Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Baseball Think Factory Quizbowl Questions

BBTF is now a worthy topic for pop culture quizbowl. The entire tournament is here.

18. Answer the following related to various running jokes at the Baseball ThinkFactory website, for 10 points each:
[10] One recurring poster uses this name of the protagonist from Ring Lardner’s You Know Me Al. The poster imitates this character’s semi-literate style to comment on the baseball issues of the day.
[10] A hilarious running joke involved the phrase, “Sure, I’d listen if [blank] called,” a reference to an interview involving this former manager saying he would listen if for no apparent reason, the Red Sox contacted him. This recent Hall of Fame inductee won the 1982 World Series with St. Louis.
[10] Posters frequently mock Joe Morgan for suggesting that this man, not Michael Lewis, wrote the book Moneyball. This man is noted for his sabermetric friendly policies during his time as GM of the Oakland Athletics.

The link should call up a Word file. Look for Bonus #18 or search for the words in the excerpt. You’ll find the answers there.

OsunaSakata Posted: October 18, 2011 at 04:17 PM | 274 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: athletics, baseball geeks, cardinals, community, red sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 
   101. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM (#3967715)
I have not seen "objective pipe" since the original thread.

It is in a lead in today.
   102. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM (#3967719)
On the brighter side, the mere mention of Pancake Flops brings me joy
   103. robinred Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:41 AM (#3967725)
You're the biggest idiot ever if you don't think "objective pipe" is the sixth-best Primer meme, although I never saw DiPerna use it because it's a trap and so's your mom.
   104. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:54 AM (#3967729)
Why thank you, kind sir. I am the biggest idiot on ever.
   105. 'Spos Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:57 AM (#3967731)
Count me in as pro-Keefe.
   106. Srul Itza Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:58 AM (#3967732)
It takes too much effort to read them.

That seems to be a statement about your own inadequacies and not those of the post.

What payout there is isn't worth the trouble.

An opinion, and like most of yours, wrong and wrong-headed.

And it got old somewhere around the second Keefe post.

It never gets old. Your schtick, on the other hand . . .
   107. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:09 AM (#3967738)
I didn't know you had a beef with Ray, Srul. However it seems, I should be asking "who does like Ray?"
   108. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:17 AM (#3967742)
I like Ray. Or, I don't actively dislike him. Or, I don't actively dislike him more than I do any other Red Sox fan.
   109. Srul Itza Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:18 AM (#3967744)
The absence of any tina reference in his quiz was truly a stunner.

But check post 38.
   110. Repoz Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:20 AM (#3967746)
Count me in as pro-Ray.
   111. Srul Itza Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:24 AM (#3967748)
Oh my god, I read this line and I can barely breathe, I am laughing so hard.

The one that got to me was:

Think of the funniest looking thing you can think of in a baseball Uni. John Lacky right. Well did his team win Al I ask you
   112. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:28 AM (#3967751)
I don't agree with his anti-Ichiro stance, but I am happy to see Jim Rice in the Hall so I am the last person to throw stones here.
   113. Srul Itza Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:29 AM (#3967753)
I didn't know you had a beef with Ray, Srul.

It's not a beef. I have nothing personal against him. But he's turning into the second coming of RossCW.
   114. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:43 AM (#3967762)
Oh, no. Will we soon see threads on how many wins Vince Coleman's baserunning added?
   115. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:50 AM (#3967764)
At least Ray is consistent with his opinions. You can reasonably predict what he is going to say about any particular topic. Some might find that cold and inhuman, but it bothers me less than people who are wildly inconsistent and can't see it.
   116. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:53 AM (#3967766)
Some might find that cold and inhuman, but it bothers me less than people who are wildly inconsistent and can't see it.

See, I'd rather read a guy like Allen Barra who vacillates between rational analysis and outright fanboyism.
   117. Shredder Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:33 AM (#3967780)
Dayn Perry is as funny as Guapo and Gonfalon, BTW.
I can only assume you're referring to his appearance.

I mostly ignore Ray, though five or six years ago when I was more active here he probably would have really pissed me off. Even so, I don't think it's fair to compare anyone to RossCW. We've had some pretty big dicks post here over the years, probably myself included. But no one was as intellectually disingenuous and infuriating as Ross.
   118. BourbonSamurai Is a Lazy Nogoodnik Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:47 AM (#3967785)
I am looking forward to the BTF Keefe Holy Wars. (I, of course, am Pro-Keefe, as all right thinking people are)
   119. fra paolo Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:52 AM (#3967787)
RossCW posts are thin on the ground in the archive, so the post-registration crowd can only learn of him by reputation.
   120. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:58 AM (#3967790)
I suppose it's theoretically possible not to find Keefe the best thing about BTF, but only theoretically. You have to be absolutely brain dead not to appreciate his style of humor.
   121. tshipman Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:58 AM (#3967791)
But no one was as intellectually disingenuous and infuriating as Ross.

when I was more active here

I see you've missed Sugar Bear Blanks' performance in the 9/11 Mosque thread.
   122. Avoid running at all times.-S. Paige Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:02 AM (#3967794)
Team Keefe
   123. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:08 AM (#3967796)

when I was more active here

My main impression of RossCW was that he just wasn't all there. More like an oblivious or unconscious troll than anything else, even though his sheer repetitiveness could be irritating as hell after the first 5 or 10 posts.
   124. McCoy Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:14 AM (#3967798)
Team Anti-Keefe

Most of the attempts at humor are pretty crappy and the puns are not really funny. The medellin kids one was pretty clever though.
   125. Rafael Bellylard: A failure of the waist. Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:22 AM (#3967802)
When I read jackkeefe's posts, the voice in my head is Frank Fontaine going a Crazy Guggenheim sketch.
   126. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:32 AM (#3967807)
RossCW posts are thin on the ground in the archive, so the post-registration crowd can only learn of him by reputation.

SBB does a pale imitation, but crank him up to 11 and you get the jist.

My main impression of RossCW was that he just wasn't all there. More like an oblivious or unconscious troll than anything else, even though his sheer repetitiveness could be irritating as hell after the first 5 or 10 posts.

He was the living embodiment of Stone Deaf
   127. The importance of being Ernest Riles Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:12 AM (#3967831)
these questions are horrible. they take the most obscure detail from the actual question, go on for 3 more sentences, then ask you a really simple question.

Quizbowl questions are intentionally structured that way, with the final, easy clue referred to as the "Touch Your Butt" clue.

At least that's what I remember from playing hear from people who played Quizbowl in college.

I loved Trash (pop culture, similar to the questions linked above) rounds, that was the only time I had a competitive advantage over the other Quizbowlers. Especially when the category was bad '90s alternative music. I remember owning a room full of seniors on a series of Gin Blossoms questions.
   128. Mess with the Meat, you get the Wad! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:34 AM (#3967838)
Btf trivia and no mention of me? Thats no good
Also pro keefe
   129. puck Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:02 AM (#3967849)
Jack Keefe is fantastic. I am very surprised to read that there are posters who don't find him funny.

I think it's funny that there are posters who don't know what he's based on. What kind of weird schtick would that be.
   130. Shredder Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:08 AM (#3967856)
Team Keefe.

With Ross, you could write nine sentences that would completely destroy his argument, and a tenth that was a dumb throwaway line with no relevance in which you may have said something that wasn't technically correct. He would then turn the entire conversation to focus on that tenth sentence, trying to argue that your small, irrelevant, technically inaccurate statement meant that your entire argument was wrong. He was truly a dick. Unfortunately, RossyW would occasionally get caught in the crossfire.
   131. PreservedFish Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:12 AM (#3967857)
Unfortunately, RossyW would occasionally get caught in the crossfire.

That's me. I did change my name in part because of RossCW confusion. Also, because "PreservedFish" is terrific.

(Team Keefe)
   132. PreservedFish Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:13 AM (#3967858)
Unfortunately, RossyW would occasionally get caught in the crossfire.

That's me. I did change my name in part because of RossCW confusion. Also, because "PreservedFish" is terrific.

(Team Keefe)
   133. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:43 AM (#3967861)
With Ross, you could write nine sentences that would completely destroy his argument, and a tenth that was a dumb throwaway line with no relevance in which you may have said something that wasn't technically correct. He would then turn the entire conversation to focus on that tenth sentence, trying to argue that your small, irrelevant, technically inaccurate statement meant that your entire argument was wrong.

This is actually a fairly common tactic among many sub-cultures; evolution deniers, holocaust deniers, anti-vaxxers, etc. I come across that sort of thing all the time.
   134. cardsfanboy Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:49 AM (#3967864)
Is the Jack Keefe joke the most unfunny joke in the history of this site?

wow... I have always supported Ray on most of his crusades, even if I didn't agree with them 100%, but this quote is evidence number one he doesn't like anything in life. This blows away the comment about not liking energetic fans that he posted elsewhere...Ray, are you really this miserable of a human being???

I agree with you a lot(not on politics, because seriously I have a brain, and I don't want to vote against my best interest....anyone who votes repubs and makes less than 200k a year is voting against their best interest, if they know that, more power to them, but unfortunately these idiots eat the joe the plumber water and aren't that bright) I mean, I agree on the Ichiro thing to a degree, I agree on the post season a lot(except I still enjoy it regardless) but how can you not like Jack ,sure he fails sometimes, but yes he's funny.
   135. cardsfanboy Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:02 AM (#3967870)
I think Gonaflon Bubble is the most consistently funny poster, personally.

I was thinking Joey B was the funniest poster on here... I mean every single thing out him is a ####### joke of monumental proportions. I keep waiting for Obama to knight him, and have Keith Olberman open up his roast. There are only a few posters who are so monumentally retarded that I enjoy their post, Joey is their king.
   136. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:04 AM (#3967871)
ok
   137. cardsfanboy Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:09 AM (#3967874)
Jack Keefe is fantastic. I am very surprised to read that there are posters who don't find him funny. Well, not Ray.

exactly, I mean we are talking actual funny hear, not some supposed funny like an Andy Kaufmann skit that nobody with an independent will thought was funny(those people that thought Kaufmann was funny, are the same people that buy apple computers, and hang out in starbugs writing books to make sure people see them writing...and of course they all have goatees. )
   138. cardsfanboy Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:14 AM (#3967876)
I didn't know you had a beef with Ray, Srul. However it seems, I should be asking "who does like Ray?"

I absolutely like Ray. I don't agree with him, neither do I agree with Andy, or a crap ton of other people 100%...but if they make the discussions better by not being the same, then how could you not like them?

People need to separate their opinions from their taste in a person. I find Ray to be a nice reminder that even something as simple as Ichiro(hit machine, defense great, healthy sob) can still produce different informed opinions on his value.

What is wrong with different opinions....?
   139. PreservedFish Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:17 AM (#3967878)
(those people that thought Kaufmann was funny, are the same people that buy apple computers, and hang out in starbugs writing books to make sure people see them writing...and of course they all have goatees. )

Goatees left the hipster scene more than a decade ago. They moved to the suburban dad scene. (Will handlebar mustaches follow?)
   140. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:29 AM (#3967881)

What is wrong with different opinions....?

Opinions like "Jake Keefe often isn't funny?"
   141. Rickey! In a van on 95 south... Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:30 AM (#3967882)
Hating Ray is like hating the little autistic kid that keeps counting the cracks in the pavement.
   142. Ron J Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:14 AM (#3967905)
Put me down for Keefe, hit and miss. Often skipped when I'm not in the mood.
   143. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: October 19, 2011 at 09:10 AM (#3967907)
My school didn't start its quiz bowl team until my last semester. I was only ever good for the one trash bonus and one trash toss-up per round.
   144. Dr. Vaux Posted: October 19, 2011 at 09:38 AM (#3967909)
I like Ray.
   145. Walt Davis Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM (#3967911)
Opinions like "Jake Keefe often isn't funny?"

Ya got different and then you got just plain stupid.
   146. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:41 AM (#3967913)
So, to all the people who don't think Keefe is funny...

What do you find funny?
   147. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM (#3967927)
As a public service to anyone who doesn't know what "our" Jack Keefe's riffs are based on, you should really acquaint yourself with the original comic strip version of You Know Me, Al that was distributed to newspapers by the Bell syndicate beginning in 1922. The original stories ran in The Saturday Evening Post from 1914 through 1919. Here's Amazon's short review of those stories:

In his day, Ring Lardner was a legendary humorist (a job-description he disavowed), and You Know Me Al shows why everyone loved him so. In the letters of Jack Keefe, a bush-league pitcher who finally gets his chance in the majors, Lardner shows not only a faultless ear, but also a keen eye for the amusing details of human folly. Keefe is no comical bumbler--he has talent--but also possesses astonishing naïvete, and a lack of self-awareness that is unerringly hilarious. The busher blames everyone but himself for his failures (a trait that Lardner uses to wonderful comic effect in the story "Alibi Ike"**). Still, thanks to Keefe's mixture of hubris and puppy-dog trust, you want to see him come out all right.

Lardner--who played a role in breaking the infamous "Black Sox" scandal of 1919--wrote You Know Me Al while covering pro baseball in the teens; for baseball fans, the book is an intriguing glimpse into the past. Athletes haven't changed much, poor devils. They're just as funny as ever, only richer.

You can get the paperback comic strip version of You Know Me, Al for as little as four bucks, or the Amazon kindle version of the original stories for 99 cents. If anyone reads these gems and still doesn't think that "our" Jack Keefe is a comic genius, I can only recommend some form of shock therapy to snap him out of his state of complete zombiehood.

Of course one can still "like" zombies, and our resident humor-challenged versions are harmless, but it's hard not to wonder sometimes exactly what animates them.

**which was also made into a pretty damn good Joe E. Brown movie in the 1930's, frequently shown on TCM
   148. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:45 PM (#3967948)

You can get the paperback comic strip version of You Know Me, Al for as little as four bucks, or the Amazon kindle version of the original stories for 99 cents.

Or, apparently, absolutely free.
   149. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 19, 2011 at 12:47 PM (#3967950)
I didn't get Jack Keefe for a long, long time, then it finally clicked for me. Kind of like SCTV was for me. I tried and tried and finally it clicked (I even remember which skit of SCTV turned me around).

I find Gonfalon the one poster who can get me to snort, spit coffee and just generally LOL.

I generally ignore threads that are heavy Ray. These tend to bring out the worst in others and it's too hard to sift out the good discussion points from the flames. I find Ray's Ichiro! arguments worthy though, even if I want to give him some Japan credit. I remain decidedly on the fence. In the Hall of Entertaining Players Ichiro! is a first balloter.
   150. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:03 PM (#3967956)
Gaelan's post crack me up the most. (Sorry G!) The aghast replies to Gaelan's posts are nearly as entertaining, too. I also enjoy checking a thread that's say, 500 posts long to see that Nieporent, Andy and Ray are having the same private argument they have in every thread. It makes me feel safe and that the world makes sense despite all evidence to the contrary.
   151. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:08 PM (#3967960)
Yeah, Gaelan has really grown on me. He always has a surprise and backs up his points with some pretty sound arguments; very Roman Catholic like (that's meant as a compliment).
   152. Gonfalon B. Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:08 PM (#3967961)
Zowie! Everyone's so lovely. I need to delete all of the bookmarks on my computer and replace each of them with this thread.

If only to restore fair balance, Gonfalon Bubble is an unfunny piece of crap.
   153. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:15 PM (#3967965)
If only to restore fair balance, Gonfalon Bubble is an unfunny piece of crap.

I know, right?
   154. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:33 PM (#3967975)
I also enjoy checking a thread that's say, 500 posts long to see that Nieporent, Andy and Ray are having the same private argument they have in every thread.

We enjoy it even more when we meet every month to divvy up the royalties we get from Repoz. You suckers never learn.
   155. Cabbage Posted: October 19, 2011 at 01:57 PM (#3967986)
Just a bunch of masturbatory backslapping going on in here

(I am the very model of a Jack Keefe Army General)
   156. The Good Face Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:00 PM (#3967991)
I like Ray and I like Keefe posts. "Adam Done" was absolute humor perfection.
   157. fra paolo Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:01 PM (#3967993)
Goatees left the hipster scene more than a decade ago.

Ahh, now I get the evil Troy and evil Abed joke. They are doubling-down on their lack of hip.

I'm not going to moan about active posters. Instead I'm going to put in a good word for Joey B.: most times, as long as you don't call him names, he just states his case and moves on.

I mean, poke a hornet's nest with a stick if you like, but don't complain if you get stung.
   158. fra paolo Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:07 PM (#3967999)
I suppose I'm Team Keefe. His hits are hitness exemplified. But I find this all a bit dialectical or maybe something out of Shakespeare.
   159. just plain joe Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:08 PM (#3968000)
We enjoy it even more when we meet every month to divvy up the royalties we get from Repoz. You suckers never learn.

Now I have a mental image of Andy, David and Ray getting together to spend their Repoz bucks; it boggles the mind. Of course one can only use Repoz bucks to purchase items from the Repoz catelogue, which consists mainly of obscure 45 rpm records. Good times all around.
   160. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:16 PM (#3968010)
Now I have a mental image of Andy, David and Ray getting together to spend their Repoz bucks; it boggles the mind. Of course one can only use Repoz bucks to purchase items from the Repoz catelogue, which consists mainly of obscure 45 rpm records. Good times all around.

Life's really been a bowl of cherries after I sold Repoz my original copy of The Jive Bombers' Bad Boy for a sweet 500 bucks. I've got the poor boy blowing bubbles out of his hot blazing nose.
   161. DL from MN Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:26 PM (#3968018)
When did the "____ is the new market inefficiency" meme start?
   162. BDC Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:26 PM (#3968019)
I got excited about bitcoins when I read about them in the New Yorker, but Repoz Bucks are going to take over the world soon.

I find most of the jokes around here funny: I like #6 Org and Option J and "never heard his broadcast" and even the CHASS HEADLINES, MR PRESIDENT. (I like Keefe, too.) But I also liked Piazza and the Admiral. The only thing that I found unfunny on Primer was Yun Taragaoshi.

I will admit that I am a Three Stooges fan and my favorite movie is Airplane!
   163. fra paolo Posted: October 19, 2011 at 02:32 PM (#3968028)
The only thing that I found unfunny on Primer was Yun Taragaoshi.

...and Mike Crudale.
   164. SouthSideRyan Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:05 PM (#3968075)
So, to all the people who don't think Keefe is funny...

What do you find funny?

Community, Parks and Rec 1A and 1B

Modern Family, It's always Sunny, and Archer on the next tier.

To all you people who think Keefe is funny...

WTF am I missing? "Adam Done" and "AJ Pierogi" is the height of comedy now?? Even if you found it funny the first couple times (which I can understand) how can the same played out jokes and bad puns still leave you laughing? The most I could see is a "oh, that's clever." The Keefe love confuses the hell out of me.
   165. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:11 PM (#3968078)
Some BTF humor historians you are, nitwits.
   166. Greg K Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:12 PM (#3968079)
WTF am I missing? "Adam Done" and "AJ Pierogi" is the height of comedy now?? Even if you found it funny the first couple times (which I can understand) how can the same played out jokes and bad puns still leave you laughing? The Keefe love confuses the hell out of me.

Bad puns are the bedrock of any comedic undertaking.

Though I am on the same page elsewhere
Jack Keefe is one of my favourite things about BTF and It's Always Sunny is one of my favourite things about TV (maybe about life)
   167. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:13 PM (#3968080)
WTF am I missing?

A sense of humor?

(I don't have TV, so whether your tastes in sitcom crap [but I repeat myself there, I suppose] indicate otherwise, I have no way of knowing.)
   168. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:23 PM (#3968090)
Bad puns are the bedrock of any comedic undertaking.

No, bad puns are the bedrock of Washington Post headlines: "In Short, Ripken a Hit at Third"; "Redskins Defense Is Positively Offensive", and crap like that, repeated for years at a time like Chinese water torture. Keefe is a mixture of good puns, current baseball allusions, a perfect ear for Ring Lardner's vernacular, a bit of confused sexual and racial commentary, and a lightheartedness that keeps it going for post after post.
   169. Juilin Sandar to Conkling Speedwell (Arjun) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 03:23 PM (#3968091)
I find Gonfalon the one poster who can get me to snort, spit coffee and just generally LOL.

This.
   170. Weekly Journalist_ Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:12 PM (#3968185)
Behold!
   171. Esoteric Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:46 PM (#3968239)
How quickly Primer seems to have forgotten the terror that was Kevin...
   172. JJ1986 Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:49 PM (#3968241)
Who was the Ron Guidry guy from a few years ago? He was horribly intellectually dishonest.
   173. Esoteric Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:51 PM (#3968245)
BTW, count me as one of the anti-Keefians. Never read any Lardner, so maybe I'm missing something, but taken on his own it's a near-autoskip for me every time he posts. I read the one in this thread and thought the same thing to myself: too much effort put into scanning the damn thing for almost no comedic payoff. Oh wow look: a cod-literary portrayal of a bumpkin -- but this time with baseball references and bad puns!

And don't tell me I lack a sense of humor, or sophistication and taste: I happen to be a connoisseur of the Three Stooges, and my Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD collection is nearly complete.
   174. SoSH U at work Posted: October 19, 2011 at 04:55 PM (#3968251)
Who was the Ron Guidry guy from a few years ago? He was horribly intellectually dishonest.

That's Tommy in CT. He still pops up now and then.

And Kevin wasn't comparable to Ross, IMO.
   175. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:03 PM (#3968264)
What do you find funny?

In addition to Parks and Rec which was already mentioned, and Gonfalon Bubble whom I was the first to mention? Shooty is funny a lot of the time too, as are a lot of guys. Gaelan cracks me up because I picture him as playing a parody of his 2005 self. Burley's response in the James Pidutti thread makes me laugh every time.

I'm not saying Keefe is never funny...I have taken the time to read them before and snickered a bit. But yeah, "AJ Perogi?" Ok...Do you guys find Chris Berman funny? Just curious...
   176. Esoteric Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:10 PM (#3968277)
Seriously though, if I had to name one single thing that was/is my comedic north star, it would be Mystery Science Theater 3000. Particularly the quirky, esoteric Joel years. That one show shaped my sense of humor (and my omnivorous pop-culture knowledge) more than anything else in my life.
   177. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:18 PM (#3968290)
Shooty is funny a lot of the time too, as are a lot of guys.

Thanks! Shooty! Shooty! Shooty! Shooty!

Seriously though, if I had to name one single thing that was/is my comedic north star, it would be Mystery Science Theater 3000. Particularly the quirky, esoteric Joel years. That one show shaped my sense of humor (and my omnivorous pop-culture knowledge) more than anything else in my life.

Hmmm. I wonder how I would answer this. When I was small, I would say Looney Tunes, the Muppet Show and old Popeye cartoons hit my comedy sweet spot. As I got a little older I'd say slob vs snobs comedies and a few shows like WKRP did it for me. Nowadays I like the less manic comedies--Archer, The Life and Times of Tim, Flight of the Conchords, stuff like that. And Louis CK. I've always liked stand up, too, even when I was too young to get the jokes, if that makes sense. I used to watch the Rodney Dangerfield young comics specials religiously.
   178. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:19 PM (#3968291)
BTW, count me as one of the anti-Keefians. Never read any Lardner, so maybe I'm missing something, but taken on his own it's a near-autoskip for me every time he posts.

But that's like saying you can't see the humor in SNL's presidential debate parodies because you don't even know or care who was running for president. An appreciation of parody humor depends on a prior knowledge of the person or situation being parodied, and all you're saying is that you don't want to bother acquainting yourself with the original. Which is fine, but that's on you, not on Keefe.
   179. SouthSideRyan Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:19 PM (#3968292)
Well yeah, MST3K goes without saying.
   180. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:22 PM (#3968300)
Lots of comedy touchstones for me, of course, very much including essayists I read as a kid, like Thurber, Leacock, Perelman & Benchley (&, in a change of pace, Russell Baker, whose collection Poor Russell's Almanac I must've read at least 10 times circa 5th grade), & later on Woody Allen ... but I seriously doubt that anything even approaches Mad as a shaping influence on me, up through about 1971.

I liked Joel-era MST3K quite a bit, too, but by the time I came across it on cable I was approaching my mid-30s. By then, the train was long out of the station, I suppose, & the show's sense of humor resonated with my own, rather than influenced it.

These days, I'm obviously ossified. I wouldn't know any of the current stuff Shooty (who's definitely one of my top choices as a reliably funny poster) cites in his last graf above from a hole in the ground, & for that matter I can't imagine giving a damn. So it goes.
   181. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:25 PM (#3968305)
Well yeah, MST3K goes without saying.

Louis CK too.
   182. Shredder Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:32 PM (#3968312)
Modern Family, It's always Sunny, and Archer on the next tier.
If you like Archer, you should try to find some downloads or something and check out Frisky Dingo. Same creator. I'm just starting to watch Archer, but Frisky Dingo is funnier IMO. Shorter episodes, no big name acting talent, but really, really clever. I think it's the best thing they've ever done on the Cartoon Network.
He's not forgotten, but he didn't argue like Ross. I always thought Kevin knew from time to time that his position might be ludicrous, and he still argued it for the fun of it. Ross, on the other hand, was cold, unemotional, which made him that much more infuriating.
   183. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:34 PM (#3968314)
Mad

Oh, the discovery of Mad. My folks were really strict, if not quite Nazarene :) I assumed that I wasn't allowed to watch the Three Stooges or read Mad, because generally anything off the beaten path was frowned upon. When I was 11, we visited my parents' friends in Canton, O. Mark, a year older than me, had years worth of Mads. Mark was a very dorky but funny guy (later police chief of Masillon, OH for decades -- we did NOT see that coming). Well, I was hooked -- I spent most of those few days pouring over them. Back home, I started buying new issues, generally sneaking them in underneath a Superman or Batman.
   184. Hysterical & Useless Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:34 PM (#3968315)
I almost never log in when I'm at work (though I start lurking every day when eating lunch), but I had to pop in to register my support for Jack Keefe. Jeebus, my wife isn't a baseball fan and she loves Jack Keefe. Also wanted to nominate Shooty as one of my favorite posters. And my god RossCW was awful to read (I try very hard not to form negative opinions of the people behind the postings, so I won't say that Ross the person was awful...).
   185. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:38 PM (#3968320)
Aw, thanks Gef. My trolling here for compliments is paying off!

Also, I failed to mention Space Ghost: Coast to Coast. I don't know if it influenced me, but I loved the absurdity of that show. The awkward pauses, the inane editing...all of it.
   186. Lassus Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:39 PM (#3968321)
Thanks! Shooty! Shooty! Shooty! Shooty!

Did your GF type this?
   187. SouthSideRyan Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:40 PM (#3968323)
Huh, I don't know why I assumed Frisky Dingo was anime. Looks like adultswim.com has episodes available online, I'll have to check them out.

And after visiting the site, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how great Children's Hospital is. I have a soft spot for Delocated as well, but could easily see that not working for everyone.
   188. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:44 PM (#3968333)
Did your GF type this?

Naw. If she had the exclamation points would be more realistically sized.
   189. fra paolo Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:44 PM (#3968335)

Kevin posts are in even shorter supply in the archives, and their absence renders portions of some threads unreadable. (I remember a HoM thread where the merits of fisk vs Munson are discussed, and it's like hearing an angry person shouting down the telephone at someone. You just don't have a good sense of what's causing the anger.)

Or, in Soviet Primer, the libertinarians purge you!
   190. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 05:58 PM (#3968353)
To the people who don't like Keefe and keep bringing up "AJ Perogi," well...that's not what's funny. That's just texture. Funny is the "Dane Cook" shot, or the remark about Lackey.

But humor is personal. I get that.

Early growing up, I suppose it'd be the Marx Brothers, M*A*S*H, Monty Python, Dave Allen, The Two Ronnies. Mostly because that's what my dad liked. Saw some old M*A*S*H episodes recently after not having seen the show for many years, and was surprised to see it holds up very well. #######, that was a funny show.

Love MST3K. But I found the show pretty consistently funny with both hosts.

Also:
Some BTF humor historians you are, nitwits.

I know that meme! One of the few I actually saw born. (I find gef to be a funny guy, overall.)
   191. Jim Kaat on a hot Gene Roof Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:00 PM (#3968359)
I had thought Hitler broke the mold after he and Dr. Mindbender dug up the graves of Ayn Rand, Genghis Khan, Leona Helmsley, Auguste Pinochet, and Avraham Stern, put all their DNA in a cloning vat, and created the monster known as David Nieporent. But apparently some monster matter was left and the result is Ray DiPerna: equally humorless, equally worshipful of bullies, equally glibertarian.

As for RossCW, I don't use the word "hero" very much but RossCW was the greatest hero in American history. If there was a way to check the logs, you'd see that Ross argued basically the same points Backlasher did, except the Legion of Doom here couldn't bully Backlasher* like it did Ross. Ross's career as poster here is also notable in that it shows how unfair certain moderators can be. Back in the days when it was possible to spoof other posters' handles, that sort of behavior resulted in an instant banhammer action for the IP involved EXCEPT when it was Ross being spoofed, then the behavior was not only tolerated, but encouraged.

* That is, until the crybabies whined enough that he got "moderated".
   192. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:15 PM (#3968373)
I missed the RossCW days which seem to be legendary. kevin was all right. He had a sense of humor and you just had to realize you would never in a million years get the last word in. If you just accept that with some posters, they are always going to get in the last jab, life becomes much more peaceful and relaxed.
   193. Shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:15 PM (#3968375)
Your persecution complex is so cute.
   194. Zoppity Zoop Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:20 PM (#3968378)

Kevin posts are in even shorter supply in the archives, and their absence renders portions of some threads unreadable.

Strange dichotomy as the inclusion of Kevin posts renders portions of some threads unreadable.
   195. Fancy Pants Handle doesn't need no water Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:29 PM (#3968383)
Are you kidding? That was the greatest performance by a single poster in a giant thread ever. Your posts were epic! I racked you!

You know in light of this thread, I decided to start en economics edition in the OWS thread. But Dan nuked it. You may direct your outrage towards him, for ruining something special ...
   196. Misirlou is on hiding to nowhere Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:30 PM (#3968384)
kevin was all right. He had a sense of humor and you just had to realize you would never in a million years get the last word in.

That's what Ross was like. He'd make ridiculous assertions that poster after poster would show to be incorrect, but he would soldier on with ridiculous twists of illogic until everyone simply gave up and he would claim victory. Then sometime in the future when a similar subject would come up, he'd chime in with "Well, we all agreed that I proved in the last thread..."
   197. BDC Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:31 PM (#3968385)
I never had a problem with Kevin – not that I have much of a problem with anybody. Kevin would get very strident and excited and offended, and fra paolo gets it exactly right, it was about not very much at all. You could tell him, "hey Kevin, this is Fred Lynn's fielding percentage we're arguing about, I'm not angry or hurt," and he would even acknowledge that. But if there was any potential for mutual ill-will, it could escalate pretty quickly and drastically.

I think the moral of the story is, if you want to post a lot of comments on the Internet, you should have a hide like a prehistoric rhinoceros. I mean, I type that and I just assume somebody's going to compare the rhinoceros to my mother :)
   198. Lassus Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:40 PM (#3968389)
As for RossCW, I don't use the word "hero" very much but RossCW was the greatest hero in American history. If there was a way to check the logs, you'd see that Ross argued basically the same points Backlasher did, except the Legion of Doom here couldn't bully Backlasher* like it did Ross.

I dunno. RossCW was before my time, but if 19 out of 20 people think you're an insufferable jerk, usually there's something to the indictment. Unless you're Antigone or Dr. Thomas Stockmann or something, and I'm not sure an internet baseball discussion board affords people the opportunity for that height.
   199. Shredder Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:48 PM (#3968394)
Back in the days when it was possible to spoof other posters' handles, that sort of behavior resulted in an instant banhammer action for the IP involved EXCEPT when it was Ross being spoofed, then the behavior was not only tolerated, but encouraged.
This really isn't true RETARDO. The only spoofing of Ross that I recall were very obvious spoofs. If I had posted something as RETARDO, for example, that wouldn't be cool. But the people spoofing Ross always posted as something like "RossCWXYZ" or some similar name that clearly was NOT Ross. That's kind of the whole point. It wasn't funny to post something completely off the wall as Ross. He did a good enough job of that on his own. The "spoofing" was done to make fun of him, in which case it was only funny if it was posted in the vein of Ross, but clearly not by Ross himself.

And I'm saying this as someone who has agreed at times with RETARDO, Backlasher, AND Nieporent, at least to the extent where I've tried not to take sides personally. But yeah, Ross was a dick.
   200. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:50 PM (#3968395)
The presence of kevin made any thread unreadable for me.

I had thought Hitler broke the mold after he and Dr. Mindbender dug up the graves of Ayn Rand, Genghis Khan, Leona Helmsley, Auguste Pinochet, and Avraham Stern, put all their DNA in a cloning vat, and created the monster known as David Nieporent. But apparently some monster matter was left and the result is Ray DiPerna: equally humorless, equally worshipful of bullies, equally glibertarian.

Am I evil if I found this funny?
Page 2 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3 > 

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
JE (Jason Epstein)
for his generous support.