Baseball Primer Newsblog
— The Best News Links from the Baseball Newsstand
Tuesday, March 12, 2013
Take the two common reactions to the term, “FIP.”
1. Frank reads the word “FIP” in a story about Jonathan Papelbon’s performance.
2. Frank’s eyes feed the term “FIP” to his brain.
3. Frank’s brain processes “FIP” as Fielding Independent Pitching, a metric that combines a pitcher’s strikeout, walk, and home run rates.
4. Frank’s brain reacts with a judgment about Jonathan Papelbon’s ability to produce strikeouts and limit walks and home runs.
1. Joe reads the word “FIP” in a story about Jonathan Papelbon’s performance.
2. Joe’s eyes feed the term “FIP” to his brain.
3. Joe’s brain reacts by telling him to write a poorly punctuated and improperly capitalized email telling David Murphy to go bleep himself and that we need to go back to the days where pitchers were judged on the things that actually matter, like striking batters out and limiting runs and walks.
Because we are readers of Baseball Prospectus, most of us are prone to Reaction A. But that does not mean that we are operating with brains that have evolved to the point where they are immune from Reaction B. For example, how would your brain have reacted if I had started this column off by telling you that, since 2006, no player in the major leagues has more RBIs than Ryan Howard? And what if I told you that I was going to use part of my allotted space to defend the RBI as a legitimate part of a player’s record? If I read those words from another writer, my internal siren would have started flashing, “Fraudulent! Fraudulent! Fraudulent!”
Thanks to Vagts.
for his generous support.
You must be logged in to view your Bookmarks.
: OMNICHATTER for May 19, 2013
(96 - 11:40pm, May 19)
Last: Every Inge CountsNewsblog
: [OTP-May] Politico: Congressional baseball game, May 1, 1926
(3355 - 11:37pm, May 19)Last:
: OT: The Soccer Thread, May 2013
(887 - 11:27pm, May 19)Last:
: Draft Features Rarest of Prospects: Redheads
(92 - 10:58pm, May 19)
: Cafardo: Dustin Pedroia the best second baseman in MLB?
(99 - 10:55pm, May 19)
Last: Cowboy PopupNewsblog
: Holmes: Where does Miguel Cabrera rank among Tiger greats?
(37 - 10:33pm, May 19)
Last: Cooper NielsonNewsblog
: Murray Chass: ARE RED SOX REELING ALREADY?
(13 - 10:20pm, May 19)
Last: Dale SamsNewsblog
: MLB hoping for large replay expansion in 2014
(51 - 10:06pm, May 19)
Last: David Nieporent (now, with children)Newsblog
: Hal Steinbrenner calls tickets 'affordable'
(21 - 9:26pm, May 19)
Last: bunyonHall of Merit
: Most Meritorious Player: 1982 Discussion
(48 - 9:05pm, May 19)
Last: Mr. CNewsblog
: Chicago Softball
(43 - 9:05pm, May 19)
Last: Meatwad denied pope, reveals he faked it at massNewsblog
: SoE (Megdal): It's Time to Finally Believe in the Orioles
(26 - 8:38pm, May 19)
Last: Mayor BlombergNewsblog
: Hochman: Dallas Green still tells it like it is
(9 - 8:03pm, May 19)
Last: Petunia inquires about poniesNewsblog
: BtBS: Kevin Gregg Re-emerges in Chicago
(4 - 7:48pm, May 19)
: OT: NBA Monthly Thread - May 2013
(946 - 6:11pm, May 19)Last: