Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, December 09, 2013

Baseball America: 2014 New York Yankees Top 10 Prospects

I once assisted rookie Thad Tillotson get coffee for the Yankees. Didn’t help.

TOP 10 PROSPECTS

1. Gary Sanchez, c
2. Slade Heathcott, of
3. Mason Williams, of
4. J.R. Murphy, c
5. Eric Jagielo, 3b
6. Aaron Judge, of
7. Ian Clarkin, lhp
8. Greg Bird, 1b
9. Luis Severino, rhp
10. Gosuke Katoh, 2b

As if that weren’t maddening enough, nearly all of the Yankees’ potential impact prospects took a step back. Outfielder Mason Williams struggled with weight gain and poor performance. Outfielder Slade Heathcott was just getting going before knee tendinitis ended his season. Outfielder Tyler Austin missed significant time at Double-A with a wrist injury.

Righthander Jose Campos, already on a strict innings limit after missing most of 2012 with a fractured elbow, plodded along at low Class A. Second baseman Angelo Gumbs was demoted from high Class A Tampa to low Class A Charleston. Righty Ty Hensley, the team’s first-rounder in 2012, missed the entire season with surgeries to both hips.

The Yankees restocked with three first-round picks in the 2013 draft—Eric Jagielo, Ian Clarkin, Aaron Judge—but even they missed time with injuries. Still, that trio and offensive second baseman Gosuke Katoh give the system a jolt of potential impact talent, and there were other bright spots, most notably catcher Gary Sanchez reaching Double-A while improving defensively.

Repoz Posted: December 09, 2013 at 06:13 PM | 31 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. vortex of dissipation Posted: December 09, 2013 at 06:26 PM (#4614644)
Outfielder Mason Williams struggled with weight gain

Perhaps he had stomach trouble - classical gas?
   2. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: December 09, 2013 at 07:46 PM (#4614718)
Wasn't it after 2005 that Cashman took over supervision of the farm system? What has the system produced since then?
   3. SG Posted: December 09, 2013 at 07:55 PM (#4614722)
Joba and IPK!
   4. SG Posted: December 09, 2013 at 07:56 PM (#4614725)
I guess we can give him David Robertson too.
   5. Brian Posted: December 09, 2013 at 08:13 PM (#4614733)
This is pathetic. Cashman has to give this part of his job to someone who has a clue or just get canned.
   6. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 09, 2013 at 09:03 PM (#4614748)
No real idea why Cashman still has a job.
   7. Los Angeles El Hombre of Anaheim Posted: December 09, 2013 at 09:08 PM (#4614749)
Count the ringzzz.
   8. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 09, 2013 at 09:12 PM (#4614750)
Count the ringzzz.

Those first 3 years, running a team somebody else built (he took over in Feb. '98), are carrying a lot of water in that logic.
   9. Joyful Calculus Instructor Posted: December 09, 2013 at 09:18 PM (#4614756)
The Yankees drafted and developed Austin Jackson, he of 19 WAR over the last four years. But they traded him for the more mediocre and expensive Curtis Granderson.
   10. KT's Pot Arb Posted: December 09, 2013 at 10:39 PM (#4614798)
Brett Gardner, Austin Jackson, David Robertson, Ian Kennedy, Joba, Melanconen, Storen, Gerrit Cole, David Phelps, Adam Warren, etc, etc, probably a dozen more who have made majors. They weren't able to sign Doug Fister. His biggest miss is he's had zero top ten picks pan out, oh wait he hasn't had any top ten picks.

High school picks from his first draft would be 25 years old now. Still some time for some to develop.

If Cashman is fired, the Yankees will be run just like the Mariners.
   11. Pleasant Nate (Upgraded from 'Nate') Posted: December 09, 2013 at 10:47 PM (#4614807)
He didn't sign Gerrit Cole -- no credit there.

And that's an awful list of accomplishments for as long as he's been in office, even accounting for draft position. It's Austin Jackson and nothing of note.
   12. MikeTorrez Posted: December 09, 2013 at 10:52 PM (#4614810)
Brett Gardner has 19 WAR...and he's nothing of note? Kennedy has had a decent run. Joba was a stud until he flamed out. Lots of bullpen arms in the majors. It ain't great...but given the draft position and the amount of picks they've forfeited to sign free agents over the years I'd say it's not that bad.

I guess we have a different take on what something "of note" is.
   13. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 09, 2013 at 11:02 PM (#4614818)
High school picks from his first draft would be 25 years old now.

He was drafting 10 y.o.'s in 1998?

Brett Gardner, Austin Jackson, David Robertson, Ian Kennedy, Joba, Melanconen, Storen, Gerrit Cole, David Phelps, Adam Warren, etc, etc, probably a dozen more who have made majors. They weren't able to sign Doug Fister. His biggest miss is he's had zero top ten picks pan out, oh wait he hasn't had any top ten picks.

That's pretty lousy production for being GM for 15 years. He didn't sign Cole or Fister, so in what world does that count?

2 good regulars, one good SP, and a bunch of RPs for 15 years of drafting. That's a reasonable result? Add in international free agents (where he had unlimited ability to spend for 14 of the 15 years) and you get Cano and Nova. Again, is that reasonable for 15 years?

but given the draft position and the amount of picks they've forfeited to sign free agents over the years I'd say it's not that bad.

He's been GM for 15 years; the forfeited picks are his responsibility.
   14. ??'s Biggest Fan! Posted: December 09, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4614819)
Again, you don't exactly get high draft choices when you're constantly replenishing your roster with other team's free agents. Of course, if you stop signing other team's free agents to upgrade your roster, the meme becomes the owners are no longer interested in winning. The Yankees are in a tough spot. Rebuilding is supposedly something that can't be done because of attendance and ratings. But rebuilding is exactly what Father Time and entropy will force them into doing in about a year or so. They should have the foresight and courage to unwind their roster on their own terms.
   15. Pleasant Nate (Upgraded from 'Nate') Posted: December 09, 2013 at 11:04 PM (#4614820)
I'm not sure that Gardner has really generated all that much value on defense, but sure, include him. Everyone has good pitchers that get hurt. Kennedy is a league average pitcher. It's still a bad list even considering draft position.

16. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: December 09, 2013 at 11:06 PM (#4614821)
Brett Gardner has 19 WAR...and he's nothing of note? Kennedy has had a decent run. Joba was a stud until he flamed out. Lots of bullpen arms in the majors. It ain't great...but given the draft position and the amount of picks they've forfeited to sign free agents over the years I'd say it's not that bad.

I guess we have a different take on what something "of note" is.

Keep in mind that I'm a Yanks fan when I write this, but the Yanks' draft history pales in comparison to teams with comparable draft positions in the past decade or so, such as the Red Sox and the Cards. I've generally defended Cashman in the past in many ways because he's talked a good game about reinvesting in the minors, but,as this list attests to, his execution has been poor.
   17. ??'s Biggest Fan! Posted: December 09, 2013 at 11:10 PM (#4614825)
Again, is that reasonable for 15 years

Yes. Unless I missed it, the team he was in charge of missed the playoffs twice. You can be angry about not developing the farm system now when the bill is due. But I don't recall Yankees fans worrying too much about draft picks when the team was tuning up for the playoffs at the trading deadline or patching up the roster during the offseason.
   18. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 09, 2013 at 11:19 PM (#4614828)
Yes. Unless I missed it, the team he was in charge of missed the playoffs twice.

With a payroll that dwarfed the rest of the league for most of the period.

You can be angry about not developing the farm system now when the bill is due. But I don't recall Yankees fans worrying too much about draft picks when the team was tuning up for the playoffs at the trading deadline or patching up the roster during the offseason.

Well, two things: 1) There was no spending limitation, and no "lost picks" on the international side. The Yankees could have built a good farm system on international players alone if they had dedicated the resources, and knew what they were doing. Why couldn't they spend $20M pa on int'l FAs? 2) The need to patch up the roster with FAs and trades has been driven by the inability of the farm system to produce talent. Even just 1-2 WAR filler talent.
   19. Pasta-diving Jeter (jmac66) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 01:34 AM (#4614868)
If Cashman is fired, the Yankees will be run just like the Mariners.

"we're number 6!!!"
   20. RollingWave Posted: December 10, 2013 at 03:00 AM (#4614883)
With Cashman and any Yankee GM it's always hard to separate what's him and whats the ownership though, there's always been rumors of power struggles in the Yankee FO.

They did sing Robinson Cano in 2001, who as most of us agree look like a pretty likely hall of fame player , and Chien Ming Wang, who until his shoulder gave out looked like a pretty good picher. and of course, the immortal Melky Cabrera ;)

But yeah, the draft has been atrocious, it seems that for the most part they try to swing for the fences with most of their picks and end up missing on almost all of them.
   21. esseff Posted: December 10, 2013 at 05:02 AM (#4614887)
#1 - First thing I thought of when I saw Mason Williams on the list.
   22. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 09:09 AM (#4614902)
But yeah, the draft has been atrocious, it seems that for the most part they try to swing for the fences with most of their picks and end up missing on almost all of them.

I'm not sure if it's the drafting or the player development. They have a decent number of highly ranked prospects most years, it's just that they don't pan out.
   23. Non-Youkilidian Geometry Posted: December 10, 2013 at 09:14 AM (#4614904)
#1 has been underappreciated. Primey-worthy, IMO.
   24. Brian Posted: December 10, 2013 at 09:29 AM (#4614908)
Cashman has used his draft position as an excuse but other teams get more utility from picks in that same vicinity. Whether it's drafting or development something is terribly wrong here.

Also, it is interesting how many people defend Cashman here. I wonder if they are Yankee fans or not. I am and I don't see much to defend. The didn't work the International market or the Amateur draft well when their financial advantage mattered. The Cole pick was an example of a tough to sign player going well after his talent dictated. I assumed at the time that the Yankees had done their homework and knew they could buy him away from school. Instead, they wasted a pick and a year because they didn't know what they were doing.
   25. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 09:48 AM (#4614921)
I'm not sure if it's the drafting or the player development. They have a decent number of highly ranked prospects most years, it's just that they don't pan out.

They've been hit pretty hard by injuries, and I'm not quite sure that this isn't an unfortunate confluence of random events. They've had some every well-regarded talent, pitchers especially, completely flame out in this manner; Yankee followers might remember Humberto Sanchez, Christian Garcia, Alan Horne, Jairo Heredia, or Tim Norton from days of yore, or Dellin Betances, Manny Banuelos, or Jose Rameirez more recently. If it's an institutional thing then of course it should be addressed, but I don't know that it is. Gil Patterson is currently working with the minor league pitchers in the Yankee system and he's certainly well-regarded in that role for what he accomplished in Oakland, maybe some of his guidance will pay off down the road.
   26. jacksone (AKA It's OK...) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 09:51 AM (#4614924)

You mean Jesus Montero isn't, at worst, Carlos Delgado anymore?
   27. villageidiom Posted: December 10, 2013 at 09:53 AM (#4614926)
Keep in mind that I'm a Yanks fan when I write this, but the Yanks' draft history pales in comparison to teams with comparable draft positions in the past decade or so, such as the Red Sox and the Cards.
Since Cashman took over the draft for the Yankees in 2005, here's what Boston has done:

2005 - Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Buchholz, Jed Lowrie
2006 - Daniel Bard, Justin Masterson, Josh Reddick
2007 - Will Middlebrooks, Anthony Rizzo
2008 - Junichi Tazawa ("amateur" free agent)
2009 - Xander Bogaerts, Jose Iglesias (both as amateur free agents)
2010 - Brandon Workman
2011 - Jackie Bradley Jr.

There's more, but I'm leaving out players whose MLB success was too limited despite ample opportunity (Craig Hansen) and a whole lot of prospects who haven't proven themselves in MLB yet (Kelly, Ranaudo, Cecchini, Swihart, etc.).

A lot of Boston's success has simply been through (a) the draft pick compensation game and (b) amateur free agents. The Yankees have generally not been playing the former game, or they've been playing it poorly. The Red Sox?

- They had 3 months of Orlando Cabrera, and got the Ellsbury and Lowrie compensation picks in return when the Angels signed him.

- They got Clay Buchholz for Pedro Martinez signing with the Mets.

- They got a few good years out of Daniel Bard, in return for the Yankees signing Johnny Damon.

- They got Workman and Ranaudo in return for the Mets signing Jason Bay.

- They got Bradley and Swihart when the Rangers signed Adrian Beltre.

The Red Sox also had a period where they snapped up three very good amateur free agents.

In all honesty, Boston was also using financial muscle in the above. Many of their picks were considered at higher slots on ability, but teams passed on them due to signability. Granted, this should not have been an issue for the Yankees, but it's worth keeping in mind when comparing Boston's draft record vs. other teams.
   28. Fancy Pants Handle doesn't need no water Posted: December 10, 2013 at 02:39 PM (#4615237)
They've had some every well-regarded talent, pitchers especially, completely flame out in this manner; Yankee followers might remember Humberto Sanchez, Christian Garcia, Alan Horne, Jairo Heredia, or Tim Norton from days of yore, or Dellin Betances, Manny Banuelos, or Jose Rameirez more recently.

Perhaps it's just a random confluence of events, that has led an entire stable* full of talent, to fail to live up to the hype. Or perhaps it's evidence that the Yankee hype machine is causing them to systematically be overrated.

*insert ARod joke here
   29. You Know Nothing JT Snow (YR) Posted: December 10, 2013 at 03:18 PM (#4615285)
Perhaps it's just a random confluence of events, that has led an entire stable* full of talent, to fail to live up to the hype. Or perhaps it's evidence that the Yankee hype machine is causing them to systematically be overrated.

Well all of the above players were well-regarded prospects from third party sources, and of course they all suffered injury. It's the injurious aspect I'm focusing on here, you can't hype someone out of a blown elbow. You can evaluate their statistical efforts on your own and at the very least see where the injuries appear to have sapped their effectiveness.
   30. KT's Pot Arb Posted: December 11, 2013 at 03:42 AM (#4615735)

He was drafting 10 y.o.'s in 1998

That's pretty lousy production for being GM for 15 years. He didn't sign Cole or Fister, so in what world does that count?

We were talking about the drafts since he took over primary draft responsibility in 2005. While not world beating, certainly better production than their 1998-2004 drafts.

31. Publius Publicola Posted: December 11, 2013 at 09:01 AM (#4615760)
No real idea why Cashman still has a job.

He's very good at being obsequious.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
robinred
for his generous support.