Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Astros makes 2017 World Series rings

The replica ring is a staple ballpark giveaway these days, one that fans will line up hours to get. We’ve seen plenty of teams giving away recent World Series replica rings, even World Series replica rings from 50 years ago. But we’ve never seen a future World Series ring.

Win Big Stein's Money Posted: March 24, 2015 at 07:01 PM | 41 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: astros, pot

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 24, 2015 at 09:49 PM (#4917370)
They won't really mean it until they start issuing free tattoos.
   2. Batman Posted: March 24, 2015 at 10:12 PM (#4917376)
By November 2017, these rings will be on the fingers of children in third-world nations, like so many Buffalo Bills Super Bowl t-shirts.
   3. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: March 24, 2015 at 10:13 PM (#4917377)
The Grizzlies have already cancelled this promotion. Sounds like maybe the Astros objected.
   4. eddieot Posted: March 25, 2015 at 06:38 AM (#4917466)
Baseball Gods, meet the Astros. Astros, these are the Baseball Gods...
   5. RMc Has Bizarre Ideas to Fix Baseball Posted: March 25, 2015 at 07:34 AM (#4917475)
It'll be doubly funny when Hurricane George hits Houston in 2016, forcing the team to move to Portland in 2017...and then they win the World Series!
   6. Astroenteritis Posted: March 25, 2015 at 08:36 AM (#4917489)
Oh, I'm sure the Astros were not pleased with that idea. That's got to be one the worst promotions ever. Well, next to disco demolition night, or whatever it was.
   7. . Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:10 AM (#4917499)
Disco Demolition Night was a better idea.

Given their laughable arrogance, I wouldn't begin to assume that the Astros' front office wasn't involved in this.
   8. puck Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:20 AM (#4917503)
It makes more sense that the Fresno Grizzlies did this and not the Astros, and that there's context there in the SI cover and story.
   9. Pops Freshenmeyer Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:25 AM (#4917506)
The Grizzlies have already cancelled this promotion. Sounds like maybe the Astros objected.

They didn't want to lock themselves in to a specific ring design.
   10. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:37 AM (#4917508)
Disco Demolition Night was a better idea.

Disco Demolition Night was the best idea. I hope we repeat it with Dubstep.
   11. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:42 AM (#4917514)
Disco Demolition Night was the best idea. I hope we repeat it with Dubstep.

"Centerfield" Demolition Night would work for me.
   12. TerpNats Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:56 AM (#4917518)
Change that to "Sweet Caroline" Demolition Night and we have a deal. Neil Diamond deserves to be remembered for other than this.
   13. . Posted: March 25, 2015 at 09:56 AM (#4917519)
Disco Demolition Night was a textbook example of how the proletariat used to have the run of the place. At least they could entertain themselves and be entertained by the sport, without a constant procession of "Centerfield" and "Everybody Clap Your Hands" and "Make Some Noise" and trips to the nacho stands every half inning.
   14. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM (#4917521)

Change that to "Sweet Caroline" Demolition Night and we have a deal.

Make it a Double Demolition and you're on.
   15. ERROR---Jolly Old St. Nick Posted: March 25, 2015 at 10:04 AM (#4917527)
Disco Demolition Night was a textbook example of how the proletariat used to have the run of the place. At least they could entertain themselves, without a constant procession of "Centerfield" and "Everybody Clap Your Hands" and "Make Some Noise."

I used to love "Pennant Burning Night" at Candlestick in the early 70's, when Giants and Dodgers fans would take turns waving the other team's pennant in front of a group of their fans, and then setting a match to it as soon as the cheering began. It was even better when they had a capacity crowd and a temperature inversion.

P.S. to Greg K: No games were ever forfeited as a result of this good clean fun. Nor were any animals ever set on fire.
   16. Greg K Posted: March 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM (#4917529)
Disco Demolition Night was a textbook example of how the proletariat used to have the run of the place. At least they could entertain themselves and be entertained by the sport, without a constant procession of "Centerfield" and "Everybody Clap Your Hands" and "Make Some Noise" and trips to the nacho stands every half inning.

Wasn't the (second) game not played and forfeited because of it? It's that what proletariat baseball looks like I'll take having people mill about between innings as the heavy toll I have to pay to not do that again.
   17. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM (#4917536)

The fans at Disco Demolition Night entertained themselves by smoking weed in the stands and sailing disco records out onto the field like Frisbees. By all accounts, very few of them had any idea what was going on down on the field.
   18. . Posted: March 25, 2015 at 10:25 AM (#4917539)
Wasn't the (second) game not played and forfeited because of it?

Yeah, but somehow life went on.

I came home as a young HSer back from a long summer night of playing outdoors, and turned the broadcast on shortly after the records were blown up. The lasting memory is of George Kell, the Tigers' TV PBP guy, going on and on about how "Chicago's finest" had come to the rescue and taken control -- a call to law and order completely belied by the images on the screen of longhairs running amok on the bombed-out pockmarked outfield grass, occasionally slipping and tumbling on the improvised carpet of severed Donna Summer and Gloria Gaynor albums.
   19. Greg K Posted: March 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM (#4917551)
Yeah, but somehow life went on.

But it doesn't when someone in front of you gets up between innings for some food?
   20. John Northey Posted: March 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM (#4917569)
Disco demolition night is special as it is a promotion that will never be forgotten - can we say that about any other promotion?
   21. Hal Chase School of Professionalism Posted: March 25, 2015 at 11:31 AM (#4917584)
can we say that about any other promotion?

Cleveland 10 cent beer night?
   22. . Posted: March 25, 2015 at 11:32 AM (#4917586)
But it doesn't when someone in front of you gets up between innings for some food?

Between innings? People wander aimlessly through the mallpark en masse during the games.

Call me old-fashioned, but when I go to a sporting event, I actually prefer to be in a crowd of people who are into the game. Like, for example, at a road trip to Comiskey Park a little more than four years to the day after Disco Demolition Night. The contrast between those two games and your typical 2014 mallpark game couldn't be more stark.
   23. SouthSideRyan Posted: March 25, 2015 at 11:44 AM (#4917596)
A gay president in 2084?
   24. Greg K Posted: March 25, 2015 at 11:45 AM (#4917601)
Well sure, the experience of being at a ballpark changes over time and there's nothing wrong with preferring one experience more than another. Disco Demolition Night just seems like a terrible example to use to prove the point though, as

A) Many people at that particular game weren't there to be entertained by a baseball game
B) Even if you don't like the experience, watching a game at a mall-park is better than going home because the game was cancelled isn't it?

Going to the baseball game was funner in 1979 than it is in 2015, that's an argument that is intelligible. Disco Demolition Night as an example which demonstrates that seems bizarre to me.

EDIT: I was only using "between innings" to correspond with your original statement in #13 by the way. I wouldn't deny that ignoramuses get up all the time at games. At least hockey games there seems to still be some decorum about only getting up during a break in play.
   25. Man o' Schwar Posted: March 25, 2015 at 12:00 PM (#4917621)
10 cent beer night? I believe that also ended in a forfeit.

EDIT: 10-cent beer to Hal Chase. Don't drink and gamble.
   26. RMc Has Bizarre Ideas to Fix Baseball Posted: March 25, 2015 at 12:01 PM (#4917624)
The lasting memory is of George Kell, the Tigers' TV PBP guy, going on and on about how "Chicago's finest" had come to the rescue and taken control

I was watching that game, too, and I distinctly remember Kell saying, "They're all over the field, for Christ's sake!"

Rusty Torres was there that night, of course.
   27. Kiko Sakata Posted: March 25, 2015 at 12:22 PM (#4917649)
Call me old-fashioned, but when I go to a sporting event, I actually prefer to be in a crowd of people who are into the game.

I do too, but it makes your nostalgia for Disco Demolition Night, of all things, even more bizarre. There has probably never been a professional sports crowd LESS into the game in the history of professional sports than the crowd in Comiskey Park at Disco Demolition Night.
   28. Astroenteritis Posted: March 25, 2015 at 12:25 PM (#4917651)
Disco Demolition Night was a better idea

Yeah, I guess the idea was good, just the execution was lacking.

Given their laughable arrogance, I wouldn't begin to assume that the Astros' front office wasn't involved in this.

They weren't. And the Astros are no higher than 18th in the league in arrogance. Going 51-111 will take care of that.
   29. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 25, 2015 at 12:50 PM (#4917666)
Call me old-fashioned, but when I go to a sporting event, I actually prefer to be in a crowd of people who are into the game. Like, for example, at a road trip to Comiskey Park a little more than four years to the day after Disco Demolition Night. The contrast between those two games and your typical 2014 mallpark game couldn't be more stark.

I went to a lot of games at Old Comiskey during the 1980s. The fans were, as you say, much more proletarian than today's crowds: working class, racially mixed, very much into the ballgame. The crowds were never big - I remember arriving at a twi-night doubleheader around the fourth inning of game one, and buying a ticket in the second row - but they were dedicated.

The crowd for Disco Demolition Night was nothing like that, except that I suppose most of them were working class. They had much less interest in baseball than any crowd at a mallpark today. If you think that crowd was "into the game," you literally have no idea what you're talking about.
   30. Blastin Posted: March 25, 2015 at 12:53 PM (#4917670)
I have no idea how ballparks came to use a 3-second clip from it, but the song is the Cha-Cha Slide, which, for us young folks, is a lot of fun when people won't dance at parties. He does, once, say "everybody clap your hands." He says a lot of other things. It's a line dance. But, this being a suuuuuper white crowd, I wouldn't expect you guys to know the dance.

My running team busted out a fantastic Cha-Cha Slide at our annual party a few weeks back. That was a fantastic night.

Agreement that dubstep is dumb.
   31. Pat Rapper's Delight (as quoted on MLB Network) Posted: March 25, 2015 at 01:05 PM (#4917678)
Yeah, I guess the idea was good, just the execution was lacking.

It was good in the beginning, but then it went too far.
   32. Nasty Nate Posted: March 25, 2015 at 01:11 PM (#4917681)
He says a lot of other things. It's a line dance. But, this being a suuuuuper white crowd, I wouldn't expect you guys to know the dance.
They play that at "super white" weddings I have been to.
   33. base ball chick Posted: March 25, 2015 at 02:00 PM (#4917704)
a whole lot of people in 1979 were going to the ballpark to get drunk and have fights
have heard plenty of stories from my mama and her friends

unless, sugarbear honey, you got a problem with females being allowed to go to baseball games without bodyguards, so that they are not doused with beer and assaaulted by drunk males. i have heard from pretty much almost every female i have ever talked to about going to baseball games in the 70s that it was not a great experience and that sitting in the bleachers was actually dangerous.

and will you stop with the proletariat bull excrememnt please

you sound like vladi lenin
   34. . Posted: March 25, 2015 at 02:35 PM (#4917727)
a whole lot of people in 1979 were going to the ballpark to get drunk and have fights
have heard plenty of stories from my mama and her friends

Oh, yeah. Definitely true. As well as get drunk and, say, climb the screen behind home plate before 6:00 pm during a twi-night doubleheader.

unless, sugarbear honey, you got a problem with females being allowed to go to baseball games without bodyguards, so that they are not doused with beer and assaaulted by drunk males.

I have no problem with females at baseball games ... or anywhere else for that matter.

i have heard from pretty much almost every female i have ever talked to about going to baseball games in the 70s that it was not a great experience and that sitting in the bleachers was actually dangerous.

I sat in the Tiger Stadium bleachers opening day 1984. (*) There's no ####### way I would have ever have sit in them for a night game in that era.

and will you stop with the proletariat bull excrememnt please

you sound like vladi lenin

Then as now I had what I guess you could call a "detached attachment." They add a certain spice to the festivities just so long as I don't have to be ... too close. I do know that a stadium full of them is spontaneously abuzz in a way stadiums really aren't anymore, other than very rarely.

(*) Later that summer, they closed them for about a month. The patrons had taken to their own version of the Lite beer "Tastes great // Less filling" chant in which one side would scream \"#### You" and the other would scream back "Eat ####." The episodes that got them closed were even worse.

35. Jose is an Absurd Force of Nature Posted: March 25, 2015 at 02:48 PM (#4917741)
Disco Demolition Night was a textbook example of how the proletariat used to have the run of the place. At least they could entertain themselves and be entertained by the sport

It seems odd to use a night when the focus was entirely NOT on the baseball being played as an example of the good old days when people were only focused on the baseball.
   36. Gch exhales the vast drunken folly of Epicurus Posted: March 25, 2015 at 03:06 PM (#4917752)
Disco demolition night is special as it is a promotion that will never be forgotten - can we say that about any other promotion?

The Browns' Grandstand Managers game
Eddie Gaedel's one plate appearance
   37. Tom was totally clowned by CW Posted: March 25, 2015 at 03:30 PM (#4917768)
base ball chick, you see the news about Jack Vincennes? RIP, 3-24. Great fan and great friend to many of us here.
   38. Tom Nawrocki Posted: March 25, 2015 at 03:33 PM (#4917772)

In part that's because really great promotions get done over and over again. The White Sox had this super-cool idea back in 1990 to do a "Turn Back the Clock" game, where the players wore uniforms from 1917 and the PA announcer spoke through a megaphone and general admission tickets were 50 cents. The only reason it isn't more memorable is that it's been done hundreds of times since then.
   39. Random Transaction Generator Posted: March 25, 2015 at 04:03 PM (#4917794)
Between innings? People wander aimlessly through the mallpark en masse during the games.

At Rogers Centre in Toronto, they don't allow fans back down the aisles to their seats until the plate appearance is finished.
So you can't stop people from getting up and leaving during an at-bat, they do stop them from trying to return in the middle of one.
   40. base ball chick Posted: March 25, 2015 at 04:33 PM (#4917812)
Tom (and his broom) Posted: March 25, 2015 at 03:30 PM (#4917768)

base ball chick, you see the news about Jack Vincennes? RIP, 3-24. Great fan and great friend to many of us here

WHAT????
WHEN??
HOW???

i just talked to huim mon night
   41. Tom was totally clowned by CW Posted: March 25, 2015 at 04:44 PM (#4917823)
Apparently suicide, yesterday, I know he had been struggling with things lately, but he has always had a bit of melancholy. Jill is talking about doing some kind of memorial during baseball season.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BFFB
for his generous support.