Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Baseball Think Factory Quizbowl Questions

BBTF is now a worthy topic for pop culture quizbowl. The entire tournament is here.

18. Answer the following related to various running jokes at the Baseball ThinkFactory website, for 10 points each:
[10] One recurring poster uses this name of the protagonist from Ring Lardner’s You Know Me Al. The poster imitates this character’s semi-literate style to comment on the baseball issues of the day.
[10] A hilarious running joke involved the phrase, “Sure, I’d listen if [blank] called,” a reference to an interview involving this former manager saying he would listen if for no apparent reason, the Red Sox contacted him. This recent Hall of Fame inductee won the 1982 World Series with St. Louis.
[10] Posters frequently mock Joe Morgan for suggesting that this man, not Michael Lewis, wrote the book Moneyball. This man is noted for his sabermetric friendly policies during his time as GM of the Oakland Athletics.

The link should call up a Word file. Look for Bonus #18 or search for the words in the excerpt. You’ll find the answers there.

OsunaSakata Posted: October 18, 2011 at 04:17 PM | 274 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: athletics, baseball geeks, cardinals, community, red sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3
   201. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:55 PM (#3968398)
But the people spoofing Ross always posted as something like "RossCWXYZ" or some similar name that clearly was NOT Ross. That's kind of the whole point. It wasn't funny to post something completely off the wall as Ross. He did a good enough job of that on his own. The "spoofing" was done to make fun of him, in which case it was only funny if it was posted in the vein of Ross, but clearly not by Ross himself.

Back on the old Neyer board, there was a poster calling himself emanip8ed. He was somewhat arrogant in his tone, sort of like MGL Lite. He had an infrequent nemesis who would make spoof posts and called himself constip8ed. That still cracks me up.
   202. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 06:58 PM (#3968401)
Back on the old Neyer board, there was a poster calling himself emanip8ed. He was somewhat arrogant in his tone, sort of like MGL Lite. He had an infrequent nemesis who would make spoof posts and called himself constip8ed. The still cracks me up.

I'd laugh but my handle could be easily spoofed, too...
   203. Greg Franklin Posted: October 19, 2011 at 07:11 PM (#3968408)
Hadn't thought of RossCW in months, if not years. He apparently also had Neyer Board roots.

RossCW on Wiki Gonzales
   204. Hysterical & Useless Posted: October 19, 2011 at 07:35 PM (#3968423)
Backlasher was probably the only poster I would routinely skim over. His posts were frequently so long, and the grammar so often twisted out of shape (or just obscured by typos) that I couldn't muster the strength to wade through them. Plus the fact that the mere mention of Billy Beane (eg, discussion of Worst Outfielders EVAH, "Jeez, the Mets actually wasted a roster spot on Billy Beane for 3 weeks!") would set him off on a demonstration that BB was the worst GM in the history of GMing...
   205. Hysterical & Useless Posted: October 19, 2011 at 07:37 PM (#3968425)
Incidentally, if Shooty or anyone else organizes a NYC softball game next summer I'd love to be able to join in. Was sorry to miss the one this year. I'm sure you're all even more impressive in person than here on the interweb.
   206. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 19, 2011 at 07:41 PM (#3968429)
Incidentally, if Shooty or anyone else organizes a NYC softball game next summer I'd love to be able to join in. Was sorry to miss the one this year. I'm sure you're all even more impressive in person than here on the interweb.

I'm going to try. If anybody works for the City and can ease the permit process, that would be much appreciated!
   207. Ray (RDP) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 07:42 PM (#3968430)
An appreciation of parody humor depends on a prior knowledge of the person or situation being parodied, and all you're saying is that you don't want to bother acquainting yourself with the original. Which is fine, but that's on you, not on Keefe.

I've acquainted myself with the original. So, it's still on Keefe.
   208. Lassus Posted: October 19, 2011 at 07:53 PM (#3968444)
I'm going to try. If anybody works for the City and can ease the permit process, that would be much appreciated!

Lazy hippies wanting handouts from the government!
   209. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:01 PM (#3968456)
An appreciation of parody humor depends on a prior knowledge of the person or situation being parodied, and all you're saying is that you don't want to bother acquainting yourself with the original. Which is fine, but that's on you, not on Keefe.

I've acquainted myself with the original. So, it's still on Keefe.

If you've actually read Lardner for more than ten minutes (which I doubt) and still don't appreciate Keefe, I can only attribute it to some sort of flaw in your genes and / or your upbringing. There's no other possible logical explanation.
   210. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:05 PM (#3968459)
I can only attribute it to some sort of flaw in your genes and / or your upbringing.

I can't remember the thread, but a few weeks ago, I believe in response to some remark of Lisa's about people who grew up in the lap of luxury, Ray alluded to an upbringing that by implication would make Kasper Hauser weep in pity. So that's a distinct possibility, I'd say.
   211. Hysterical & Useless Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:07 PM (#3968463)
"Are ya lost, daddy?" I arsked tenderly. "Shut up," he explained.

The italicized speech tag is probably the summit of American comic writing.

Apologies in advance for any non-Lardner misspellings as I'm too rushed to Google.
   212. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:19 PM (#3968473)
Wow. I didn't know that "'Shut up,' he explained" originated with Lardner.
   213. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:20 PM (#3968475)
I can't remember the thread, but a few weeks ago, I believe in response to some remark of Lisa's about people who grew up in the lap of luxury, Ray alluded to an upbringing that by implication would make Kasper Hauser weep in pity. So that's a distinct possibility, I'd say.

Wasn't that the museum/"cultcher" thread?

Good times.
   214. BDC Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:21 PM (#3968476)
the summit of American comic writing

I'd vote for an Abrahams/Zuckers line from Police Squad!:

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."
   215. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:35 PM (#3968482)

Being raised in miserable conditions often makes or breaks a person's sense of humor. Some of the world's funniest people were raised in conditions that would make 99% of us want to turn on the gas, but then most of them get any sense of levity beaten out of them at a very young age, either physically or by underexposure to real wit or humor. As Bertolt Brecht might have put it, "First feed the face, and then tell right from wrong Keefe from Friends".
   216. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 08:57 PM (#3968497)
Wasn't that the museum/"cultcher" thread?

Actually, I wasn't even aware of that thread's existence till I searched for "cultcher" just now. The one I'm thinking of was probably around a month earlier, but again I'm damned if I have even the slightest memory of the context. *sigh*

Which reminds me -- bbc deserves funny-poster props as well.
   217. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: October 19, 2011 at 09:18 PM (#3968515)
I'd vote for an Abrahams/Zuckers line from Police Squad!:

"Who are you, and how did you get in here?"

"I'm a locksmith ... and I'm a locksmith."

I love that TV show so much. Sometimes when I mention Police Squad! to people (assuming they've heard of it at all), they think I mean the Naked Gun movies.

Police Squad TV Show:Naked Gun Movies::Alex Rodriguez '07:Alex Rodriguez '11
   218. Jim Kaat on a hot Gene Roof Posted: October 19, 2011 at 09:48 PM (#3968532)
But the people spoofing Ross always posted as something like "RossCWXYZ" or some similar name that clearly was NOT Ross.

Often but not always. However I do remember a time when someone supposedly spoofed Nieporent in a similar RossCWXYZ vein (the original Chomsky thread, I think), complaints were made, and Nieporent's fellow-gilbertarian, protecter-cum-moderator made damn sure everyone KNEW that was sooo sooo wrong, and that the spoofer's IP was banhammered forEVAR.

And no, the spoofer wasn't me cuz I'm still here and no amount of Rush quotes (which amuse Furtado) could have protected me from the glibertarian mafia, if it had been.

and the grammar so often twisted out of shape (or just obscured by typos)

Then you're mistaken or illiterate or both. My prose is full of bad grammar and spelling, often exacerbated by typos. Backlasher wrote simple, excellent English.
   219. villageidiom Posted: October 19, 2011 at 09:52 PM (#3968534)
I'd laugh but my handle could be easily spoofed, too...
Your handle could be easily spoofed?
   220. Ebessan Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM (#3968543)
I have no real awareness of Lardner, but I like the Keefe posts because I guess that I've read enough punchdrunk, bizarre, breathless internet posts that follow a rhythm similar to Keefe's that they just work for me, regardless to the original artistic inspiration. But I am kind of an idiot, so that's helpful.
   221. Babe Adams Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:22 PM (#3968551)
Dave Allen

"Teeth...will be provided!"

Keefe, yes.
   222. Jim Kaat on a hot Gene Roof Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:23 PM (#3968552)
Ross CW, a play in one act:

Repoz posts a thread about DIPS. Gist of TFA: "Amazing sabermetrician invents amazing stat, scouts and sportswriters cower and simper!"

Stathead Mob: "Wow, pitchers have no control over balls in play -- it's so counterintuitive it's genius! It must be totally true with no caveats whatsoever!"

RossCW: WTF they have no control? Dan Quisenberry induced ground balls, Denny Neagle was a fly ball pitcher; this is stupid!"

Stathead Mob: "EFF YOU TROLL!!! They have NO CONTROL except for home runs! ZERO!! Don't you understand -- lookit the math! BLARG! BLARG!!! It's counterintuitive therefore irresistibly clever! Why don't you go blow a scout, you mathematically-illiterate #####!!!"

"RossCWXYZ": "Duh duh, mee to stupids for MAFF! Duh!!"

Stathead Mob: "Bwahahahah yeah, Ross!"

RossCW: DIPS is overstated. You people are always so smug and certain and self-righteous.

Stathead Mob: "SHUT UP TROLL, VOROS WORKS for the RED SOX!!! Who do you work for, huh? Putz! Besides, MATHS!"

"RossCWXYZ": "Duh, duh, I'm Ross and I'm stooopid! I eat poop! Duh!"

Stathead Mob: "zOMG lookit Ross finally tell the truth! BWAHAHahaha it's too funny forever hahahaha!"

[Months and months and months go by, with Backlasher and a few other hammering away]

Stathead Mob: "Ok, DIPS may have been slightly overstated but only at first and we were still right and all doubters were wrong."

[More months go by]

Stathead Mob: "We always admitted DIPS was overstated at first, and said so at the time."

Backlasher: "Uh, no."

RETARDO: You jackasses owe RossCW an apology.

Stathead Mob: "RossCW?!?! Blarg blarg!!! That guy sucked!"

THE END
   223. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:28 PM (#3968553)
ENCORE!!
   224. Greg K Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:32 PM (#3968555)
#222 could be a play on how knowledge is generated in almost every field, with the pendulum swinging between innovation and conservatism until some kind of revisionist balance is struck. Though one would hope you could do it without the childish recriminations.
   225. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM (#3968557)
But childish recriminations are fun and funny. You must also be anti-Keefe. Let me check the thread.
   226. Greg K Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:35 PM (#3968558)
Not true! I would do terrible things to innocent children in support of the Keefe army.

But I'd never be mean to someone in an online forum.
   227. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:39 PM (#3968561)
Ok, I withdraw my accusation, and want to subscribe to your newsletter?
   228. shock Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM (#3968563)
Do you realize that DIPS was published over 10 years ago now? Move. On.
   229. mos def panel Posted: October 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM (#3968569)
mos def panel is most definitely a member of the keefe army
   230. Joe Bivens, Minor Genius Posted: October 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM (#3968572)
I think the Keefe Army should attack the anti-keefers. Let's meet at the armory and plot.
   231. Guapo Posted: October 19, 2011 at 11:14 PM (#3968573)
It looks like Tango compiled some old classic Primer threads featuring RossCW here.

My perception of RossCW was that he was awful at the Neyer Board, then actually made some decent contributions at Primer, but his reputation was so shot at that point he often got shouted down. He had a maddening inability to ever admit error that didn't help his cause.

For the record, I am strongly pro-Keefe. Even when the posts are not laugh-out-loud funny, they are consistently clever. That's always appreciated.
   232. They paved Misirlou, put up a parking lot Posted: October 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM (#3968574)
Ross CW, a play in one act:

or, alternatively:

Ross: You guys are so stupid. I crunched the numbers and my results show something completely different.

The Mob: Oh really, what did you do?

Ross: I multiplied A X B and subtracted C. It's so simple.

The mob: well, it's really not that simple. You forgot to account for factors A, B, C, D, E, and F

Ross: None of those factors can explain the entire discrepancy between my results and the published conclusion.

The Mob: Well, of course none of them account for everything, but taken together, they account for most if not all

Ross: So, like I said, none of the factors are meaningful and my hypothesis is correct

The Slightly smaller Mob, as some have given up: No, that's not what we said. Factor A is important and accounts for 20% of the discrepancy. As does factor B. factors C and D are also important, though smaller. factors E and F can probably be ignored, as it's not worth taking the time to calculate, but still work against you hypothesis.

Ross: OK, since your factors are not important and are impossible to calculate anyway, it can safely be said that you agree with me.

Even smaller Mob: No you dolt, TOGETHER, they add up to a significant amount, and you're not accounting for any of them.

Ross: Really, you want to hang you hat on factor F? Why that only happens once ever 10 games or so. It can't possibly explain away the discrepancy.

Lone remaining dissenter: Yes, but there are 162 games a year, so it happens 16-20 times a year. Not hugely significant , but still real and meaningful.

Ross: Ok, so 5% of the time you are correct, and 95% of the time I am. So it's safe to say my theory explains 95% of the discrepancy, which is usually rounded up to 100%. Glad we can all agree.

*crickets*

Ross: Glad we cleared that up.

Unsuspecting new poster: Wait a minute, you haven't accounted for factors a through F.

Ross: Well, none of them can account for the entire difference.....
   233. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 19, 2011 at 11:31 PM (#3968581)
"Dayn Perry is as funny as Guapo and Gonfalon, BTW."
I can only assume you're referring to his appearance.

I'm guessing that this is a good natured jab Shredder. IIRC, you guys are buds. Actually, Dayn's funniest work is at NotGraphs where he inserts Dick Allen's name into works of literature.

I'm not a huge Marcel Duchamp fan, but when I am in a Dada mood, I reach for that site.
   234. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM (#3968616)
I love that TV show so much. Sometimes when I mention Police Squad! to people (assuming they've heard of it at all), they think I mean the Naked Gun movies.

Police Squad TV Show:Naked Gun Movies::Alex Rodriguez '07:Alex Rodriguez '11

Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln!
   235. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM (#3968692)
Then you're mistaken or illiterate or both. My prose is full of bad grammar and spelling, often exacerbated by typos. Backlasher wrote simple, excellent English.

I argued with Backlasher as much as anyone did, but I also liked him about as much as any other poster here. However, his writing was often just plain sloppy and occasionally, though not usually, it was difficult to comprehend as a result. It's also a bit frustrating to debate with someone who can't take the time to correct their spelling/grammar mistakes as they're typing--I first took it as a sign of disrespect before I got to know him better.

Every negative thing said about RossCW here is true. In retrospect, he was right about a few things, but wrong about so many others. Most importantly, he simply had no interest in what you had to say, so there was no point in arguing with him.

Whatever happened to Dan Werr, by the way? He was one of my favorite posters.
   236. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:08 AM (#3968728)
Tawny in Cleveland with her little battery-powered friend was some of Keefe's best work and it's only a month or two old.

Random Top 3, no order:

Tawny in Cleveland
Jeter moaning "E-2, Jorge?"
The Who's the Sampler/Who's the Sampled? cross-cuts between romantic poets Emily Dickinson and Luther Campbell.
   237. Smitty* Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:13 AM (#3968733)
Don't you hate pants?
   238. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:15 AM (#3968737)
Whatever happened to Dan Werr, by the way? He was one of my favorite posters.

He still Lounges. I think he stopped writing Diggin' In The Astrodirt once he got a job and found the Mainland to be too argumentative or something. I dunno, ask him.
   239. Bernal Diaz has an angel on his shoulder Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:17 AM (#3968742)
Skimmed the thread, didn't see my name. You guys suck.
   240. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:20 AM (#3968753)
Don't you hate pants?

DISCRIMINATION!
   241. Eric J can SABER all he wants to Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:39 AM (#3968801)
If you've actually read Lardner for more than ten minutes (which I doubt) and still don't appreciate Keefe, I can only attribute it to some sort of flaw in your genes and / or your upbringing. There's no other possible logical explanation.

He's overly devoted to the legacies of his boyhood idol posters.
   242. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 20, 2011 at 11:41 AM (#3969126)
One other favorite joke for me was when people would type (Forgetting) for #######. I think that came from a bowlderized Miggy Cabrera quote in a newspaper.
   243. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 20, 2011 at 01:42 PM (#3969195)
I think the Keefe Army should attack the anti-keefers. Let's meet at the armory and plot.

Will refreshments be served?

Almost as importantly, will they involve mayonnaise?
   244. Never Give an Inge (Dave) Posted: October 20, 2011 at 02:26 PM (#3969219)
By the way, I've never read the original Lardner, but I still enjoy the Jack Keefe posts. Sure, they sometimes fall flat, but they usually have a few elements that make me chuckle.

The most impressive thing is probably that nobody has ever claimed credit for them.
   245. Jack Keefe Posted: October 20, 2011 at 02:37 PM (#3969224)
Hey I claim credit for them. I may not exist but I am Jack Keefe and I pitch for the Chi. Sox. I have a name. I AM A HUMAN BEAN.
   246. SoSH U at work Posted: October 20, 2011 at 02:37 PM (#3969225)
One other favorite joke for me was when people would type (Forgetting) for #######.

I'm still pissed we didn't get any Ce Lo Green residuals for that bit.
   247. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 20, 2011 at 03:01 PM (#3969249)
The Comiskey heirs blocked any further postings on Jack's website, but here's what he had up through the end of 2009.
   248. Shredder Posted: October 20, 2011 at 03:13 PM (#3969257)
I'm guessing that this is a good natured jab Shredder. IIRC, you guys are buds. Actually, Dayn's funniest work is at NotGraphs where he inserts Dick Allen's name into works of literature.
Yeah, I'm just teasing. His stuff at Notgraphs is pretty good, and Dayn's actually a very talented writer.
   249. phredbird Posted: October 20, 2011 at 03:21 PM (#3969263)
late to the thread, as usual.

i can't believe there are actually people who don't find keefe funny. i mean, come on.
   250. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 20, 2011 at 04:15 PM (#3969304)
Hadn't thought of RossCW in months, if not years. He apparently also had Neyer Board roots.

RossCW on Wiki Gonzales

He was posting on various Twins Fans blogs as recently as last year:

http://www.battleyourtailoff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17751&start=0

He still wasn't very popular
   251. fra paolo Posted: October 20, 2011 at 04:30 PM (#3969322)
Bah! A few weeks ago I found out RossCW was running a blog exactly via the route Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora has just posted. I was waiting for a good Granny Baseball post to post a link to Primer, to see if anyone would figure out who it was.
   252. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: October 20, 2011 at 04:37 PM (#3969333)
Here's a good one.

Have at it!
   253. SouthSideRyan Posted: October 20, 2011 at 04:40 PM (#3969338)
I AM A HUMAN BEAN.

Hilarious.
   254. Slivers of Maranville descends into chaos (SdeB) Posted: October 20, 2011 at 04:44 PM (#3969339)

Almost as importantly, will they involve mayonnaise?

I'm pro-Keefe but anti-mayonnaise (and anti-reclining) ... where do I show up?
   255. My name is Votto, and I love to get blotto Posted: October 20, 2011 at 04:52 PM (#3969352)

Yeah? I've never seen the show, but I LOVE those movies. Think I'll head over to Netflix to see if they've got 'em.
   256. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 20, 2011 at 08:17 PM (#3969565)
anti-mayonnaise (and anti-reclining) ... where do I show up?

Lying face down in a pool of blood in a back alley.
   257. Famous Original Joe C Posted: October 20, 2011 at 08:43 PM (#3969587)
Backlasher was probably the only poster I would routinely skim over. His posts were frequently so long, and the grammar so often twisted out of shape (or just obscured by typos) that I couldn't muster the strength to wade through them. Plus the fact that the mere mention of Billy Beane (eg, discussion of Worst Outfielders EVAH, "Jeez, the Mets actually wasted a roster spot on Billy Beane for 3 weeks!") would set him off on a demonstration that BB was the worst GM in the history of GMing...

I am with you - but then, whenever he'd talk about "Jack Crust", it would make me giggle.
   258. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 20, 2011 at 09:03 PM (#3969613)
Bah! A few weeks ago I found out RossCW was running a blog exactly via the route Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora has just posted. I was waiting for a good Granny Baseball post to post a link to Primer, to see if anyone would figure out who it was.
   252. Shooty grows weary of your Backpfeifengesicht  Posted: October 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM (#3969333)
Here's a good one.

Have at it!

That understanding trade value post made my head hurt

The Twins gave up:

One season from Johan Santana and several seasons from major league players Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett. They also gave up two prospects, Eduardo Morlan and Wilson Ramos.

They received:

3.5 major league seasons from Delmon Young , 2 major league seasons from Carlos Gomez and Brendan Harris, 1.5 seasons from Matt Capps and Jon Rauch (for Mulvey), and one major league season from JJ Hardy (for Gomez). During those seasons the Twins won 2 ALC championships.

yikes
They gave up about 25 WAR and got back 6-7...
   259. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: October 20, 2011 at 09:12 PM (#3969627)

I'm pro-Keefe but anti-mayonnaise (and anti-reclining) ... where do I show up?

We need to work up one of those political compass graph things ...
   260. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 20, 2011 at 09:44 PM (#3969661)
yikes
They gave up about 25 WAR and got back 6-7...

Yeah, that looks pretty bad, but you have to factor in the cost of those 25 WAR vs the cost of th 6-7. Not that I've done that, but that was kind of the point of the post.

How many wins could they have bought with the difference on the FA market?
   261. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: October 21, 2011 at 01:57 AM (#3969952)
Actually that wasn't the point of the post his point was that they traded x years of mlb service revived x years in return And they made the playoffs good trade then he mentioned the money involved as an afterthought.

Yes they saved some money but they were seriously hosed on the talent exchange and likely missed out on one playoff
   262. base ball chick Posted: October 21, 2011 at 02:14 AM (#3970016)
not surprised some people besides ray think jack keefe is not funny

shrug

takes all kinds

what surprises me is that none of youse guys have figured out who is writing the comments

i miss BL too but for some reason he prefers his kidz to us can you believe it
   263. Morty Causa Posted: October 21, 2011 at 03:17 AM (#3970224)
Ray may notlike Jack Keefe because he thinks I'm the author--at least he once did. Here's a fine takeoff on Lardner's original by another great comic writer:

You Know Me, Alice

Starts at page 272. It's brilliance begins with the fact that it's about a little league coach who has to cope with permissive parents who have a Freudian alibi for every one of their precious's shortcomings.

The one kid whose name is Martin had this idea that some-
body had ast him to impersonate a croquet wicket in creative
play because every time I hit him a grounder he would have
his feet planted the exact distance apart at just the right time
for the ball to pass through without no hindranse. After
about five or six of these flawless imitations the mother came
over to shed some light on it. He has this will to fail she said
and went back to shiver in the Jag some more.

Peter DeVries's Without A Stitch In Time.
   264. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2011 at 03:18 AM (#3970225)
Whomever brought up Frisky Dingo-good call. Watched the first season and it is funny. I wish they were twice as long as they were.
   265. McCoy Posted: October 21, 2011 at 03:23 AM (#3970239)
Pro-Mayonnaise
Pro-Reclining
Pro-smoking in businesses
Anti-Keefe
Pro-Andy is breaking the law
   266. Morty Causa Posted: October 21, 2011 at 03:27 AM (#3970245)
BTW, Jack, if you're reading, you need to work in some Stoney Burke and Hawaii Five-0 references.
   267. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: October 21, 2011 at 04:33 AM (#3970295)
Yeah? I've never seen the show, but I LOVE those movies. Think I'll head over to Netflix to see if they've got 'em.

If not, you can buy the complete series on DVD for, like, $10.

The movies added a lot more physical slapstick (which isn't my thing). The TV show is FAR more focused on the puns and wordplay.

I less than three that show.
   268. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: October 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM (#3970334)
Actually that wasn't the point of the post his point was that they traded x years of mlb service revived x years in return And they made the playoffs good trade then he mentioned the money involved as an afterthought.

Yes they saved some money but they were seriously hosed on the talent exchange and likely missed out on one playoff

From the article:
What this does not evaluate is salary issues. Most of the seasons the Twins received from players were at the low end of the salary scale. Capps would be the exception to that. The players traded away were all moving up the salary scale. So somehow you need to consider how the money saved got spent. For instance, the savings from Hardy's salary apparently allowed the Twins to sign Pavano. Does that mean they got Pavano for Hardy? I don't think so. I am not sure how you DO evaluate the salary issue but it needs to be part of the equation.
   269. Lassus Posted: October 21, 2011 at 11:24 AM (#3970344)

Worst. Thread. Ever.
   270. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM (#3970346)

Worst. Thread. Ever.

Yeah, but it's been worth it for the DVD's.

And obviously God approves of my lawbreaking, since He delayed all the run-scoring last night until The Mask of Dimitrios was over. Good timing, Big Fella.
   271. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: October 21, 2011 at 01:20 PM (#3970388)
And obviously God approves of my lawbreaking, since He delayed all the run-scoring last night until The Mask of Dimitrios was over. Good timing, Big Fella.

You and your hubris are just being set up, like in a good film noir.

I definitely lingered longer than the commercial breaks catching snippets of TMoD last night. Never seen it but it looks very cool.
   272. JJ1986 Posted: October 21, 2011 at 01:38 PM (#3970411)

Analyzing the Santana trade as "keeping Santana" v. "package they got from the Mets" is the wrong way to do it. At one point, both the Red Sox and Yankees had much much better packages on the table and Smith lost them by moving too slowly.
   273. Jolly Old St. Nick Still Gags in October Posted: October 21, 2011 at 01:47 PM (#3970423)

You and your hubris are just being set up, like in a good film noir.

Of course if I were a world class criminal mastermind, I'd be recording on one channel while watching the other, and then transferring my ill-gotten goodies to DVDs. But nah, I'm just a run of the mill shoplifter.
   274. Shredder Posted: October 21, 2011 at 01:58 PM (#3970439)
Whomever brought up Frisky Dingo-good call. Watched the first season and it is funny. I wish they were twice as long as they were.
They get better on repeated views. The episodes go by really quickly, and there's a lot that gets missed the first time around.
   275. GGC don't think it can get longer than a novella Posted: October 21, 2011 at 09:54 PM (#3971051)
I am with you - but then, whenever he'd talk about "Jack Crust", it would make me giggle.

"Oakland Vice" Dan Johnson. Does he get Bucky F, Dent treatment now from Red Sox fans?
Page 3 of 3 pages  < 1 2 3

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.