Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, November 09, 2017

BA: Minor League Free Agents 2017

572 players, with a mix of names you know, names you knew, and unknown unknowns.

BA’s JJ Cooper, on Twitter, highlighted RHP Alejandro Chacin, Ismael Guillon (could be a LOOGY), CM Patrick Leonard, and 2-way guys Anthony Gose and Christian Bethancourt as standouts. My favorite might be RHP Yimmi Brasoban (24 next year, has shown a plus to plus-plus fastball and slider in the past).

Der-K: downgraded to lurker Posted: November 09, 2017 at 11:26 AM | 15 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: busts, dreams, free agency, minor league free agents, minor leagues

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. DaVoice of DaPeople Posted: November 10, 2017 at 11:18 AM (#5574054)
Always a helpful reminder of how frequently prospects turn out to be busts!
   2. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: November 10, 2017 at 11:55 AM (#5574083)
It's gotta be time for Steven Moya to head to Japan and hit 40 bombs, right?
   3. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 10, 2017 at 12:23 PM (#5574101)
Primarily because the Cubs need a SS to stash at Iowa who can put in a few solid weeks as a utility player in case of injury --

A few guys that interest me would be Chrishthhahiawhatever Adames -- he's looked helpless at the plate in the majors, but has posted some non-awful MLB lines. Can play a decent enough SS, still relatively young. Another would be Jose Vinicio, assuming that my perception of his glove isn't over-inflated by the BBTF Bosox tilt. There's also Cito Culver, but I'll admit that's virtually all predicated on the fact that he's a former 1st rounder. Not much promise in his minor league career. Beyond that, you do have a few Robert Andino types (including Andino himself).

The only guy on the Cubs list worth a sniff might be Trey Martin -- he's got massive holes in his swing, but he's pretty fast and while long past -- there was once a time when people thought he might develop a wee bit more pop.
   4. Mike Emeigh Posted: November 10, 2017 at 01:01 PM (#5574127)
Most of the guys on this list should be ready to get on with their life's work. Most will probably play somewhere next year, though.

I'm trying to figure out why people still have interest in Anthony Gose.

-- MWE
   5. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: November 10, 2017 at 01:21 PM (#5574146)

Dunno if you knew, Mike, but the Tigers were working on a OF-to-RP conversion with him this season. He throws upper-90s from the left side, but I don't think he does much else.
   6. DL from MN Posted: November 10, 2017 at 01:55 PM (#5574181)
Pudge Rodriguez' kid is worth giving a chance at AAA. He only recently converted to pitching.
   7. Non-Youkilidian Geometry Posted: November 10, 2017 at 03:08 PM (#5574226)
I'm trying to figure out why people still have interest in Anthony Gose.

His ERA after the pitching conversion last year wasn't pretty, but he was reportedly throwing 100 mph before he got hurt. And he's a lefty. Assuming he's healthy, somebody's going to take a flyer on him.

EDIT: Coke to Jorge Luis B.
   8. Voodoo Posted: November 10, 2017 at 03:27 PM (#5574236)
The only guy on the Cubs list worth a sniff might be Trey Martin -- he's got massive holes in his swing, but he's pretty fast and while long past -- there was once a time when people thought he might develop a wee bit more pop.

I have fond memories of Trey Martin from his stint on the 2012 Boise Hawks, a team that I followed up close and personal during the very lean Cubs rebuilding years. I'm not sure how true this is, but it feels to me that this team had a lot of future MLB position player contributors for a short-season single A team. There was Willson Contreras (who nobody knew was even a prospect at the time; it was his first season after converting to catcher, I believe), Albert Almora, Marco Hernandez, Jeimer Candelario, and Dan Vogelbach. I had high hopes for Gioskar Amaya, Shawon Dunston, Jr, and the wonderfully named Rock Shoulders, but they didn't pan out.
   9. DCA Posted: November 10, 2017 at 03:39 PM (#5574242)
His ERA after the pitching conversion last year wasn't pretty

Small sample size (only 10.2 innings) and his peripherals were solid: 7 hits, 0 HR, 6 walks, 14 strikeouts. Much better than Bethancourt, at least.

And he was above replacement as a hitter before turning to pitching -- not a starting quality player but could be a decent 4th/5th OF (the fast backup, not the slugging one).

If he can pitch, hit 250/300/350, run the bases well, and play all three OF positions, that's a nifty player.
   10. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 10, 2017 at 03:43 PM (#5574245)
I have fond memories of Trey Martin from his stint on the 2012 Boise Hawks, a team that I followed up close and personal during the very lean Cubs rebuilding years. I'm not sure how true this is, but it feels to me that this team had a lot of future MLB position player contributors for a short-season single A team. There was Willson Contreras (who nobody knew was even a prospect at the time; it was his first season after converting to catcher, I believe), Albert Almora, Marco Hernandez, Jeimer Candelario, and Dan Vogelbach. I had high hopes for Gioskar Amaya, Shawon Dunston, Jr, and the wonderfully named Rock Shoulders, but they didn't pan out.

Hey - that's one all-star caliber player (Will), one guy who looks like he ought to be at least a decent regular (Almora), two more guys that still have better than decent shots to carve out careers (Candelario and Voges), plus a utility player. I don't think your memories of a short A team are rose-colored at all -- I suspect any team in any condition takes that sort of value out of their short A team in a heartbeat.

You're also forgetting the immortal Felix Pena - who bbref tells me was an integral part of the pitching staff :-)
   11. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 10, 2017 at 03:45 PM (#5574247)
Not that I don't disagree that Gose may be worth a flier -- but doesn't he also have a reputation as a bit of a problem child?
   12. Voodoo Posted: November 10, 2017 at 03:58 PM (#5574255)
You're also forgetting the immortal Felix Pena - who bbref tells me was an integral part of the pitching staff :-)

And your boy Pierce Johnson! ;)
   13. Jefferson Manship (Dan Lee) Posted: November 10, 2017 at 04:49 PM (#5574299)
Perci Garner's an interesting case.

He's had a couple of stretches in his career where he absolutely could not find the strike zone - if it's not Blass Disease, it's Blass adjacent - but when he's right he's a solid bullpen arm. In 2016, he put up a 1.83 ERA between Akron and Columbus with a K/BB ratio over 3.1. In 2017, he walked 8 batters and got four outs for Columbus. It's tough to know what you're going to get. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fastball sits in the mid-90s, can dial it up to 97 or so when necessary. Seems like someone who'd be worth an under-the-radar flier as an NRI.
   14. Zonk Tormundbane Posted: November 10, 2017 at 07:09 PM (#5574371)

And your boy Pierce Johnson! ;)

Ah yes - I did see the 8 IP, but talk about getting old... I figured it was some sort of injury start to build arm strength or something - but I guess that was the year he drafted.

4 starts and 8 IP.... He must have been on serious pitch count -- 4 GS, 8 IP, 12 Ks, 3 BBs, 10 hits and 4 runs.
   15. Man o' Schwar Posted: November 10, 2017 at 07:44 PM (#5574384)
and the wonderfully named Rock Shoulders

The world is a much sadder place that he didn't pan out.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
James Kannengieser
for his generous support.