Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, November 07, 2018

BA: Minor League Free Agents 2018

520 players, list includes hyperlinks to BA player pages.

Pretty slim pickings this year. JJ Cooper called out Kyle Zimmer as a possible sleeper…

Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 07, 2018 at 02:58 PM | 23 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: dreams, free agents, minor leagues, retirements

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Man o' Schwar Posted: November 07, 2018 at 03:30 PM (#5783828)
Chris Coghlan isn't a bad guy to stash at AAA in the case that all 3 of your MLB OFs run into each other trying to catch a pop-up in the sun.

Cory Mazzoni will end up on someone's bullpen shuttle for 2019.

Jose Paulino just fell apart after looking promising in 2016. I imagine he may be done.

Casey Coleman was a thing awhile back. I can't believe it's been 6 seasons since he pitched with the Cubs. Seems like just yesterday.

I assume someone will sign Terrance Gore, because speed.
   2. Man o' Schwar Posted: November 07, 2018 at 03:34 PM (#5783830)
I bet someone takes a chance on Jake Thompson. He's still only 24.
   3. BDC Posted: November 07, 2018 at 03:48 PM (#5783846)
Ryan Rua inexplicably became a recurring presence on the Rangers' major-league roster after batting .197 at Round Rock in 2015. Jeff Banister's fascination with Rua (who has hit .236/.289/.382 as a major-leaguer) is one of the things I will not miss about him.

The other Rangers with much ML experience on the list are Chi Chi Gonzalez, once a top pitching prospect who hasn't thrown in the majors since Banister (also inexplicably; maybe there is a reason they fired him) rode Gonzalez for 124 pitches in a game he was getting creamed in a couple of years ago. And the awesomely named Austin Bibens-Dirkx. I like Bibens-Dirkx – I've talked to him a few times on extremely slow "autograph nights" at the Ballpark. He is in his mid-30s and finally broke into the majors in 2017; it's a nice story. But he did not achieve a whole lot either in relief or as a starter.
   4. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 07, 2018 at 04:52 PM (#5783925)
Chris Coghlan isn't a bad guy

Agree to disagree on that one.
   5. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 07, 2018 at 04:53 PM (#5783929)
Hamlet Marte seems interesting, as minor league catchers go.
   6. Man o' Schwar Posted: November 07, 2018 at 05:03 PM (#5783940)
Why do we hate Chris Coghlan?
   7. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 07, 2018 at 05:08 PM (#5783947)
You can ask Jung Ho Kang, now that he's back in the country.
   8. Man o' Schwar Posted: November 07, 2018 at 05:24 PM (#5783952)
So the slide that the injured guy and most everyone involved said wasn't dirty, that's reason to hate Coghlan? You must hate everyone who ever slid hard leading up to the rule change (and of course everyone who slid hard after the rule change).

This place is a tough audience sometimes. I've never seen a group so ready to hate everyone for everything.
   9. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 07, 2018 at 05:29 PM (#5783953)
Ryan Rua inexplicably became a recurring presence on the Rangers' major-league roster after batting .197 at Round Rock in 2015. Jeff Banister's fascination with Rua (who has hit .236/.289/.382 as a major-leaguer) is one of the things I will not miss about him.

Ha.

There are certain players in OOTP that the AI struggles with DFA on and instead gets rather desperate to trade away. As in, the AI will consider almost anything in trade - even limited bad contracts - to get rid of him. It will toss in a decent prospect if you take this player of its hands, too. OOTP players who start a lot of seasons and use the 'shop a player' know what I'm talking about.

For like 2-3 years now - the AI considers Ryan Rua that player for the Rangers.
   10. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 07, 2018 at 05:42 PM (#5783968)
Looking at the Cubs list -

Corey Black was the Soriano return. Hard thrower - but walks the world. Missed all of 2017 and most of 2018 coming back from TJ surgery. The Cubs had an idea he might be a useful reliever - and he was making some slow progress before blowing his arm out. I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs bring him back on a minor league deal.

Jose Rosario and Daury Torrez are kind of like the Cubs versions of Rua - but without the unfortunate wasting of a 40 man/25 man roster spot on them.

Stephen Bruno is a guy I used to confuse with David Bote.

Trey Martin was DJ Wilson before DJ Wilson became Trey Martin... who was incidentally the new Mike Mallory before all of that. Toolsy CF who runs well, has some pop, but who never learned to hit.

Jose Paulino is slow-moving org fodder - but I think he's just 22 or so.

In a world without bazillion-man bullpens - Bijan Rademacher is one of those guys who might have had a career as LHB PH/OF - but he can't play CF and nobody is going to carry a corner OF whose only skill is making decent contact against RHP.

And my god... Casey Coleman? Do the Cubs keep him around as some kind of threat against the fans whining or complaining too much about something? Is he to be our punishment if we misbehave?
   11. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 07, 2018 at 05:53 PM (#5783972)
So the slide that the injured guy and most everyone involved said wasn't dirty, that's reason to hate Coghlan?

The injured guy said that it wasn't dirty in response to a request from the Cubs, because Coghlan was receiving death threats. Being right isn't worth getting a guy killed by some wacko.

I don't hate Coghlan for injuring Kang. I think Coghlan is a derpy bumblefuck who injures people on slides because nobody ever taught him the right way to do a takeout slide safely. The fact that he hasn't done anything to improve his technique and stop putting opponents at risk, though, doesn't speak all that well of his character. It's like if a hitter continually smacked the catcher in the head on the backswing. At some point, you need to make it a priority to stop doing that ####.
   12. Zonk qualifies as an invasive species Posted: November 07, 2018 at 06:01 PM (#5783974)
Random interesting guys...

Arizona
Jose Vinicio is a guy I wouldn't mind the Cubs stashing at TN or IA - he'll hit no better than Freeman in injury emergency backup situations, but he supposedly has a good glove, I think.

Braves
I vaguely recall Jacob Lindgren is a hard-throwing reliever that once had a future - looks like he's been injured a lot these last few years? Tyler Pike is 24 with good K rates. Tyler Marlette is good backstop org fodder.

Orioles
Aderlin Rodruigez is a guy I remember lots of primate Mets fans liking many years ago.

Red Sox
So THAT'S where Mike Olt ended up.

White Sox
Bryan Flete was part of the Q trade, so you know... the Sox didn't totally make out like bandits.

Reds
Chacin and Crockett are both guys worth triple bullpen spots. And man - the Reds are Mets prospects (Dilson Herrera, Domingo Tapia) go to die. And it's also where one-time OF prospects - Malik Collymore, Mason Williams, CJ McElroy - meet for beers.

13. Moses Taylor, aka Hambone Fakenameington Posted: November 07, 2018 at 06:03 PM (#5783975)
That goodness you've derailed another thread in your official capacity of ONLINE DEFENDER for that sexual assaulting, serial drunk driving piece of ####. But yes, let's talk about Coghlan's "character" based on an on-field play that was considered legal at the time.

---

Corey Black was the Soriano return. Hard thrower - but walks the world. Missed all of 2017 and most of 2018 coming back from TJ surgery. The Cubs had an idea he might be a useful reliever - and he was making some slow progress before blowing his arm out. I wouldn't be shocked if the Cubs bring him back on a minor league deal.
Corey Black @CblackCHC Nov 5

Officially signed back with the cubs. I’d been really stressed about free agency the last few months since I knew I needed another surgery. Grateful that this organization is staying behind me and giving me the chance I’ve truly worked for.

14. Fernigal McGunnigle Posted: November 07, 2018 at 06:30 PM (#5783982)
A friend of mine thinks that Micah Johnson (formerly of Tampa/Durham) is the most handsome minor leaguer she's seen in recent memory. That's something. Alas, he's 27 and hit .198 last year. Still, you can't teach handsome.
   15. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 07, 2018 at 06:34 PM (#5783983)
I vaguely recall Jacob Lindgren is a hard-throwing reliever that once had a future - looks like he's been injured a lot these last few years?

Two TJ surgeries.
   16. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: November 07, 2018 at 06:41 PM (#5783985)
That goodness you've derailed another thread in your official capacity of ONLINE DEFENDER for that sexual assaulting, serial drunk driving piece of ####.

Kang being a dick himself doesn't justify what Coghlan or Maddon did. And as far as I know, Akinori Iwamura never did any of those things, and Coghlan never worked to improve his slides after injuring Iwamura, either.

If you don't want outside fans to hate on people from your team, convince your team to hire better people.

But yes, let's talk about Coghlan's "character" based on an on-field play that was considered legal at the time.

a) Running up at someone and drop-kicking them in the knee, causing a serious injury, has never been "legal". It's battery, and Coghlan only got away with it because pro sports occupy this weird place where certain kinds of legal violations are tolerated as part of the culture of the game.

b) All kinds of awful #### is or was legal. For instance, it used to be legal to buy and sell human beings, or to rape your wife. In spite of their legality, do those actions not reflect the character of a man who did them?
   17. What did Billy Ripken have against ElRoy Face? Posted: November 07, 2018 at 06:54 PM (#5783988)
So you're saying I shouldn't actually bring you the head of Alfredo Griffin?
   18. Rally Posted: November 07, 2018 at 07:34 PM (#5784004)
Coghlan did in fact learn how to avoid collisions on the bases.

YouTube
   19. The Duke Posted: November 07, 2018 at 09:54 PM (#5784033)
Alex Mejia from the Cards was pretty good until last year. I thought he looked good in his brief callup. Not sure why he went backward last year but if I had a SS roster spot in AAA, I’d give him a look
   20. base ball chick Posted: November 08, 2018 at 12:11 AM (#5784072)
my god mitch talbot was at AAA for the tribe - he was on the sugarland skeeters, i swear - in case all yall forgot, he's the pitcher traded with ben zobrist (the worst all time astgros trade) for aubrey freaking huff

a bunch of ex-stros like jake buchanan (who was supposed to be the net great pitcher but wasn't) and LJ hoes (who, if i remember rightly, was actually good the year he was with the stros)

more than a few guys who are 37, 38 - like craig breslow, still hanging in there , good for them
i recognized a lot of names

21. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 08, 2018 at 11:14 AM (#5784243)
Eyeballing position players...

Wilfredo Tovar keeps not getting MLB cameos but is a plus defender at short and an adequate hitter. He can help somebody. I say this every year.

Dilson Herrera was bad in his Reds' time last year, but can help a team if healthy. He's an awkward mix of skills for a 2018 bench, given that he's not ideally a starter, but I still kinda like his bat.

Boog Powell forgot how to play baseball. If he remembers, he's a decent bench option in the outfield.

There's some dudes that I can see using in open AA/AAA spots to see if they can make one or two giant leaps forward - guys who don't look near useful yet but have a mix of tools, occasional performance, and relative youth that are worth an eyeball. Harold Ramirez (bad corner outfield glove, but what if he finally taps his power?), BJ Boyd (possible 4th/5th outfield, though lousy in '18), Mitch Nay (corner infielder with some Kevin Millar to him), Osvaldo Abreu (has flashed a versatile offensive game and the ability to play middle infield, but way too error prone and inconsistent). Wulimer Becerra has had a bat in the past. Ivan Castillo won an A+ batting title (without secondary skills) and can play all over the field.

Bruce Maxwell is a plus option for a AAA spot and Tyler Marlette has a one-in-a-bunch shot at panning out still. Hamlet Marte caught my eye as well, Vlad. Christian Bethancourt is still an interesting mess. CM Randy Cesar was a decent hitter in AA and will only be 24 next year.
   22. The Run Fairy Posted: November 08, 2018 at 04:19 PM (#5784475)
Not really interesting in a prospect sense but I enjoyed following Claudio Custodio's season with the Blue Jays MiL teams. He was a Yankees prospect who got converted to pitching from being an infielder/utilityguy. The Yankees cut him in 2016 and he wound up playing in a southern Ontario independent league in 2017. He helped his team win the championship and got a MiL deal from the Jays out of it.

Funny thing though:

2016: 46 2/3 IP, 43 hits, 2 home runs, 13 walks, 34 strikeouts, 196 batters faced (6.6 k/9, 2.5 bb/9, 0.4 hr/9, 1.200 WHIP)
2018: 47 1/3 IP, 44 hits, 2 home runs, 13 walks, 32 strikeouts, 200 batters faced (6.1 k/9, 2.5 bb/9, 0.4 hr/9, 1.204 WHIP)

Take that, Khris Davis.

Eyeballing it, Steamer thinks he'd have an ERA+ of 86, which isn't good for a reliever but not bad for a guy who was pitching in Barrie.
   23. Der-K: at 10% emotional investment Posted: November 14, 2018 at 01:14 PM (#5787390)
Totally missed Dylan Moore who got a big league deal after hitting well (kind of for the first time) in '17 - he can play all over the field, but seems more like a nice AAA guy than a prospect to me. Otoh, this is minor league free agency - that's fine. Jacob Scavuzzo is still just 25 and has pop in an outfield corner.

On the pitching side, Ryan Merritt just signed with Tampa. Maybe a bit removed from his postseason heroics, he'll still only be 27 next year and walked virtually no one while in AAA last year. Still a soft tosser though (2 W in 71.1 ip - by comparison, he hit 6), in an era where we aren't down with that. Hope he fares better than the last guy like this Tampa signed, Ryan Weber (who got outs but the Rays basically avoided him on their bullpen shuttle).

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

News

All News | Prime News

Old-School Newsstand

BBTF Partner

Dynasty League Baseball

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
cardsfanboy
for his generous support.