Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, July 31, 2014

A’s Acquire Lester, Gomes For Cespedes

Cespedes for Mabry???

The Athletics have acquired Jon Lester from the Red Sox, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (Twitter links). In what will be a blockbuster deal, Jonny Gomes and Yoenis Cespedes will head to Boston. Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports first reported that Lester had been traded to an unknown club.

Passan tweets that Oakland is also sending a competitive balance draft pick to the Red Sox in the trade, and Boston is sending cash to Oakland. The A’s landed the second pick in Comp Round B in last week’s lottery.

The District Attorney Posted: July 31, 2014 at 10:03 AM | 132 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: athletics, jon lester, jonny gomes, red sox, trades, transactions, yoenis cespedes

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. Nasty Nate Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:11 PM (#4761475)
I don't think Lester will be coming back for the same reasons it rarely happens with other players.

I think it's more likely than not he goes elsewhere, but not all of the same reasons do apply. Some of the usual reasons are: low-payroll team who wouldn't want to pay a big FA contract, a team in a long-term rebuild, and a situation with bad blood between the team and the player. None of those situations seem to be present here.
but at some point a club like the Red Sox need to stop acting like they are contending for the lowest dollar per win championship.

They have a top-5 payroll every year, have said their 2015 payroll will be at around the same level, and have increased their 2015 payroll commitments since this morning. Why should we be worried that they all of a sudden won't be a high-payroll team anymore? If any high-payroll teams wins the "lowest dollar per win" championship, they will have tons and tons of real wins.
   102. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:11 PM (#4761477)
Wrong thread
   103. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:13 PM (#4761481)
Best OF arms ever?

...wasn't the question. Best trio of OF arms on one team.

The 1980 A's had Henderson (1.3 DWaR), Dwayne Murphy (1.7) and Armas (2.4), at a time when Rickey's arm in LF was actually quite good. It was an amazing trio while it lasted, which unfortunately was only for three years.
   104. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:14 PM (#4761485)
I think Boston is the most *likely* destination for Lester in the offseason, but I also think that it's less than 50%.
   105. Best Regards, President of Comfort, Esq. Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:20 PM (#4761495)
I wonder if someone with the Red Sox will reflexively leak some negative comments about Jon Lester to the media before realizing that they're going to try and bring him back as a free agent after the season.
   106. Fred Lynn Nolan Ryan Sweeney Agonistes Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:23 PM (#4761503)
Obviously it's not just about the Tigers, but the current Detroit lineup beats Lester like a ####### drum.
   107. theboyqueen Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:24 PM (#4761504)
I am kind of happy for Yoenis in a way -- Boston is a much better place for an Afro-Caribbean Spanish speaking dude than Oakland and if he does become even slightly better he is an instant star over there. I'm pretty sure he gets a huge ovation when he comes back to Oakland.

Boston is no longer my least favorite team, for what it's worth.
   108. Ron J2 Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:27 PM (#4761510)
Best trio of OF arms on one team.

Young George Bell had a pretty good arm, but the arm was the only athletic category where Moseby didn't grade out as elite.

Young Stargell threw very well but Matty Alou didn't have a great arm.

Kaline/Colavito (Colavito may have the best arm of anybody getting an extended run in LF) and ... pretty sure Bruton didn't have a plus arm.

Ollie Brown, Willie Mays, Jim Ray Hart. Hart actually had a pretty good arm (wasn't much of a defensive player, but what drove everybody nuts is that he had first rate tools -- at least before his various physical problems cropped up), Brown had a great one (among the strongest ever), Mays had slipped some by then but still. Judged by the weakest member it's a pretty high standard.
   109. Ron J2 Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:34 PM (#4761527)
#103 I don't think Henderson threw that well as a young player. Just cut off the running game in the same way young Bonds did (for years the least frequently run on LF by virtue of getting to the ball so well)

Bonds/Van Slyke/Bonilla is worth considering. Bonds didn't actually throw all that well, but as noted (Bream notwithstanding) was quite effective against the running game. Van Slyke did throw well and Bonilla had a strong arm. Granted not a legendary arm
   110. J. Sosa Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:37 PM (#4761541)
Nate, I get all that, but not when it leads to an outfield like the team had this year. Like I mentioned, I get letting Ellsbury walk, but not when it leads to a non productive outfield. It is the same with Lester, I get why they don't want to give him a deal, but who is that money going to get spent on that offers more than Lester?

Like I said, they won the World Series last year, which is great, and I'm not quite in the Ray camp that it was all a massive fluke, but I don't think it is unfair to characterize that championship as fortunate. Combine that with two bad years in three and I'm a little concerned. I understand that notion sounds greedy, but I really do think that most GMs if given the Red Sox's resources could manage one good year in three.

I continue to maintain that the Lester return talk is way too optomistic. What are the chances the Red Sox are the ones that offer him the most money? Not good if they are not willing to offer more years.
   111. Nasty Nate Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:43 PM (#4761552)
Oh sure, I agree that there is definitely reason to worry about how the Sox will spend the money, but I don't think we should worry about whether or not they will.
   112. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: July 31, 2014 at 01:45 PM (#4761559)
The 1978 Expos trio of Valentine, Dawson and Cromatie totaled 64 assists, a figure which no team has come close to in the last 40 years (the 2011 Royals group of Frenchy, Gordon and Melky came the closest with 49). Valentine and Dawson had tremendously strong arms - I don't recall if Cromartie's high assist total was a product of a powerful arm, but that group's still got to be the standard for OF wings.

Individually, Barfield's the best I've seen. Parker's was like Vlad's, strong but erratic, and truly does not belong in any best arm discussions.
   113. Ron J2 Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:00 PM (#4761606)
#112 I thought of them too. Cromartie got his assists primarily by being underrated. He didn't have a great arm, just better than was generally appreciated. Similarly he was faster than he looked.
   114. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:13 PM (#4761639)
I thought they'd get more for Milone, but there aren't many guys who can play CF available.

If anyone else needs a CF, the Pirates could probably be persuaded to part with Mel Rojas Jr.
   115. The Yankee Clapper Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:29 PM (#4761667)
Looks like I value Cespedes considerably more than Billy Beane does. Perhaps Cespedes is better on the nightly highlights than watching him every game, but it seems like a lot to give up for ~10 Jon Lester starts, plus the playoffs. Better get to the World Series or it's really a one-sided trade, assuming Oakland isn't interested in paying big money to retain Lester beyond this year.
   116. Danny Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:31 PM (#4761669)
Playoff roster, assuming everyone is healthy:

Position players: Jaso, Norris, Vogt, Moss, Sogard, Punto, Callaspo, Lowrie, Donaldson, Blanks, Fuld, Crisp, Gentry, Reddick.

Rotation: Lester, Samardzija, Gray, Kazmir

Bullpen: Doolittle, Gregerson, Otero, O'Flaherty, Abad, Cook, Hammel/Chavez

vs. RHP
C: Jaso
1B: Vogt
2B: Sogard
3B: Donaldson
SS: Lowrie
LF: Fuld
CF: Crisp
RF: Reddick
DH: Moss

vs. LHP
C: Norris
1B: Blanks
2B: Callaspo/Punto
3B: Donaldson
SS: Lowrie
LF: Moss
CF: Crisp
RF: Gentry
DH: Gomes
   117. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: July 31, 2014 at 02:43 PM (#4761687)
I'm not even sure Cespedes benefits much from hitting in Boston - people remember the HR Derby moonshots, but a lot of his homers seem to be screaming liners that barely clear the LF wall (and leave the park faster than you can turn your head). In Fenway, that's a BAM!-single.

Sure, but that's basically the only way to actually hit a HR in O.co. I am not surprised nobody remembers the routine flyball outs of his, that would be homers in Fenway.

Also, I hadn't realized this, but Cespedes has an OPS 100 points higher at O.Co than on the road (in more than a season's worth of home and road PAs).

That's basically the normal H/R split in Oakland. They are hitting .780 at home this year, .692 on the road.Leading credence to the fact that he isn't hurt by O.co less than other players.
   118. An Athletic in Powderhorn™ Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:20 PM (#4761748)
#116 has Gomes in the lineup but not on the roster. He would bump... Blanks?

Interesting pair of deals. I'm not happy with them, or the Russell one. But it's kind of thrilling to see the team go all-out after a title, the future be damned.
   119. Danny Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:25 PM (#4761769)
Whoops. Yeah, I guess Gomes would bump Blanks. Or a 2B.
   120. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:39 PM (#4761786)
From the other thread:

Is it just me, or is Cespedes not actually that good? I went to check out his stats after various A's friends of mine threatened self-harm upon hearing of this trade, and -- he doesn't walk, doesn't hit for average, doesn't play defense all that well, and reliably misses time every year. He seems like a perfectly reasonable price, if not better, for a pitcher of Lester's ability.
   121. The TVerik of Lordly Might Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:40 PM (#4761787)
Lester extension announcement in 3...2...
   122. The TVerik of Lordly Might Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:48 PM (#4761795)
David Cone has called him "Yoenis the menace". I like that.
   123. SandyRiver Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:52 PM (#4761805)
Kaline/Colavito (Colavito may have the best arm of anybody getting an extended run in LF) and ... pretty sure Bruton didn't have a plus arm.

Colavito only played left because Kaline was in right, except for Rocky's 1st year as a Tiger when Kaline was CF. I'd say Colavito had perhaps the strongest arm I've seen - in one of his minor league stops he'd offer pre-game entertainment by tossing balls over the 405' mark in CF from behind the plate. However, everybody knew he had a cannon and tended not to run, and he was far from the most accurate - too many rifle-shots from RF missed not only the cutoff man but also flew over the C/3B or whoever it was intended to reach.
   124. The Chronicles of Reddick Posted: July 31, 2014 at 03:58 PM (#4761821)
Price was acquired by Tigers in 3 team deal with Seattle and Tampa
   125. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: July 31, 2014 at 05:47 PM (#4762052)
The A's will still have Cespedes t-shirt night this weekend. That's awesome.
   126. Walt Davis Posted: July 31, 2014 at 06:10 PM (#4762067)
It seems we're seeing a lot more MLer for MLer deadline deals than ... ever. Craig, Smyly, Jackson, Cespedes, Kelly Johnson.

in retrospect, without the Samardzija trade, the A's could have gotten in on the Price trade with Russell for Jackson (pretty much exactly who they need in the OF right now). Russell might have been highly rated enough that they could get Smyly if they threw Milone in for the Rays. (Of course Russell for Price might have been more attractive than what the Rays got.)

Maybe it's just that I do believe Fuld is waiver wire material. And the A's OF looks horrible at the moment.

Ahh, the amazing Cot's has already moved Cespedes and Lester.
   127. DFA Posted: August 01, 2014 at 02:25 AM (#4762323)
Can't believe Cespedes is a Red Sox. It's gonna take some time for me to grow to hate him. I feel like this is completely unnecessary Beane. Maybe you should stick to writing books?
   128. PreservedFish Posted: August 01, 2014 at 03:00 AM (#4762324)
Maybe it's just that I do believe Fuld is waiver wire material. And the A's OF looks horrible at the moment.

Career

Cespedes: 2.9 WAR / 600 plate appearances
Fuld: 2.5 WAR / 600 plate appearances

Fangraphs
   129. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: August 01, 2014 at 08:32 AM (#4762351)
Is Cespedes expected to be in Boston tonight? #havetickets
   130. villageidiom Posted: August 01, 2014 at 08:34 AM (#4762352)
Lester extension announcement in 3...2...
What, the A's have money all of a sudden?
   131. Russ Posted: August 01, 2014 at 09:20 AM (#4762367)
Of guys I saw, Barfield had the best rocket. Another guy who less heralded, but still ridiculous, was Glenn Wilson. That dude was shooting bullets from deep RF.
   132. Nasty Nate Posted: August 01, 2014 at 10:24 AM (#4762401)
Is Cespedes expected to be in Boston tonight? #havetickets

I would expect so. Ranaudo is debuting either way.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JPWF13
for his generous support.