Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Arizona Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick tells Los Angeles Dodgers fans sitting behind home plate to change clothes or their seats

When Seinfeld and real life merge.

“It sounds kind of small-minded, but I would think they probably have the legal right to do that, especially if they let people know in advance that that’s the rule,” said Paul Bender, a professor of law at Arizona State.

“I hate to say that. I don’t like them doing that. And it’s conceivable if it’s treated as a city, state or county stadium that the rule would be different. But with what kind of clothes people wear, usually people who run the stadium are thought to have the right do that as long as they say in advance that those are the rules.”

Jim Furtado Posted: April 14, 2013 at 09:15 AM | 124 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: diamondbacks, dodgers, fashion sense

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Brian Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:26 PM (#4414714)
So which is it Snapper, do they use insane amounts of pesticides and fertilizer or have they reduced it from an insane amount? You originally said they are still using large amonts but switched to reduced from. It's okay not to know things but it's not okay to make crap up and then dissemble about what you really meant. Are you a politician?
   102. Mike A Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4414720)
And you could say the length of rough makes the US Open unfair for the big bombers who tend to be less accurate. I mean, Andy North won two US Opens just because he could hit the ball in the fairway. There are 12-year olds that hit it farther than Corey Pavin, yet he can win a US Open.

I like the fact the majors cater to different style golfers. The Masters favors the long hitters. The US Open favors the guys who keep it in the fairway. The British favors the creative shotmakers. The PGA Championship is typically different every year depending on the course, so it's more wide-open.

And short hitters can win the Masters, they just have to be on their games with less margin for error. The two shortest hitters on the PGA tour this year are Zach Johnson and Mike Weir. They are also both Masters champions.
   103. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:32 PM (#4414727)
And you could say the length of rough makes the US Open unfair for the big bombers who tend to be less accurate. I mean, Andy North won two US Opens just because he could hit the ball in the fairway. There are 12-year olds that hit it farther than Corey Pavin, yet he can win a US Open.

I like the fact the majors cater to different style golfers. The Masters favors the long hitters. The US Open favors the guys who keep it in the fairway. The British favors the creative shotmakers. The PGA Championship is typically different every year depending on the course, so it's more wide-open.

But the big bombers can always take a 3-wood, or even an iron, to stay in the fairway. Short-hitters don't have that option.

The only tournament I make a point to watch is the US Open. Par should be a winning score in a Major.
   104. spycake Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:34 PM (#4414732)
do they use insane amounts of pesticides and fertilizer or have they reduced it from an insane amount?

A reduction from an insane amount could still be an insane amount. Like if insurance wound up paying $1 million of A-Rod's total contract.
   105. Brian Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:36 PM (#4414737)
That's possible of course but it's not what the article says.
   106. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:40 PM (#4414743)

The game that introduced me to gaming.

Have you tried Dishonored?
   107. Lassus Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:44 PM (#4414750)
The only tournament I make a point to watch is the US Open. Par should be a winning score in a Major.

I know this is some kind of old-timey "if only things were the way they were", but of Jack Nicklaus's 17 majors, only ONE did he win with a score over par, the 1972 U.S. Open. His other winning U.S. Open scores were -1, -5, and -8.

In the past 40 U.S. Opens, a score greater than par has won six times. Whatever standard you're using, it's broken.
   108. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:47 PM (#4414755)
They probably let them grow that long before the tournament, and then cut them back for actual play.
I grew up in the same town in which Winged Foot was located, played there, caddied there, and practically lived on the course in '74, so...

Your friend might have been talking about one of the two (?) other times the Open was held at Winged Foot.
   109. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:52 PM (#4414762)
I grew up in the same town in which Winged Foot was located, played there, caddied there, and practically lived on the course in '74, so...

Your friend might have been talking about one of the two (?) other times the Open was held at Winged Foot.

It definitely wasn't '74. He wasn't old enough.
   110. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: April 15, 2013 at 02:54 PM (#4414765)
1984 and 2006, now that I've looked it up. Either of those work?
   111. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4414777)
That's possible of course but it's not what the article says.

It turns out that's exactly what the article says. The course still uses far too much fertilizer, water and pesticide to be considered sustainable, even though the amount has been reduced from previous unconscionable norms.
   112. valuearbitrageur Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4414778)
They booked a 3000 dollar suite at field level directly behind home plate, and the team told them when they booked, I'm sure over the phone, not to wear Dodger gear because it's a branding issue and it's a D Backs broadcast and they didn't want to advertise for the Dodgers in the prime location for 3+ hours. Is this so hard to understand ?

I think your points are very clear, and correct. The Diamondbacks have the right to demand reasonable restrictions as long as they clearly communicate the restrictions to the buyer, which they obviously did.

But I think the team is shooting itself in the foot with it's policies. The "advertising" those fans were giving the Dodgers is trivial. It's so small minded, if you want to beat the Dodgers, beat them on the field. Stuff like this just re-inforces the DBacks are small market team with a cheap owner that has limited aspirations, and they look for ridiculously small things to puff themselves up over.

Harvey getting a $157 ticket for (inadvertently) trying to make a couple buck "profit' on some tickets was horrible. First, the over-all benefit to the team for restricting scalping can't be that great with Stubhub and a zillion other sites in business. Scalping actually adds value to their season ticket holder packages, since it ensures they can unload their tickets at favorable prices if they don't want to user them. And as taxpayer, I think using police officers armed both with lethal weapons and expensive benefits (pensions) to enforce what should only be a private contract provision is dumb.

But let's pretend I'm totally wrong about scalping. It's still terrible to piss off or ban a potential fan/season ticket holder over an inadvertent and minor error in how they priced their tickets. There is no proportionality to the penalty. Pissing off potentially valuable customers permanently over trivial issues is bad business.

Even worse, Harveys seems like the type of high roller who might buy the pool suite whenever he's in town and spread some extra tickets around to us, his electronic brethren. Now we've been cut out of a sweet deal. For this, I hate that police officer more than anyone in the universe right now.

Harveys, if you are still listening to this thread, you should contact Derrek Hall, the CEO of the Diamondbacks. For all the crap I spew about the team, he's an A1 first class customer service guy and I think he'd be happy to make it right for you on your next visit. I once ####### on a DBacks fan board at 9 pm right after I got home from a game about the lousy service I got on in a high service seating area and he contacted me within an hour offering to make it up for me. I'm sorry I don't still have his email address, but I'm sure if you email the team it will get forwarded.

I just wish Derrek didn't have such a huge blind spot about how the GM should run his organization.
   113. Jeff Frances the Mute Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:14 PM (#4414794)
I think your points are very clear, and correct. The Diamondbacks have the right to demand reasonable restrictions as long as they clearly communicate the restrictions to the buyer, which they obviously did.

Looks like that "restriction" may not have been clearly communicated:

Dodgers Fan Who Was Forced To Change Shirt: D-Backs Owner "Is A Bully"

A highlight: "Anna says Kendrick cited a policy on the back of their tickets that no one in the group could actually find, even in the fine print. (She also says Diamondbacks sales manager Tim Martin told her he'd never heard of the policy until that evening.)"
   114. Brian Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:16 PM (#4414797)
rb, can't you read? It says while Augusta isn't officially certified as a sustainable course it has made sustainability a priority. Nowhere does it say "far too much fertilizer, water and pesticide to be considered sustainable, even though the amount has been reduced from previous unconscionable norms". That's just the lefty, the rich are evil and trying to poison us all for the fun of it, baggage you are apparently lugging around. BTF is the place for you.
   115. Shooty Is Disappointed With His Midstream Urine Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:19 PM (#4414799)
A highlight: "Anna says Kendrick cited a policy on the back of their tickets that no one in the group could actually find, even in the fine print. (She also says Diamondbacks sales manager Tim Martin told her he'd never heard of the policy until that evening.)"

D'oh. I really wish they hadn't given in.
   116. rb's team is hopeful for the new year! Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:24 PM (#4414803)
Maybe the lack of ability to form cogent thoughts without resorting to bullying statements and strawmen suggest that BTF is not the place for you, brian.
   117. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:43 PM (#4414826)
kt

clarification. I wasn't trying to make a buck. I thought the face value was $30. it was $29 so the cop busted me. he led me to some basement area, took my photo, wrote out the citation and then told me to never return to the stadium as my business was not wanted.

he claimed it was the equivalent of a traffic ticket but for kicks I had one of our hr people run a background check a while back and it popped up in a category separate from what hr sees in traffic tickets. the hr vp told me if they had a candidate with this flag they would ask about what happened.

the Arizona diamondbacks can go to h8ll

and yes, I have since directed the firm to cease holding getaways in Arizona out of spite. that is a fact.

we now use new mexico if we are looking at the southwest

118. Harveys Wallbangers Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:47 PM (#4414832)
kt

and thanks for the suggestion

the d-backs can still go to h8ll

and for the record I have never broached the lecture I received from the cop about a man my age and means blah, blah, blah

that will be the first and last time I will mention that aspect
   119. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:50 PM (#4414833)

clarification. I wasn't trying to make a buck. I thought the face value was $30. it was $29 so the cop busted me.

In most jurisdictions, price is irrelevant. If the face value is $29 and you sell it for $2 you are still engaging in scalping.
   120. Brian Posted: April 15, 2013 at 03:53 PM (#4414836)
Bullying statements? lol. I know you're not new here rb but that particular buzzword has no meaning at all if you truly think I was bullying you.
   121. shoewizard Posted: April 15, 2013 at 05:43 PM (#4414981)
When presented with new information........

If her version of events is accurate, then thats inexcuable behavior on the part of Kendrick.

Sorry for defending this. I was wrong.
   122. silhouetted by the sea Posted: April 15, 2013 at 06:32 PM (#4415023)
Shoegrit, since my comment was the one you originally responded to, I appreciate what you did in #121. Although I do have to wonder if you get the Internet.
   123. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: April 15, 2013 at 09:04 PM (#4415210)

Fainting couches for everyone!
   124. Jack Carter, calling Beleaguered Castle Posted: April 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM (#4415306)

Now I'm confused. I thought this was the internet.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Tuque
for his generous support.