Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, July 16, 2018

ASG All-Star Week Thread

Catch-all thread for Home Run Derby, All-Star Game, cussing Bryce Harper, and whatnot.

Bote Man Posted: July 16, 2018 at 01:57 PM | 237 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: all-star break, omnichatter

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. Howie Menckel Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:06 AM (#5711772)
bump
   202. Red Voodooin Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:30 AM (#5711773)
I (kind of) get what you are saying, but it's really messed up to think that way- "well, that's weird but what's really weird is he should have deleted it." Seriously? He tweeted "White power," "kkk," "I hate gay people," and the N word many, many times. That's not really a regular "problematic" tweet from a teen is it? Because it seems like really ###### up stuff for anyone to say, as if a 17 year old is incapable of thought.

I didn't actually see all the tweets by him, and I don't care to. If he said the things you quoted that's grotesque, but even still, I don't think that that 17 year olds are incapable of thought, but I'm not convinced that a 25 year old should be held to account for thoughts he might have had at 17. Having said that, I think if he was a 17 year old that said those things, you are much more likely to be a 25 year old who also thinks those things, so I dunno.
   203. puck Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:47 AM (#5711775)
Hader had a pretty crappy night.

@JeffPassan

Some members of Josh Hader’s family, wearing his All-Star replica jersey, have taken them off and been given generic jerseys without his name on the back.
8:50 PM - 17 Jul 2018
   204. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:25 AM (#5711779)
Humans Are Terrible: Part Bazillion and One.
   205. Rally Posted: July 18, 2018 at 08:18 AM (#5711826)
Some members of Josh Hader’s family, wearing his All-Star replica jersey, have taken them off and been given generic jerseys without his name on the back.

Haders gonna hade.
   206. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 18, 2018 at 10:37 AM (#5711893)
Also had an offensive anti-Trayvon tweet from 2.5 years ago.
   207. PeteF3 Posted: July 18, 2018 at 11:12 AM (#5711907)
Also had an offensive anti-Trayvon tweet from 2.5 years ago.

That one is fake.
   208. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 11:22 AM (#5711915)
You know, I get the "I was young and stupid" thing. I myself was young and stupid (insert obvious joke here). When I was 16 (I started to come out of this phase at 17) I went to an ultra-liberal high school and my little "rebellion" against the groupthink was to be more conservative. I read Atlas Shrugged, etc. I know, totally cliche. I also wrote for the school newspaper and did stupid things like writing an editorial arguing against gays and lesbians being able to serve openly in the military (this was during the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" debate). So yeah, I understand having an embarrassing paper trail that doesn't reflect one's adult beliefs.

But even in my young and stupid period, I never, ever in a million years would have said the things or espoused the beliefs that he did. That's something else entirely.
   209. Blastin Posted: July 18, 2018 at 11:33 AM (#5711929)
I was dumb at 16 too. I made gay jokes (not online!). I don't think I ever had any problem with gay people, just that that's what the boys I knew joked about and I wanted to be included. It was dumb.

There were other dumb people. They made dumb jokes.

They did not publicly say racist stuff. That's a level beyond dumb. Even if he doesn't actually have a problem with these groups, the intense desire to be a public tool isn't just something that happens commonly. So he deserves all of this ridicule, and frankly I hope he pitches terribly for several months.
   210. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM (#5711938)
I was dumb at 16 too. I made gay jokes (not online!). I don't think I ever had any problem with gay people, just that that's what the boys I knew joked about and I wanted to be included. It was dumb.
Likewise. And then the reality of it smacked me in the face when, halfway through freshman year of college, a high-school friend of mine came out to me. He was kind of defiant about it, like, "I don't care if you have a problem with it, I have to do this." Man, did I feel like an a**hole realizing my behavior had made him think I was going to drop him as a friend or something.
   211. Blastin Posted: July 18, 2018 at 11:49 AM (#5711939)
Yeah I stopped when I was playing some schoolwide game of "killer" with waterguns (we had a lot of free time before facebook!), and the team chasing me was following me around trying to intimidate me by calling me a "faggot" and I was like, "wow yeah I do not want to sound like these morons."
   212. wjones Posted: July 18, 2018 at 12:26 PM (#5711965)
I tell my kids, one in particular, 'social media is not a diary'. You just can't post whatever you want, and lock it up in a drawer. It's there forever, and no matter what your mood at the time, that hateful post, that thing you said about a boss or co-worker or your sister's boyfriend turned husband, the time you advocated 'in jest' the killing of an important figure.....whatever.....it's there forever and can come back for a significant assbiting in the future.
   213. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM (#5711986)
SHORT Thought Police
LONG Behavior Police
GTC
   214. Blastin Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:01 PM (#5711990)
SHORT Thought Police
LONG Behavior Police
GTC

What?

A tweet isn't a thought.

He made dumb choices, should suffer consequences, even if only being judged negatively by people in baseball.

215. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:13 PM (#5712000)
SHORT Thought Police
LONG Behavior Police
GTC
Not sure quite how to read this. Does it mean you really think there's some subset of people out there who think things like "Yay KKK!" and "I hate gay people," but for whom such thoughts have no effect whatsoever on their behaviors?
   216. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:16 PM (#5712004)
Not at all. But aren't we lucky this guy was stupid enough to let us know that he's a jerk?

Makes you wonder who else is out there thinking the same thing, but not expressing it until it bursts out in violence.
   217. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:21 PM (#5712007)
I thank God every day that I got through college before the dawn of social media doxxing where all my stupidity has been lost to time and beer-soaked long-forgotten memories instead of being preserved like new for all eternity.
   218. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5712009)
I thank God every day that I got through college before the dawn of social media doxxing
"Dude, I heard you the first time. It's all good, glad I could help. Let's move on." --God
   219. Misirlou doesn't live in the restaurant Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:25 PM (#5712010)
90 PA in the game. nearly 50% (44/90) were HR, BB, or K.
   220. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 01:44 PM (#5712030)
Somebody tweeted today that Max Scherzer is a Three True Outcomes pitcher; Max Scherzer is fun to watch pitch; therefore, the Three True Outcomes must be fun.
   221. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:20 PM (#5712054)
Thanks, Pete (#207).
   222. TomH Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:23 PM (#5712056)
"He made dumb choices, should suffer consequences, even if only being judged negatively by people in baseball."

And if the only consequences are being judged as having real jerky thoughts and saying stuff as a not-quite-adult, possibly even losing some jersey sales, that would be fine. And if he still is saying that stuff, his teammates oughta lay into him big time.

But if "consequences" means some professional reprimand/mandatory training/fine/suspension many years later, I would blow a gasket. Could we live in a world where we forgive sticks and stones tossed out by younger people, many years prior? Being offended less? Pretty please?
   223. TomH Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:24 PM (#5712058)
Oh, and kudos to rally's 205 :)
   224. Red Voodooin Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:25 PM (#5712059)
But if "consequences" means some professional reprimand/mandatory training/fine/suspension many years later, I would blow a gasket.

Consider your gasket blown.
   225. Blastin Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:33 PM (#5712067)
sticks and stones

Please enjoy this stick (or is it a stone), but as a black guy, what he said was not something small, so eat a (what can I say that will be blocked? ah) ####

Sometimes, when it's not the day of the softball game itself, I forget what it's like to be in The Den of White Men Of A Certain Age.

Someone who is NOT offended by the N word (used repeatedly!) is

a. not a person to whom it can apply
b. kind of a jerk.

226. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 02:52 PM (#5712082)
I wonder if "sensitivity training" has ever actually made anyone more sensitive.
   227. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: July 18, 2018 at 03:17 PM (#5712105)
Of course not. It's nothing more than a perfunctory gesture of public penance so MLB can wring their hands in front of the right audiences and claim they're Doing Something.
   228. Rusty Priske Posted: July 18, 2018 at 03:33 PM (#5712116)
Thanks for that Blastin.

Sometimes people on here (and everywhere else) forget that their words have real impacts on real people.
   229. TomH Posted: July 18, 2018 at 03:56 PM (#5712133)
225 and 228, I could not agree more that we SHOULD be offended by racist language. Hopefully it was quite obvious by reading my post that this wasn't the issue I had. But in case it wasn't, I will clarify: Sending someone to sensitivity training today for what they said wrongly as a teen, without regard to who they are today, is stoopid (we could come up a pile of analogies I'm sure to illustrate, but I have learned someone always manages to poke a small hole in any analogy whether it is relevant or not, so I will defer).
We now live in a society that is more sensitive to punishing words than physical or material acts. And may I speculate, if the entire BBTF poster list went to work for MLB, what percentage would be required to go to training (especially if the nanny were not around)?
   230. SandyRiver Posted: July 18, 2018 at 04:48 PM (#5712160)
He made dumb choices, should suffer consequences, even if only being judged negatively by people in baseball.

For how long? Racism seems to be the one socially unforgivable forever and ever sin, even if it's just words (which can indeed be very hurtful) with no actions beyond. Back in the stone age (1950s) when we'd use eeny-meeny-miney... to see who got last licks in a sandlot game, some kids would substitute the N-word for "tiger" in the 2nd line. We're fortunate that social "media" was limited to face-to-face in those days.
   231. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 06:09 PM (#5712208)
Cubbies play a double-header Saturday and I'm going to be in position to attend the day game if I can figure out whether to park a ways away and taxi in or just hunt for street parking around Ravenswood and Addison. It looks like they only have night game restrictions in that neighborhood so I might score a freebie that way.

Many of the "parking lots" listed on SpotHero are either a single private space or sketchy "lots" under the EL that might not even have space when I arrive, so I'm disinclined to reserve a space that way.

Chicagoans have any better ideas? Thanks.

Also, are the Terrace Infield seats under cover? There's a threat of rain Saturday afternoon so it would be nice to be under the cover of the upper deck if that's what Terrace means.
   232. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: July 18, 2018 at 06:20 PM (#5712215)
Cubbies play a double-header Saturday and I'm going to be in position to attend the day game if I can figure out whether to park a ways away and taxi in or just hunt for street parking around Ravenswood and Addison. It looks like they only have night game restrictions in that neighborhood so I might score a freebie that way.

Yes, you should be fine parking just a bit west of the park and walking. I used to live over there, so I still park there when I drive in for non-night games. You'll find street parking just fine on those side streets.

Also, are the Terrace Infield seats under cover? There's a threat of rain Saturday afternoon so it would be nice to be under the cover of the upper deck if that's what Terrace means.

Yes, but the further back you are the less you'll be able to see because of the upper deck overhang, or worse polls. If you're talking about the red ones here, you're probably fine and under the overhang; pink and the one behind it are worse for views. I think just about anything in the 400 or 500 is better than a lot of those 200 levels ones though, and they're almost all covered (500 is for sure). You're just not that far away up there.
   233. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 06:24 PM (#5712218)
Chicagoans have any better ideas? Thanks.
Park up in my 'hood near the Lawrence or Wilson Red Line stops and either walk if it's nice (20 mins. or so) or take a quick train ride south.

Also, are the Terrace Infield seats under cover?
Yes, but there is a major drawback to those seats - it's like watching the game in letterbox format. When they put the luxury boxes in years ago, hanging down from the upper deck, they cut off the top half of those seats' view. You won't be able to see the arc of fly balls and, especially if you're in the back half of a 200-level section, you'll feel pretty distant from the action. If you really want to be covered, I think a better value for your your money would be in the 500s. You're a ways up, of course, but you get a nice expansive view if you're in the 500s between third and first.

EDIT: $17.25 Goose Island from the Wrigley vendor to Moses.
   234. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: July 18, 2018 at 07:12 PM (#5712241)
Back in the stone age (1950s) when we'd use eeny-meeny-miney... to see who got last licks in a sandlot game, some kids would substitute the N-word for "tiger" in the 2nd line. We're fortunate that social "media" was limited to face-to-face in those days.

FTR there was also a variant in the high rent districts, circa 1955, that went like this:
Eeeny-meeny miney moe
Grasp an Ethiopian by his lower extremity
If he voices vociferous exclamations, release him immediately!
Eeeny-meeny miney moe

It was usually referred to as the "sophisticated" version by its 5th grade reciters.
   235. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 09:03 PM (#5712279)
I actually found a site that shows you panoramic photos from each seating section which brings home what yous guys said about the overhang above the 200-level sections. Now the problem is finding available seats! Don't you people run errands on Saturdays instead of going to the baseball game?!
   236. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: July 18, 2018 at 09:05 PM (#5712284)
Lotta people coming from St. Louis for the series in addition to the usual Wrigley demand.
   237. Bote Man Posted: July 18, 2018 at 09:13 PM (#5712289)
Yeah, I guess I should've scheduled my visit to coincide with a crappy team playing the Cubbies, like the Nationals or sumpin. I have enough info now that I can make a decision on the fly as the time draws near. Thanks!
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Eugene Freedman
for his generous support.