Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

BBHOF: Eric Nadel Named 2014 Ford C. Frick Award Winner for Broadcasting Excellence

Happy for him, but why not Bill King???

Eric Nadel, who has spent the last 35 years as the voice of the Texas Rangers, has been selected as the 2014 recipient of the Ford C. Frick Award, presented annually for excellence in broadcasting by the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum.

Nadel will be recognized during the Hall of Fame Awards Presentation on Saturday, July 26, as part of Hall of Fame Weekend 2014. Nadel becomes the first primary voice of the Texas Rangers to be honored with the Frick Award, as he earned the highest point total in a vote conducted by the Hall of Fame’s 20-member Frick Award Committee.

The Non-Catching Molina (sjs1959) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 11:07 AM | 16 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: broadcasting, eric nadel, ford c frick award, rangers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Andy McGeady Posted: December 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM (#4615851)
Some day, there will be a thread like this and the first response will be

"Holy Toledo!"

And it will be a happy day. Because Bill King will have finally won the Frick award.

P.S. at least it wasn't Hawk

P.P.S. pleased for Nadel, of course

2. The Non-Catching Molina (sjs1959) Posted: December 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM (#4615856)
And Mike Shannon was a finalist? I think I would even take Hawk over Shannon.
   3. BDC Posted: December 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM (#4615863)
I have been lucky to follow a team with Eric Nadel as the regular radio announcer for the past 25 years. (And this is an opportunity to remember how good he was with the late Mark Holtz in the early part of that span). Nadel is always enthusiastic (long before he had much of a team to be enthusiastic about). He never sounds tired or fed up. He's consistently alert and informative, and excited for the Rangers without being a "homer," a nice balance. Well-deserved, and many congratulations.
   4. a bebop a rebop Posted: December 11, 2013 at 01:25 PM (#4615920)
Nadel was the voice of my life from ages nine to fourteen. Having had MLB.tv for the last few years, I've really gotten an appreciation of how few announcers are in his ballpark.

Yay!
   5. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: December 11, 2013 at 01:39 PM (#4615938)
And it will be a happy day. Because Bill King will have finally won the Frick award.

It doesn't seem like they're ever going to honor King with this.
   6. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: December 11, 2013 at 01:53 PM (#4615954)
When was the last time the Frick award was given posthumously?
   7. SoSHially Unacceptable Posted: December 11, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4615959)
When was the last time the Frick award was given posthumously?

All the way back in 2013 (Tom Cheek).

8. Rafael Bellylard: Built like a Panda. Posted: December 11, 2013 at 02:28 PM (#4616001)
All the way back in 2013 (Tom Cheek).

Well there ya go. You expect me to remember THAT far back?
   9. Poster Nutbag Posted: December 11, 2013 at 02:36 PM (#4616005)
No, seriously, #### this award and everyone involved with it.
   10. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: December 11, 2013 at 02:45 PM (#4616020)
Form Athletics Nation today, an interview with Ken Korach about Bill King.

Nico: I know you talk about this some in the book, but when you first started working together (in 1996) -- I actually don't have a vivid recollection of that year now, as to what it sounded like in the booth -- what was that first year, or the process of starting out working together like?

Ken: Well, I always felt that we got along from the very beginning. And we got along from the very beginning off the air too. There was an adjustment, I'm sure, for both us - because he had to get to know me, and I had to get to know him, and everybody has their idiosyncrasies. And you always have to bend a little bit in any kind of relationship, especially with a broadcast partner. And if you're going to do 162 games or spend 6 months, literally, with someone, every day...

But there was never a time when I felt uncomfortable with Bill. And I had to kind of learn his ways, and learn his quirks, and it went beyond the 3 things he said I couldn't do. (Bill did not want his broadcast partner to say "Thanks, Bill..." when he turned the broadcast over to them, he disliked what he perceived as redundancies in phrases like "Early on" and "grand slam homerun," and he did not accept the term "swinging bunt".) You had to learn (that) he was so dedicated and he got this tunnel vision an hour, hour-and-a-half before the game started where he would get locked into his preparation, where you begin to learn: You don't make small talk with Bill King at 6:15pm before a 7:00pm game, because he's getting himself locked in. So those are the things you kind of learn.
   11. John Northey Posted: December 11, 2013 at 03:00 PM (#4616039)
Just checking for old voting to see who has been most ignored by the committee. Hard to find full results but got some. Didn't sort by who won, more interesting to see who is top 3 year in/year out.

2004: Lon Simmons*, Dave Niehaus*, Joe Nuxhall
2005: Dave Niehaus*, Tom Cheek*, Ron Santo (now in regular HOF)
2006: Dave Niehaus*, Bill King and Jacques Doucet
2007: Bill King, Joe Nuxhall, Ken Harrelson
2008: Bill King, Joe Nuxhall, Joe Morgan
2009: Tom Cheek*, Bill King, Joe Nuxhall
2010: Tom Cheek*, Bill King, Joe Nuxhall
2011: Tom Cheek*, Bill King and Jacques Doucet
2012: Mike Shannon, Tom Cheek*, Jacques Doucet
2013: Tom Cheek*, Bill King and Jacques Doucet
2014: Duane Kuiper, Bill King and Jacques Doucet

An * indicates they did win eventually.

Most times voted in by fans but not by Hall...
8 Bill King
5 Jacques Doucet
5 Joe Nuxhall

Cheek was on it 6 times before getting in, so there is hope but geez do the official voters have issues with those 3. Well past time for King to get in and Doucet should be in imo as well.
   12. theboyqueen Posted: December 11, 2013 at 03:17 PM (#4616056)
If Duane freaking Kuiper gets this before Bill King I think I might riot. I don't think anybody in the Bay Area, Duane Kuiper included, would be able to make any sense of that.
   13. dr. scott Posted: December 11, 2013 at 04:33 PM (#4616139)
The Duane kuiper vote apparently happened because the voters forgot he had a brother, and thought he was broadcasting simultaneously for the Giants and A's. Either that or they all got great deals on solar panels from "not any solar Company, but THE solar Company".

I miss the days of having both king and miller sometimes on the radio at the same time and switching between them. Now I am never near a radio, so rarely listen to radio broadcasts of either team.
   14. frannyzoo Posted: December 11, 2013 at 09:44 PM (#4616366)
As noted above, Nadel was a huge part of my youth, along with Holtz. Years gone from Ranger fandom and as far from Texas as I can get, it's still very good to hear him via XM. He's a treasure.

And I know King is a treasure and it's a disgrace, but Nadel is good people (as we say in the state I've long left) and deserves recognition, too.
   15. sinicalypse Posted: December 12, 2013 at 08:59 PM (#4617161)
"you gotta be BLEEPING me" - hawk harrelson
   16. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: December 12, 2013 at 09:25 PM (#4617179)
No one's ever BLEEPed Hawk Harrelson. At least I hope they haven't.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
danielj
for his generous support.