Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Bob Uecker to Reduce Broadcast Schedule in 2014

Bob announced on the local radio today he will announce home games and select away games in 2014.

Harveys Wallbangers Posted: January 30, 2014 at 12:35 PM | 5 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: brewers, milwaukee, oldwarhorse, uecker

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. Tulo's Fishy Mullet (mrams) Posted: January 30, 2014 at 02:05 PM (#4648716)
Not surprising. This does remind me of something Uecker once said during an end of season game awhile ago (when Jim Powell was his sidekick)and they were talking about what they were doing in the offseason. Uecker asked about how Powell's contract negotiations were going, and Powell said, 'what about you, Uke?"
Uke: Contract? I don't have any contract, when I walk out of here today, its 'see you next year.'
   2. Mark S. is bored Posted: January 30, 2014 at 04:11 PM (#4648875)
Probably going to work on his Mr. Belvedere reboot.
   3. God Posted: January 30, 2014 at 04:52 PM (#4648908)
Uecker is really tremendous on the radio. Way different than the dumb shtick he used to use on network broadcasts. Genuinely funny and knows a shitload about baseball.
   4. boteman digs the circuit clout Posted: January 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM (#4649214)
This is troubling news. I get the same feeling from this announcement as when Vin Scully announces the he will be cutting back on his radio work. It means the end is within sight. :-(

Overall I really like Bob Uecker, but his broadcasts can be deceivingly monotonous. I only tune him in every so often and his deadpan humor merges seamlessly with his telling of true stories, but when it comes to calling the game it's always "ball 3, strike 1 to Braun" and little else. Maybe I need to listen to him more?

Anyway, keep going Ueck!
   5. PASTE Thinks This Trout Kid Might Be OK (Zeth) Posted: January 31, 2014 at 01:39 PM (#4649302)
Overall I really like Bob Uecker, but his broadcasts can be deceivingly monotonous. I only tune him in every so often and his deadpan humor merges seamlessly with his telling of true stories, but when it comes to calling the game it's always "ball 3, strike 1 to Braun" and little else.

That sounds like a feature to me, at least on TV. The most startling thing to me about watching baseball broadcasts from before about the late 1980s* is how frequently the commentators pause for several seconds at a time and let you watch the action. Especially when something amazing has just happened. Nowadays commentators feel like it's their job to never let more than one second of silence pass, ever, and it's annoying.

Radio's different, of course.

* It occurs to me that what I'm really saying here is "before ESPN took over the sports world".

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Adam M
for his generous support.