Baseball for the Thinking Fan

Login | Register | Feedback

btf_logo
You are here > Home > Baseball Newsstand > Baseball Primer Newsblog > Discussion
Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Boston Globe: The Best Rosters in baseball heading in to 2013

“1. Washington Nationals — Obtaining a leadoff man and center fielder in Denard Span just made this roster even more impressive. Hard to beat the young core of Bryce Harper, Ian Desmond, Danny Espinosa, Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg, Jordan Zimmermann, and Drew Storen. They added righty Dan Haren. If they don’t re-sign Adam LaRoche, Michael Morse starts at first base. They’re likely to add another arm to the bullpen.

10. Kansas City Royals — A talented, athletic group of young, core players is coming together. They finally have a bona fide No. 1 starter in James Shields. You can’t be completely sold on the rotation, but on paper it’s better than it has been in years. The bullpen has some outstanding arms. The Royals may make the leap over .500 and into contention.”

BourbonSamurai Is a Lazy Nogoodnik Posted: January 02, 2013 at 10:47 AM | 11 comment(s) Login to Bookmark
  Tags: angels, blue jays, braves, cardinals, dodgers, giants, nationals, reds, royals, tigers

Reader Comments and Retorts

Go to end of page

Statements posted here are those of our readers and do not represent the BaseballThinkFactory. Names are provided by the poster and are not verified. We ask that posters follow our submission policy. Please report any inappropriate comments.

1. snapper (history's 42nd greatest monster) Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:38 PM (#4336944)
Ranking the Royals above the Rays, A's and Yankees seems really silly.
   2. JJ1986 Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:42 PM (#4336950)
For a team with top ten talent, this:

The Royals may make the leap over .500 and into contention.

seems like an incredibly low bar.
   3. vortex of dissipation Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:48 PM (#4336961)
The article is behind a pay wall for me.
   4. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:50 PM (#4336966)

10. Kansas City Royals — A talented, athletic group of young, core players is coming together. They finally have a bona fide No. 1 starter in James Shields. You can’t be completely sold on the rotation, but on paper it’s better than it has been in years. The bullpen has some outstanding arms. The Royals may make the leap over .500 and into contention.”

It so sad when young writers succumb to substance abuse.
   5. salvomania Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:50 PM (#4336967)
FTA:
After my note championing Dwight Evans for the Hall of Fame last Sunday, Bill Chuck came up with this: Alfonso Soriano is a career .273 hitter with 372 homers; Evans hit .272, with 385 homers. Granted, Evans had 1,384 RBIs compared with Soriano’s 1,035, but Evans played in 2,606 games compared with Alfonso’s 1,757.

I'm surprised Bill Chuck didn't provide the even-more-relevant stats: both Soriano and Evans are 6'1", 190.
   6. RoyalsRetro (AG#1F) Posted: January 02, 2013 at 01:56 PM (#4336972)
Neither Alfonso Soriano nor Dwight Evans have been in my kitchen.
   7. Jose Can Still Seabiscuit Posted: January 02, 2013 at 02:03 PM (#4336982)
9. One kid you don’t hear about too often is righty Rubby De La Rosa, who was acquired by Boston in the Dodgers deal. Interesting to watch his path with the Sox.

If only Cafardo had some kind of outlet which would allow him to write about someone like De La Rosa, perhaps giving us fans some insight we otherwise wouldn't have.

Alas.
   8. Fernigal McGunnigle has become a merry hat Posted: January 02, 2013 at 02:33 PM (#4337020)
EDIT: Deleted for violating the no-snark New Year's resolution.
   9. John DiFool2 Posted: January 02, 2013 at 04:27 PM (#4337141)
1391-454 is the most pertinent Dewey/Alfonzo comparison you need to make.
   10. BourbonSamurai Is a Lazy Nogoodnik Posted: January 02, 2013 at 05:56 PM (#4337256)
The article is behind a pay wall for me.

Huh, really? I haven't had a hint of one.

Aside from the KC royals silliness, I recommend the piece. A number of nice updates on different platers.
   11. Tim D Posted: January 02, 2013 at 10:02 PM (#4337431)
Cafardo is constantly being quoted on Trade Rumors. I've never actually looked at his stuff before. Reading it, he's pretty bad. I'm a Tigers fan, surprised to see our strong bench based on Santiago and Boesch, both unlikely to make the team. Santiago was god-awful and superseded by Worth, Boesch didn't even make the playoff roster. And Rondon the closer, for all the front office bravado is a glaring weakness. Detroit is going to trade Porcello because they have too many starters and then sign Lohse???? Royals in the top ten? With Frenchy still in RF? Cripes. Texas? Yanks? 6 NL teams of the 10 including the top 2. Please. J. Upton is "underachieving." Yeah, and so was Gary Sheffield at his age. Evans and Soriano. Yeah, they are totally comparable. One was a high walk Gold Glove incredibly underrated star, and the other is a no-walk, no-position, incredibly overrated, overpaid but hardworking average player. Otherwise exactly the same. Boston fans, who I normally see as a cut above, put up with this guy? He's second rate even for the Detroit papers.

You must be Registered and Logged In to post comments.

<< Back to main

BBTF Partner

Support BBTF

donate

Thanks to
Martin Hemner
for his generous support.