3 hits and people went crazy. A 4 run lead should be something that a competent bullpen handles 99% of the time.

As far as the moves themselves in the inning. Once you've let deGrom start the inning the one thing I would change is give deGrom Kendrick. You know you are going to Blevins for Harper (and you should) and deGrom had been carving up Kendrick (0 for 3 with 3Ks at that point). That's his last man either way, then Blevins deals with Harper and if the inning is still going your primary set up man should be ready to finish it off (don't know if that's Ramos or Lugo).

The problem is no reliever did his job. The four relievers faced 9 batters and retired 2 of them. There isn't a moment in that inning where I think Callaway set someone up to fail, they just puked all over themselves.
   109. bunyon Posted: April 17, 2018 at 10:46 AM (#5655164)
Agree completely with 108 with the caveat that I don't know deGrom that well. Maybe he really was done. But it seems like one more batter would be fine.

As for "just throw strikes", sure, it feels that way, but that is almost certainly what they were doing. Just because pitching is easier than hitting doesn't mean pitching is easy.

This loss is fully on the guys that came out of the pen. None had anything
   110. Lassus Posted: April 17, 2018 at 12:29 PM (#5655226)
Gameday shows him going single, K, single in the 8th?

Yeah, misremembered.

The problem is no reliever did his job. The four relievers faced 9 batters and retired 2 of them.

Other than the entirety of it being bunyon's stupid fault, this is correct.
   111. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: April 17, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5655250)
Stupid bunyon. Want me to dispatch my wetwork team?
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dingbat_Charlie
for his generous support.