Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Black Jack McDowell: White Sox salary dump 101

I can’t remember who, but somebody…OH YEAH, ME, suggested that Contreras should be traded way back when he had won three straight and his value had peaked. But there were a lot of naysayers.

Now, we have to “send cash” along with Contreras to get someone to take him off the White Sox hands.

And everyone knew the Sox would eventually have to dump the salary of either Jermaine Dye, or Jim Thome. Folks also argued with me that we shouldn’t “throw in the towel” too soon.

But, in reality, the Sox had no chance of winning the division unless Carlos Quentin was able to return to his 2008 form. That predicted an overload in the outfield where Dye or Thome could have been expendable and the Sox could have received a package of prospects rather than having, once again, to send Thome “with cash” to the Dodgers.

Oh yeah and how many games has Peavy won for the Sox so far?

What the hell, I graduated from Stanford just like Kenny Williams. How come Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t call me for my opinion?

Hey, contact Judith and form a club.

Repoz Posted: September 02, 2009 at 01:25 PM | 22 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: white sox

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: September 02, 2009 at 01:36 PM (#3311866)
This is awesome. I love Jack McDowell. Seriously.
   2. RJ in TO Posted: September 02, 2009 at 01:41 PM (#3311872)
Kenny Williams should just add Mark Whiten to the Sox' payroll. That'd shut Black Jack up for good.
   3. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: September 02, 2009 at 01:48 PM (#3311880)
What the hell, I graduated from Stanford just like Kenny Williams. How come Jerry Reinsdorf doesn’t call me for my opinion?

Because you're a donk.
   4. Jose Is The Most Absurd Thing on the Site Posted: September 02, 2009 at 01:59 PM (#3311888)
There are very few character traits I like worse than people who tell you when they were right. That nitwit "stat zombie" guy does that too. If you are that insecure that you need to tell people how you are right every once in awhile there is something wrong with you.
   5. Tom Nawrocki Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:13 PM (#3311916)
Jack McDowell himself was a salary dump, wasn't he? The Sox traded him for Lyle Mouton and Keith Heberling when he was one year removed from his second straight Top Two finish in the Cy Young voting.

Black Jack comes off as kind of annoying, but I appreciate the fact that he still identifies so strongly and cares so much about the White Sox.
   6. Barry`s_Lazy_Boy Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:14 PM (#3311920)
strikethru sucks.
   7. stealfirstbase Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:22 PM (#3311937)
There are very few character traits I like worse than people who tell you when they were right.

?

This doesn't bother me, especially if the people who were wrong are still obstinately wrong. This has nothing to do with KW, Black Jack or baseball, but when someone's wrong in real life (where the consequences are real) they ought to be reminded of that, preferably by someone who was right.

How else would they learn?
   8. salvomania Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:38 PM (#3311960)
obviously you're not a booker for amy of the TV news programs...
   9. ColonelTom Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:40 PM (#3311962)
Let's put McDowell and Ozzie Guillen in the dugout together as co-managers. And roommates. Reality show gold!
   10. Hang down your head, Tom Foley Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:50 PM (#3311972)
Does McDowell think Kenny Williams told everyone Contreras was untouchable those two weeks Contreras was good?
   11. SuperGrover Posted: September 02, 2009 at 02:54 PM (#3311977)
Considering the Sox didn't really save much money, this isn't a salary dump. it's a play to get Contreras off the roster before Ozzie shoots him and to give Thome a chance at postseason success. The fact that got anything back for either really is a bonus.

These guys were essentially worthless. They weren't claimed on waivers. Thome could help an AL team like Texas, but with his no trade clause he may not have accepted a deal there. Contreras is and always has been worthless. No one was going to take on his salary, even in the middle of his streak. Of course, during the middle of his streak, the Sox were within a game or two of first and were arguably the best team in the division (their BP 3rd order record was much better than the Tigers).

McDowell is a windbag. He was a windbag when he played for the Sox, but people generally overlooked it because he was pretty damn good when he took the mound.
   12. Jorge Luis Bourjos (Walewander) Posted: September 02, 2009 at 03:00 PM (#3311985)
Of course, during the middle of his streak, the Sox were within a game or two of first and were arguably the best team in the division (their BP 3rd order record was much better than the Tigers).

Chisox fans using BP's valuations of their team approvingly? We're through the looking glass here, people.
   13. SuperGrover Posted: September 02, 2009 at 03:24 PM (#3312021)
Chisox fans using BP's valuations of their team approvingly? We're through the looking glass here, people.

Keep in mind BP's 3rd order wins didn't say we were much better than our overall record, just that the Tigers were much worse.

I don't think any realistic Sox fan ever though this team was worth a ####. However, they are in the Short Bus division and anything could happen in the playoffs, especially with a potential rotation of Buerhle, Floyd, Danks and Peavy. A lot has gone wrong the past 6 weeks (namely, bullpen implosions - the non-Thorton reilievers have combined for an ERA of 5.28 and WHIP of 1.72 since the AS break - and absolute impotence at the plate by Rios, Dye, Quentin and Konerko - combined line of .202/.364/.291 since the break) that couldn't have been projected mid-July. Still, I like the look of the team heading into 2010 better than I have any year since 2006.

I do wish we could get to 77 wins though considering I have a $150 bet on the line. Damn road trip has been a killer.
   14. Jimmy P Posted: September 02, 2009 at 03:32 PM (#3312032)
Still, I like the look of the team heading into 2010 better than I have any year since 2006.

I think mid-July hit and Kenny decided 2010 was a much better bet than 2009. Yeah, they've stayed in contention this season, but that says more about the competition. Thome and Contreras aren't part of the plan for 2010, so may as well just move on.

And McDowell is claiming this is a salary dump? 1 month for each of these guys? I thought McDowell was a dumbass when he played, but I guess I didn't know the half of it.
   15. RJ in TO Posted: September 02, 2009 at 04:45 PM (#3312082)
I thought McDowell was a dumbass when he played, but I guess I didn't know the half of it.

Whiten knocked the sense out of McDowell, which is why Kenny needs to hire him to knock the sense back into McDowell.
   16. The Most Interesting Man In The World Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:03 PM (#3312107)
This is the first time I've seen anyone use the word "naysayers" since 311's "All Mixed Up"... "F*ck the naysayers"
   17. Crispix reaches boiling point with lackluster play Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:06 PM (#3312109)
What is this, Horseville? Because I'm surrounded by naysayers!
   18. phredbird Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:09 PM (#3312116)
what is the whiten/mcdowell connection? did they have a fight in the locker room?
   19. RJ in TO Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:16 PM (#3312120)
what is the whiten/mcdowell connection? did they have a fight in the locker room?

When Whiten was with the Jays, McDowell made the mistake of drilling him. Whiten then charged the mound and just clobbered McDowell ("knocked him the #### out!" would be accurate), proving that his nickname of "Hard Hittin'" was an apt description.

From then on, the story was that McDowell was awful against the Jays.
   20. RJ in TO Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:23 PM (#3312124)
I can't check the video from where I am, but here's a link to McDowell getting punched in the face.
   21. Shooty Survived the Shutdown of '14! Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:45 PM (#3312139)
I can't check the video from where I am, but here's a link to McDowell getting punched in the face.

MLB got to it, you cocktease!
   22. RJ in TO Posted: September 02, 2009 at 05:49 PM (#3312143)
Dammit! I was looking forward to watching McDowell get punched in the face later today (on video, although in person would be good too).

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
rr
for his generous support.