Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Monday, May 05, 2014

Berg: Is it time to worry about Derek Jeter?

If the scrotal abscess drainage procedure doesn’t go as planned…then yes.

Derek Jeter is off to a slow start in 2014. After a sub-standard April, the Yankees’ captain went 1-for-15 in his first three games in May, including the first 0-for-7 night of his career on Friday. He’s now hitting .240 on the season with a .311 on-base percentage and only three extra-base hits in 96 at-bats.

Despite the shortstop’s struggles, the Yankees sit in first place in the AL East after a 16-14 start. But Jeter’s offensive woes have fans and media debating whether he should be dropped in the batting order, and, more generally, if it’s time to worry about Derek Jeter.

No and no. It is not time to worry about Derek Jeter.

...If panicking about sports is your thing, then by all means, panic about Derek Jeter. But poor results over 24 games say precisely nothing about Jeter that we didn’t know entering the season. Citing them as evidence that he should be benched or dropped in the batting order is as silly as — or maybe even sillier than — suggesting Yangervis Solarte’s hot start makes him a surefire All-Star moving forward.

Coming up on his 40th birthday, Jeter is not by any means the hitter he was in his heyday. But reversion to the mean is a powerful force in baseball, and it’s still likely safer to bet on Jeter hitting like a capable MLB shortstop than a deadball-era backup catcher.

Revisit that, of course, if Jeter still hasn’t shown any signs of life by sometime in June. For now, give the guy a few weeks to get his timing together after missing nearly the entire 2013 season.

Repoz Posted: May 05, 2014 at 06:52 PM | 132 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: yankees

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2
   101. cardsfanboy Posted: May 08, 2014 at 01:22 PM (#4702926)
I will just repeat that outside of one really bad week (that seems to have ended with the posting of this thread) Jeter has been OK this season, as was noted all the way back in #4. Now perhaps that bad week is going to be indicative of something, but small sample size suggests some caution in making that assessment. Not sure why the fan-boy haters ignore that, but they have done it before. Jeter is still the Yankees best option at SS.

Outside of basically a 7 game stretch, his season has been pretty bad. You remove April 17-24th out of the equation, and you have for the rest of the year.....246/.311/.283 (assuming I did the math right)

Selective removal at this time of the year is almost always going to produce the results people want to see.

Edit: Fixed math errors....
   102. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: May 08, 2014 at 03:36 PM (#4703009)
Who would you rather have play SS for you right now, Clapper? Jeter or Bogaerts?

I had been holding a scintilla of a doubt that Publius is one of our old friends, returned under a different name. Now I have no doubt at all.

For the record, I would have traded Jeter for all sorts of SS flavors of the month over the last decade or so. And been hilariously wrong virtually every time.
   103. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: May 08, 2014 at 03:41 PM (#4703011)
Mike Trout or Shane Victorino? DECIDE!!!!!!!
   104. Publius Publicola Posted: May 08, 2014 at 03:43 PM (#4703013)
And been hilariously wrong virtually every time.

So, Jeter then?
   105. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: May 08, 2014 at 04:03 PM (#4703019)
NOT. DEAD. YET

DEAD. CAT. BOUNCE.

seriously, you do know he'll turn 40 next month?

Yankee options:
In organization?
AAA SS, Carmen Angelini, sports a nifty minor league career mark of .230/.290/.316, so let's say pass...

AA SS, Ali Castillo,sports a minor league career mark of .273/.344/.374, which looks good compared to Angelini, until you realize that includes 4 years in the Dominican Summer League where he ht, .309/.392/.439, Ali hit .234/.297/.295 in Tampa (FSL) and .219/.277/.281 in Trenton (so far)

Dean Anna? (I assume that if he was an MLB caliber glove he'd been in the bigs years ago)
Solarte? (hell some magic pixie dust got into his bat, maybe he's got some left over for his glove... but then you'd need a 3b)

I'm sure Ruben Tejada is available :-)

The Yankees best option at Short in 2014? Stephen Drew

106. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: May 08, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4703020)
Now I have no doubt at all.

He removed any doubt I had when he jumped into that last Cano/Pedroia thread
   107. The Yankee Clapper Posted: May 08, 2014 at 05:44 PM (#4703072)
He removed any doubt I had when he jumped into that last Cano/Pedroia thread

The incredibly antagonistic posting style is also a give away.
   108. Johnny Sycophant-Laden Fora Posted: May 08, 2014 at 05:58 PM (#4703078)
The incredibly antagonistic posting style is also a give away.

He's mellowed quite a bit, the PP persona is much less belligerent than the Kevin persona, that's what lead to some nagging doubt.

Kevin was even more belligerent than Joey B...
   109. PreservedFish Posted: May 08, 2014 at 06:49 PM (#4703104)
Who would you rather have play SS for you right now, Clapper? Jeter or Bogaerts?

Shouldn't it have been Jeter or Desmond?
   110. madvillain Posted: May 08, 2014 at 07:06 PM (#4703107)
Hopefully he gets so bad that the Yankees send 20 million and their top 20 prospects to the White Sox for Alexei Ramirez at the deadline.
   111. Benji Gil Gamesh Rises Posted: May 08, 2014 at 10:50 PM (#4703191)
This may be too late to post this, but in case newer primates haven't seen it:
The Death of Derek Jeter thread.
   112. Bitter Mouse Posted: May 08, 2014 at 11:03 PM (#4703198)
I would like to point out (as many posts do) that Post #25 on that linked thread is one of the greatest posts ever on this site. Brilliant. Everyone should click the link and read it.
   113. CrosbyBird Posted: May 10, 2014 at 04:49 AM (#4703922)
That is the best thread I have ever participated in.
   114. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:03 AM (#4727145)
4. Ray (RDP) Posted: May 05, 2014 at 07:26 PM (#4700705)

He may be done and not that I like splitting data up this way but you're dealing with a small sample of 100 PA to begin with and he was hitting 292/378/333 a week ago before going 2-24, so I don't see why you wouldn't wait to see if he can push the average back up to .270. If he can do that with some walks then you can live with it. It's not like you have a great replacement and he's gone in 5 months anyway.

His power seems to have left him.

Well, six weeks later he's pushed his average back to .270 with some walks -- 271/327/322 -- for an 82 OPS+ (0.5 WAR) so he's been adequate, and he's actually not the worst problem the lineup has. Soriano and Beltran have been worse, and Roberts has been about the same.

The Yankees have been outscored by 27 runs on the year but somehow - yet again - are two games over .500. You wonder just how many cats Joe Girardi has to rescue from trees, and how many old ladies he has to help across the street, to continue to have this kind of luck.
   115. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:39 AM (#4727178)
I would like to point out (as many posts do) that Post #25 on that linked thread is one of the greatest posts ever on this site. Brilliant. Everyone should click the link and read it.

Since the average motherfucker on BTF never clicks on links, I'll spare them the trouble. This one got Guapo into the Primate Hall of Fame faster than a Roberto Clemente plane crash:

25. Guapo Posted: October 19, 2006 at 03:54 PM (#2217810)
One morning, Derek Jeter awoke to discover that he had transformed into a giant cockroach. The clutchest cockroach ever. He rolled out of bed, ignoring the screams from the nubile Maxim covergirl lying next to him, and quickly donned his uniform as best he could in his current condition. Today was opening day and he had to go to Yankee Stadium to play against the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

A quiet murmur circulated through the stands as the Yankee fans contemplated Derek fielding practice grounders before the game. The only indication that this was, in fact, the Yankee captain that they had grown to know and idolize was the familiar "2" on the back of his jersey. In the press box, Michael Kay looked down at the giant cockroach and felt a certain kinship that he couldn't quite explain.

The game began. The Yankee fans began their usual roll call of the players, but instead of "De-rek Jet-er" they chanted "Gi-ant ####-roach." Obviously, they had decided to go with it. Derek discreetly tipped his hat, revealing two long antenna that bounced around slightly in the cool April breeze that blew through Yankee Stadium.

The leadoff hitter for the Devil Rays, a short, unhappy man who secretly desired to be a concert pianist, grounded a ball sharply up the middle. In the past, this had been Derek's only weakness, the groundball that required him to range to his left and dive. Now, however, as a giant cockroach, diving was no longer necessary. Derek deftly scuttled to his left, cleanly picked off the ball with his glove, and fired a strike to first, beating the runner by half a step. As the crowd roared its approval, Derek fist-pumped three of his legs. It was going to be a good season.
   116. Ray (RDP) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:43 AM (#4727183)
Since the average ############ on BTF never clicks on links, I'll spare them the trouble.

Sometimes it's not simply that we won't click on licks. For example, I started reading what you posted, and then stopped reading after the first sentence, which was "One morning, Derek Jeter awoke to discover that he had transformed into a giant cockroach."

I don't plan on reading the rest.
   117. JE (Jason) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:45 AM (#4727185)
Despite his recent OBP surge, Ray, Jeter's SLG has gone up only slightly. At this point, Jeter's value would be optimized in the no. 9 hole. (Solarte would hit second.)
   118. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:48 AM (#4727187)
Sometimes it's not simply that we won't click on licks. For example, I started reading what you posted, and then stopped reading after the first sentence, which was "One morning, Derek Jeter awoke to discover that he had transformed into a giant cockroach."

I don't plan on reading the rest.

It's actually quite well-done, but yeah, humor is about as subjective as it gets.
   119. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:51 AM (#4727190)
Andy, if you're still hanging around, the subject of litary parodies reminds me that I've been searching (albeit very desultorily) for years for an anthology of same that I checked out of the public library back in the mid-'70s. It wouldn't have been new then, so probably it dated back to the mid-'60s at the very latest. All that I remember was that it had an orange cover with caricatures of some of the authors lampooned, like (IIRC) Poe & Hemingway.

The most obvious candidates haven't rung a bell (i.e. the dj I remember hasn't shown up) via the occasional Google or Amazon search. Any ideas?
   120. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM (#4727197)
You may be thinking of Dwight Macdonald's classic compilation of Parodies, which was published in 1960 and is still in print.

And while we're on the subject of cockroaches, you might like Don Marquis's The Lives and Times of Archy and Mehitabel**. It may be over Ray's head, but given that it's been in print constantly for nearly 90 years, there may be some others here who'd appreciate it.

**The link is to but one of many editions, many of which are very inexpensive.
   121. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM (#4727202)
The Macdonald is one I've come across before in my search, but I've been unable to come up with an edition that matches the dj I'm recalling, on which author caricatures in the style of Campbell Grant (assuming my memories of his drawings in Richard Armour's American Lit Re-Lit are at all accurate) were quite prominent above & below the title. *sigh*

"Archy & Mehitabel" I remember an example of from a reader in high school. Not sure if I own that collection (my books, as I've whined before, couldn't be in more disarray if I were to throw a grenade into the room where I keep them), but I need to.
   122. The Id of SugarBear Blanks Posted: June 16, 2014 at 11:13 AM (#4727210)
Was that the "E-2, Jorge??" thread? That was phenomenal.

The Metamorphosis takeoff was top-grade, too.
   123. Jolly Old St. Nick Is A Jolly Old St. Crip Posted: June 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM (#4727272)
"Archy & Mehitabel" I remember an example of from a reader in high school. Not sure if I own that collection (my books, as I've whined before, couldn't be in more disarray if I were to throw a grenade into the room where I keep them), but I need to.

Maybe this will inspire you to rent a steamshovel. Naturally the illustrations are all by George "Krazy Kat" Herriman. There's nothing remotely comparable to either of those two today, though the New Yorker's "Shouts and Murmurs" often hits some high notes of free associational whimsy.
   124. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Griffin (Vlad) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 12:18 PM (#4727340)
"Archy & Mehitabel" I remember an example of from a reader in high school.

My grandmother's cat was named Mehitabel.
   125. Jeff R., P***y Mainlander Posted: June 16, 2014 at 03:05 PM (#4727560)
"...Derek fist-pumped three of his legs" gets me every time. Classic.
   126. A big pile of nonsense (gef the talking mongoose) Posted: June 16, 2014 at 03:37 PM (#4727587)
I think my English teacher in 9th & 12th grades was named Mehitabel, though I'm not sure it was spelled that way.
   127. BDC Posted: June 16, 2014 at 04:04 PM (#4727617)
I say it who shouldn't, but there is great stuff in that Death of Jeter thread (and I linked to it from my Guide to Baseball Fiction – heck, it should have its own entry there). Hard to pick a favorite, but AlouGoodbye as Tennyson cracks me up: "To bat, to take, to rake, and not to field."
   128. Gonfalon Bubble Posted: June 16, 2014 at 08:51 PM (#4728019)
What was the thread with all the song allusions by the Who?
   129. Tom Nawrocki Posted: June 16, 2014 at 09:19 PM (#4728049)
I don't remember the thread, but Guapo's Retrosheet-style rendition of him making three quick outs with college girls was maybe the funniest thing I've seen here.
   130. 'Spos Posted: June 16, 2014 at 09:45 PM (#4728063)
"Gi-ant ####-roach."
   131. bobm Posted: June 16, 2014 at 11:02 PM (#4728121)
[129]

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/newsstand/discussion/stamford_times_andy_rooney_a_no_hit_game_for_me/#2496489
   132. TVerik, the gum-snappin' hairdresser Posted: June 17, 2014 at 01:35 AM (#4728169)
The Nanny's appearance in #115 made me giggle.
Page 2 of 2 pages  < 1 2

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Dock Ellis on Acid
for his generous support.