Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Best-paid athletes from 182 countries

ESPN the Magazine’s latest feature is about money. Part of that is this look at the highest paid athlete from many countries. Baseball players take the title in Canada, Cuba, Curacao, DR, Japan, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, PR, Taiwan, USA and Venezuela.

They also have a list of the 200 best-paying clubs in the world. Particularly fun for seeing that the Kansas City Royal are only 3 above the Hanshin Tigers on the list.

Gamingboy Posted: April 20, 2011 at 10:51 PM | 73 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: business, international

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Don Geovany Soto (chris h.) Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:18 PM (#3803734)
The highest-ranked NFL team is at #70 (the Redskins). If I'm the NFLPA, I'm bringing this up during labor negotiations.
   2. 'zop sympathizes with the wrong ####### people Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:28 PM (#3803749)
These numbers are wrong - or rather, inconsistent. On the best-paying clubs list, the IPL cricket squads rank highly, competitive with MLB and NBA teams. But if you look at the best-paid athlete list, the top earning athletes from the IPL - the top earner from India and Pakistan - make bupkis. And there are no huge earners from other cricket playing countries, either. It doesn't add up.
   3. UCCF Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:30 PM (#3803751)
$20M for a motorcycle racer? That sport must be huge in Italy.
   4. puck Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:32 PM (#3803757)
Do the soccer numbers include transfer fees? And since it's an average, which players do they include? Rosters seem pretty fluid in soccer, with players coming up from the reserve/youth squads.
   5. puck Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:34 PM (#3803759)
Hmm, Jamaica's best paid athlete isn't Usain Bolt?
   6. Shredder Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM (#3803772)
Anze!
   7. Yardape Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM (#3803778)
Hmm, Jamaica's best paid athlete isn't Usain Bolt?

Pretty sure Bolt makes about $5 million per year, so he would top the soccer player on that list. Maybe it depends on how they count income, though. The majority of Bolt's earnings are probably endorsements (Puma), which may not be counted. I'm not sure how, or if, they would count appearance fees. Bolt's actual winnings might be relatively small.
   8. Dylan B Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM (#3803779)
Surprised that baseball is the leader for 12 countries.

Anze!

Lol, he was the one person I was almost certain would be the highest for his country.
   9. JRVJ Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM (#3803784)
I'm having a difficult time believing that Carlos Tevez makes more than Lionel Messi.
   10. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:04 AM (#3803786)
#2, I think the team numbers are wrong for the IPL. The salary cap for an entire IPL team is only $9M, which seems crazy-low to me. Anyway, I guess in that context it makes sense that MS Dhoni is making $1.8M a year.

There are some pretty massive financial shenanigans that go on in the IPL, though, so your guess is as good as mine re: the actual numbers.

It also makes me wonder why the England and Wales Cricket board hasn't looked at that, realized how easily they could outspend the IPL, and built a better league. Australia's moving in that direction with a revamp of their T20 league.
   11. Flynn Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM (#3803789)
It also makes me wonder why the England and Wales Cricket board hasn't looked at that, realized how easily they could outspend the IPL, and built a better league.

Nobody cares about domestic cricket in England.
   12. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:09 AM (#3803792)
Would they need to? Put the 120 best players in the world on the field and the media rights fees alone would be massive.
   13. DCA Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM (#3803793)
If I counted correctly (probably not), I make more money than the highest paid athlete in 8 countries.

Russia Andrei Kirilenko basketball NBA, Utah Jazz $17,822,187

World's worst contract?
   14. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM (#3803794)
(deleted. Double post.)
   15. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM (#3803795)
[Inexplicably, it was a triple post. So, in honor...]

It'll be good to avoid some of the dross, but could we hold off on quality-post ratio (QPR)? I'm actually a season ticket holder at Queens Park Rangers (Loftus Road, London W12) who also subscibes to their mailing list and I doubt I'd be able to keep it all straight.

Luton Town home this Saturday - Up the R's!!

(oops, it's Baseball Primer...)

Thnaks for the hard work. The site is a treat
   16. sardonic Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:18 AM (#3803808)
From TFA:

"Average Annual Salary" represents base player salaries from current or most recently completed seasons from each sport, and excludes endorsements, bonuses, appearance fees and any other source of extra compensation.
   17. Padgett Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:24 AM (#3803818)
I'm having a difficult time believing that Carlos Tevez makes more than Lionel Messi.
He might. My recollection is that the details of Tevez's contract as reported during his transfer drama last year were unclear, but there were reports that he was making £230,000 or even £280,000 per week. The ESPN figure is a bit below the lower end of that. Messi's deal signed in September 2009, meanwhile, was estimated at £160,000 per week.
   18. Der Komminsk-sar Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:24 AM (#3803819)
Ak47 - not even close, as he's at least an above avg player, though overpaid.
   19. Yardape Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:37 AM (#3803825)
From TFA:

"Average Annual Salary" represents base player salaries from current or most recently completed seasons from each sport, and excludes endorsements, bonuses, appearance fees and any other source of extra compensation.

Ah, well, that will probably do in Bolt. Add to that the fact that he missed some time with an injury last year (which would hold down his winnings), the lack of a major championship last year and the fact that he didn't break any world records (so no bonus), and last year would make Bolt look fairly poorly paid, relative to his fame.
   20. Ebessan Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM (#3803828)
Now I'm depressed about Robert Kubica again.
   21. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:47 AM (#3803831)
The highest-ranked NFL team is at #70 (the Redskins). If I'm the NFLPA, I'm bringing this up during labor negotiations.
Average salary per player is kind of a silly metric to use accross sports though. 65 man rosters are always going to drive the average down versus sports with fewer roster spots.
   22. AROM Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:08 AM (#3803852)
"Ak47 - not even close, as he's at least an above avg player, though overpaid."

That's a product of the salary cap. Guys like AK47 and Joe Johnson get max deals because teams have the money, there are only a limited number of true superstars to go around, and if they don't then somebody else will pay them. Lebron doesn't make any more because the rule says he can't.
   23. smileyy Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:10 AM (#3803854)
The Central African Republic has Romain Sato, who signed a 3 year, $14M contract. So the data points are a little questionable.
   24. King Mekong Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:44 AM (#3803922)
Probably the top Armenian chess player in the world (Lev Aronian ~ #3 in the world) makes more than the soccer player who makes 360k
(http://www.chess.com/article/view/making-money-in-chess).
   25. Biff, highly-regarded young guy Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:44 AM (#3803923)
It'll be good to avoid some of the dross, but could we hold off on quality-post ratio (QPR)? I'm actually a season ticket holder at Queens Park Rangers (Loftus Road, London W12) who also subscibes to their mailing list and I doubt I'd be able to keep it all straight.

I didn't even know you lived in England. Congrats on the near-certainty QPR promotion.
   26. Hugh Jorgan Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:04 AM (#3803976)
$20M for a motorcycle racer? That sport must be huge in Italy.

You're sh*tting me right? Not A motorcycle "racer", but THE motorcycle rider...Valentino Rossi...best ever; and he took a pay cut after the GFC. Dude was making close to $40mil US per before and makes more than that in endorsements. When he switched from Honda to Yamaha a few years back, their sales doubled within a year..guy is worth every dollar he earns at 320kph.
   27. Raskolnikov Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:11 AM (#3803984)
You're sh*tting me right? Not A motorcycle "racer", but THE motorcycle rider...Valentino Rossi...best ever

Never heard of him.
   28. Shredder Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:23 AM (#3803991)
Lol, he was the one person I was almost certain would be the highest for his country.
Slovenia has a few guys in the NBA, and basketball players make a lot of money, so it wouldn't have surprised me if one of them made more than Kopitar.
   29. Der-K and the statistical werewolves. Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:28 AM (#3803995)
That's a product of the salary cap. Guys like AK47 and Joe Johnson get max deals because teams have the money, there are only a limited number of true superstars to go around, and if they don't then somebody else will pay them. Lebron doesn't make any more because the rule says he can't.

Salary cap aside, I was commenting on the notion that Kirilenko's deal is awful (though it certainly is no bargain). At the time he signed it, you could make an argument that he was one of the 10-20 best players in the league (for example, his WS/48 was consistently ranked in the 10-15 range, some of his other uber-stats looked better still) + he was only 23 and could conceivably improve wrt his weakspot: scoring. Instead, he steadily declined / had some injuries / Utah didn't maximize his value (partly because Boozer developed and Millsap showed up). Still, he's a very nice piece to have: above average defender at two spots, efficient though reluctant scorer, plus passer - and has been the best or second best player on the team by some comprehensive metrics (Roland/simple ratings on 82games, for one) almost every year for that team, even in his decline.
That's a better deal than, say, the similarly paid this year Gil Arenas, a demonstrably inferior (though more famous) player.
   30. Norcan Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:32 AM (#3804001)
A Rally Racer makes 26 million a year? Isn't that the sport where the cars do drifts? There is revenue to pay one guy that much money? Wow. I only know what Rally Racing is, maybe, because the founder of DC Shoes rode rally cars on Fantasy Factory. I guess if I was born where Rally Racing is popular enough to produce such revenue I would probably follow it too.
   31. Norcan Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:38 AM (#3804011)
Kirilenko also earned his contract primarily playing PF. Injuries and personnel additions have largely stuck him at SF where the impact of his help defense is somewhat mitigated and offense is harder to come by.
   32. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:12 AM (#3804040)
A Rally Racer makes 26 million a year? Isn't that the sport where the cars do drifts?

The rally driver in question is a former Formula One World Champion driver for Ferrari. He's scheduled to start driving in NASCAR later this year. That kind of driver doesn't come cheap...
   33. Infinite Joost (Voxter) Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:24 AM (#3804046)
You're sh*tting me right? Not A motorcycle "racer", but THE motorcycle rider...Valentino Rossi...best ever;

I'd never once heard of him before today.
   34. Dylan B Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:30 AM (#3804050)
A Rally Racer makes 26 million a year? Isn't that the sport where the cars do drifts? There is revenue to pay one guy that much money? Wow.

Well that is Kimi Räikkönen, the former F1 champ who drove for Ferrari; so he does bring a bit of a name with him when he moved to Rally last year. Although, he is now trying his hand at NASCAR, starting with the Trucks series this year, so may see a change.

Slovenia has a few guys in the NBA, and basketball players make a lot of money, so it wouldn't have surprised me if one of them made more than Kopitar.

I knew there were alot of Slavic NBA players, but didn't realize how many came from Slovenia(assumed most of them were either Croats or Serbs)
   35. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:39 AM (#3804060)
I've never heard of this "Valentino Rossi". It was my understanding that motorcycle racing was a professional sport in two countries at two timepoints: the UK in the 1960s, and the US during the whole BMX craze.

These numbers are wrong - or rather, inconsistent. On the best-paying clubs list, the IPL cricket squads rank highly, competitive with MLB and NBA teams. But if you look at the best-paid athlete list, the top earning athletes from the IPL - the top earner from India and Pakistan - make bupkis. And there are no huge earners from other cricket playing countries, either. It doesn't add up.

I've seen this sort of ranking before and the explanation was that the IPL season only lasts for two months, and the salary thing is pro-rated as monthly salary. So MS Dhoni's $1.8 million is $900,000 per month, and the rest of the time I guess he gets paid on a per-appearance basis for the national test cricket team and Twenty20 team. A lot of people are on an IPL team in April and May and then an English county team for June through September. And then maybe an Australian team in the winter.

Whereas all those soccer players, the salary is over 12 months.
   36. McCoy Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:52 AM (#3804065)
If I counted correctly (probably not), I make more money than the highest paid athlete in 8 countries.

I was looking at the list and saying to myself that you make shvt and apparently I get paid better than a ton of athletes but then I realized that I was looking at Per Capita GDP which depressed me. Looks like I beat out 7 athletes.
   37. PreservedFish Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:54 AM (#3804068)
I'm guessing that Bermuda's per capita GDP is not really $100,000
   38. PreservedFish Posted: April 21, 2011 at 04:06 AM (#3804077)
Also, I had never heard of the country Niue, despite much geographical Sporcling and my ownership of the beautiful Atlas of Remote Islands. According to this page, Niue's top paid athlete is named Michael Junior Jackson (!), for whom there is a tiny Google footprint. The only other site that mentions him are a few pages of results from the 2009 Pacific Mini Games. I'd be fascinated to learn how his named popped up on this page.

Niue does have another resident named Michael Jackson, and according to ABC news the death of the famous Michael Jackson shocked the entire island (1,000 pop.), who had assumed that it was their neighbor that had died. Is it his father?
   39. UCCF Posted: April 21, 2011 at 04:45 AM (#3804101)
I've never heard of this "Valentino Rossi". It was my understanding that motorcycle racing was a professional sport in two countries at two timepoints: the UK in the 1960s, and the US during the whole BMX craze.

I would have guessed that a multi-millionaire named Valentino Rossi was heir to the Martini & Rossi vermouth fortune.
   40. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 05:23 AM (#3804117)
I didn't even know you lived in England. Congrats on the near-certainty QPR promotion.

Nah, I live in Columbus. It was an obscure reference to the early Primer days when someone octuple (or more) posted that.
   41. Walt Davis Posted: April 21, 2011 at 06:16 AM (#3804121)
Yachting? ####.

Is that more or less embarrassing than badminton?
   42. vortex of dissipation Posted: April 21, 2011 at 06:22 AM (#3804123)
Yachting? ####.

Making $10,000,000 a year doing it is hardly embarrassing.
   43. sardonic Posted: April 21, 2011 at 06:34 AM (#3804127)

It's because Tevez plays for Manchester City, which::

1) Is owned by a member of the UAE ruling family
2) Has to overpay top players because
a) It's not a historically "big" club
b) It doesn't compete in the Champions League
c) Manchester is not exactly a a prime place to live, especially when you're competing against top clubs in Spain for Spanish speaking players
d) Tevez was signed from their rivals Manchester United

So it'd be like what the Clippers would have to pay to get Kobe to sign with them, only if the Clippers were suddenly owned by Bill Gates, there was no salary cap, and instead of being in LA there were based in, I dunno, Cleveland.
   44. Hugh Jorgan Posted: April 21, 2011 at 06:44 AM (#3804128)
I dunno, Cleveland

zing!

Walt are you dissing yachting? Don't you live in NZ? It's the home of yachting, your guys are best in the world at it...heck didn't a kiwi guy skipper the last Swiss boat that won the america's cup thing?

Also Messi has been with Barca since he was 12, so they get a discount. Apparently he's got asthma or something and Barca kindly offered to help the family with the medical bills in exchange for his services.
   45. North Side Chicago Expatriate Giants Fan Posted: April 21, 2011 at 08:13 AM (#3804139)
Also Messi has been with Barca since he was 12, so they get a discount. Apparently he's got asthma or something and Barca kindly offered to help the family with the medical bills in exchange for his services.

"Moneyball II" - Billy Beane hires a team doctor and heads to the DR with a bag full of inhalers.
   46. BFFB Posted: April 21, 2011 at 08:28 AM (#3804140)
He had some kind of pituitary(?) problem which meant his body didn't naturally produce HGH. Barcelona paid for his treatment. Because of this he seems happy to sign non-extortionate contracts (it also helps that Barcelona and him have a sort of gentleman's agreement that he will always be the best paid player at the club).
   47. Fancy Pants Handles lap changes with class Posted: April 21, 2011 at 09:23 AM (#3804143)
(it also helps that Barcelona and him have a sort of gentleman's agreement that he will always be the best paid player at the club)

That's an easy one for Barca to keep up, as long as he is the best player in the world. Might get interresting 5 years from now though...
   48. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 10:21 AM (#3804145)

He had a growth hormone problem as a kid. The local Argentine clubs did not want to / could not afford to pay for treatment. Barca agreed to pay for it.
   49. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 10:28 AM (#3804146)
Steve Carlton Loewer (Crispix Attacks) Posted: April 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM (#3804060)

Motorcycle racing is actually a pretty popular sport globally. And Rossi is the best ever. He's won everything there is to be won, to the point that he's dabbling in other motor sports, there are regular rumours / reports that he wants to move to either F1 or motory rallying.
   50. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM (#3804147)
It also makes me wonder why the England and Wales Cricket board hasn't looked at that, realized how easily they could outspend the IPL, and built a better league. Australia's moving in that direction with a revamp of their T20 league.

Easily? No, not easily. Quite a few of the English counties are on the verge of bankruptcy. And the English did try, foolishly, to compete with India, only to end up looking like, at best, financially naive idiots: Allen Standford. At worst, they profitted from Standford's fraud knowingly.

Australia isn't moving in the direction of competing against the Indians. They, the Saffers, are pretty heavily invested into the IPL. The reality is that India has the combination of a very large population and cricket being a mass appeal sport there.
   51. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM (#3804153)
Easily? No, not easily. Quite a few of the English counties are on the verge of bankruptcy. And the English did try, foolishly, to compete with India, only to end up looking like, at best, financially naive idiots: Allen Standford.
Maybe not the ECB itself, but I think there's a bunch of money to be made if someone like Rupert Murdoch was to line up 7-8 billionaire owners and start a T20 league, promote the hell out of it on Sky Sports, and sell the media rights overseas.

I mean, the salary cap for an entire team in the IPL is not that much more than Roque Santa Cruz makes in a year. A T20 league in England with a higher salary cap might not be as popular as the IPL, but I don't think it would need to be in order to be profitable and draw star-quality players from overseas. Even if they got 20% of the rights fees and sponsorships that the IPL gets, they'd be raking in cash left and right before even selling a ticket.

And, c'mon, saying big money pro cricket wouldn't work in the UK because Allen Stanford is a crook is like saying MLB can't make it financially while pointing to the McCourts and Wilpons as evidence.
   52. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 21, 2011 at 11:53 AM (#3804162)
Brunei Darussalam

When did Brunei pick up a last name.

Walt, did you ever play badminton the right way? If I tried to play a good player now, I'd have a heart attack in 5 minutes.
   53. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:00 PM (#3804165)
When did Brunei pick up a last name.

It married Steve Darussalam last Fall. It was the social event of the season - I can't believe you didn't read about it in the society page.
   54. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:04 PM (#3804168)
"Darussalam" means "House of Peace". Also the capital of Ethiopia.
   55. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:07 PM (#3804169)
Maybe not the ECB itself, but I think there's a bunch of money to be made if someone like Rupert Murdoch was to line up 7-8 billionaire owners and start a T20 league, promote the hell out of it on Sky Sports, and sell the media rights overseas.

The most overseas interest is in India. The most interest is in India.

Why do you think that if the ECB, can't do it, someone wlse can? Why would the 7-8 billionaire owners want to invest in such an iffy prospect, unless those 7-8 billionaires are crciket nuts? Not just cricket nuts, but English cricket nuts, who lose money locally? Why not just invest in the IPL?

I mean, the salary cap for an entire team in the IPL is not that much more than Roque Santa Cruz makes in a year. A T20 league in England with a higher salary cap might not be as popular as the IPL, but I don't think it would need to be in order to be profitable and draw star-quality players from overseas. Even if they got 20% of the rights fees and sponsorships that the IPL gets, they'd be raking in cash left and right before even selling a ticket.

That is because of how cricket works. A comparison between what a cricket players earns from one employer and between what other athletes earns is NOT valid. Top cricket players get salaries from multiple organisations: the IPL season is slightly less than 2 months long. An IPL player does NOT get exclusively paid by his IPL club. He gets to play for, and be paid by, others.

Club cricket has to work alongside international cricket, and there is also the issue of the various forms of cricket: test / first class, 50 / 40 overs, 20 overs. Given how long a test tour lasts, with top players being away for months, club cricket is not in anyway like club soccer.

A t20 league in England would NOT have a higher salary cap than the IPL. Where the heck do you think the money is going to come from? Outside of international matches, attendance is poor, there is little interest in watching on TV. And it would need to be as popular to draw star quality players. Players playing in India, not just Indian players, get to sign big endorsement contracts, selling everythinig from hand phones, to toothpaste, to beer. Anything you can think of.

And, c'mon, saying big money pro cricket wouldn't work in the UK because Allen Stanford is a crook is like saying MLB can't make it financially while pointing to the McCourts and Wilpons as evidence.

No it isn't. MLB has other owners. The ECB turned to Allen Stanford, no one else. What, you think they turned down better offers from your hypothetical 7-9 billionaires, and chose to go with Stanford instead?
   56. Walt Davis Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM (#3804174)
Of course I've never played badminton "the right way." Only athletes in weenie countries play badminton "the right way." I play badminton the way any normal person plays it -- with a droopy net, lots of beer and bad shuttlecock jokes. The bad shuttlecock jokes alone probably get me tossed into jail in Malaysia.

And of course I'm making fun of yachting. Am I not supposed to make fun of yachting. Are yachters a protected class now? I don't care how much the guy makes, it's yachting. Might as well be best in the world at, I dunno, badminton or motorcycle racing or something.

And in case you hadn't noticed, they're not even using real boats anymore.
   57. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:17 PM (#3804175)

Walt, did you ever play badminton the right way? If I tried to play a good player now, I'd have a heart attack in 5 minutes.

Heh. Don't play a Chinese guy. Or, an Indonesian or Malaysian guy.
   58. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM (#3804178)
"Darussalam" means "House of Peace". Also the capital of Ethiopia.

Addis Ababa called and wants its country back.
   59. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:34 PM (#3804190)
By "Ethiopia" I mean "Tanzania". Not just now, every day. It's a rare mental disorder.
   60. Dan Lee is some pumkins Posted: April 21, 2011 at 12:45 PM (#3804199)
Why do you think that if the ECB, can't do it, someone wlse can? Why would the 7-8 billionaire owners want to invest in such an iffy prospect, unless those 7-8 billionaires are crciket nuts? Not just cricket nuts, but English cricket nuts, who lose money locally? Why not just invest in the IPL?
Because the ECB would be reluctant to stick its neck out on something like this after the Stanford fiasco, because Rupert Murdoch did exactly this in Australia when he formed the rugby Super League where there hadn't previously been a national competition, because the investment is pretty small in comparison to other team sports and the potential payoff is large, and because the IPL is ridiculously corrupt.
That is because of how cricket works. A comparison between what a cricket players earns from one employer and between what other athletes earns is NOT valid. Top cricket players get salaries from multiple organisations: the IPL season is slightly less than 2 months long. An IPL player does NOT get exclusively paid by his IPL club. He gets to play for, and be paid by, others.
The point I was making is that it's inexpensive to field a team in an IPL-style competition. A $9 million budget is chump change - it's the payroll of a second-tier soccer team. If the players get paid by other people 10 months a year, that's terrific, that's less money out of the owners' pockets. That's less risk to a potential owner.
Outside of international matches, attendance is poor, there is little interest in watching on TV.
I guess that's the central issue here - is there little interest because of the four-day format, the so-so quality, the crazy points system, and mediocre marketing, or is there little interest because people don't enjoy watching the sport?
The ECB turned to Allen Stanford, no one else. What, you think they turned down better offers from your hypothetical 7-9 billionaires, and chose to go with Stanford instead?
Because Stanford wasn't a known criminal at the time, he was a mover-and-shaker in the world of cricket who had just completed a deal with the WICB worth $110 million, and he was the guy who was going to be responsible for finding the other owners. Richard Branson was reportedly likely to be involved as well - it wasn't just Stanford.

Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. I don't have a crystal ball. I genuinely think this sort of thing is inevitable and likely to succeed. You don't, and that's fine with me. I don't expect either of us is going to convince the other that they're wrong.
   61. Misirlou's been working for the drug squad Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:15 PM (#3804219)
By "Ethiopia" I mean "Tanzania". Not just now, every day. It's a rare mental disorder.

The capital of Tanzania is Dodoma.
   62. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:42 PM (#3804235)
The capital of Tanzania is Dodoma.

I hate when countries like Tanzania and Albertbellia move their capitals without telling me.
   63. BFFB Posted: April 21, 2011 at 01:59 PM (#3804249)
It's also worth mentioning that all the Man City salaries are nonsense. Remember, for football clubs they do not disclose in most cases what the salaries are so it's down to media sources and guesswork - and very often what makes a good story. In the case of Man City they were fabricated by the tabloids and have no basis in reality.
   64. Randy Jones Posted: April 21, 2011 at 02:10 PM (#3804261)
RE: Messi being paid less than Tevez.

I read an article somewhat recently(I think linked from the soccer thread) that said that Barcelona tends to structure their player contracts with lower guaranteed money and large bonuses based on winning trophies. Not sure if that was included in the calculations or if it applies to Messi. Also, last I heard, Tevez was the highest paid soccer player in the world at around £280-290 per week, which would make their numbers wrong since they have CR as the highest paid.
   65. UCCF Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:09 PM (#3804339)

Heh. Don't play a Chinese guy. Or, an Indonesian or Malaysian guy.

At my last job, there were couple of Asian girls who used to play quite a bit, and I asked to tag along and play just for fun one day. They murdered me - I don't know that I won a point. It was lots of fun, but much much harder than I had remembered from PE class.
   66. Famous Original Joe C Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:51 PM (#3804376)

Wouldn't surprise me, but I bet it's very highly skewed. A lot of money to be made in reinsurance.
   67. GregD Posted: April 21, 2011 at 03:59 PM (#3804386)
Looks like it's plausible. Bermuda's not sovereign so it doesn't always appear on lists, but the World Bank does rank them separately and listed them 4th in the world in per capita GDP in 2009, according to wikipedia, though their estimate was 88k, and other places list them in the 90s.wiki
   68. The Kentucky Gentleman, Mark Edward Posted: April 21, 2011 at 04:47 PM (#3804447)
Nah, I live in Columbus. It was an obscure reference to the early Primer days when someone octuple (or more) posted that.

When that guy made those multiple posts a few years ago that paragraph was complete gibberish to me. Now that I follow soccer I understand it! Sort of...
   69. Karl from NY Posted: April 21, 2011 at 06:57 PM (#3804598)
#62, I had thought that joke was far too stale to ever work again, but I LOLed.
   70. Flynn Posted: April 21, 2011 at 07:08 PM (#3804608)
I guess that's the central issue here - is there little interest because of the four-day format, the so-so quality, the crazy points system, and mediocre marketing, or is there little interest because people don't enjoy watching the sport?

No one cares about domestic cricket in England. Maybe there is a scenario where domestic cricket could be more popular as a spectator sport, but it'll take wholesale changes at the ECB. It'll never be that popular - football is too big.

The difference between English cricket and Indian cricket is anybody investing in India knew the people would come so long as the competition was credible. Nobody in England has the foggiest clue where domestic cricket's audience is coming from both in the grounds and on TV.
   71. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 07:46 PM (#3804639)
Because the ECB would be reluctant to stick its neck out on something like this after the Stanford fiasco, because Rupert Murdoch did exactly this in Australia when he formed the rugby Super League where there hadn't previously been a national competition, because the investment is pretty small in comparison to other team sports and the potential payoff is large, and because the IPL is ridiculously corrupt.

Rugby league is popular in Australia. More popular than cricket BTW. And if Murdoch were willing to do it, why hasn't he done it yet?

The point I was making is that it's inexpensive to field a team in an IPL-style competition. A $9 million budget is chump change - it's the payroll of a second-tier soccer team. If the players get paid by other people 10 months a year, that's terrific, that's less money out of the owners' pockets. That's less risk to a potential owner.

It is "inexpensive" because you only have the players for slightly less than 2 months. It is "chump" change because you are only paying the players for slightly less than 2 months. You only get revenues from them, for less than 2 months. Often less than that, since some boards ask their players to either leave early, or go late, see for example the Sri Lankan board, who have requested their IPL players leave early to prepare for the test tour of England.

Because Stanford wasn't a known criminal at the time, he was a mover-and-shaker in the world of cricket who had just completed a deal with the WICB worth $110 million, and he was the guy who was going to be responsible for finding the other owners. Richard Branson was reportedly likely to be involved as well - it wasn't just Stanford.

Right. Bernie Madoff wasn't a known criminal either.

Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't. I don't have a crystal ball. I genuinely think this sort of thing is inevitable and likely to succeed. You don't, and that's fine with me. I don't expect either of us is going to convince the other that they're wrong.

No. I'm not convinced that it can become bigger than whatever India offers, and be better at attracting star players, since India has a much larger population, AND has cricket as the mass participation / mass appeal sport. Cricket is very much a minority sport in England & Wales. The much larger Indian population balances out England's greater per capita wealth, which leaves the popularity issue. Whoever wants to try to challenge the IPL with an English equivalent better be prepared to lose money for some time.

Which is why the Aussies and the Saffers did not have the hubris to try to challenge the IPL, but chose to get closely involved in it.
   72. rfloh Posted: April 21, 2011 at 08:02 PM (#3804663)
At my last job, there were couple of Asian girls who used to play quite a bit, and I asked to tag along and play just for fun one day. They murdered me - I don't know that I won a point. It was lots of fun, but much much harder than I had remembered from PE class.

Get them to play some tennis. Generally, badminton skills don't transfer to tennis, they can sometimes be detrimental, if the player's badminton style relies on moving the #### around, and making the opponent chase the ####.
   73. Edmundo got dem ol' Kozma blues again mama Posted: April 21, 2011 at 08:28 PM (#3804703)
I had thought that joke was far too stale to ever work again, but I LOLed.

My day is made. One of my very few talents, reworking tired, old chestnuts.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
BDC
for his generous support.