Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Saturday, February 09, 2019

AP sources: Mets-Nats or Cubs-Cards for London in 2020

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) Major League Baseball is considering one of two matchups for its 2020 series in London: New York Mets vs. Washington Nationals or Chicago Cubs vs. St. Louis Cardinals.

Two people familiar with the discussions told The Associated Press of the potential matchups. They spoke on condition of anonymity Friday because no announcements had been authorized. An announcement is expected after opening day this year.

I thought the point of these games was to encourage baseball in the United Kingdom, not to discourage it….

QLE Posted: February 09, 2019 at 06:18 AM | 13 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: london, neutral site games

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. asinwreck Posted: February 09, 2019 at 02:00 PM (#5813961)
I support the Cubs-Cardinals option if it would lead to the Ricketts family going to England and being trapped forever in some Brexit nightmare with no chance to retrun.
   2. cardsfanboy Posted: February 09, 2019 at 03:54 PM (#5813978)
I'm a fan of this. Most of my Cardinal fans don't seem to support this though, but it's a great way to showcase one of the best rivalries in sports.
   3. oscar madisox Posted: February 09, 2019 at 06:27 PM (#5813996)
I get that MLB is trying to grow the game in other countries, but I would like to see them play games in unique places in the U.S.
If they can do it Fort Bragg and Williamsport, they can do it elsewhere.

How about playing a game or two in a different place each year. I know fields don't exist in some of these places, but I'm sure MLB could build a one-time field for such an occasion. Make it a road show.

Pearl Harbor
Fairbanks, in the midnight sun game
Cooperstown (only this time count it)
Gettysburg
Yellowstone Park
At the Field of Dreams park
In the shadow of Mt. Rushmore, or the Grand Canyon, or Devils Tower or some other national landmark
Birmingham (call it the Willie Mays game)
Commerce, Okla. (call it the Mantle game)

Any others?

4. Howie Menckel Posted: February 09, 2019 at 06:31 PM (#5813998)
Hoboken, the birthplace of baseball
   5. Pirate Joe Posted: February 09, 2019 at 07:31 PM (#5814001)
Hoboken, the birthplace of baseball

Hoboken

6. Walt Davis Posted: February 09, 2019 at 11:34 PM (#5814026)
I'd like to see them schedule some Major League games in Baltimore in 2019.
   7. Walt Davis Posted: February 09, 2019 at 11:37 PM (#5814027)
I've got some old (probably too old) friends in the UK and 2020 might be time for another silly cycling holiday so maybe if it is Cubs-Cards and they time this right ...
   8. manchestermets Posted: February 10, 2019 at 05:06 PM (#5814164)
Obviously, I vote for Mets-Nats.
   9. Sit down, Sleepy has lots of stats Posted: February 10, 2019 at 05:57 PM (#5814171)
I'm a fan of this. Most of my Cardinal fans don't seem to support this though, but it's a great way to showcase one of the best rivalries in sports.
Doesn't seem like a great business decision, though. Cards/Cubs will sell out either Chicago or STL. Send some teams that can't sell tickets to home games, like the Marlins play the Pirates in London or Tokyo or wherever.

I guess there's a potential new market for selling jerseys and hats to Londoners. Don't know what kind of estimates they come up with there. But I hate to think of the Cards players having jet lag to start the season.
   10. Rennie's Tenet Posted: February 10, 2019 at 06:33 PM (#5814183)
Burlington, NC: Red Sox v. White Sox
Aircraft carrier in the Strait of Malacca: Pirates v. Mariners
Teddy Roosevelt National Park: Cubs v. (expansion) Bull Moose v. (expansion) Roughriders [round robin]
   11. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: February 11, 2019 at 04:15 AM (#5814237)
I guess there's a potential new market for selling jerseys and hats to Londoners.

The tickets themselves are also likely to be much higher in cost, and I assume MLB/the teams get a healthy cut. My two tickets for one game of the London Series this year, in the middle of the pricing range, were £145 each plus fees. So that's $190ish each, though I had to check the FX rate before I state that confidently, as the GBP bleeding continues.

The London NFL games have presumably been corporate event juggernauts over the last 5-10 years; there must be hundreds of companies buying up tickets and doling them out to clients, despite the competition with Premier League soccer games. The MLB games will have some advantages - the main sports competition in summer will be cricket, which has much more limited appeal, and MLB is sending some pretty tasty names over. It's a down year for international soccer, and Wimbledon doesn't start until early July.

A little disappointed they couldn't move one series to Amsterdam, however, for the honkballers to be able to share the fun. I guess that would have made more sense for the Yankees next year if Sir Didi is still there. Maybe for 2021.
   12. Baldrick Posted: February 11, 2019 at 05:16 AM (#5814238)
The MLB games will have some advantages - the main sports competition in summer will be cricket, which has much more limited appeal, and MLB is sending some pretty tasty names over. It's a down year for international soccer, and Wimbledon doesn't start until early July.

Unless I'm missing something, this proposal is for June 2020, which will be right in the middle of the Euros.
   13. Ben Broussard Ramjet Posted: February 11, 2019 at 06:04 AM (#5814239)
Unless I'm missing something, this proposal is for June 2020, which will be right in the middle of the Euros.

Sorry, yes - I meant that the 2019 games (NYY-BOS) miss most important sporting events for Brits. 2020 will be a harder sell, particularly as the UK will be partially hosting the tournament, with the semi-finals and final at Wembley. The 2020 London Series will be in the middle of the round of 16.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam S
for his generous support.